Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,839 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:33 PM

Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates (20738 Views)

Donald Trump To Chase Nigerians Out Of US / Ministerial Nominee To Chase Out Demons In The Power Sector / $300,000 Start-up Capital: Ghana Exempts ECOWAS Citizens (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by babzyshe: 10:32am On Oct 07, 2009
Ghana classifies ECOWAS citizens as expatriates

Citizens from the Economic Community Of West African States (ECOWAS) are to brace up for more hurdles as the Ghanaian government has wielded the big stick by classifying them as expatriates under new investment laws.

This was made known by the Ghana Investment Promotion Council (GIPC). The GIPC has reviewed all the country’s rules and regulations concerning foreign investment laws, which classified ECOWAS citizens desirous of working in their country as expatriates.

Under the new move, GIPC is seeking to review foreign investment laws in the country ranging from $300,000 to $1million as minimum capital requirement as precondition for any foreign investor to do business in Ghana. What this means is that Nigerians and other ECOWAS citizens who go to work and do business in Ghana will have time limit attached to their stay. They will also come under quota restrictions and will have to renew their status at the expiration of their permits. This is against the ECOWAS protocol which allows free entry and exit for West African citizens.
Already, member countries like Nigeria, Togo and the Republic Of Benin have frowned over the move, stressing that the latest pronouncement will shut their nationals out of business.

At the event, ECOWAS executive secretary, Ibn Chambas, carpeted Ghana for such intentions, arguing that the country was not willing to reintegrate into the sub-regional market. He enjoined the authorities to consider a review of the said investment promotion council, describing it as anti-ECOWAS that will not be to the interest of member countries.

However, the GIPC said it is still committed to going ahead with the plans that many analysts believe will shut other West African countries out of the market.

On November 28, 2007, Nigerian traders in Ghana found themselves at crossroads over a business policy targeted at their businesses in Ghana. GIPC came up with a policy that every Nigerian business outfit in Ghana must pay a record $300,000 before being allowed to do business.
At the prevailing exchange rate, the sum adds up to about N48 million. Despite protests from the traders and calls for caution by other ECOWAS members, the GIPC went into action, sealing up thousands of Nigerian businesses in Accra, the country’s capital and other Ghanaian cities.
More than 20 months afterwards, the businesses and shops have remained shut. Some of the traders had expected that the new Ghanaian government of John Atta-Mills would discard the policy and allow them access to their means of livelihood.

However, there are suggestions that the clampdown on ECOWAS citizens may be more political than economic, considering the rising volume of Nigerian businesses that has contributed in shaping Ghanaian economic landscape.

The 1994 Ghana Investment Promotion Act guarantees the freedom for non-Ghanaians and was designed to attract private domestic and foreign investment to the country

Source
http://www.businessdayonline.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5593:ghana-classifies-ecowas-citizens-as-expatriates&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=18
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by citizenY(m): 12:57pm On Oct 07, 2009
Government must do something O. These my brothers cannot afford

to bring back their money and deposit them in this hostile environment.

Not with bankers giving themselves jumbo loans without collateral. The

The thing risky Oh!!!!!
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by morpheus24: 1:17pm On Oct 07, 2009
IF no one knew Ghana has been working on this issue for a while. They are een adamant on breaking away form the ecowas union.

i say let them go ahead, no one knows what tomorrow will bring especially in in uncertain environment we call Africa
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by 9ijaprince(m): 1:24pm On Oct 07, 2009
Ghana should brace up for economic volcano. They now see themselves as first class africans. They forgot what nigeria did to them in the 70's and early 80's when their graduates were doing menial jobs in many nigerian cities.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by blacksta(m): 1:31pm On Oct 07, 2009
I totally subscribe to what Ghana is doing. Every nation has a right and should protect it local content unlike Nigeria where local jobs are going to the Chinese and Lebanese people can you imagine if the reverse would happen in the respective countries. Their has to be a quota in place for local protection

Nigeria should get it act together then we will worry less whats going on in other countries
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Fhemmmy: 1:33pm On Oct 07, 2009
Ghana will be in the shock of their lives if they go ahead with this kind of move, Nigerians there will suffer but only for temporary times and period, however, how many ghanaians can really afford what it cost to do biz in their own nation, ghana is just as corrupt, and with the oil in the land, i am sure it is only a matter of time before they start killing for oil and the leaders starts stealing the money.
So let them go ahead and chase out the citizens of ECOWAS or come up with that kinda policy of 300k$ to 1M$ for biz class, and i am sure they will get it real good and be dealt with.
I must admit, some of the Nigerians there are bad, however, there are genuine ones.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Arkison: 1:34pm On Oct 07, 2009
If I am the president of Nigeria, I will halt the west african gas pipeline project. Stop export of subsidized crude oil to Ghana. They depend on Nigeria to subsidized crude oil to Ghana and importation of any good made from Ghana.

That will teach them a lesson.

OBJ did that to Benin Republic. He closed the boarder and their president have to come to

This government should learn to look after our interest with whatever means. You cannot continue to be a big brother and the bastards are pinching your with needles whenever you are not looking

If I become the President of Nigeria I will teach them lesson

Bastards

Ingrates
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Fhemmmy: 1:37pm On Oct 07, 2009
Arkison:

If I am the president of Nigeria, I will halt the west african gas pipeline project. Stop export of subsidized crude oil to Ghana. They depend on Nigeria to subsidized crude oil to Ghana and importation of any good made from Ghana.

That will teach them a lesson.

OBJ did that to Benin Republic. He closed the boarder and their president have to come to

This government should learn to look after our interest with whatever means. You cannot continue to be a big brother and the bastards are pinching your with needles whenever you are not looking

If I become the President of Nigeria I will teach them lesson

Bastards

Ingrates

i am sure that their action will lead back to reaction, i just hope the fool called yaradua will know how to best react to get te attention of the ghana govt.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Arkison: 1:39pm On Oct 07, 2009
blacksta:

I totally subscribe to what Ghana is doing. Every nation has a right and should protect it local content unlike Nigeria where local jobs are going to the Chinese and Lebanese people can you imagine if the reverse would happen in the respective countries. Their has to be a quota in place for local protection

Nigeria should get it act together then we will worry less whats going on in other countries

There is nothing like every nation have a right to protect its local content. If you agree and sign a treaty with internation bodies you have to live up to your obligation. This is what it means to belong to community of nations.

How can you belong to a community and only be ready to reap the benefits without giving anything in return. For years the Ghanian nation have refused to live up to its pledge. They do not contribute Forces for peace keeping in West Africa, they do nothing. But they are good in beging for subsidy of petroleum products. While we create a market for their industries.

If they do not want to be part of ECOWAS, they should go out.

Imagine Britain doing that in EU
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Arkison: 1:43pm On Oct 07, 2009
Fhemmmy:

i am sure that their action will lead back to reaction, i just hope the fool called yaradua will know how to best react to get te attention of the ghana govt.

The problem is not the president alone. His ministers are bunch of nincompoons. They are suppose to pick up this issue for a long time and address the Ghanian nation. You might be suprised that the president will not be informed about what is happening.

Our foreign affairs minister and minister of commerce are just bunch of political opportunist.

Just listening to that Ojo Mad -akuya at UN made me sick.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 1:50pm On Oct 07, 2009
morpheus24:

IF no one knew Ghana has been working on this issue for a while. They are een adamant on breaking away form the ecowas union.

i say let them go ahead, no one knows what tomorrow will bring especially in in uncertain environment we call Africa

Indeed. If true, this is crudely protectionist and shameful behaviour from Ghana.  I cannot say I am surprised. I even predicted on this forum , in response to Ghanaian members of Nairaland , that we will see this from Ghana very soon . You only have to note the uncivilised tirade of many Ghanaians over the internet , against Nigerians , on numerous forums to deduce that we were not far from seeing Ghanaians (to include their Government) resorting to disgraceful, unfair and uncivilised actions to remove Nigerians from their nation. Afterall did South Africans not become nearnderthal with the murderous attacks against fellow Africans ? I wonder if Shesi and Bennyboi will show character by joining this thread to condemn this disgraceful development or wether , like many Ghanaians , they will back this crudely antagonistic act we all thought civility has consigned to the past.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by babzyshe: 2:03pm On Oct 07, 2009
@ Balcksta

It's True that Ghana needs to Protect its local markets, but its actions have shown that it can not rise to be a regional power in the forseeable future ( whatever happened to their Pan African Dream).

The logic is simple: if you make it hard for ecowas countries to do business in your country, then you will equally find it hard to do business anywhere else in the region while other countries are busy doing business with each other and building regional partnerships and networks.

east africans are already organising themselves and are going to become a very strong intergrated region soon while the rest of west africa is still chasing themselves around.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 2:10pm On Oct 07, 2009
blacksta:

My guy, think things through and you will see that your position is hasty. What Ghana is attempting to do is illegal and against ECOWAS protocol.

This is against the ECOWAS protocol which allows free entry and exit for West African citizens.
Already, member countries like Nigeria, Togo and the Republic Of Benin have frowned over the move, stressing that the latest pronouncement will shut their nationals out of business.

At the event, ECOWAS executive secretary, Ibn Chambas, carpeted Ghana for such intentions, arguing that the country was not willing to reintegrate into the sub-regional market. He enjoined the authorities to consider a review of the said investment promotion council, describing it as anti-ECOWAS that will not be to the interest of member countries.

Why on Earth do you sign to be part of a regional and economic bloc of nations with[b] clearly defined rules of membership[/b] only to then begin disregarding those rules like a saboteur rogue State? Are we not all told Ghana is now the model of democracy in Africa ? What is now responsible for this anti-democratic and shamefully protectionist move that will only draw vengeful action from other African nations? Are you not aware of the dangerous and regressive precedence Ghana is narrow-mindedly setting for Africa at large with its desire to be protectionist in an age where regional economic blocs (like the EU) are the way forward?  Will France (or any other EU member nation) be allowed to behave this crudely towards other EU nations simply because , shortsightedly , they feel they are going places ? No nation is an Island and Ghana will come to find this out if it goes ahead with this ill-advised move. No nation , in this age of increasing interdependence , can just tell other nations to more or less f.uck off !!!
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by snowdrops(m): 2:18pm On Oct 07, 2009
The recent visit of barack obama has gone into their heads. Let them pull out of ECOWAS. Sooner rather than later they will crawl back begging to be let in to the union. They should pick a cue from the Irish who rejected the EU Lisbons treaty during the boom times but gladly gave a resounding yes when their economy became almost bankrupt.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Arkison: 2:27pm On Oct 07, 2009
They are Mugus. The don't even know barack obam is a chameleon and a liar. He went to Ghana because of the oil discovered. Americans dont give a shit about democracy and human rights. They are just after oil. Did you see Obama in Egypt? Why did he went to egypt if it is about democracy? or saudi? Who are they going to fool? Do you know how many times American presidents have visited Saudi in recent times? Bastard. Africans we shall continue with our ignorance and believe the white will save us. or the white man in black skin will save us.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 2:45pm On Oct 07, 2009
babzyshe:

@ Balcksta

It's True that Ghana needs to Protect its local markets, but its actions have shown that it can not rise to be a regional power in the forseeable future ( whatever happened to their Pan African Dream).

Precisely. While I am one of those proud of the recent achievements of Ghana I have come to realise that the ungracious ways many Ghanaians are handling this success (typified by deafening  "kick out Nigerians and Liberians" rants on the net) is indicative of how this is a Nation and a people not comfortable with leading others and graciously carrying the burden of the less fortunate as a regional giant would do. This protectionist action is illustrative of how Ghana is not a natural leader with how it now wants to take the quickest (and most illegal) route out when it is put upon. NKrumah , who advocated for regional cooperation and unity , will be appalled by this development. From what I read lately , I would expect that many Ghanaians would be praising this shameful move by its Government . Many of us saw this coming . England has virtually the World attempting to enter its borders to work and do business yet it cannot flout EU laws by ushering in Draconian protectionism  overnight to solve problems that require deep thinking and even deeper solution that will be equitable for the future of regional economic bloc. With this action Ghana , even as many now look up to it as civility personified, is confirming that Africa is a region where anything goes.

The logic is simple: if you make it hard for ecowas countries to do business in your country, then you will equally find it hard to do business anywhere else in the region while other countries are busy doing business with each other and building regional partnerships and networks.

Indeed. This is an age of Economic cooperation and partnership. Protectionism , harmeful enough for even the most healthy nations/region, will be a disaster for Ghana/Africa. That the ECO (single currency for Ecowas like the Euro for the EU) was due to be introduced on Dec 1st 2009 is an indication of the progressive notion that West African nations should be uniting economic might and not isolating themselves (perhaps to ally with other nations outside the African/west African border) as Ghana now wants to do.

east africans are already organising themselves and are going to become a very strong intergrated region soon while the rest of west africa is still chasing themselves around.

Simply disgraceful . Total lack of foresight, vision and strategic thinking. No one should be told that this is an age of consolidated economic effort and not retrogressive protectionism.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by ikeyman00(m): 2:47pm On Oct 07, 2009
Yes correct obama is just after oil

politics!! yes u right

but ordinary monkeys will never know
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Kobojunkie: 2:51pm On Oct 07, 2009
blacksta:

I happen to agree with you. Now, as to whether this might bite in the future, I am not sure as of yet considering no ecowas country has made this move before now( none I can think of right off the bat), but I think it is a worthy experiment and hope it turns out well for Ghana.

babzyshe:

@ Balcksta

But what about this particular move means that Ghana’s action is about becoming a regional power?

babzyshe:

To this point, the open market policies have yet to pay seriously real dividends, so why continue with it? Most of the country’s investment already comes from non-ecowas states, so why continue what has not been necessarily bringing in significant yield over that which you currently enjoy?
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by ikeyman00(m): 2:53pm On Oct 07, 2009
@@@@@@@@

ghananians in UK are moanin on how the nigerians are driving big cars in Accra

but people sorry ooo for cuttin in

what kind of buziness requires 1,000,000

small and medium buziness abi; fryin akara and agidi inclusive??

when i try for yrs to eduacte these baboons ghana and other hate u and ur children; i was played down

soon shesi will come on my way

there are gaod an baaaaaaaid ghanaians; never trust them hahha
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by morpheus24: 2:58pm On Oct 07, 2009
They should hurry up and leave ECOWAS and aligned themselves with the African Americans whom they are dependent on Tourism for

When the shit hits the sealing , watch how they will change gear
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by ikeyman00(m): 2:58pm On Oct 07, 2009
@@@@
but why does some aggressive fellow is in the habit of objecting any stuff declined to Nigeria

i m still watch in

stupid as he is, he never make any suggestion

he only inclines to people's motive

MR man tell us the the truth

cuz last time BBC paranoma was on immgration; there were lots of lots of ghana runnin away; if na lie ask libya how may they ve locked up in their camp
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Gbawe: 3:08pm On Oct 07, 2009
Kobojunkie:

I happen to agree with you. Now, as to whether this might bite in the future, I am not sure as of yet considering no ecowas country has made this move before now( none I can think of right off the bat), but I think it is a worthy experiment and hope it turns out well for Ghana.

Yes you would because you simply enjoy being contrarian without recourse to logic . You are never consistent with your argument or reasoning and that would indicate you just talk for the sake of talking or you just oppose the majority because you think it is intellectually fashionable to be that way.

You are always pretending to be equitable yet you are now backing Ghana's action , as a member nation of Ecowas, when the executive secretary of ECOWAS , Ibn Chambas, has criticised Ghana over this move !!! Simply Incredible !!! It is like a poorly informed individual backing the  dismissal of a worker when the labour union and employment ombudsman involved have outlawed that dismissal as unjust and illegal.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Kobojunkie: 3:10pm On Oct 07, 2009
Oh Boy!!! I am yet again being condemned for disagreeing with another's point of view. What is new? lipsrsealed
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by morpheus24: 3:11pm On Oct 07, 2009
Gbawe:

Yes you would because you simply enjoy being contrarian without recourse to logic . You are never consistent with your argument or reasoning and that would indicate you just talk for the sake of talking or you just oppose the majority because you think it is intellectually fashionable to be that way.

You are always pretending to be equitable yet you are now backing Ghana's action , as a member nation of Ecowas, when the executive secretary of ECOWAS , Ibn Chambas, has criticised Ghana over this move !!! Simply Incredible !!! It is like a poorly informed individual backing the dismissal of a worker when the labour union involve has outlawed that dismissal as unjust and illegal.

I concur!!
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Kobojunkie: 3:13pm On Oct 07, 2009
Arkison:

They are Mugus. The don't even know barack obam is a chameleon and a liar. He went to Ghana because of the oil discovered. Americans dont give a shit about democracy and human rights. They are just after oil. Did you see Obama in Egypt? Why did he went to egypt if it is about democracy? or saudi? Who are they going to fool? Do you know how many times American presidents have visited Saudi in recent times? Bastard. Africans we shall continue with our ignorance and believe the white will save us. or the white man in black skin will save us.

Oh come on!!! Aren't we being overly sentimental and irrational here? The country has yet to mention anything about wanting to pull out of Ecowas. There is no mention of Obama in all this, so why bring that up?  It simply plans to re-address issues so it can gain more from it's relationship with foreign companies. Why condemn it in such a way? Shouldn't every country, even Nigeria, be working on similar ideas?
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by morpheus24: 3:24pm On Oct 07, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Oh come on!!! Aren't we being overly sentimental and irrational here? The country has yet to mention anything about wanting to pull out of Ecowas. There is no mention of Obama in all this, so why bring that up?  It simply plans to re-address issues so it can gain more from it's relationship with foreign companies. Why condemn it in such a way? Shouldn't every country, even Nigeria, be working on similar ideas?
I notice you like to bring up the "SENTIMENTAL" arguement on most of your posts.

This is a very upsetting reoccuring trend I have noticed in many of your rebuttals.

don't you think we have been reminded enough of this inherent flaw only you notice in the rest of us.

Just my opinion ( Not an insult).
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Moves: 3:25pm On Oct 07, 2009
This is a wrong move that should be condemned in totality, why be a member of Ecowas when you are not willing to play by the rules, They cannot do so whilst they are part of  Ecowas, I expect Ojo to take up the gauntlet, atleast he is experienced enough , where is that stupid AGF " I dont Care" when you need him, he should be reading ghana the riot act,

As an aside can anyone tell me if Ecowas treaty was in place during the "Ghana Must Go" era, cos it might be a pay back time ,
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by babzyshe: 3:45pm On Oct 07, 2009
Kobojunkie:

But what about this particular move means that Ghana’s action is about becoming a regional power?

The truth is, The race for Regional Dominance in West africa is between Nigeria and Ghana (this is an historic fact and is evident in the increasing rhetorics between the two countries) and this informs the Foreign policies of the 2 countries in towards d region.

Kobojunkie:

To this point, the open market policies have yet to pay seriously real dividends, so why continue with it? Most of the country’s investment already comes from non-ecowas states, so why continue what has not been necessarily bringing in significant yield over that which you currently enjoy?  

If this is the logic on which their policies are based, then they are obviously not as smart as they tout themselves to be. the question they should be asking is why are they not benefitting from the free markets while Nigeria is? Nigerian owned companies, contribute about 17% of Ghana's GDP, what is Nigeria doing right that they are doing wrong? Why are ghanian companies not penetrating the region? Why is it that ghanian goods do not have a regional market? Unless Ghana discover's oil in large quantities, I do not think they can acheive their desired dominance by going it alone. World economies have gone beyong national boundries and are now grouped into producer, consumer and prosumer regions which can include many countries.

Another truth is that the west does not care about Africa, even if you have Free elections, white people stable polity etc it is still d dark continent. Southafricans discovered this sometime ago and have since focused their attention on africa this is evident by their level of penetration of African markets. East Africans are building a region wide economy based simply on the common swahili language, that's all they have in common and they are building a regional empire.
After Ghana, Nigeria and Liberia are the only full english speakin countries in the region. the assumption is that these countries will have better ties cooperation but such is not the case.
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by morpheus24: 3:55pm On Oct 07, 2009
babzyshe:

After Ghana, Nigeria and Liberia are the only full english speakin countries in the region. the assumption is that these countries will have better ties cooperation but such is not the case.

Bros I tire oh! The beef is becoming very un healthy,
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by Kobojunkie: 4:19pm On Oct 07, 2009
babzyshe:

The truth is, The race for Regional Dominance in West africa is between Nigeria and Ghana (this is an historic fact and is evident in the increasing rhetorics between the two countries) and this informs the Foreign policies of the 2 countries in towards d region.
Agreed, but this still does not make this move about REGIONAL DOMINANCE.

babzyshe:

If this is the logic on which their policies are based, then they are obviously not as smart as they tout themselves to be. the question they should be asking is why are they not benefitting from the free markets while Nigeria is?
Are you sure they have not asked that question several times over before deciding this move might likely not affect the relationship much or might actually benefit them more than it would hurt them?

babzyshe:

Nigerian owned companies, contribute about 17% of Ghana's GDP, what is Nigeria doing right that they are doing wrong? Why are ghanian companies not penetrating the region? Why is it that ghanian goods do not have a regional market? Unless Ghana discover's oil in large quantities, I do not think they can acheive their desired dominance by going it alone. World economies have gone beyong national boundries and are now grouped into producer, consumer and prosumer regions which can include many countries.

Hhmm…. I wonder if you are not just looking at this solely from the Nigerian side. Dominance aside, can we try to think of this from the other side. You claim Nigerian owned companies contribute about 17% of the Ghanian GDP, let’s run with that for now. If the same resources can be given over to foreign companies and increase that number from 17% to about 25% for Ghana, why should Ghana continue with what it has now?

We heard recently of companies like PZ planning on moving over from Nigeria to Ghana.  This move by the Ghanaians will likely FORCE the companies to work to foster better relationships with the country and people than was obtained during the decades with Nigeria. The many Nigerian owned businesses you speak of probably know their businesses would likely not do as well in Nigeria, so why is Ghana not allowed to make sure it gets more from them as it can, and at the same time ensure that it’s own companies can grow to compete, even at home?

The way I see it, Nigeria could have benefitted from a similar move, and it is not too late for us to adopt similar measures to protect ourselves from a complete takeover of some kind. Our government has been, over the past couple of years selling our own resources to foreign companies and has been getting little back in returns. We the people have been losing out on the most part. Nigerian companies, in Nigeria, can’t even compete with many of these foreign companies and the many that can, have had to do so as a monopoly of some sort.   I understand the whole Ecowas agreement and all but there comes a time when every agreement may need to be revised for the good of the people.

babzyshe:

Another truth is that the west does not care about Africa, even if you have Free elections, white people stable polity etc it is still d dark continent. Southafricans discovered this sometime ago and have since focused their attention on africa this is evident by their level of penetration of African markets. East Africans are building a region wide economy based simply on the common swahili language, that's all they have in common and they are building a regional empire.

What has THE WEST to do with this again oo?? Can we for once discuss African decisions without trying to INJECT THE WEST into every nook we can?
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by spoOne: 4:25pm On Oct 07, 2009
Is it possible that these countries are sensing the weakness in our leadership – and hence going for the jugular?
Re: Ghana's Plan To Chase Out Nigerians - Classifies Ecowas Citizens As Expertrates by MrCrackles(m): 4:30pm On Oct 07, 2009
Kobojunkie:

Worthy with a lot of heavy pro's and con's. . . .
I am watching this move unfold patiently!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Major PDP Financier Arthur Eze Visits Buhari / Buhari Commissions State, Federal Projects, Participates At APC Nasarawa Rally / 2023 Presidency: Mass Defection Looms In South East PDP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.