Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,425 members, 7,830,133 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:43 PM

Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? (17866 Views)

Business Partner Needed. / "2 Years Ago I Started My Business With N30K But Now.."Nigerian Man Reveals.PICS / Is NIPOST Cheating Me? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Nobody: 5:51am On Sep 12, 2016
Sermwell:

To be honest,We didn't. I probably thought as an elderly man, he should know what is fair as regard sharing!

You got a fair deal. That's 33.33% of sales you got there, not on profit which can be manipulated but on sales. Mind you, he is the service provider so 50:50 won't come easy except a deal was struck from that outset for a 50:50.
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by egopersonified(f): 6:29am On Sep 12, 2016
There is nothing wrong in asking for more, maybe you are asking the wrong person. Think outside the box. Can this business be packaged to earn more? Can you print materials to be given out at seminars with a maximum number of participants so you can hike up the fee? Sometimes we think more expenses would mean less income, but the reverse is the case if you play your cards right. Some schools might actually think this your group seminar is too cheap. Can you have an expensive package and a cheaper one for schools to choose from? Or a one day seminar and three days seminar where they can come back with questions? Being able to convince others to do what you want should start with being able to do more than you already are doing. I believe you know what to do, you are just blinded by feeling cheated and concentrating on 30k, open your eyes and see beyond 30k.

1 Like

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by shuggah(m): 6:31am On Sep 12, 2016
ladyF:
Am I the only one that thinks this isn't a fair deal? I think the sharing should be on the net profit. Yes, 33% is a fair ratio, but 33% on what? Gross profit or net profit?

Before you got those 2 schools that gave him 30k each, let's say you spent 500 naira on transport+calls+sms each time you went to a school. Then say you went to 15 schools, and out of those 15 schools you went to, only 2 paid for the training. So before even getting any client, you've spent over 7k looking for schools for him, out of your own pocket o. By the time he pays you 10k for 2 schools and you remove your expenses, you only get 13k. What does the deacon get? A whole 40k. After all your waka about? shocked

I would suggest you give him a breakdown on all the things you spend money on looking for schools for him. Tell him that going forward, he will first refund all the expenses you incur. Then after that, you 2 will decide on a sharing ratio for the money that's left.

If he think it's easy to do PR work and convince humans being, as difficult as they can be, let him go to the streets and look for the school by himself!!! I no dey like slave work abeg. angry

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

[size=5pt]Make I go continue my search for Skrill funds...freelancers, forexers, biko epp me. N390/$[/size]

ur head Don full o, d guy said 10k for every 30k, that's per school.
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by ladyF(f): 6:36am On Sep 12, 2016
shuggah:

ur head Don full o, d guy said 10k for every 30k, that's per school.

Ermmm....can you read the post again, but slowly this time. grin
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by shuggah(m): 6:41am On Sep 12, 2016
ladyF:

Ermmm....can you read the post again, but slowly this time. grin
I'd advice u to do same.
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by mecussey(m): 7:07am On Sep 12, 2016
Sermwell:
Although iam still a full time student but I like to hustle when school is on break. My school is on break now and I had been thinking of what to do when an elderly man in my church who is a deacon approached me and suggested that since times are hard(for both him and myself), I should go around and convince private schools directors to conduct seminers for their school teachers for a fee. And by the grace of God, iam the kind of person who can easily convince people to buy my sh1t for a good sum.
The next day, I packaged myself and hit the road, and within 3days, I was able to get some schools to conduct training for their teachers for the sum of #30,000 each. So far, we have conducted for 2 schools and was paid #30,000 per school, and my partner gave me #10,000 as my share on each occassion!
We still have some schools lined up for the training but I feel #10,000 is not just fair to me even though it is my partner who does the lecturing for 2hrs 30mins. I spoke to some friends and relatives about it and most of them think #10,000 is fair enough but I don't think so. Even my mum thinks I should not negotiate for increment since the man is a deacon in our church and he is the one who delivers the lecture, forgeting that Iam the one who goes out there to overhype, exaggerate and even 'force' these private school directors to need our services.
Pls guys, what do you think? I need enough money before school resumes o! Is #10,000 out of #30,000 fair for me or am I being greedy??

if for every 30k u get 10k, thats fair enough... reason, its his initative and his product, u are just the marketer
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by MEGA4BILLION(m): 7:25am On Sep 12, 2016
Sermwell:
Although iam still a full time student but I like to hustle when school is on break. My school is on break now and I had been thinking of what to do when an elderly man in my church who is a deacon approached me and suggested that since times are hard(for both him and myself), I should go around and convince private schools directors to conduct seminers for their school teachers for a fee. And by the grace of God, iam the kind of person who can easily convince people to buy my sh1t for a good sum.
The next day, I packaged myself and hit the road, and within 3days, I was able to get some schools to conduct training for their teachers for the sum of #30,000 each. So far, we have conducted for 2 schools and was paid #30,000 per school, and my partner gave me #10,000 as my share on each occassion!
We still have some schools lined up for the training but I feel #10,000 is not just fair to me even though it is my partner who does the lecturing for 2hrs 30mins. I spoke to some friends and relatives about it and most of them think #10,000 is fair enough but I don't think so. Even my mum thinks I should not negotiate for increment since the man is a deacon in our church and he is the one who delivers the lecture, forgeting that Iam the one who goes out there to overhype, exaggerate and even 'force' these private school directors to need our services.
Pls guys, what do you think? I need enough money before school resumes o! Is #10,000 out of #30,000 fair for me or am I being greedy??

it's a fair share, the marketer and the service provider can't earn the same thing. You only market his services while he provide the services.
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by dnapstar(m): 7:27am On Sep 12, 2016
What is your location, what is the nature(title) of your training program?
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by MEGA4BILLION(m): 7:32am On Sep 12, 2016
ladyF:
Am I the only one that thinks this isn't a fair deal? I think the sharing should be on the net profit. Yes, 33% is a fair ratio, but 33% on what? Gross profit or net profit?

Before you got those 2 schools that gave him 30k each, let's say you spent 500 naira on transport+calls+sms each time you went to a school. Then say you went to 15 schools, and out of those 15 schools you went to, only 2 paid for the training. So before even getting any client, you've spent over 7k looking for schools for him, out of your own pocket o. By the time he pays you 10k for 2 schools and you remove your expenses, you only get 13k. What does the deacon get? A whole 40k. After all your waka about? shocked

I would suggest you give him a breakdown on all the things you spend money on looking for schools for him. Tell him that going forward, he will first refund all the expenses you incur. Then after that, you 2 will decide on a sharing ratio for the money that's left.

If he think it's easy to do PR work and convince humans being, as difficult as they can be, let him go to the streets and look for the school by himself!!! I no dey like slave work abeg. angry

It's [size=15pt]LadyF[/size] again grin grin grin

[size=5pt]Make I go continue my search for Skrill funds...freelancers, forexers, biko epp me. N390/$[/size]

he didn't state whether he used his own money for transportation and other logistics or whether it was funded by the man.
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Sermwell(m): 7:41am On Sep 12, 2016
NobleG1:

If your share of the deal was very important to you, why didn't you negotiate before you started?
For the fact the guy is a deacon, that means he was teaching religious stuff.

That means, he's using you to extort money from schools in exchange for religious c*rap! Did your ancient book (bible) allow your "men of god" to collect money in exchange for religious teachings?

Christians, unintentionally, keep proving their religion is bullsh*it like other religions!
Do you really know what seminars for teachers means? We have even been to ANSAR UDEEN schools to deliver the lecture and you are here yabbing about religion! Pls stop this! Haba!

1 Like

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by lazeal: 7:45am On Sep 12, 2016
madgoat:

Honestly u are a thief. Out of 30K, the man paid u 10K and took 20k for himself and u are complaining. Are u the one doing the lecturing? Even if u are the one going around looking for schools are u the one providing the service. U are just an ingrate who thinks he deserves it all. I hope that man sees ur posts and discontinues with the arrangement.
Mr man, you are the one who will be used and abused for your efforts. WTF? 10K that isn't even enough for me in a day? He spent his money making calls, transport, energy, he deserve better. If I were him, I will dump the man and look for someone else to partner with. Wetin dey lecture?
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by ugees(m): 8:28am On Sep 12, 2016
Bro

I am glad for you that you have discovered a talent you have and you are brave enough to put it to good use this early in your life.
That said, i think you should be impersonal about this issue. Think of this experience as business 101. Just another lecture, this time in life.
You made a deal with someone, he has his personal responsibilities, you have yours. In this lesson is deal closing and negotiation, with a partner. This experience is the aftermath of misplaced trust. On your path i might add.
You can talk to him, you can end the business relationship, you can play your hand if you have an upper one.
And now you have sampled all the views here learning the ideas of both the wise, rational, irrational, weird and downright loonie, those who speak from an emotional perspective, you should have learnt that going forward, you need not bring your personal business problem to the streets, rather seek a wise man, a mentor of sorts who will help you navigate life.
The sky is your springboard.
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by blaqiz: 8:30am On Sep 12, 2016
my shine ur eye
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by EzeNri(m): 8:34am On Sep 12, 2016
Sermwell:
The man is over paying by 7k. Actually u are entitled to 10% according to global best practices, anything above that is a bonus.

What about the experience you are getting for free. You will be a boss one day, if you are not greedy. Atleast the man owes the idea, he is already entitled to at most 30% according to global best practices in equity venture.

The man had opened your eyes, it only took a word from him for you to discover you are a hype man (promoter) and PR expert. Thank God u are studying law, you can dive fully into that niche.

Goodluck. Don't be greedy.
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by TeddyPendergrass(m): 8:45am On Sep 12, 2016
Sermwell:

To be honest,We didn't. I probably thought as an elderly man, he should know what is fair as regard sharing!

number one rule of business;

always iron out the nitty-gritty details of a business deal with partners regardless of who they are before jumping head first into a business. That's a major key!
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by EzeNri(m): 8:51am On Sep 12, 2016
CuteTj:
The 33% you receive is fair enough.

Don't think you are indispensable. The man can replace you (because any other person can do the marketing) and that is the end of your 10k but you can't replace the man (because not everyone can teach).

Be contented with your 10k but let him know about the cost your incur in marketing the business so that he can/may reimburse you next time.
Oga, there is nothing like reimbursement. He is a field marketer who is only entitled to his commission which is 10%, Super Agents receive 20%. Any other thing above that is a bonus.

The commission covers his logistics. So it is left for him to map out ways to efficiently allocate resources.

If am the man, I'll maximize the opportunity by employing extra 3 Agents, then I'll approve deals that will be convenient for me. Re-package the whole process and make a career out of it.
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by sammy6(m): 8:53am On Sep 12, 2016
Young man don't be greedy. You are young and should see this opportunity as a learning experience. The Elderly man I'm sure has more responsibilities than you
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Nobody: 8:56am On Sep 12, 2016
Sermwell:

Thanks...have more responsibilty than me may actually be true but that shouldn't apply here. Does it?

There are some things one overlooks for the future.
He is not your agemate. His input is higher than yours. You also said that he approached you and suggested something. The business is his brainchild.

Dont ask for a pay rise. Just hustle and market more schools. If you press further, he will drop you.

I mean it. What is maketing ? You still naive..
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by EzeNri(m): 9:03am On Sep 12, 2016
umar187:
First and foremost you made a mistake by not asking of your percent b4 going on biz, if you are going on any biz with a partner you should knw your %.

Second, is he using some of the money for materials such as renting hall providing handout for the students if yes N10,000 is OK bt if no 10K is not. Your role is the first step and he should give it a consideration.
Do you know that as the owner of the idea, the man is entitled to at most 30%. That is the max worth of any business idea. So even if they decide to run a partnership, they should be talking about sharing the remaining 70 according to the amount you contributed.

But in this case, we are talking about intellectual property. The man is the 100% owner. So the process is his.

So that dude is like his employee, his Agent and Agents earn 10-20%. So he is over paying him. The dude doesn't have any liability, hence he is not an owner, but a mere employee. In a case of intellectual property violation will the dude be sent to prison. No. The highest will be appearing as a witness.

So telling him to renegotiate is pure greed.
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by hahn(m): 9:06am On Sep 12, 2016
Sermwell:

Iam not saying I should earn more than him! But you should consider that I spend some money going around and also spend on recharge cards to clarify issues on phone and make the deal possible! The only time he spends for transport is when the deal is set and we are going to conduct the seminar! Don't you think I deserve more for my effort?

You are a marketer. That is his sharing formula and N10,000 of N30,000 is fair enough. I would advice you focus getting more clients.

Building wealth is not about making big money at once. It is really about putting kobos together.

Take a look at vicks lemon plus and baba blue. They retailed at 1 for N5, imagine how much profit the manufacturers make off one. Probably below N1 and yet they sell millions daily.

Don't be greedy. Get more clients and your commissions will also increase.

Good luck smiley
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Coldsteel(m): 9:13am On Sep 12, 2016
Be careful bro..He doesn't need you now
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by LKO(m): 9:18am On Sep 12, 2016
canalily:
pls help, i cnt open my facebook with opera 4.2

I'm having same issue. Can't access facebook on Opera mini since Saturday. I need please o.
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by Sermwell(m): 9:26am On Sep 12, 2016
EzeNri:

The man is over paying by 7k. Actually u are entitled to 10% according to global best practices, anything above that is a bonus.

What about the experience you are getting for free. You will be a boss one day, if you are not greedy. Atleast the man owes the idea, he is already entitled to at most 30% according to global best practices in equity venture.

The man had opened your eyes, it only took a word from him for you to discover you are a hype man (promoter) and PR expert. Thank God u are studying law, you can dive fully into that niche.

Goodluck. Don't be greedy.
Thanks man! I really appreciate this cool
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by madgoat(m): 9:31am On Sep 12, 2016
lazeal:
Mr man, you are the one who will be used and abused for your efforts. WTF? 10K that isn't even enough for me in a day? He spent his money making calls, transport, energy, he deserve better. If I were him, I will dump the man and look for someone else to partner with. Wetin dey lecture?

Park well joor.... I guess u are still an undergraduate. No wonder pple like u remain jobless for so long after school. Ur level of thinking is just to low.
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by lazeal: 9:35am On Sep 12, 2016
madgoat:

Park well joor.... I guess u are still an undergraduate. No wonder pple like u remain jobless for so long after school. Ur level of thinking is just to low.
grin grin grin grin I do not work for anyone... I push my own papers grin grin grin grin
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by CuteTj(m): 9:57am On Sep 12, 2016
EzeNri:

Oga, there is nothing like reimbursement. He is a field marketer who is only entitled to his commission which is 10%, Super Agents receive 20%. Any other thing above that is a bonus.

The commission covers his logistics. So it is left for him to map out ways to efficiently allocate resources.

If am the man, I'll maximize the opportunity by employing extra 3 Agents, then I'll approve deals that will be convenient for me. Re-package the whole process and make a career out of it.
When I said reimburse, I didn't mean for past deals but for him to bring the extra costs he incurs to the notice of the man so that he can consider placing him on some sort of allowance so as to take care of those costs.

In my former place of work, I was a field staff so to say as my duties entailed calling and visiting companies and I was always giving a monthly "transport allowance" (to take care of the calls and company visits) in addition with my salary.
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by chimah3(m): 10:02am On Sep 12, 2016
Kuku learn how to give d lectures and take 100%
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by sorepco(m): 10:37am On Sep 12, 2016
U r an ingrate. Any dick can do what u do. But u 10x cant do what he does. If na me na 5k i go give u. Ubgrateful ingrate.

Sermwell:

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by EzeNri(m): 10:49am On Sep 12, 2016
CuteTj:

When I said reimburse, I didn't mean for past deals but for him to bring the extra costs he incurs to the notice of the man so that he can consider placing him on some sort of allowance so as to take care of those costs.

In my former place of work, I was a field staff so to say as my duties entailed calling and visiting companies and I was always giving a monthly "transport allowance" (to take care of the calls and company visits) in addition with my salary.
There is nothing like allowance for a field marketer on a commission. You handle your logistics from your commission. The Op is even lucky he is paid 33% from sale, normally it should it be 10% on PROFIT.

When I was made Chief of Corporate Marketing in my former place of work, the Official Marketing Procedure handed down to me by the outgoing Marketing Chief was not maximising potential by hugely 17%. The first thing i did was to overhaul the Procedure. I drafted new model, created a positioning policy, marketing strategy policy, competitive strategy policy, as well as their respective policy statements. I disbanded the field marketing unit and convert some top marketers to full time staff, creating the Tactical Team. I introduced marketing info control policy where marketing info are classified and accessible according to clearance level, I disbanded the Branding office, transfer the function to my office purely supervisory, then outsourced corporate branding fully to our PR handlers and in its place created Corporate Intelligence Unit, the first report I consider every morning is from this unit and it was christened THE BLUE FILE then, I don't know of now. I was successful, thanks to this unit.

I submitted this Procedure to the Council, it was approved and according to the new info control policy, the procedure was classified as Level C (Top Business Secret) and placed under control not General. Meaning though as a level C classified document, not all LVC holder are cleared to access the document. Only 3 of the 7 LVC holders were cleared for the info, not even the Board. The Official Marketing Procedure of *** Nig. Inc. is our most valued document.

It seems am taking too mch credit, but actually the entire Market Department and few staff from Corporate Finance did the work. Anyway, I was the CCM, so the Plaque from the Council is sitting on my shelf now.

Believe me, the Op was over paid. He actually worth between 3-6k. I rather use a contract marketer than field marketers. Those guys are only after their pockets and don't care about company's reputation and tradition. I know the Image I want my company to have on the public, there is a certain public image I want for my company and field marketers can't help us make that projection.

Were u on pay roll or commission?
Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by canalily(m): 11:09am On Sep 12, 2016
LKO:

I'm having same issue. Can't access facebook on Opera mini since Saturday. I need please o.
yes since weekend! And this is hurting! I also have another version buh i dnt know the cheat code to use

1 Like

Re: Please Help!!! Is My Business Partner Cheating Me?? by sorepco(m): 11:35am On Sep 12, 2016
Is the man teaching religious studies?? I did not get that part....let me reread all over

NobleG1:

If your share of the deal was very important to you, why didn't you negotiate before you started?
For the fact the guy is a deacon, that means he was teaching religious stuff.

That means, he's using you to extort money from schools in exchange for religious c*rap! Did your ancient book (bible) allow your "men of god" to collect money in exchange for religious teachings?

Christians, unintentionally, keep proving their religion is bullsh*it like other religions!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Jumia Posts EUR35.4 Million Loss, Revenue Falls By 56% / Over 1,000 Shops Closed as Gas Explosion claims five lives in Ladipo Market / Nigeria’s Economic Recession May Last 20 Years – Jimoh Ibrahim

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 110
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.