Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,739 members, 7,817,035 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? (17854 Views)

Business Partner Needed. / "2 Years Ago I Started My Business With N30K But Now.."Nigerian Man Reveals.PICS / Is NIPOST Cheating Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Sermwell(m): 7:19am On Sep 07, 2016
Although iam still a full time student but I like to hustle when school is on break. My school is on break now and I had been thinking of what to do when an elderly man in my church who is a deacon approached me and suggested that since times are hard(for both him and myself), I should go around and convince private schools directors to conduct seminers for their school teachers for a fee. And by the grace of God, iam the kind of person who can easily convince people to buy my sh1t for a good sum.
The next day, I packaged myself and hit the road, and within 3days, I was able to get some schools to conduct training for their teachers for the sum of #30,000 each. So far, we have conducted for 2 schools and was paid #30,000 per school, and my partner gave me #10,000 as my share on each occassion!
We still have some schools lined up for the training but I feel #10,000 is not just fair to me even though it is my partner who does the lecturing for 2hrs 30mins. I spoke to some friends and relatives about it and most of them think #10,000 is fair enough but I don't think so. Even my mum thinks I should not negotiate for increment since the man is a deacon in our church and he is the one who delivers the lecture, forgeting that Iam the one who goes out there to overhype, exaggerate and even 'force' these private school directors to need our services.
Pls guys, what do you think? I need enough money before school resumes o! Is #10,000 out of #30,000 fair for me or am I being greedy??

6 Likes

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by eph12(m): 7:23am On Sep 07, 2016
You guys didn't decide on a sharing formula before looking for clients?

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Sermwell(m): 7:28am On Sep 07, 2016
eph12:
To be honest,We didn't. I probably thought as an elderly man, he should know what is fair as regard sharing!

6 Likes

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Sermwell(m): 7:28am On Sep 07, 2016
eph12:
To be honest,We didn't. I probably thought as an elderly man, he should know what is fair as regards sharing!
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by delishpot: 7:35am On Sep 07, 2016
Next time discuss howmuch goes to you guys. You made a mistake. Even if it is your own dad, as long as it is business, discuss every detail and even sign a contract. Just write it on paper and you both sign with a witness.
Eh for now, you can ask him for some extra cash. This is the next best time to discuss your cut.

30 Likes

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by eph12(m): 7:38am On Sep 07, 2016
Sermwell:

To be honest,We didn't. I probably thought as an elderly man, he should know what is fair as regards sharing!
What's fair to him may not be fair to you. You want it 50 50? Since you didn't agree on that it may be difficult but you can try. But from experience if you selling my service to other people you can't earn more than me since I am the service provider. We can't even earn same thing. I can just move my service elsewhere.

78 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by scouttboy(m): 7:38am On Sep 07, 2016
Think that's fair enough I know u do d selling but if u can get more schools that means more money and since u r a student (full time)my guess is dat it's just additional money since ur parent will still b dere 4 u and mind u na xperience 4 u .you can b d boss 2morrow.

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Sermwell(m): 7:47am On Sep 07, 2016
delishpot:
Next time discuss howmuch goes to you guys. You made a mistake. Even if it is your own dad, as long as it is business, discuss every detail and even sign a contract. Just write it on paper and you both sign with a witness.
Eh for now, you can ask him for some extra cash. This is the next best time to discuss your cut.
You are right bro! To even think I'm a law student makes that agreement part my mistake! Tanx

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Sermwell(m): 7:54am On Sep 07, 2016
eph12:

What's fair to him may not be fair to you. You want it 50 50? Since you didn't agree on that it may be difficult but you can try. But from experience if you selling my service to other people you can't earn more than me since I am the service provider. We can't even earn same thing. I can just move my service elsewhere.
Iam not saying I should earn more than him! But you should consider that I spend some money going around and also spend on recharge cards to clarify issues on phone and make the deal possible! The only time he spends for transport is when the deal is set and we are going to conduct the seminar! Don't you think I deserve more for my effort?

2 Likes

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by delishpot: 8:05am On Sep 07, 2016
Sermwell:

Iam not saying I should earn more than him! But you should consider that I spend some money going around and also spend on recharge cards to clarify issues on phone and make the deal possible! The only time he spends for transport is when the deal is set and we are going to conduct the seminar! Don't you think I deserve more for my effort?

Then both of you should agree on what to spend on marketing. Get a cheap phone and then let the business fund the calls and transport . Both of you first remove the agreed sum, then split the remaining according to agreed upon formular or just tell him to give you 3K extra for it.

15 Likes

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by dominique(f): 8:11am On Sep 07, 2016
He sees you as a child with way less responsibility than him (which is actually true). A little dialogue goes a long way. You should explain to him why you deserve more just the way you explained on this thread.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by ephemm(m): 8:27am On Sep 07, 2016
How indispensable are U?
Can he easily get another person to sell his service?
When u return to school, how does he manage?
If he fires you, do u have any other source of income?
What expertise does he possess to deliver the lecture that u don't have?

These are some of the things you should consider.

I think he is very fair.
Sales department taking 33% of gross profit is quite high

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Sermwell(m): 8:34am On Sep 07, 2016
dominique:
He sees you as a child with way less responsibility than him (which is actually true). A little dialogue goes a long way. You should explain to him why you deserve more just the way you explained on this thread.
Thanks...have more responsibilty than me may actually be true but that shouldn't apply here. Does it?
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by dominique(f): 8:41am On Sep 07, 2016
Sermwell:

Thanks...have more responsibilty than me may actually be true but that shouldn't apply here. Does it?

It is his intellectual property you're selling isn't it?
Your job is to secure clients and fix a date, basically what an agent does. In most cases, agents get 10-20% of revenue gotten. In your own case you're getting 33%. To me, it is a fair deal. Still, that shouldn't stop you from explaining to him why you deserve more.

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by ladyF(f): 9:44pm On Sep 11, 2016
Am I the only one that thinks this isn't a fair deal? I think the sharing should be on the net profit. Yes, 33% is a fair ratio, but 33% on what? Gross profit or net profit?

Before you got those 2 schools that gave him 30k each, let's say you spent 500 naira on transport+calls+sms each time you went to a school. Then say you went to 15 schools, and out of those 15 schools you went to, only 2 paid for the training. So before even getting any client, you've spent over 7k looking for schools for him, out of your own pocket o. By the time he pays you 10k for 2 schools and you remove your expenses, you only get 13k. What does the deacon get? A whole 40k. After all your waka about? shocked

I would suggest you give him a breakdown on all the things you spend money on looking for schools for him. Tell him that going forward, he will first refund all the expenses you incur. Then after that, you 2 will decide on a sharing ratio for the money that's left.

If he think it's easy to do PR work and convince humans being, as difficult as they can be, let him go to the streets and look for the school by himself!!! I no dey like slave work abeg. angry

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

[size=5pt]Make I go continue my search for Skrill funds...freelancers, forexers, biko epp me. N390/$[/size]

18 Likes

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 11, 2016
10k outta 30k is fair enough to me, since he does the major work in the partnership...

His contribution is the basis for the business..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Flashh: 9:45pm On Sep 11, 2016
White rice with stew without meat, is better than half bread.

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by tosyne2much(m): 9:46pm On Sep 11, 2016
hmmmm
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by JoBabs(m): 9:47pm On Sep 11, 2016
Oga 10k is a good price oooo, since u ain't the one doing the talking for 2:30mins... please try and appreciate that amount without being greedy...

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by davss02(m): 9:48pm On Sep 11, 2016
*Hello, My Sister* *Instead of spending 500k* *(Five Hundred Thousand Naira) on iphone 7* *you can buy 22 bags of rice and send it to* *your village people.* *They will release your destiny.*
*Just_saying....*

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by madgoat(m): 9:49pm On Sep 11, 2016
Sermwell:
Although iam still a full time student but I like to hustle when school is on break. My school is on break now and I had been thinking of what to do when an elderly man in my church who is a deacon approached me and suggested that since times are hard(for both him and myself), I should go around and convince private schools directors to conduct seminers for their school teachers for a fee. And by the grace of God, iam the kind of person who can easily convince people to buy my sh1t for a good sum.
The next day, I packaged myself and hit the road, and within 3days, I was able to get some schools to conduct training for their teachers for the sum of #30,000 each. So far, we have conducted for 2 schools and was paid #30,000 per school, and my partner gave me #10,000 as my share on each occassion!
We still have some schools lined up for the training but I feel #10,000 is not just fair to me even though it is my partner who does the lecturing for 2hrs 30mins. I spoke to some friends and relatives about it and most of them think #10,000 is fair enough but I don't think so. Even my mum thinks I should not negotiate for increment since the man is a deacon in our church and he is the one who delivers the lecture, forgeting that Iam the one who goes out there to overhype, exaggerate and even 'force' these private school directors to need our services.
Pls guys, what do you think? I need enough money before school resumes o! Is #10,000 out of #30,000 fair for me or am I being greedy??

Honestly u are a thief. Out of 30K, the man paid u 10K and took 20k for himself and u are complaining. Are u the one doing the lecturing? Even if u are the one going around looking for schools are u the one providing the service. U are just an ingrate who thinks he deserves it all. I hope that man sees ur posts and discontinues with the arrangement.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by emmyid(m): 9:49pm On Sep 11, 2016
Op, are U Oliver twist?
Unless U are Oliver twist, pls be grateful for once! U know how many years and how much he spent to acquire the knowledge he impacts? Remember knowledge is wealth, he is selling his intellectual property, U are jus a marketer, getting 33% of d income generated is fair enouth....Oliver Like U!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by NextGovernor(m): 9:50pm On Sep 11, 2016
One word. GREED.

Just like saying a marketer in a bank convince billionaires to bank with there bank then he should be earning same as the Manager or MD of the bank. To me that 10k is very OK since he brought the idea, provide the services and he also sells out the knowledge to these teachers.

24 Likes

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by seXytOhbAd(m): 9:50pm On Sep 11, 2016
The man is not cheating you. He is the provider of the service, and he pays you 33%? I think you need to write a list of your expenses, and if the 10k is does not cover expenses, then mention that to him. But do not make the mistake of wanting to be too greedy. Remember, you are the marketer. You are not providing the service

15 Likes

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Mbkite(m): 9:50pm On Sep 11, 2016
He isn't cheating you at all. in fact, he is a nice guy compared to some other men in his category. just keep working hard. Get 10 schools and make 100k .

5 Likes

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by tosyne2much(m): 9:51pm On Sep 11, 2016
Sermwell:

Bro, I think you're demanding too much.... 10k is not bad bro

3 Likes

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by AmNoblen: 9:53pm On Sep 11, 2016
Guy your given 10k and your not satisfied. His a man with a family and does the lecturing.
Even though you goto convince them, you can't compare it to educating others.
I hate to say it but your greedy!

8 Likes

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by worlexy(m): 9:53pm On Sep 11, 2016
Op answer these questions genuinely:
Does a marketer in the bank earn same amount as the CEO?
Does Buhari and Osinbajo earn same amount?

4 Likes

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by canalily(m): 9:55pm On Sep 11, 2016
eph12:
pls help, i cnt open my facebook with opera 4.2
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by tosyne2much(m): 9:55pm On Sep 11, 2016
Spicyleader:
hmmm
Apart from the fact that you never discussed how the money would be shared, I think you are demanding too much bro.... Just take a chill pill

5 Likes

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by eph12(m): 9:58pm On Sep 11, 2016
canalily:
pls help, i cnt open my facebook with opera 4.2
Just delete it. What do you need Facebook for sef?

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Lucrative Is Cold Room Business / Nigeria’s Economic Recession May Last 20 Years – Jimoh Ibrahim / Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56%

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.