Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,201 members, 7,818,673 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? (8333 Views)

Why Are Wives Looking Older Than Their Husbands? / How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating? / Who Is To Be Blamed, Husband Or Wife? ( Picture) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by klassyguy(m): 1:10pm On Oct 08, 2009
[b]i've read so many tales, witnessed so many cases, where wives are always at the recieving end of insults, curses, and abuses anytime their husbands fail at their endeavours in life. it's so common to hear the husbands' family members turning against these poor women, even when it is glaring that the husbands are at fault, not the wives. why is this so?

I had a friend(may his soul rest in peace) who died earlier this year due to colon cancer. he had a very young wife(23 years) old and they had been married for just over 2 years b4 he died. his family members refused to allow her to attend the funeral, calling her a witch, saying that ever since he met her and married her, his problems had started. and everyone saw how she was running from pillar to post trying to save her hubby. am sure if it were another lady, she would have left him a looong time ago. i read several stories too about wives being tormented by their husbands families. (most recent one in nigerian tribune) the husband lost his job in lagos, relied on the wife for finances, later got a job in abuja, and started an affair with another woman there. when the authentic wife came over unannounced, he got angry and told her to go back to lagos. she was even contemplating on moviung to abuja but she later didn't. along the line the husband was duped of a large sum of money he stole from his company by this woman he was having an affair with, and he was fired. he returned to lagos with his tail between his legs,, and still the wife took him back. later his mum came over and started saying the wife was the cause of his woes, and stupidly he agreed. they took her to a native doctor to swear she wasn't the one, but she just didn't do it. he later left the house, saying he can't live with her anymore.

there are so many tales like this. i keep wondering why such things happen to the wives. atimes it's true, atimes it isnt. but why? my fiancee has been telling me that once we get married, she doesn't want anyone going around telling everyone that ever since she came into the family, i have changed, but i tell her that once that time comes, i'll have to re-prioritize, cos she will then become my number one priority, my wife, my family, and whoever doesn't seem happy about that shld take a hike.

what are u peeps views on this?[/b]
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by posakosa(m): 2:42pm On Oct 08, 2009
Because the Nigerian culture does not value women.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by obyann(f): 4:18pm On Oct 08, 2009
Her love to the man = 95%
The man's love to her = 40% sad sad
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Fhemmmy: 5:06pm On Oct 08, 2009
Nigerian culture will not allow men to listen to the advice of the wife and yet blame the woman for their mistakes and nonsense.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Nobody: 11:25am On Oct 09, 2009
It starts from little things. We train our boys not to take responsibility, the girl is always made over responsible in the house hold. The man grows not to value the female and goes further to blame her for his woes, women in society dont help as they join in blaming women for everything under the sun. A man cheats we find a way to blame his wife, its either she is not giving him sex or she is is scruffy, yet if a woman cheats we crucify her and an never blame the wife, then it graduates, when man makes stupid choices without listening to his wife, we blame her, a man beats his wife we blame her, we say she was nagging, a man steals public funds we balme the wife, it goes on and on
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by obyann(f): 12:49pm On Oct 09, 2009
aisha2:

It starts from little things. We train our boys not to take responsibility, the girl is always made over responsible in the house hold. The man grows not to value the female and goes further to blame her for his woes, women in society dont help as they join in blaming women for everything under the sun. A man cheats we find a way to blame his wife, its either she is not giving him sex or she is is scruffy, yet if a woman cheats we crucify her and an never blame the wife, then it graduates, when man makes stupid choices without listening to his wife, we blame her, a man beats his wife we blame her, we say she was nagging, a man steals public funds we balme the wife, it goes on and on

I concur
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by okeey(m): 1:06pm On Oct 09, 2009
just some family don't like the wife and it depend on the family
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Ben13: 1:12pm On Oct 09, 2009
Why shouldn't?

The wives are also praised when the Man is successful.

"Behind every successful man, there is a woman."
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Vavavoom(m): 1:15pm On Oct 09, 2009
@ poster,

Inlaws and relatives who find it hard to accept the changes that result from their kin getting married are often eager to buck pass responsibility to their son's wife who in the first place they hardly welcome. No be magic, a man who use to give them 30K/month can no longer do so because responsibility don increase for his side. They know it too well but accepting the loss of a once-free revenue naim b the crux of the matter. So u when the man suffers a slight set back the wolves come hunting in pack and u hear, ''after all na since wey im marrying dis im wife naim things change for'the worse''. This is why a woman should understand that in the african nay Nigerian setting a husband's love while ultimate in the business of family making may not be sufficient to keep the 'tigers' away from her back. She must understand these minds, get to know their game and see if it will be worth all the trouble to go with. I should also say that it is hardly the case if the woman was their pick.

So ladies hear! hear!!, ask yourself before going in, what kind of in-laws are his people? If you like the answer u get luv am jeje if not ossiso otherwise na HELL!
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by McDoe(m): 1:19pm On Oct 09, 2009
Because behind every achievement of man, there is a woman; therefore every misfortune that befell a man, there is a woman also.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Shinatu: 1:28pm On Oct 09, 2009
McDoe:

Because behind every achievement of man, there is a woman; therefore every misfortune that befell a man, there is a woman also.

How many families celebrate the wife when the husband is successful in Nigeria? Is that not the time for the husband to run  after all the sophisticated ladies in town with the inlaws telling the wife to relax and take care of her children.
They are quick to remind you how their brother suffered for the money and why he should be left alone to enjoy the fruit of his labour.

Even if you are a major contributor to the man's success, they fail to accept it and start reminding their son that it is God that lifts up a man, trying to play down any role you might have played.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Shinatu: 1:35pm On Oct 09, 2009
aisha2:

What beats me is how hard it is for the man to take responsibility for his actions and not look for someone to blame.
I have counselled men who lost their jobs due to negligence and they never accept they messed up.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by otukpo(f): 1:43pm On Oct 09, 2009
Societal problem. And the men won't even listen to their wives. Very stubborn creatures.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by MUZBO(m): 1:54pm On Oct 09, 2009
Its because its the husbands that do the blaming and except the husbands name is Akon I don't see him blaming himself.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by matrim: 2:09pm On Oct 09, 2009
it's called eve's curse.it was eve's greed and disobedience that caused man's downfall in the garden of eden and so it has always been thereafter.after all it is well known that most crimes committed by men are to satisfy their women. grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Rosabelle(f): 2:24pm On Oct 09, 2009
aisha2:

When a couples children mess up in life, they are "her children", when they are successful they are the man's children.
For me oh, and I know some of you may disagree, it is the womans fault. Because we cry where we should talk and talk when we should be quiet.
The poster spoke of the woman who took her man back after al the nonsence he had done. As a wife, fine there are somethings you do etc. And one of them is being there for your husband etc. But these days, men of today are no longer being raised as men. And again, unfortunately this is womans fault. Boys are raised to believe they are worth more than their sisters and so on.
Women bring up their male children to be useless. Thats the truth.
We need to take care of our corners and do out bits. You who are mothers today, break the trend and make your boy children more responsible, otherwise you are planting the seed in him that'l tomorrow be another womans headache.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by chikito1(f): 2:37pm On Oct 09, 2009
The man only listens to all the rubbish said by his family and allows for his wife to be ridiculed because he is too

ashamed to admit his wrong, shame and failure he managed to bring upon himself and family. I see ego "I am a

man" bullshit talk. However some men can only talk the talk and not walk the walk. Because when push come to

shove they shy away and leave it to their wives to sort out the whole mess.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by sherrylo: 2:49pm On Oct 09, 2009
The culture and tradition. Very bad!
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Nobody: 2:51pm On Oct 09, 2009
Rosabelle:

When a couples children mess up in life, they are "her children", when they are successful they are the man's children.
For me oh, and I know some of you may disagree, it is the womans fault. Because we cry where we should talk and talk when we should be quiet.
The poster spoke of the woman who took her man back after al the nonsence he had done. As a wife, fine there are somethings you do etc. And one of them is being there for your husband etc. But these days, men of today are no longer being raised as men. And again, unfortunately this is womans fault. Boys are raised to believe they are worth more than their sisters and so on.
We need to take care of our corners and do out bits. You who are mothers today, break the trend and make your boy children more responsible, otherwise you are planting the seed in him that'l tomorrow be another womans headache.
Believe me i intend t raise a man, nothing short a responsible man. Its sad what women are made to tolerate. My sistter always tells me that i may never marry because of my standards, she bases her statement on the premises of a guy i refused to marry because he asked me to resign my job and take a post as a primary school teacher and also gave me a condition to get pregnant before the wedding,because he wanted a wman he could control according to him. i sent him parking. Another was almost always taking money from me, he always had something he needed to do and always had business that was not clicking. At both times i had to sit and tell myself the truth that those men would make lousy husbands but my sisters think am being unreasonable, that marriae is compromise, pray what sort of compromise is it for me to condemn myself to eternal unhappiness. Like someone says life is about finding happiness, if being married will not make me happy, why bother. Most women in this situations should say no to any man who tries to balme you for his woes, let him be responsible for his actions, you are not his mother, as a wife or a girlfriend you should be respected and cherished, accept nothing less, when you start managing, it will get worse believe me. I know its hard being alone sometimes but it harder being with someone and being alone at the same time.
Any man that balmes others for his problems is a no- no because he is a boy not a man, only kids run from taking responsibility
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Princek12(m): 2:52pm On Oct 09, 2009
aisha2:

It starts from little things. We train our boys not to take responsibility, the girl is always made over responsible in the house hold. The man grows not to value the female and goes further to blame her for his woes, women in society dont help as they join in blaming women for everything under the sun. A man cheats we find a way to blame his wife, its either she is not giving him sex or she is is scruffy, yet if a woman cheats we crucify her and an never blame the wife, then it graduates, when man makes stupid choices without listening to his wife, we blame her, a man beats his wife we blame her, we say she was nagging, a man  steals public funds we balme the wife, it goes on and on
While you have stretched your analysis to the point of being a mere conjecture, could you please give one example of a wife who was blamed for her husband's looting of public funds. Concededly, men sometimes blame women for their irresponsible behavior, but women on the other hand exhibit the same pattern of blame game. If any spouse cheats, there is to the possibility for which the other spouse would be blamed so blaming the other spouse for one partner's infidelity is not irrational. Also, you are ranting as though women do not pass the blame on the scarcity of good men when, by using wrong judgment and no wisdom, they pick a wrong husband or boyfriend, causing their relationship to result in single parenthood, failed marriages, abusive relationships, among others. I have yet to meet, at least on God's green earth, a woman who has assumed responsibility for making the wrong choice in picking the wrong spouse, even if that woman when faced with plentiful good men, decides to opt for a loser, either because he was married with kids but got a little change or because of some incomprehensible, irrational reason, which many men found amazing. In short, blame game is a two-way streak.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by koolchicco: 2:54pm On Oct 09, 2009
matrim:

it's called eve's curse.it was eve's greed and disobedience that caused man's downfall in the garden of eden and so it has always been thereafter.after all it is well known that most crimes committed by men are to satisfy their women. grin grin grin

Hehehe,Funny Peeps! grin
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by McDoe(m): 2:57pm On Oct 09, 2009
Shinatu:

How many families celebrate the wife when the husband is successful in Nigeria? Is that not the time for the husband to run  after all the sophisticated ladies in town with the inlaws telling the wife to relax and take care of her children.
They are quick to remind you how their brother suffered for the money and why he should be left alone to enjoy the fruit of his labour.

Even if you are a major contributor to the man's success, they fail to accept it and start reminding their son that it is God that lifts up a man, trying to play down any role you might have played.  

It is not in all cases. I have seen families which had recognized the contributions of the wives for the sucesses of such families.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Rosabelle(f): 3:10pm On Oct 09, 2009
aisha2:

a guy i refused to marry because he asked me to resign my job and take a post as a primary school teacher and also gave me a condition to get pregnant before the wedding,because he wanted a wman he could control according to him. i sent him parking. Another was almost always taking money from me, he always had something he needed to do and always had business that was not clicking. At both times i had to sit and tell myself the truth that those men would make lousy husbands.
Like someone says life is about finding happiness, if being married will not make me happy, why bother.
I know its hard being alone sometimes but it harder being with someone and being alone at the same time.
LOL. Youre crackign me up I swear. My dear, I thought I was the only one oh. After this experience which I related to my mum later on (I dindt tell her I was giving him money when we were dating), she yelled at me oh. Telling me that whatever happens, I must never give a man money because initially you feel youre helping your man, but men dont know how to appreciate women who give. You must demand he be a man, otherwise he will use you to wipe the floor. Until today, the monkey never paid me back oh lol. Kai, the thigns we do in the name of love. Chei. LOL

Im happy a few people women are begining to think of this marriage thing like I am. I thank God for the kind of family I have. They are my friends and my father will rather see his daughters with Phd's than useless husbands, because he always said as long as you can feed yourself and you have real friends, life is good and you will be happy. Which is why he sent us to school, so we can eventually feed ourselves and not depend on men to do it.
And at the end of the day, isnt the pursuit of happiness the highest a human being can aim for?
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by nethacker(m): 3:14pm On Oct 09, 2009
sherry lo:

The culture and tradition. Very bad!
Nonsense!!!!! angry

chikito1:

The man only listens to all the rubbish said by his family and allows for his wife to be ridiculed because he is too

ashamed to admit his wrong, shame and failure he managed to bring upon himself and family. I see ego "I am a

man" bullshit talk. However some men can only talk the talk and not walk the walk. Because when push come to

shove they shy away and leave it to their wives to sort out the whole mess.
Not me lailai.My pple dare not tell me rubbish abt my wifey.wetin wan cause am? shocked shocked If they try it,I will walk them out.perhaps cos I am d only one frm my mum to my dad sha.  grin

otukpo:

Societal problem. And the men won't even listen to their wives. Very stubborn creatures.
explains d reason y most of u don't like male child  grin grin

Shinatu:

How many families celebrate the wife when the husband is successful in Nigeria? Is that not the time for the husband to run  after all the sophisticated ladies in town with the inlaws telling the wife to relax and take care of her children.

well my dad's family celebrated my mum(b4 she died). Infact all d unmerited favour i got frm my popsy's families is consequent upon wat my mum had done for them b4,wen and after i was born.

But some families can be so unreasonable in d way they treat women . No I wil nvr allow such that is if she has d character ooooo  grin
My 2 cents
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Princek12(m): 3:19pm On Oct 09, 2009
@Aisha2: I applaud you for making the right decision not to date a loser, especially as in your case where the imprints of a loser were incontestably manifested.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by charles316: 3:27pm On Oct 09, 2009
@poster,is dat ur mum`s belief?
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 09, 2009
Princek12:

While you have stretched your analysis to the point of being a mere conjecture, could you please give one example of a wife who was blamed for her husband's looting of public funds. Concededly, men sometimes blame women for their irresponsible behavior, but women on the other hand exhibit the same pattern of blame game. If any spouse cheats, there is to the possibility for which the other spouse would be blamed so blaming the other spouse for one partner's infidelity is not irrational. Also, you are ranting as though women do not pass the blame on the scarcity of good men when, by using wrong judgment and no wisdom, they pick a wrong husband or boyfriend, causing their relationship to result in single parenthood, failed marriages, abusive relationships, among others. I have yet to meet, at least on God's green earth, a woman who has assumed responsibility for making the wrong choice in picking the wrong spouse, even if that woman in the face of plentiful good men, decides to opt for a loser, either because he was married with kids but got a little change or because of some incomprehensible, irrational reason, which many men found amazing. In short, blame game is a two-way streak.

Haven't you heard continuously how a man changes after putting a ring on your finger? They do heaven and earth while dating, after marriage. . . well. undecided Nigerian women would have to deal with relatives.  I've seen this times without number and I know you're trying to say not all men are like that and I believe that but these things happen daily. I just think Nigerian husbands need to set their foot down while thinking rationally, whoever is in the wrong whether relatives or wife should be put in their place.

For those saying she's praised if the man's successful, are you aware the extended family do come up with tales that the woman has finally turned their brother from the rest of the family if he doesn't give them money or do as they wish him to do. Either way in a Nigerian setting there's a possibility the wife gets blamed whether the husband is successful or not.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Nobody: 3:30pm On Oct 09, 2009
Rosabelle:

I agree. wink
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Princek12(m): 3:36pm On Oct 09, 2009
stillwater:

Haven't you heard continuously how a man changes after putting a ring on your finger? They do heaven and earth while dating, after marriage. . . well. undecided Nigerian women would have to deal with relatives.  I've seen this times without number and I know you're trying to say not all men are like that and I believe that but these things happen daily. I just think Nigerian husbands need to set their foot down while thinking rationally, whoever is in the wrong whether relatives or wife should be put in their place.

For those saying she's praised if the man's successful, are you aware the extended family do come up with tales that the woman has finally turned their brother from the rest of the family if he doesn't give them money or do as they wish him to do. Either way in a Nigerian setting there's a possibility the wife gets blamed whether the husband is successful or not.

You are right that people do change after they get married, which is very unfortunate for the suffering spouse; but there are lots of times when you know that your spouse is a jerk but go ahead and marry him out of desperation. Even in that situation that woman may still blame the man. My whole point is that it happens on both sides and I am not disputing that women in Nigeria are blamed for what is, clearly, a man's problems. Men are also blamed for things that are not their fault.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Nobody: 3:40pm On Oct 09, 2009
Rosabelle:

LOL. Youre crackign me up I swear. My dear, I thought I was the only one oh. After this experience which I related to my mum later on (I dindt tell her I was giving him money when we were dating), she yelled at me oh. Telling me that whatever happens, I must never give a man money because initially you feel youre helping your man, but men dont know how to appreciate women who give. You must demand he be a man, otherwise he will use you to wipe the floor. Until today, the monkey never paid me back oh lol. Kai, the thigns we do in the name of love. Chei. LOL

Im happy a few people women are begining to think of this marriage thing like I am. I thank God for the kind of family I have. They are my friends and my father will rather see his daughters with Phd's than useless husbands, because he always said as long as you can feed yourself and you have real friends, life is good and you will be happy. Which is why he sent us to school, so we can eventually feed ourselves and not depend on men to do it.
And at the end of the day, isnt the pursuit of happiness the highest a human being can aim for?

My sister. I feel you uh. Me self my money is lost. I thought i was duped till i discovered that his ex girlfriends case was worse because it cost her her car. Abeg, let people laugh at me say i never marry, its better than being a balme box for some lazy insecure man. I no fit. Life is too short
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Oct 09, 2009
Princek12:

You are right that people do change after they get married, which is very unfortunate for the suffering spouse; but there are lots of times when you know that your spouse is a jerk but go ahead and marry him out of desperation. Even in that situation that woman may still blame the man. My whole point is that it happens on both sides and I am not disputing that women in Nigeria are blamed for what is, clearly, a man's problems. Men are also blamed for things that are not their fault.
I agree bros but in most cases women get blamed for even being a victim, a woman is raped and we blame her clothes or the way she dreeses.
Re: Why Are Wives Often Blamed For Their Husbands' Failures? by Rosabelle(f): 3:43pm On Oct 09, 2009
stillwater:

Haven't you heard continuously how a man changes after putting a ring on your finger? They do heaven and earth while dating, after marriage. . .
LOL. My mum says a mans respect for you drops 80% after he has seen you naked and 20% after he has married you. So you had better have a reserve to who you are (when he talks, you talk back if you were not doing it before to show him if he has changed, so have you) after marriage, otherwise your man is out the house. lol

Princek12:

You are right that people do change after they get married, which is very unfortunate for the suffering spouse; but there are lots of times when you know that your spouse is a jerk but go ahead and marry him out of desperation.
Men I almost made that mistake oh walahi let me not lie. The guy was a jerk and I knew it, but I thought he just had tryign times and needed me to stand  by him. Chei, I was foolish oh. But thanks to The Lord,I was also praying and my prayer was heard. So life split us

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Have You Ever Seen Grandma Of 35yrs To 40yrs Old? / What Can I Do Or How Can I Please My Brother Wife / Domestic Violence: An Undeserved Experience For Women

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.