Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,591 members, 7,812,928 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa (9847 Views)

The Must Know Taxes For Doing Business In Nigeria / Cocoa Production In Nigeria: How To Start The Business / What Kind Of Good Business Will This Amount Start Thanks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by johntaiwo123(m): 6:35pm On Sep 09, 2016
by Tolu Olubunmi (Social Entrepreneur)

When some think about entrepreneurship, they imagine how the Gates, Brins, Winfreys, and Dangotes of the world are feeding economic mobility and self-sufficiency. For me, however, the story of entrepreneurship not reserved for a select and privileged few begins in Lagos, Nigeria.

Growing up in Nigeria I was surrounded by entrepreneurship, although we simply referred to it as “doing business.” I saw that entrepreneurial spirit in mother who ran three profitable businesses at any given time; my uncle, the medical doctor, who sold shoes and suits bought during his family’s Italian vacations to friends and family; and the street-hawkers who had everything I could possibly need to get through 3 hours in traffic on Third Mainland Bridge.

From the very highly educated to those whose only education came from life lessons, the hustler mentality born out of economic need was alive and well. No matter your stated 9 to 5 (or lack thereof), you were expected to hold the moniker of businessman or businesswoman. And those who did were respected for it. So it came as no surprise to my father that my plan to pay for college was simply to “invent something.” (I still believe earning a full scholarship stifled my ability to have invented the Hoverboard).

In Nigeria, as in much of Africa, there has always been a cultural expectation to create opportunities for yourself and foster your own self-sufficiency. This need to be entrepreneurial is as much a part of what it means to be Nigerian, as accumulating as many degrees as possible.

Turns out, I’m not the only one who sees this. Last week, Facebook founder and CEO, Mark Zuckerberg made a “surprise” visit to Nigeria. While touring the nation’s economic capital, Lagos, Zuckerberg said he chose to come there first “because of the vibrant developers and entrepreneurial ecosystem.” As I heard this, I thought, of course!

Zuckerberg’s first stop was to Co-creation Hub Nigeria (CcHUB) in Yaba, which connects and clusters those innovating around many social problems in Nigeria. While reflecting on his time in Lagos at a Town Hall Zuckerberg said, “the reason I am here now is because this is where a lot of the future will get built.” I couldn’t agree more.

In Africa, there is a natural disposition towards innovation - a passion for living that focuses on solutions rather than problems - within this innate ability lies the key to sustainable development in Africa but this cannot be realized without the right type of investments. Take for example Mobile Banking. Africa is leading the way in the adoption of mobile banks. According to the World Bank, 16 percent of sub-Saharan mobile users have used their phones for banking purposes. This is a larger portion than any other global region and it is still growing. With further development, mobile payment applications could generate as much as $1.5 billion in sales by 2019. This is an economically viable investment that also solves serious social problems for underserved communities, including reducing the vulnerability to theft suffered by cash-only vendors, settling bills without the hassle of expensive and time-consuming travel, and access to loans for the unbanked majority.

Revenue potential in a number of industries continues to drive interest in Africa but for the most part, western investments in Africans has tended to focus on aid and humanitarian relief. Although necessary, the long-term development plan for Africa must also include investments in indigenous entrepreneurs and startups. Africa’s growth and sustainability require people innovating around issues peculiar to Africa, and Africans are doing that better than anyone else.

On the list of startups that Zuckerberg visited is one that he is already backing, Andela - a solutions focused enterprise that trains engineers in Africa and places them in global tech jobs. The Chan-Zuckerberg Initiative’s $24 million investment in this startup co-founded by Nigerian Iyinoluwa Aboyeji, models investments in Africans innovating in support of Africa.

Andela first caught my attention last year while exploring technology solutions that allow for greater inclusion of underserved communities in the global workforce. Last September, I toured the Yaba campus with Iyinoluwa and met some of the fellows Andela had trained and placed with various global tech companies. I witnessed first hand the challenges inherent in closing the gap between where talent lives and opportunities exists - with the most glaring being poor infrastructure. But, what I also saw was a burgeoning social enterprise responding to Africa’s tech training deficits through a self-funding model of education; empowering women through increased participation in the workforce; and solving remote work concerns around infrastructure deficits and isolation.

In the two years since its inception, Andela has trained just under 200 engineers, accepting them from a pool of 40,000 applicants. In an Africa currently home to 1.2 billion people with a projected rise to 2.4 billion by the year 2050, there is an urgent need to close the skills gaps and significantly increase access to jobs.

After leaving Andela, I headed over to the Nigeria-focused tech startup investment fund 440 for Deal Weekend Lagos - a 24-hour event where shortlisted startups compete to receive an equity investment of between $100k and $250k. There, I was surrounded by a community of innovators committed to advancing Nigeria’s tech ecosystem. Throughout the event was a palpable determination to find and nurture innovation - impassioned young Africans fighting for solutions for themselves and their communities.

Africa has the youngest, fastest-growing population in the world, with more people joining the labor force over the next 20 years than the rest of the world combined. This growth cannot be sustained by a purely resource-based economy, therefore, accommodations must be made to support a shift to an entrepreneurial and knowledge-based economy. Nurturing the CcHUBs, Andelas, and 440s of Africa through investments, both from within Africa and from the West, gets us closer to Africa’s best future which is undeniably tied to the success of Africa’s diversity of entrepreneurs.

Source:http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/11928668

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Temitope223(m): 8:43pm On Sep 09, 2016
Nice post

1 Like

Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by veekid(m): 9:24pm On Sep 09, 2016
Good news
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by amamazzing: 9:25pm On Sep 09, 2016
Nobody on the first page read the post. Y'all clicked for the pics. This isn't instagram!!

6 Likes

Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Nobody: 9:25pm On Sep 09, 2016
Technological Innovation drives the future. The "guanxi" mentality in play in Africa.

Need something on Jumia at discount?
Contact me now!
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by nototribalist: 9:25pm On Sep 09, 2016
Who ever invest someone $$ in this present Nigerian economy, that person should better wait until things stabilize with CBN. Otherwise suicide things o. Me and my co founder would have launched our startup, but under this recession na die and waste of money

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by aninexzy(m): 9:25pm On Sep 09, 2016
Now Dat we All av heaRd ds, its bera we wake up n get to work.
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Weedcrusher: 9:25pm On Sep 09, 2016
Nice piece
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by PrinceAbinibi: 9:25pm On Sep 09, 2016
summary please.
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by gbemmy2k10(m): 9:26pm On Sep 09, 2016
true. nice post
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Kfed4ril(m): 9:26pm On Sep 09, 2016
Ok
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by podium(m): 9:26pm On Sep 09, 2016
de post wasn't read by people above me...
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by fergieboy: 9:27pm On Sep 09, 2016
K
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Nobody: 9:27pm On Sep 09, 2016
Summary please
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Nobody: 9:28pm On Sep 09, 2016
Leave Map zukabegged alone, and create job for 48.9million youths. Even the Afonjas, Hawusars and Ipods, Ipads and Iphone's needs job. We are hungry. Infact, Nigeria is not in Recession, rather ''WE ARE IN BUHARI'' . Trainingceos

2 Likes

Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by mikkypel(m): 9:29pm On Sep 09, 2016
Walahi... Just say, please Nigeria youths, engage in business.. Biko, that epistle too long

1 Like

Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by gabazin080(m): 9:32pm On Sep 09, 2016
who would like to do business with us with our bad economy.

sai dullarpo

1 Like

Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by temmypotter(m): 9:34pm On Sep 09, 2016
beautiful analysis
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Lovelynature(m): 9:34pm On Sep 09, 2016
Ok
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Btruth: 9:34pm On Sep 09, 2016
amamazzing:
The people above me didn't read the post
even me too will not read it...., but nice post sha.

grin
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Bifwoli: 9:36pm On Sep 09, 2016
How is this Zuckerberg visit going to fix Agege,Kubwa ,Mushin ,Ijora Badia ,Bodija,oworonshoki or Ajegunle slums?

These slum dwellers will still live in abject conditions regardless.

1 Like

Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Haphard(m): 9:36pm On Sep 09, 2016
Ahbeg sum1 should summarise the whole tin 4me, my eyelids are kissing themselves.
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Nobody: 9:37pm On Sep 09, 2016
Nigerians be busy writing long epistles. Americans are busy thinking out of the box.

2 Likes

Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Pavore9: 9:38pm On Sep 09, 2016
TrainingCEOs:
Leave Map zukabegged alone, and create job for 48.9million youths. Even the Afonjas, Hawusars and Ipods, Ipads and Iphone's needs job. We are hungry. Infact, Nigeria is not in Recession, rather ''WE ARE IN BUHARI'' . Trainingceos

Reeling in laughter.....hunger does not discriminate between an APC and a PDP e-warrior! cheesy cheesy cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by weblord1900: 9:41pm On Sep 09, 2016
Ok
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Smallb0b0(f): 9:43pm On Sep 09, 2016
So was Diz why oga Seun didn't get meet him. Or mynd44 were u also sleeping when mark was in naijq

2 Likes

Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Nobody: 9:44pm On Sep 09, 2016
Bet eye just told the truth about every matter. Afonjas , hawusars and the ipads, ipods and iphones needs jobs. Help us, edaku sir.
Pavore9:

Reeling in laughter.....hunger does not discriminate between an APC and a PDP e-warrior! cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Nobody: 9:46pm On Sep 09, 2016
Ok.

listen to my songs at http://my.notjustok.com/p/oracle/
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Uchenna42(m): 9:46pm On Sep 09, 2016
Zuckerberg again!! sad sad

2 Likes

Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by Pavore9: 9:47pm On Sep 09, 2016
TrainingCEOs:
Bet eye just told the truth about every matter. Afonjas , hawusars and the ipads, ipods and iphones needs jobs. Help us, edaku sir.

It is so sad but there are so much that needs kick starting that will absorbs so many unengaged hands.
Re: Zuckerberg In Nigeria: How “doing Business” Will Change Africa by dermmy(m): 9:48pm On Sep 09, 2016
We need stable power supply.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Introducing Afriq Arbitrage System / Segun Agbaje's Performance As Guarantee Trust Bank (GTB) MD / Price Of Petrol In War-torn Libya Is N19.87 Per Litre

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.