Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,603 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:00 AM

River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm (40091 Views)

Snake Wrapped Under A Gas Cylinder, As Man Raises Alarm / River Niger Will Soon Overflow – NEMA Warns Nearby Communities / 6 States At The Risk Of Earthquake – Researchers Raise Alarm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by lalasticlala(m): 5:30pm On Sep 13, 2016

The Federal Government has raised the alarm that the River Niger is drying up.

To save the river from the fate that befell Lake Chad, the Federal Government along with countries bordering the River Niger has approved the environmental audit of the river.

Addressing journalists at the end of the 6th Annual Meeting of African Organization do Supreme Audit Institutions Working Group on Environmental Audit (AFROSAI WGEA) in Abuja on Tuesday on the development, the Acting Auditor of the Federation (AuGF) Mrs Florence Anyanwu confirmed that that River Niger was drying up.

She noted that countries bordering the river have approved the environmental audit of the river and that commencement of the audit of one of the longest rivers in Africa will begin at the end of the meeting in Abuja.

According to Anyanwu, “talks are ongoing on the cooperative environmental audit project on River Niger by Niger Basin Authority consisting of Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, Côte d’ Ivoire, Guinea, Mali, Niger and Nigeria.”

She lamented that the drying up of the River Niger posed social, environmental and economic treat to the communities bordering the river.

When completed, the environmental audit of River Niger will afford the governments the information they need to save the river from further deterioration as well as ensure its continued benefit to bordering communities.

With regards to Lake Chad that has significantly lost a large portion of it body of water, the chair of the AFROSAI WGEA, Mrs Mbah Acha Rose Fomundam said the environmental audit report of the Lake Chad has been sent to the governments of the four countries surrounding the lake to come up with laws to save the river from total evaporation.

Lake Chad is a shallow lake that ordinarily should be fed with constant rain but environmental challenges have seen the lake suffer from sustained drop in the volume of rain fall feeding the lake and a growing population that depends on the lake for water, fishing and agriculture.

Fomundam noted that “despite the signing of multilateral agreements on the environment and established institutions, current scientific studies reveal that many of the planet’s ecosystems have rapidly deteriorated over the last 20 years.”

She added that “citizens have increasingly expected that organizations that hurt the environment be held accountable for their actions, with many citizens feeling that government declarations concerning the environment and sustainable development should be subject to independent audits to assess the extent to which they are implemented.”

In her address the minister of environment Mrs Amina Mohammed said “environmental auditing is an essential component of sustainable environmental management as it provides the mechanism for allowing government to know what has gone wrong over time and highlights the need for urgent policy action.”

She added that “our environment is our sustenance and unless we care for our environment, our lives will be at risk. Unless we have a clear knowledge of what is happening to our environment, we may not be able to make appropriate policies for sustainable environmental management

http://thenationonlineng.net/river-niger-drying-warns-federal-govt/

2 Likes

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by MDsambo: 5:33pm On Sep 13, 2016
Nawa Oh

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by Nobody: 5:36pm On Sep 13, 2016
upon all the problem facing this country the only thing you can think of is the dryness of River Niger.

47 Likes 1 Share

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by Nobody: 5:36pm On Sep 13, 2016
Damn. If this river evaporate... Na Big wahala.
No 1, Bad news for all these Mammy water. Na to relocate be that. & Our coats of arm will change shape.

96 Likes 8 Shares

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by 3coins(m): 5:38pm On Sep 13, 2016
how can that big water dry up?

hmmm buhari?...hope you are not transporting our water to the north angry angry

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by veekid(m): 6:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
Good bad news

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by StephanieLuv(f): 6:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
To save the river from the fate that befell Lake Chad, the Federal Government along with countries bordering the River Niger has approved the environmental audit of the river.

Oh why the audit, i thought it was caused by the previous administration just like the economy.

98 Likes 2 Shares

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by herzern(m): 6:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
cool
Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by fratermathy(m): 6:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
Upon all the rain wey de fall this year.?

This is supernatural shocked

18 Likes

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by lifezone247(m): 6:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
fratermathy:
Upon all the rain wey de fall this year.?
This is supernatural shocked
that's to tell you there is hungry in the land, even the river is felling the economy heat. grin

39 Likes 3 Shares

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by dhamstar(m): 6:03pm On Sep 13, 2016
The gods & Buhari are to be blamed

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by 3DCYCLOPS: 6:04pm On Sep 13, 2016

think we need sherif Rango to come protect our hydration

First there's Earth tremor in Kaduna...and now this

14 Likes

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by steppin: 6:04pm On Sep 13, 2016
E better like that sef! Make we dey use leg dey go flex for Asaba.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by PrinceAbinibi: 6:04pm On Sep 13, 2016
See what Buhari has caused grin

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by 247Dior(m): 6:05pm On Sep 13, 2016
The gods are angry with this dullardic president cool cool

14 Likes

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by mescapee: 6:05pm On Sep 13, 2016
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by NevetsIbot(m): 6:05pm On Sep 13, 2016
Youu see... Buhari! Badluck! they both start from B.

God please, don't let the river Niger dry up. Forgive Buhari

8 Likes

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by georgecso(m): 6:05pm On Sep 13, 2016
[size=14pt]Shoo... Who drank the water? Recession don dey hit our river o. God help us [/size]

8 Likes

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by fixedhollies(m): 6:05pm On Sep 13, 2016
all annoying with buari govt... even river dey vez #God save the Niger

5 Likes

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by divinehand2003(m): 6:05pm On Sep 13, 2016
True talk. The rate at which the river is regressing calls for some immediate action to be taken.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by MACMOUNTAIN(m): 6:06pm On Sep 13, 2016
NIGERIA FIRST SEMESTER EXAMINATION: 2015/2016 ACADEMIC SESSION.

COURSE TITLE: Introduction to APC Government
COURSE CODE: APC 101
TIME ALLOWED: 45 Mins
INSTRUCTION: Attempt All Questions

1. Discuss the probability of APC blaming GEJ for the next 3years for
(i.) Dollar increase.
(ii.)Fuel Price increase
(iii.) Power Failure
(iv.) Unemployment
(v. )Fulani Herdsmen Killings

2. If APC = All Promises Cancelled, where PMB is a constant, discuss the speed at which:
( i.) N5k promise is cancelled
(ii.) Feeding of school pupil is cancelled
(iii.) NYSC allowance is reduced
iv. Fuel pump prices are increased

3. Define the term, ''Budget padding''.

4. Mention 3 types of APC propaganda you know, and how they can be used in 21st century politics.

5. Mention 5 IDP you know that feeds with N14000 everyday.

6. Mention the next 3 countries PMB will travel to and the disgrace he will receive.

7. If PMB is silent when herdsmen kill people and buys jet fighter when Biafra is mentioned, what is the probability that PMB is not a terrorist?

8. Write short notes on these mad phrases;
(i). masquerade dressing,
(ii.) importation of grass
(iii). fantastically corrupt.

9. If x is change and y is lies/ propaganda, solve the equation, 2x + 5y = ?

10. If you used to be corrupt, but now fantastically corrupt, explain the effect of gravitational force on you.

11. with a labeled diagram, describe the famous losses ever witnessed in recent time:
(i)-- loss of budget.
(II)-- loss of WAEC certificate.
(iii)- loss of the moon.
(iv)- ear disorder.

12. If President Buhari @ 73yrs received his 1953 secondary school classmates, with relevant logic, explain how old PMB was when he finished secondary school considering the fact that from 1953-2016 is 63 years.

13. Write a short Essay on why Hajiya Aisha Buhari "visited" USA but did not go to say 'Hi' to Mrs. Mitchell Obama.

Your Time Starts Now!!!
Good day

75 Likes 13 Shares

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by mallprof(m): 6:06pm On Sep 13, 2016
Despite economic hardship facing the people of naija, u guys are complaininng of a river drying up E no even consign me..

1 Like

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by dotuna3(m): 6:06pm On Sep 13, 2016
God help us

1 Like

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by hyuga(m): 6:07pm On Sep 13, 2016
Noticed when i crossed the bridge 3 days ago compared to when last i took the route

1 Like

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by MISSNORA(f): 6:07pm On Sep 13, 2016
Choi nawa o

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by shamecurls(m): 6:07pm On Sep 13, 2016
veekid:
Nothing good has never emanates from this guy man in aso Rock; ah no mention anybody name o before una go begin menstruating on my comment .......

Correct English you no fit type

Pidgin English even difficult for you

How did u get access to the internet?

7 Likes

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by crazygod(m): 6:07pm On Sep 13, 2016
With all the rain wey dey fall?

1 Like

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by legendte(m): 6:07pm On Sep 13, 2016
Climate change?

2 Likes

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by belonare: 6:08pm On Sep 13, 2016
Who dey dry am?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by niggi4life(m): 6:08pm On Sep 13, 2016
Y e no go dry up?

Wen food no dey, d rate at which boys dey take drink water nowadays no get Part 2..

Boys don drink water so tey River Niger sef feel d change grin grin grin

Na so i manage go buy Indomie with 1 Egg today wink, i chop am finish drink 4 sachet water, i don think am say na my last food for today.

I enter road make i go greet Yusufu, na so shit come begin hold me for road, see F up shocked, if i shit now i go begin hungry again cry ,, Brothers and sisters, i hold am till i no even feel am again o undecided

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: River Niger Drying Up - FG Raises Alarm by Lilimax(f): 6:09pm On Sep 13, 2016
Evil change everywhere : embarassed

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

TOI 700 D: Earth-sized Planet Found Relatively Nearby / 100 Tonnes Of Dead Fish Pulled Out Of Europe's Oder River ( Pics, Video) / Video: Ekiti Boy Constructing A Generator And A Pos Machine

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.