Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,522 members, 7,819,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? - Science/Technology (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? (29078 Views)

China’s Bus-size Space Station Is About 80 Hours Away From Crashing To Earth / The Mysterious And Unexplored Corners Of The Earth(Photos) / The Earth Is FLAT. Discuss! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Nostradamu(m): 1:27pm On Sep 19, 2016
jmichlins:
watching one documentary someday about tiatonic plates *not sure of the spelling so pardon me*. One team of scientists went to an area they believed to be the place where the earth cores met and are continually moving, the place is in San Andreas there they dug the longest hole on earth according to them. Thing is the hole is just about 3in maximum so not much to cause trouble. Explorer you will do well do write a thread about earthquakes and tremors

Tectonic smiley Nobody knows it all.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by johnydon22(m): 4:33pm On Sep 19, 2016
musicwriter:

Remember, this is an imaginary journey (not a real journey) as the temperature down the earth is too hot and can't allow physically going anything beyond 100 C.

However, to answe your question, yes, if you are able to withstand the high temperatures and keep digging, you'll come out at another country!.

This is because the earth is round like an orange- actually oval like a rugby ball. If you use a stick and pierce down through an orange, the stick would come out at another end. Its as simple as that.

Herald9 this is correct..

1 Like

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by phranq(m): 4:53pm On Sep 19, 2016
tk4rd:
grin grin You will only get a percentage of the whole gains.

only a percentage?? Shea u dey inside dey do dis kin negotiation
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by phranq(m): 4:54pm On Sep 19, 2016
ychris:
by the time molten magma erupts frm the core and hit u big time. u go knw cheesy

lemme keep my shovel cloee
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by phranq(m): 4:56pm On Sep 19, 2016
Princejebs:

Busted....these guy smart die

bros....abeg I no nid ua hlp!!! abeg dis na one man job!!! tnx 4 ua concerns!!!! small time now u go hear..."bros mk I kip u company"
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by phranq(m): 4:57pm On Sep 19, 2016
tsamson:

sharp guy

tnx for hailing me but abeg na only one person fit stay outside. u wan enta inside go touch d gold?? u r free

1 Like

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by M2dX(m): 6:34pm On Sep 19, 2016
pls,is there any air in Mars or in other planets?
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by M2dX(m): 6:42pm On Sep 19, 2016
and I hear about black holes and black matters in space, what are they?
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by QuietHammer(m): 7:03pm On Sep 19, 2016
johnydon22:

Herald9 this is correct..

It's not even compulsory to dig through the earth crust vertically to burst-out to another country, we can as well dig diagonally, avoiding the crust and arrive elsewhere.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by ben1daEbiri(m): 7:23pm On Sep 19, 2016
M2dX:
and I hear about black holes and black matters in space, what are they?
No one has really confirmed weither blackholes,wormholes or whiteholes exist,they're purely hypothetical...see what starwars has caused!
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by ogbenicodes(m): 7:36pm On Sep 19, 2016
phranq:

I will be outside making sure dat u get enough air n water!!! if u nid food just shake d rope....

grin grin by far the funniest comment on Nairaland!
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by ogbenicodes(m): 7:44pm On Sep 19, 2016
FLStudioGuy:
Reminds me of the film "The core". A must watch!

Please where can I find it, searched for it on YouTube, it isnt available again.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by phranq(m): 9:07pm On Sep 19, 2016
ogbenicodes:

grin grin by far the funniest comment on Nairaland!

u also want to lobby to stay outside with me?? Oga...na for inside d gold dey no be outside....sun too much outside.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Nobody: 3:14am On Sep 20, 2016
ogbenicodes:

Please where can I find it, searched for it on YouTube, it isnt available again.
Use showbox or megabox HD for Android
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by tk4rd: 10:52am On Sep 20, 2016
phranq:

only a percentage?? Shea u dey inside dey do dis kin negotiation
You see yourself naa.??
Make I dey inside the hole dey risk, and you dey top dey coordinate.??
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by phranq(m): 5:14pm On Sep 20, 2016
tk4rd:
You see yourself naa.??
Make I dey inside the hole dey risk, and you dey top dey coordinate.??

I cnt rmba saying dat I want d gold!!!! u go do abi u no go do abi mk I cut d rope ni??
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by tk4rd: 6:29pm On Sep 20, 2016
phranq:

I cnt rmba saying dat I want d gold!!!! u go do abi u no go do abi mk I cut d rope ni??
shocked shocked If you no want the gold, den wetin u want naa.?? You dey give me ur food inside the hole just like dat.??
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by bid4rich(m): 6:31pm On Sep 20, 2016
[size=18pt]Does that mean no one can break the record, someone has to do it man. After-all NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. Lets go there!!!

But sincerely speaking, God is awesome. If white men with all their machinery and advanced technology could not dare dig from one point of the earth to another, not even to the center at best, it shows how limited we are in capacity. God is awesome[/size]
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by phranq(m): 10:00pm On Sep 20, 2016
tk4rd:
shocked shocked If you no want the gold, den wetin u want naa.?? You dey give me ur food inside the hole just like dat.??

mk I kip my shovel close sef
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by tk4rd: 10:35pm On Sep 20, 2016
phranq:

mk I kip my shovel close sef
Wetin you wan take the shovel do.?
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by phranq(m): 5:39am On Sep 21, 2016
tk4rd:
Wetin you wan take the shovel do.?

(whistling unknown tune)......picks d shovel
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by sisisioge: 6:26am On Sep 21, 2016
Whew! This thread is giving me palpitations mehn! Whew, my vivid mind thinking one silly person would want to drill to find the promised gold...I hate horror films mehn.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by tk4rd: 10:19am On Sep 21, 2016
phranq:

(whistling unknown tune)......picks d shovel
Hmmmmmm.. *Climbing out already**

1 Like

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by phranq(m): 2:37pm On Sep 21, 2016
tk4rd:
Hmmmmmm.. *Climbing out already**

hahahaha......I don died!!!! u dnt wana hama?? jewman
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by phranq(m): 2:55pm On Sep 21, 2016
bid4rich:
[size=18pt]Does that mean no one can break the record, someone has to do it man. After-all NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE. Lets go there!!!

But sincerely speaking, God is awesome. If white men with all their machinery and advanced technology could not dare dig from one point of the earth to another, not even to the center at best, it shows how limited we are in capacity. God is awesome[/size]

bid4rich....datz a nice moniker! I'm concerned about d "rich" part....u wana get rich? den u hv to get in dwn dia n grab d gold!!!! raw gold!!! owned by nobody!!!
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by tk4rd: 5:27pm On Sep 21, 2016
phranq:

hahahaha......I don died!!!! u dnt wana hama?? jewman
Three Bags Full
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by Explorers(m): 9:37am On Sep 22, 2016
I need to buy shovel&digger. Starting from my backyard.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by promisengr(m): 12:48pm On Nov 04, 2016
ben1daEbiri:
I don't believe you of all people can't explain that,an anverage chemistry/geography student should be able to explain that without difficulties.All (or most) precious stones/germs ONLY form on high temperature and pressure environments were carbon thrives,the same reason also explain why they contain carbon either in minute or large quantities be it pure or in an impure state;so because of their formation processes,they can't help but be hard,strong and high melting points.ANYTHING formed in such environment will most likely possess the afformentioned characteristics.

Your ans above explains the formation of Precious Stones but not for Gold. Gold isn't formed on Earth , rather in SupreNovas, Now as to why they got so deep into the earth, It is because of density. The Gold available on earth is from supernova explosion and deposited on earth when the earth was still molten. So due to its density it sank deep into the earth just like heavy metals such as Nickel.
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by kakarott: 11:13pm On Jul 10, 2018
Explorers:

That's possible, but i believe advanced machineries will handle that. I think the problem is the heat, if not they would have drilled to the core with advanced equipments. By the time they drill for 5 to 10years , they will get to the core.
Are you forget the pressure it will squash the machinery
Re: Journey To The Core: How Far Down Is The Center Of The Earth? by ottidex(m): 1:07am On Jul 13, 2018
Explorers:
Everyone has wanted to dig a hole down to the center of the Earth at some time in their lives.

My friends and I tried to dig down as far as we could go. I never told them my goal, but in my heart, we were going all the way through. In the end we actually got down about 2 meters, but the bottom kept filling in with water. Of course, digging down to the centre of the Earth was always out of reach.

In order to be able to dig down to the center of the Earth, my friends and I would have needed to dig our way through 6,378km of rock, mantle, and iron. Most of this journey would be through temperatures hot enough to melt rock, getting as high as 6,726°C at the center.

So if you dug through the deepest ocean floor you could get about 0.1% of the way to the core.

The first 35 km or so of digging would be through the outer crust of the Earth. Assuming we could actually get through the solid rock, and keep water from filling back into our super deep hole, we might actually be able to make some progress through this.

The deeper you go, the higher the temperature. One of the deepest mines in the world is the TauTona gold mine in South Africa, a mere 3.6 kilometers deep.
Even though this just scratches the surface of the Earth, temperatures at the bottom of TauTona already get as high as 60°C.

Once you break through the crust, you’re into the Earth’s mantle. At this point, you’re looking at about 3,000 km of rock heated to such a high temperature that it’s a liquid.

Volcanoes are points on the Earth when magma from the mantle breaks through to the surface. How we’d dig through that, i have no idea. But let’s say we could. Then we’d break through into the core of Earth.

This region extends for another 3,500 km, and its comprised almost entirely of iron, with a little nickel, and some other trace metals. And it’s even hotter than the mantle above it. This is where temperatures get to over 6,000°C.

Assuming we could bore through the iron, and could withstand the heat, we could get down to the center of the Earth. At this point, we would have traveled 6,378 km to complete our journey. And then another 6,378 km to get through the other side and visit the friends in China.

Source: http://www.universetoday.com/15020/how-far-down-is-the-center-of-the-earth/

Lol Are we falling through Chinese Sky into China

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Police Stops Young Kenyan Inventor From Flying His Home Made Aircraft / Rainstorm Pulls Down A Mast In Ogba, As Thunder Storm Cut Down A Tree In Lagos / The Snake � I Killed In My Compound This Morning

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.