Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,715 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:49 PM

Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? (29033 Views)

China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth / The Mysterious And Unexplored Corners Of The Earth(Photos) / The Earth Is FLAT. Discuss! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Explorers(m): 6:31pm On Sep 11, 2016
Everyone has wanted to dig a hole down to the center of the Earth at some time in their lives.

My friends and I tried to dig down as far as we could go. I never told them my goal, but in my heart, we were going all the way through. In the end we actually got down about 2 meters, but the bottom kept filling in with water. Of course, digging down to the centre of the Earth was always out of reach.

In order to be able to dig down to the center of the Earth, my friends and I would have needed to dig our way through 6,378km of rock, mantle, and iron. Most of this journey would be through temperatures hot enough to melt rock, getting as high as 6,726°C at the center.

So if you dug through the deepest ocean floor you could get about 0.1% of the way to the core.

The first 35 km or so of digging would be through the outer crust of the Earth. Assuming we could actually get through the solid rock, and keep water from filling back into our super deep hole, we might actually be able to make some progress through this.

The deeper you go, the higher the temperature. One of the deepest mines in the world is the TauTona gold mine in South Africa, a mere 3.6 kilometers deep.
Even though this just scratches the surface of the Earth, temperatures at the bottom of TauTona already get as high as 60°C.

Once you break through the crust, you’re into the Earth’s mantle. At this point, you’re looking at about 3,000 km of rock heated to such a high temperature that it’s a liquid.

Volcanoes are points on the Earth when magma from the mantle breaks through to the surface. How we’d dig through that, i have no idea. But let’s say we could. Then we’d break through into the core of Earth.

This region extends for another 3,500 km, and its comprised almost entirely of iron, with a little nickel, and some other trace metals. And it’s even hotter than the mantle above it. This is where temperatures get to over 6,000°C.

Assuming we could bore through the iron, and could withstand the heat, we could get down to the center of the Earth. At this point, we would have traveled 6,378 km to complete our journey. And then another 6,378 km to get through the other side and visit the friends in China.

Source: http://www.universetoday.com/15020/how-far-down-is-the-center-of-the-earth/

29 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by SPDAZZY(f): 6:33pm On Sep 11, 2016
Let's explore the earth with Explorers.

We will visit China, so let's start the digging.

16 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 6:33pm On Sep 11, 2016
1st geography student in class. Unleashes my bag's content. Sir, should i clean the board? grin wink

34 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Upnepaa(m): 6:33pm On Sep 11, 2016
Where is my pen and jotter cool

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by STFUand4kMeHARD(m): 6:34pm On Sep 11, 2016
SPDAZZY:
Let's explore the earth with Explorers.
O yea! kiss
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Explorers(m): 6:55pm On Sep 11, 2016
There is enough gold at the core of the earth to cover the surface of the planet in 12’ to 13’ depth.

Unfortunately, it’s 1,800 miles below our feet and at many thousands of degrees in temperature.

24 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by herald9: 6:56pm On Sep 11, 2016
You mean if we dig through the centre of the earth 6738km X2, that we can actually burst in China? Does it mean the solid part of the earth is 'floating'?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Davidhero(m): 7:17pm On Sep 11, 2016
Explorers:
There is enough gold at the core of the earth to cover the surface of the planet in 12’ to 13’ depth.

Unfortunately, it’s 1,800 miles below our feet and at many thousands of degrees in temperature.

Wow, am amazed.

Hw did d gold get there?

6 Likes

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by tk4rd: 7:34pm On Sep 11, 2016
Explorers:

Then let's take the furking risk to the Hell Below and get extra-rich...
We need GOLD..
We need the MONEY..

30 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Ishilove: 7:37pm On Sep 11, 2016
This is very educative.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by omobs(m): 7:38pm On Sep 11, 2016
chief Dr explorer
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Explorers(m): 7:40pm On Sep 11, 2016
Davidhero:

Wow, am amazed.

Hw did d gold get there?

No idea bro, maybe the scientists in the house can help us.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Explorers(m): 7:49pm On Sep 11, 2016
tk4rd:
Then let's take the furking risk to the Hell Below and get extra-rich...
We need GOLD..
We need the MONEY..

Getting there is the issue bro. Almost 7000km down, that's far more than flying from Lagos to London which will take a plane about 6hours. Now tell me the technology that can dig that, we've not talked about the temperature on the way down that's over 6000°C.

Its not possible.

34 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Davidhero(m): 7:59pm On Sep 11, 2016
Explorers:

Its not possible.

Certainly not in this Century.

6 Likes

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Nobody: 8:03pm On Sep 11, 2016
*explorer the wicked thread producer**

Explorers:

Getting there is the issue bro. Almost 7000km down, far more than flying from Lagos to London that will take a plane about 6hours. Now tell me the technology that can dig that, we are not talking about the temperature over 6000°C.
Its not possible.

Not just possible yet. But my question is, digging that deep to the core of the earth won't cause a crack?

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Explorers(m): 8:31pm On Sep 11, 2016
hopsydboi:
*explorer the wicked thread producer**

Not just possible yet. But my question is, digging that deep to the core of the earth won't cause a crack?

That's possible, but i believe advanced machineries will handle that. I think the problem is the heat, if not they would have drilled to the core with advanced equipments. By the time they drill for 5 to 10years , they will get to the core.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Mcoldsoja(m): 9:17pm On Sep 11, 2016
If dem no fit drill reach centre, how dem take kno wetin dey inside di earth?

112 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by mcyemite(m): 9:28pm On Sep 11, 2016
Master explorers,please sir am just wondering..how was all these facts derived,since it all seems like an impossible feat..?

4 Likes

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by DEIFIED(m): 9:51pm On Sep 11, 2016
And.this is the earth which is like a Peeble compare to the sun.

4 Likes

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 11, 2016
Mcoldsoja:
If dem no fit drill reach centre, how dem take kno wetin dey inside di earth?
Same way Gold, Petroleum, e.t.c are detected, before they start mining them. I guess

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Explorers(m): 10:35pm On Sep 11, 2016
mcyemite:
Master explorers,please sir am just wondering..how was all these facts derived,since it all seems like an impossible feat..?

Since man can't go to the center of Earth, they have to rely on indirect observations of the materials of the interior. These observations mostly come from seismic waves. When an earthquake occurs, energy is radiated from the location of the earthquake in waves that travel through the Earth and arrive at seismometers at some distance from the source. The speed of these waves through the Earth is controlled by the properties of the material that the waves pass through.

By measuring the time it takes for various waves to get from an earthquake to a given seismometer, scientists can back out what the material properties must have been like along the path taken by the wave.

They've drilled over 3km in South Africa and they believe there's a large deposit down there.

Learnt that scientists/engineers searching for oil dont just drill, they collect samples of a specific location and carry out the test on the surface. If there's oil they will know from the surface and they drill miles down for it.

How about the Arabian gulf? They extract oil about 2miles below the sea bed. How did they know there will be oil 2miles down below the sea floor?

Its all about test.

83 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by jmichlins(m): 10:55pm On Sep 11, 2016
watching one documentary someday about tiatonic plates *not sure of the spelling so pardon me*. One team of scientists went to an area they believed to be the place where the earth cores met and are continually moving, the place is in San Andreas there they dug the longest hole on earth according to them. Thing is the hole is just about 3in maximum so not much to cause trouble. Explorer you will do well do write a thread about earthquakes and tremors

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by delikay4luv: 11:39pm On Sep 11, 2016
Explorers is always cool with facts. Keep exploring like your name
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by redcliff: 12:59am On Sep 12, 2016
jmichlins:
watching one documentary someday about tiatonic plates *not sure of the spelling so pardon me*. One team of scientists went to an area they believed to be the place where the earth cores met and are continually moving, the place is in San Andreas there they dug the longest hole on earth according to them. Thing is the hole is just about 3in maximum so not much to cause trouble. Explorer you will do well do write a thread about earthquakes and tremors

that california is very volatile. there are plates from the bottom of the earth that overlap there.

1 Like

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by ben1daEbiri(m): 6:40am On Sep 12, 2016
Explorers:

No idea bro, maybe the scientists in the house can help us.
I don't believe you of all people can't explain that,an anverage chemistry/geography student should be able to explain that without difficulties.All (or most) precious stones/germs ONLY form on high temperature and pressure environments were carbon thrives,the same reason also explain why they contain carbon either in minute or large quantities be it pure or in an impure state;so because of their formation processes,they can't help but be hard,strong and high melting points.ANYTHING formed in such environment will most likely possess the afformentioned characteristics.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by jmichlins(m): 7:05am On Sep 12, 2016
redcliff:

that california is very volatile. there are plates from the bottom of the earth that overlap there.
na so the documentary talk
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Explorers(m): 7:08am On Sep 12, 2016
ben1daEbiri:
I don't believe you of all people can't explain that,an anverage chemistry/geography student should be able to explain that without difficulties.All (or most) precious stones/germs ONLY form on high temperature and pressure environments were carbon thrives,the same reason also explain why they contain carbon either in minute or large quantities be it pure or in an impure state;so because of their formation processes,they can't help but be hard,strong and high melting points.ANYTHING formed in such environment will most likely possess the afformentioned characteristics.

Lol...Didn't even touch anything relating to science in school throughout.
Could have told the guy the presence of the gold is due to the temperature, but that won't bring a better understanding like when a scientist/geologist give a better explanation.

No one knows it all bro.

52 Likes 1 Share

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by ben1daEbiri(m): 7:22am On Sep 12, 2016
Explorers:

Lol...Didn't even touch anything relating to science in school throughout.
Could have told the guy the presence of the gold is due to the temperature, but that won't bring a better understanding like when a scientist/geologist give a better explanation.

No one knows it all bro.
With the type of threads you create and you trying to convince me you're not a science student is just unbelievable,all the same weldone...I love your threads,you're part of the sane 10% on nairaland

46 Likes

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Explorers(m): 10:21am On Sep 12, 2016
herald9:
You mean if we dig through the centre of the earth 6738km X2, that we can actually burst in China? Does it mean the solid part of the earth is 'floating'?

Thats belief, just like drilling from one side of a ball to the other side, you can burst out in Australia or somewhere. Depends on where the drilling started.

Will check for the link and post it.

2 Likes

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by samdelaw(m): 12:41pm On Sep 12, 2016
Explorers:

That's possible, but i believe advanced machineries will handle that. I think the problem is the heat, if not they would have drilled to the core with advanced equipments. By the time they drill for 5 to 10years , they will get to the core.
Explorer can I get to no more about you. Am a superfan
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Electronzeez(m): 8:24pm On Sep 12, 2016
Explorer I want to disagree with your reply to a guy who is of the opinion that if one dig a distance more than the radius of the earth you can come out in another country or continent .

I have always known that digging deep down can only lead you to one place and that is the nucleus of the earth which temperature is almost that of the sun . If you can provide a proof to make me think different of my knowledge about the earth layers , I would appreciate .thanks

6 Likes

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Explorers(m): 9:20pm On Sep 12, 2016
Electronzeez:
Explorer I want to disagree with your reply to a guy who is of the opinion that if one dig a distance more than the radius of the earth you can come out in another country or continent .

I have always known that digging deep down can only lead you to one place and that is the nucleus of the earth which temperature is almost that of the sun . If you can provide a proof to make me think different of my knowledge about the earth layers , I would appreciate .thanks

Actually its impossible to dig to the core because i learnt the deeper you go, the hotter the temperature by 25°C per mile and we're talking about over 6,000km to the inner core.

But its believe that if they dig to the core and continue, will definitely burst out somewhere.

Searching for the source, when i get it i will mention you.

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Police Stops Young Kenyan Inventor From Flying His Home Made Aircraft / Rainstorm Pulls Down A Mast In Ogba, As Thunder Storm Cut Down A Tree In Lagos / Yahya Usman Ahmad Constructs Airplane Model With Local Materials. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.