Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,149 members, 7,825,589 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:15 PM

Time To Move On - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Time To Move On (309 Views)

When Is The Right Time To Leave Your Job? / Forbes: When It's Time To Dump Your Career And Pursue Your Passion / Reasons Why The Best Time To Train As A Nurse Is Now! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Time To Move On by VirtueDigest: 4:26pm On Sep 08, 2016
It happens to everyone; those ‘not so great’ days at work that leave you wondering if you’re in the right place. For some people, they may experience long stretches of time when they feel unenthusiastic about their job. The question is how does one know if what you are experiencing is a fleeting feeling of dissatisfaction or a sign indicating that there is a mismatch between you and your job? How do you know when it is time to update your resume, purchase that new power suit and bid your current employer adieu?

Honestly facing the reality that you may need to change jobs starts with accepting that a job change will disrupt your perfect world…for a while. At least till you are able to adjust to the new demands, timeline and responsibilities. The possibility of such a disruption should, however, not serve as a road block to your aiming for and achieving the kind of professional life you want.

What are the first thoughts that occupy your mind when you think of your job? Boring? Tiring? Not challenging or rewarding enough? there are tell-tale signs to watch out for that can help you determine if indeed it is time to explore other options.
A lack of passion

The honeymoon phase is long gone. You wake up most mornings and actually dread going to the office. There is no sense of excitement about the prospect of another day at work. You hate your job. Now, don’t get me wrong, even for me, there are days I absolutely do not like what I see on my to-do list. But that’s an uncommon occurrence; meanwhile, looking at the much larger picture, I love my job.

Your work-related stress is taking a toll on your health

I’ve been there. You’d find yourself stressed and your health failing. It’s simply not worth it. When this begins to increase in frequency, it is time to consider a change.
Cultures Apart

When you realize that you no longer fit in with the corporate culture or you don’t believe in the company anymore, it is time to move on. This feeling may not necessarily mean that either you or the company have morality issues; you just don’t fit in anymore. Do the honourable thing and move on.
Dormant Skills

If your situation is one where you feel that your employer is underutilizing you and not taking advantage of your many skills, or is overlooking your expertise in favour of someone else, you may consider switching jobs to a more challenging environment.
Sinking Ship

You have reviewed the situation and it is obvious to you that the company is sinking. The logical thing to do would be to begin to weigh your options and update that resume of yours.
Final Word

You have seen the signs and assessed the situation; and have decided that it is time to move on. Wait one second! Before you take the plunge, make sure you’ve critically weighed the downsides. Even if you’re certain you’re in the wrong job, there is a right way and a wrong way to leave. Do not burn your bridges. Do not send in a resignation letter full of criticism or insults. In your pursuit of the perfect career, protect your professional life by living and working, and in this case, resigning above reproach.

What is your plan for the future? Do you have one? Are you simply walking away from this job, or walking toward something?

Finally, when you have settled everything else, give yourself some time to be with yourself as you prepare for the next phase of your life.

To your success!

(1) (Reply)

Cleaner Needed! / Pls Advise NL / Who Else Wants A Free E-book - On How To Start Blogging Business In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.