Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,475 members, 7,819,733 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:56 PM

Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners (25493 Views)

Marvel Or DC Movies, Which Do You Prefer? / Dc Universe Vs Marvel : Iron Man Vs Cyborg (you Decide You Vote) / DC Universe Vs Marvel : Superman Vs Vision (who Will Win) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Guykhena(m): 3:09pm On Sep 15, 2016
kryptonian1987:

maybe you derive something pleasantry when you trolls...
for the records, both had production budgets of $250m each. their marketing costs were never stated, neither were they captioned anywhere! All you saw/see were mere speculations by people (not from insiders)...
please go back and find out...! I I am tired of this argument.....
Check the forbes link I added in my modified post.
BVS used $160mill for marketing(its a known thing),add that to the Cost of production 250mill,we get the Total $410mill just for a movie that ended up turning that amount into a waste..
Stop feigning tiredness,the only one who should be tired here is me cus you refuse to see reason and I keep trying to make you see one.
Yet in a post you termed me a liar and in the very next post you admit the so called lie,can you see how confused you are?
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by kryptonian1987(m): 3:18pm On Sep 15, 2016
[quote author=Guykhena post=49384959] [size=11pt][font=Georgia] Check the forbes link I added in my modified post.
BVS used $160mill for marketing(its a known thing),add that to the Cost of production 250mill,we get the Total $410mill just for a movie tha

ok. so how much was Civil War's marketing cost (separately)?
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by CzarRex: 3:29pm On Sep 15, 2016
Shittaakeem:

yeee mogbe its official you know nothing about comics. aquan popular than namor.
spiderman not as popular as batman and superman.

Now I know you guyz just watch cartoons u don't read comics.
have u seen ur myopic thinking?
when did I say spiderman is not as popular as supes and bat? pls point it out

lemme make myself clearer to u in case u don't understand English, I said spiderman is popular than WW but not popular than supes and bat get that right please...
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Guykhena(m): 3:33pm On Sep 15, 2016
kryptonian1987:

ok. so how much was Civil War's marketing cost (separately)?
Disney are way more organised than warner bros, that cost of production for Civil war was basically what Disney budgeted(marketing included).
The real cost of prodution should be roughly 200mill,so you do the maths..

I don't blame warner bros tho,the movie was done before a year of release(with the change of date)so a lot of expenses were made to keep the marketing fresh.(Too bad it was a waste,ony if they had known)
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Shittaakeem(m): 3:59pm On Sep 15, 2016
kryptonian1987:

Namor?!!! Bros wetin na! how many people even know if there (is) was a character called Namor?
if is spiderman then I will agree that he's as popular as Supes or Batsy, but not that forgotten character. Aquaman is even 10times more popular than Namor presently!

sorry bro but people who read comics not watch cartoons like you guys know namor . The dude is a popular anti hero. also one if the oldest comic book character.
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Shittaakeem(m): 4:01pm On Sep 15, 2016
CzarRex:
have u seen ur myopic thinking?
when did I say spiderman is not as popular as supes and bat? pls point it out

lemme make myself clearer to u in case u don't understand English, I said spiderman is popular than WW but not popular than supes and bat get that right please...

have u seen your myopic thinking spiderman is as popular as batman and superman get your fact right.
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by kryptonian1987(m): 5:36pm On Sep 15, 2016
Guykhena:
Disney are way more organised than warner bros, that cost of production for Civil war was basically what Disney budgeted(marketing included).
The real cost of prodution should be roughly 200mill,so you do the maths..

I don't blame warner bros tho,the movie was done before a year of release(with the change of date)so a lot of expenses were made to keep the marketing fresh.(Too bad it was a waste,ony if they had known)

HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!
I now see, you just like argument....!
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by kryptonian1987(m): 5:52pm On Sep 15, 2016
Shittaakeem:

sorry bro but people who read comics not watch cartoons like you guys know namor . The dude is a popular anti hero. also one if the oldest comic book character.

Lol!! as if you read comics a lot sef!
Namor was never ever popular in comic history!
Superman started it, then Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Captain Marvel aka Shazam (before marvel later stole the name from Fawcett) followed. Captain Marvel was even the only character that gave Superman tough time then! no Marvel's character! I repeat no Marvel's character came close to even compete with DC then!
Literally, Marvel is a rip-off from DC!
Even the Cinematic Shared Universe idea was initiated by DC, thanks to "I AM A LEGEND"!
Superman Returns and Batman begins were supposed to share a single universe, but for the disappointing box office of Superman Returns altered their plan... Brainaiac was supposed to be the villian in the sequel thus, uniting both heroes.
Josh Wheddon was nearly called on board to direct Wonder Woman as at then.....but like I said, it didn't materialize.....

1 Like

Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Shittaakeem(m): 6:38pm On Sep 15, 2016
kryptonian1987:

Lol!! as if you read comics a lot sef!
Namor was never ever popular in comic history!
Superman started it, then Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Captain Marvel aka Shazam (before marvel later stole the name from Fawcett) followed. Captain Marvel was even the only character that gave Superman tough time then! no Marvel's character! I repeat no Marvel's character came close to even compete with DC then!
Even the Cinematic Shared Universe idea was initiated by DC, thanks to "I AM A LEGEND"!
Superman Returns and Batman begins were supposed to share a single universe, but for the disappointing box office of Superman Returns altered their plan... Brainaiac was supposed to be the villian in the sequel thus, uniting both heroes.
Josh Wheddon was nearly called on board to direct Wonder Woman as at then.....but like I said, it didn't materialize.....

like I said people who read comics know namor not people like you who watch cartoons.
PS I read comics alot
I have the latest DC comic rebirth collection.
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Guykhena(m): 6:38pm On Sep 15, 2016
kryptonian1987:

Captain Marvel aka Shazam (before marvel later stole the name from Fawcett) followed. Captain Marvel was even the only character that gave Superman tough time then! no Marvel's character! I repeat no Marvel's character came close to even compete with DC then!
wtf DC are made of b*tches who couldn't handle the competition. Seeing Fawcett comics kicking a$$ with Captain Marvel,they had to cry Like sissies and filed a lawsuit saying CM is too similar to superman that's how they got the character Shazam(imagine keeping a character you deem offensive to supes You see DC's stupidity?) feeding off someone's else originality. DC have no shame.
Lol,Marvel stole the name yet the name "Captain Marvel" is trademarked to Marvel comics?stop sounding dumb abeg

kryptonian1987:

Superman Returns and Batman begins were supposed to share a single universe, but for the disappointing box office of Superman Returns altered their plan... Brainaiac was supposed to be the villian in the sequel thus, uniting both heroes..
grin hahaha you're not even ashamed to acknowledge that the DC movie division have been a failure since time immemorial. grin
Stop acting like an illiterate,shared universe have been a thing since the history of movies(the monster shared universe of Godzilla king kong ,frankenstein Dracula etc comes to mind of the 60s ).
Marvel was the only one who made it a success and a thing(where you acknowledge DC failure trying to emulate).
So it is obvious to everyone who the rip-off is,the below comes to mind.
MJBOLT:
dceu is a big rip off of the MCU....MCU (2008) DCEU(2013) grin
grin
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Shittaakeem(m): 6:41pm On Sep 15, 2016
Guykhena:
wtf DC are made of b*tches who couldn't handle the competition. Seeing Fawett comics kicking a$$ with Captain Marvel,they had to cry Like sissies and filed a lawsuit saying CM is too similar to superman that's how they got the character Shazam(imagine keeping a character you deem offensive to supes You see DC's stupidity?) feeding off someone's else originality. DC have no shame.
Lol,Marvel stole the name yet the name "Captain Marvel" is trademarked to Marvel comics,stop sounding dumb abeg

grin hahaha you're not even ashamed to acknowledge that the DC movie division have been a failure since time immemorial. grin
Stop acting like an illiterate,shared universe have been a thing since the history of movies(the monster shared universe of Godzilla king kong ,frankenstein Dracula etc comes to mind of the 60s ).
Marvel was the only one who made it a success and a thing(where you acknowledge DC failing trying to emulate).
imagine the guy telling me namor is not popular among comic book fans. See this guy even DC fans wish aquaman is as cool as namor
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Guykhena(m): 6:49pm On Sep 15, 2016
Shittaakeem:

imagine the guy telling me namor is not popular among comic book fans. See this guy even DC fans wish aquaman is as cool as namor
Don't mind the fanboys who just got to know about Aquaman due to the buzz over the Justice League,now they consider that as a fact over whose popularity,forgetting that's just true to the non-comic fans(sadly that is where they fall under) .
You shouldn't have taken him serious ever since he typed the below,obviously his knowledge of the characters is based on live action,and he is counting on the Justice league buzz.smh
kryptonian1987:

Aquaman is even 10times more popular than Namor presently!
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by kryptonian1987(m): 7:52pm On Sep 15, 2016
Guykhena:
wtf DC are made of b*tches who couldn't handle the competition. Seeing Fawcett comics kicking a$$ with Captain Marvel,they had to cry Like sissies and filed a lawsuit saying CM is too similar to superman that's how they got the character Shazam(imagine keeping a character you deem offensive to supes You see DC's stupidity?) feeding off someone's else originality. DC have no shame.
Lol,Marvel stole the name yet the name "Captain Marvel" is trademarked to Marvel comics?stop sounding dumb abeg

Marvel was the only one who made it a success and a thing(where you acknowledge DC failure trying to emulate).
grin

lol! why the insult, my bro? has it gotten to that level? if so, then let's stop this fun-arguments. cause even when you didn't know that SS is having a better leg than CW I didn't use word like "illiterate" on you.
if we can't be civil is best we stop..

Hint: at the time Captain Marvel was created Marvel comic wasn't called Marvel comic
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Guykhena(m): 8:11pm On Sep 15, 2016
kryptonian1987:

lol! why the insult, my bro? has it gotten to that level? if so, then let's stop this fun-arguments
That wasn't an insult,you were just so confident in your erroneous views so I had to call you to order,my choice of words could be interpreted from different ways but as an insult isn't one of them. Or do you lack comprehension?(I guess you'll call this an insult also grin ).
Stop playing the victim card.
kryptonian1987:

cause even when you didn't know that SS is having a better leg than CW I didn't use word like "illiterate" on you.
if we can't be civil is best we stop..
lol(you just openly insulted me not even in a Coveyed way),that was why I said oh Mighty Great one explain to us,and if it doesn't fall in line with what I gave,then you should eat your words.

And oh you weren't being civil by resulting to lieing and deceit to pass a point,I usally ignore things not directed at me,but I just couldn't let that slide due to you trying to prey on the intelligence of everyone.
kryptonian1987:
Hint: at the time Captain Marvel was created Marvel comic wasn't called Marvel comic
And you just proved my point,so you know this and yet you still stated that crappy view?
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by kryptonian1987(m): 8:32pm On Sep 15, 2016
kindly point out where I lied, please!
All my points stated in this thread are valid facts!
what do you really enjoy sef when you troll?
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by kryptonian1987(m): 8:34pm On Sep 15, 2016
I think we need to shove this down someone's throat ; D

Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Guykhena(m): 8:46pm On Sep 15, 2016
kryptonian1987:
kindly point out where I lied, please!
All my points stated in this thread are valid facts!
what do you really enjoy sef when you troll?
Do you even understand the use of the word "Troll"? Cus if you do then you should design a shirt with the "Troll" insignia on your chest,cus only a restless troll like you would go to a thread of 2015 just to satisfy your Troll urges on someone. Lol,you're really weird bro .

Stop acting like a doll,my post you quoted disputed all your rubbish lies,seeing that you've been cornered you started playing the victim card(typical DC fanboy route).
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Guykhena(m): 8:52pm On Sep 15, 2016
kryptonian1987:
I think we need to shove this down someone's throat ; D
You even had to go to google to type "Why is DC better than Marvel,give reasons" wtf grin the related searches gave you away.
So you can't give a decent argument off the top? You just lost all credibility,damn..
Funny you
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by MJBOLT: 9:03pm On Sep 15, 2016
if comic books was a secondary sch dc would be that dull child always rushing and copying the smart kid marvel work and will still fail exams

Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Guykhena(m): 9:11pm On Sep 15, 2016
MJBOLT:
if comic books was a secondary sch dc would be that dull child always rushing and copying the smart kid marvel work and will still fail exams
grin Lmao..

Dude where do you get your memes from?
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by MJBOLT: 9:25pm On Sep 15, 2016
Guykhena:
grin Lmao..

Dude where do you get your memes from?
facebook
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by MJBOLT: 9:30pm On Sep 15, 2016

And so the cycle begins....

DC fanboys: "The Avengers looks shitty, The Dark Knight Rises is gonna be epic and will beat The Avengers and DC will be back on top again."

2012:

The Avengers becomes the 3rd Highest Grossing Movie of All Time with $1.5 Billion Dollars and has 93% on Rotten Tomatoes and an A+ CinemaScore from the audience, The Dark Knight Rises not even in the top 20 highest grossing movies of all time grossing $500 Million Dollars less than The Avengers did, 87% on Rotten Tomatoes because critics received death threats but still the best it can don and A CinemaScore, Marvel won marginally

Nolan's trilogy concluded, DCCU announced with Man of Steel and Zack Snyder as director, DC fanboys: "Pfffft Marvel is nothing, now that DC has started their cinematic universe it will eclipse Marvel's, Iron Man 3 will fail at the box office and Man of Steel is gonna do a Billion Dollars maybe more and maybe will outgross The Avengers because he's the most iconic and beloved superhero of all time, the DCEU has come goodbye Marvel"

Man of Steel ROTTEN with the critics at 56%, Marvel kept its winning streak and Certified Fresh hits for over 13 movies while DC failed on their first try with Man of Steel the beginning of their universe receiving a 56% ROTTEN rating, DC failed from the get-go and its universe was 100% Rotten while Marvel's is 100% Fresh after 13 movies, not only this, but Man of Steel only managed to gross $668 Million Dollars ߘ°ߘ losing money to the studio (over $17 Million Dollars according to Forbes) being deemed a FLOP and a box office bomb, while Iron Man 3 grossed $1.2 Billion Dollars and it's about an obscure character that 5 years ago no one know who he is yet he still managed to outgross the oldest greatest most iconic and most popular and most beloved superhero of all time which is Superman because DC can't make a proper movie, Zack Snyder's job is at risk because the movie flopped and lost money to the studio, they cancel Man of Steel 2 and decide to bring in their savior Batman in a desperate attempt to catch up with Marvel, Marvel having made the Highest Grossing Movie of the year for a second year in a row (2012 it was The Avengers) and now has two movies in the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time list, with Iron Man 3 also receiving great reviews despite DC stupid idiots saying that it's bad, yet another Certified Fresh hit with 79% on Rotten Tomatoes compared to Man of Steel's 56%, Marvel won easily

2015:

Batfleck is announced, trailer for BvS drops, DC fanboys: "HAHAHAHAHAHHA goodbye Marvel, you're long gone the Dawn of Justice is here Bleep the shitty Avengers: Age of Ultron, Marvel is finished, Chris Terrio is an Academy Award-winning screenwriter and he's working on the movie it will be great! It will be amazing! It's gonna blow away all the critics and the fans, DC has officially started baby, BvS will outgross both shitty Avengers movies and will hit $2 Billion Dollars at the box office because it has the two most iconic and popular and beloved and ticket-selling superheroes of all time in the TITLE! Bleep Captain America: Civil War that movie was only announced to compete with BvS but it can't it will fail because Marvel sucks and people are sick and tired of cartoonish shitty Marvel movies, Civil War releasing on the same day as BvS is just a publicity stunt and Marvel will back down because they know they can't stop the Dawn, they can't stop the Dawn of Justice the dawn of DC movies receiving great reviews and why shouldn't they? The movie has 5 Oscar-winners, yeah, I think the DCEU willnbe fine thank you very much, Box Office analysts are saying that BvS will hit $1.6 Billion Dollars and outgross both shitty Avengers movies it's gonna gross $2 Billion Dollars!!!! So of coursen $1 Billion is guaranteed and yes the Certified Fresh rating is also guaranteed we have Terrio and Affleck on this, bye bye Marvel"
Meanwhile, Marvel quietly sips tea as the Marvel Cinematic Universe hit $9 Billion Dollars at the box office becoming the Highest Grossing Movie Franchise of All Time, while also achieving success with obscure unknown characters that are extremely ridiculous and dumb but Marvel still nailed it and made American fall in love with them the Guardians of the Galaxy, a walking talking Tree and a talking gun-tooting Racoon while also proving that they can make dark gritty serious movies that fit in to their universe like Captain America: Winter Soldier and its thought-provoking intelligent themes while also achieving major success on the small screen with Daredevil and Jessica Jones which have become the benchmark to gritty surreal television with DD and JJ and the brilliant Agents of SHIELD continuing the in-universe tie-ins and world building to help set-up the movies in more ways than none, they also add yet another entry to the Billion Dollars club with Avengers: Age of Ultron grossing $1.4 Billion Dollars and becoming the sixth highest grossing movie of all time pushing the Marvel Cinematic Universe to $9 Billion Dollars worldwide and making it the Highest Grossing Movie Franchise of All Time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Guykhena(m): 9:35pm On Sep 15, 2016
MJBOLT:
facebook
Ok,what's the name of the page?
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by MJBOLT: 9:36pm On Sep 15, 2016

Marvel goes head to head with DC in the clearest most unparalleled challange between the two, each company releases a hero vs hero movie with their two flagship characters in it, DC's flagship characters are much much more popular and known than Marvel's, Marvel adds the Avengers, DC adds the Justice League but they won't need them because there's BATMAN and SUPERMAN in the title and that will sell much more tickets than a movie titled Captain America, nevertheless Marvel stayed confidence, they didn't back down and they didn't run away from DC in the release date wars, DC runs away from Marvel deciding to release Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice on April 2016 with Marvel's Captain America: Civil War releasing on May 2016, this is the clearest most absolute fight between the two companies that we'll ever get, if BvS is more successful than DC will not only catch up with Marvel but they will likely beat them in the foreseeable future, if Marvel wins however then it's over the fight is done DC is knocked out no matter how much hits they will make Marvel will still have double the hits and double the success and if this battle between the two companies was won by Marvel this will teach DC a lesson to not dare steal their release dates or meet up with them or challenge them in any way ever again, this battle was a lot like the battle between Captain America and Iron Man or the battle between Batman and Superman, both sides are evenly matched both sides have their supporters and dedeciated fanboys it's the public's time to decide which does the audience like more? The battle wages on, Marvel CRUSHES, DESTROYS, OBLITERATES, ANNIHILATE, RAPES AND HUMILIATES DC, telling them not to dare to meet up with them again, the underdog Civil War grosses $1.3 Billion Dollars and becomes Marvel's fourth entry in the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time, yes that's right about half of the top 10 highest grossing movies of all time are Marvel movies, Civil War becomes the Highest Grossing Movie of the year with $1.3 Billion Dollars with Forbes estimating a profit of about $290-300 Million Dollars for Marvel Studios while the pathetic Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice FLOPS with $850 Million Dollars on a $250 Million Dollars production budget and $150 Million Dollars in marketing costs for a total budget of $400 Million Dollars and since studios get to keep only 50% of the gross then DC Entertainment got back $425 Million Dollars having paid $400 Million Dollars for a total net profit of $25 Million Dollars ߘ°ߘ°ߘ¬ BARELY making up the loss of money with Man of Steel and leaving only $8 Million Dollars for DC to build the rest of their cinematic universe with while all the rest has to be gambled on by Warner, not only did Civil War gross $500 Million Dollars more than BvS which grossed less than half of the expectations had at it but the movie was a HUGE critical flop as well receiving 28% on Rotten Tomatoes with yet ANOTHER Rotten flop continuing the Rotten streak that DC has started with Man of Steel their first entry in the DC Extended Universe which was also a critical flop and a box office bomb like BvS while Marvel continues the tradition and the streak with yet another Certified Fresh hit as Civil War received a whopping mind blowing ridiculous 98% with the critics on Rotten Tomatoes, Marvel furthers their curb stomp as Civil War receives 8.3/10 on IMDb and an A+ CinemaScore with 85% on Metacritic while BvS received a 6.8/10 on IMDb and a B- CinemaScore with 45% on Metacritic, in the direct battle between the two, the battle that will decide their cinematic fates, that clearest closest most unparalleled battle between the two companies, Marvel won, Marvel curbstomped DC

Now

After DC was humiliated by Marvel and had their third movie in a row being defeated by a Marvel movie at a direct battle they admit their defeat, they're not gonna even try to go up against Marvel ever again, they're just gonna do their own thing different from Marvel hoping that their fans won't embarrass them ever again, they admit BvS was a flop they fire half of the executive team who worked on the film, Zack Snyder's job is in jeopardy, his wife who is a major executive at Warner keeps him but only for one movie as Justice League Part 2 is cancelled and Justice League Part 1 becoming just Justice League and them pushing its date further with Cyborg being cancelled and the Flash director leaving the movie, DC hires Geoff Jones as the head of DC Entertainment, DC whores up Harley Quinn and has several reshoots to add humor to Suicide Squad, they also add a lot of humor and comedy for both the Justice League and Wonder Woman to try and appeal to more people by copying Marvel hoping to get some of their success, not to compete with them but in a desperate attemptt to get the people's approval, they know they can't compete with Marvel, they know they've already lost.

DC fanboys: "BYE BYE MARVEL!!!"

ߘ頉 mean have you not learned anything in the past 5 years? STOP making a fool out of yourselves, you bet on the wrong horse, you lost, accept it, don't be such a sore loser

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by MJBOLT: 9:43pm On Sep 15, 2016
Guykhena:
Ok,what's the name of the page?
all things dc and marvel,dc vs marvel universe,comicbook global justt like those ones facebook go bring more suggestions, e plenty die
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by MJBOLT: 9:46pm On Sep 15, 2016
Suicide Squad shows why Marvel’s movie universe works and DC’s does not

Suicide Squad is a dull, inept mess — a charmless and incoherent muddle of a film that left me rooting only for it to end. But it’s more than just a bad movie. It’s a bad sign for the entire DC Comics movie universe

Warner Brothers, which owns DC Comics and the rights to its characters, has made no secret of its desire to develop a sprawling superhero franchise along the lines of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. DC and Marvel have historically been rivals, and like Marvel, Warner Brothers has announced a slate of interconnected films and release dates running all the way through the end of the decade.

The directors of the DC films have played up the cinematic rivalry, with Batman v Superman director Zack Snyder dismissing Marvel films as "flavor of the week" and Suicide Squad director David Ayer joining the crowd in a chant of "Bleep Marvel" at an early screening of the film. (He later apologized.

There’s a clear contrast between the two franchises and their approaches to superhero films, but not one that DC should be courting. Suicide Squad is the third film in the DC extended universe, and it arrives less than six months after Snyder’s superhero slugfest, which was also poorly received. Taken together, the two films reveal the stunning capability gap between Marvel and DC in terms of how they have approached building their respective mega-franchises.

Unlike the Marvel movies, the DC films barely make an effort to stay true to their comic-book origins

The most obvious difference between the Marvel and DC movie universes is the pace of the rollout. Marvel built its franchise much more slowly, starting with several movies focused strictly on individual characters before bringing them all together: The studio launched the MCU with Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk in 2008, followed up with standalone films for Captain America and Thor in 2011, and waited until 2012, four years after the first film in the universe, to bring them all together in The Avengers.

The crossover event, in other words, was the culmination of several movies’ worth of stories and several years' worth of successful films. That meant audiences already knew the characters, and Marvel already knew what worked in their movies and what didn’t.

The DC universe, in contrast, launched with Man of Steel in 2013, and then immediately rushed toward a crossover film with Batman v Superman, followed by a team-based film featuring a group of villain characters mostly unknown to the general public. Instead of building toward a big event, DC started with a big event that wasn’t properly set up — and then followed up by attempting to introduce a slew of new characters all at once, in a single film.

Marvel, of course, built its universe around lesser known properties, too — Iron Man and Captain America were considered B-list characters when their films first came out. But the Marvel movies faithfully captured the spirit of those characters and the fun and adventurous vibe of the Marvel Comics world. They felt like comics come to life.
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by MJBOLT: 9:49pm On Sep 15, 2016
This quality has always been a crucial part of the Marvel Comics approach. As producer Kevin Feige, the mastermind who oversees the Marvel movie universe, told Deadline Hollywood earlier this year, "We’ve always said if there’s any ‘secret’ it’s respect the source material, understand the source material and then, any adaptation you make from the source material should be done only to enhance whatever the original pure spirit of the source material was."

The trio of DC universe films we’ve seen so far have come across more like challenges to their source material — and at times have seemed intentionally disrespectful.

The shared idea that connects the films is the potential consequences of god-like super-people: The conflict in Batman v Superman was sparked by the massive urban destruction caused by the final battle in Man of Steel, and the team in Suicide Squad is put together by a government agent who fears what might happen if an evil Superman who doesn’t share America’s values ever arrives. In other words, these movies are literally driven by fear and terror of superheroes.

And the heroes they give us are rather fearsome: In massive deviations from comic book lore, both Superman and Batman murder people. Batman’s casual approach to killing, in particular, goes against essentially everything the character has stood for. The Suicide Squad is a team full of villains, led by a crack-shot assassin that the movie attempts to humanize in a handful of laughable scenes where he’s shown as loving his school-aged daughter.

There are moments of visual fidelity in both Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad; the former recreates panels from Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns, and the latter briefly stages a version of the cover to the first issue of Batman: Harley Quinn. But visual fidelity is not the same as tonal fidelity or faithfulness of spirit: Unlike the Marvel movies, which so effortlessly capture the essential sensibility of the Marvel’s printed comics, none of the characters in any of the DC films is a truly faithful rendering of his or her comic-book persona.

DC has a serious problem when it comes to character introductions

Both Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman, meanwhile, are beset by truly muddled stories and narrative structures. Batman v Superman veers off into an incredibly confusing Bruce Wayne fever dream that doesn’t make sense even if you are enough of a comic book obsessive to recognize the swarm of parademons it features, while Suicide Squad stutters through an endless stream of mostly useless, occasionally confusing flashbacks, as if the order of scenes in the movie was determined by a card shuffle.

Marvel has occasionally had issues with narrative logic as well — the semi-inexplicable sequence from Age of Ultron in which Thor goes into a cave to hallucinate about future Marvel movies being the prime example — but has generally maintained a baseline level of narrative cohesion. The stories don’t always make perfect sense, but they are exceedingly straightforward and easy to follow

Even the superhero cameos in this year’s DC movies barely make sense. Both Batman and the Flash appear in Suicide Squad, but they don’t serve any purpose except to advertise that they exist in this world. They don’t tell us anything about the characters or advance the plot. Wonder Woman’s more-of-a-cameo-appearance in Batman v Superman suffers from the same problem: She’s a cipher with nothing to do.

Marvel, in contrast, has made its many crossover cameos into miniature art forms. Thor: The Dark World is one of Marvel’s lesser films, but it contains a great bit in which the villainous Loki briefly appears as Captain America; It’s a clever gag that reveals Loki’s trickster personality while having some fun with Cap’s ultra-heroic persona.

And that brings us to the DC Universe’s biggest problem: Every DC movie so far is flat-out terrible at introducing its characters. For early franchise-builders, that is by far the most important task: Show us who the characters are, why they matter, and why we should care. Man of Steel, the best of the bunch, presents Superman as a fearsome alien god-force, distant and difficult to relate to, and barely defines its supporting characters.

Batman v Superman introduces the Justice League by showing Bruce Wayne clicking on some stolen video files: a security-cam clip of the Flash, a short underwater video of Aquaman, a home-movie diary that provides a little bit of background on Cyborg. But we don’t see the characters interacting with each other or with their worlds, or making choices that illustrate their personalities. We don’t get a sense of their essential qualities and characteristics. They show up, barely, because DC has already ordered a Justice League movie, and Batman v Superman needs to remind viewers that it’s coming.

The same goes for the Joker in Suicide Squad: There’s a brief flashback to a backstory that suggests a more interesting film than any of the ones DC has made so far, but mostly the character feels adrift and poorly defined. He’s only there to advertise his presence in the DC universe.

That’s a consistent problem for DC’s movies. At best, they assume you already know who its most prominent characters — Superman and Batman and Lex Luthor and the Joker and various other supporting players — are, and will respond accordingly. The DC movies don’t do the necessary work to define, or even redefine, those characters.

To be clear, this isn't an inherent problem with the material. Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy did a masterful job of setting up its iconic characters: The bank heist that opens The Dark Knight is a thrilling setpiece that also serves as a statement of purpose for both the Joker and the movie. The Justice League Unlimited cartoon series introduced dozens of heroes and villains, many of them fairly obscure, in compact 22-minutes episodes that captured their characters better than any of the DC universe's movies so far.

Meanwhile, Marvel’s approach is to always require its heroes to act out their essential characteristics. There is no scene in which Captain America fails to demonstrate his strength and honor and decency, no sequence in which Iron Man does not show off how smart and stylish and witty he is, no moment in which the Hulk does not come across as a genius torn by powerful inner conflict. Marvel knows exactly what makes these characters work, what makes them who they are, what viewers want from them — and ensures that every single scene reflects this accordingly.

The essential problem with Suicide Squad and with the DC movie universe so far is that it doesn’t understand or doesn’t care about its characters and what makes them the sort of beloved pop culture icons that movie studios can build multibillion dollar franchises around: DC’s movies take their characters — and their viewers — for granted.
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Guykhena(m): 9:51pm On Sep 15, 2016
MJBOLT:
all things dc and marvel,dc vs marvel universe,comicbook global justt like those ones facebook go bring more suggestions, e plenty die
cheesy cheesy cheesy thanks ,hehe. Make I go get some good laughs jor grin.
Btw,continue your tori,enjoying it ..
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by kryptonian1987(m): 9:58pm On Sep 15, 2016
Guykhena:
Do you even understand the use of the word "Troll"? Cus if you do then you should design a shirt with the "Troll" insignia on your chest,cus only a restless troll like you would go to a thread of 2015 just to satisfy your Troll urges on someone. Lol,you're really weird bro .

Stop acting like a doll,my post you quoted disputed all your rubbish lies,seeing that you've been cornered you started playing the victim card(typical DC fanboy route).
your points easily give out the kind of guy you are. your lust toward conclusion for something you don't know is fantastically amazing! what makes you think I typed that rubbish (you mentioned) just to prove something? for your information, I didn't typed such poo...

Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by EpicMaurice(m): 10:05pm On Sep 15, 2016
Holuwaferanmi:
Hmm perfect

Loving this

All i will say is GA is winning
Cuz if you wanna know
Hawkeye is more of a villian transformed into a hero
He's a theif And also a circus performer
Aint that lame

If he is so Good why couldnt he take down Black widow
Ultron almost even killed him..
dont forget that merryln, that black arrow guy whooped GA's ass a lot of times
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by Guykhena(m): 10:08pm On Sep 15, 2016
kryptonian1987:

your points easily give out the kind of guy you are. your lust toward conclusion for something you don't know is fantastically amazing! what makes you think I typed that rubbish (you mentioned) just to prove something? for your information, I didn't typed such poo...
Quora is a question and answer site(obviously you have the app),and the related searches gave what you asked away...
I can't take you seriously again,you're a joke..
Re: Dc Universe Vs Marvel : character matchups ,you Decide the winners by kryptonian1987(m): 5:57am On Sep 16, 2016
Guykhena:
Quora is a question and answer site(obviously you have the app),and the related searches gave what you asked away...
I can't take you seriously again,you're a joke..

Neither can I too. since you claimed to understand how their budgets and box office work yet you don't know what a better leg means and how much was your so loving CW production (only) budget cost!
The pics here easily summarize almost everything about marvel fanboys...!
THEY ARE VERY "NEW" IN THE GAME, BUT STILL WANT TO CLAIM: "WE HAVE BEEN DOMINATING THEIRS EVER SINCE"!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

What Are Your Best Christians Films And Their Producers / "The Wedding Party 2" Review: 26 Key Points Of The Movie By Shola Thompson / City People Awards 2016 - Winners (Full List)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 139
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.