Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,666 members, 7,816,729 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:59 PM

4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. (24455 Views)

Everything You Medd To Know About Studying In China. Your Questions Answered. / Interested In Studying In Salzburg University Austria / Deji Akinwande To Receive Presidential Award In The U.S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by fineyemi(m): 6:29am On Sep 14, 2016
1. Learning doesn't stop when you leave the classroom. Courses are among the most important components of college – they're what you're paying for, after all. However, a big part of college life is extracurricular activities. There are so many groups and activities on U.S. college campuses – from sports to political groups to film screenings to plays – that it can be a challenge to fit in everything.

It was around my junior year when I realized that the money students pay for college goes toward these activities – whether you participate or not. I realized I should make the most of my tuition expenses and discovered that these activities are great places to forge friendships and learn something while breaking up the tedium of studying.

2. Office hours can help you beyond your grades.
Doing well in courses is important, and if you're planning to stay in the U.S. after graduation, the connections you make in college can be equally as significant. It's crucial to have good relationships with at least a few of your professors.

Knowing someone who knows someone at the place where you want to work can be very beneficial. This is why it's important to network and make connections with your professors. A lot of internships, jobs and grad schools require academic references.

3. There's a car culture.
One thing you'll probably notice in the U.S. is that public transportation is lacking. The vehicles – whether they're buses, trams or subways – are decent enough. The problem is that the routes typically aren't very extensive and it can take a long time to get from point A to point B. Some cities like New York and Washington, D.C. have excellent public transportation, but that's not the case in other areas.

When finding transportation to run errands or travel to and from airports for breaks, a lot of international students tend to seek help from friends with cars. And now thanks to ridesharing apps like Lyft and Uber, it's become a lot more affordable and accessible to hail a ride to run errands or attend events that are far away from campus even when your friends aren't available to drive you.

The reason for the lackluster public transportation is that cars are a big part of the culture in the U.S. There are a number of schools where more than 90 percent of all students bring their cars with them to campus. As a student, you might not need a car as it's easy to ride with friends and get a bus when needed. If you want some more freedom, then you might want to see how car-friendly your city is and then look into getting an international driving permit.

4. Curious people don't mean harm.
The stereotype of Americans is they know little about geography and other nations. While it may be true compared with how knowledgeable Europeans are about the countries on their continent, it's a bit of an unfair comparison. The continental U.S. – not containing Alaska or Hawaii – is almost the same size as continental Europe. Many Americans don't have as much exposure to other nationalities as someone from a smaller country might.

Depending where you're from, you might get some obvious and seemingly insulting questions about your nationality and background.

I can’t count how many times people have asked me if I was North or South Korean. This question is a cause for some major eye-rolling for most South Koreans since we're well aware that North Koreans typically have zero freedom to travel outside of their country due to the communist dictatorship. It's highly unlikely you would ever meet one outside of North Korea.

When I'd tell people I went to high school in India, I also got a lot of questions about whether I rode to school on an elephant. Another common question I'd get is if Asians knew what rap music was. The questions are endless. In almost all cases, though, the askers mean no harm. They simply don't know and are curious. It's best to be patient and teach them what they want to know. They will appreciate it.

Attending college in the U.S. is a unique experience, but it's not as difficult as it may seem. Just keep your expectations in check. You'll have a great time.

source: http://www.guru9ja.com/2016/09/four4-lessons-about-studying-in-us.html

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by KRILMIJAY(m): 6:38am On Sep 14, 2016
ur own better oooo. Me never cross border to cotonou

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by CzarRex: 6:43am On Sep 14, 2016
"whether I rode to school on an elephant."

this part got me cracked up

true,Americans don't really know much about other countries and nationalities that was how one was asking on instagram where is Lagos? Is Lagos a country?

nice article tho..

11 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by pachukwu16: 6:44am On Sep 14, 2016
Make we dey manage our universities here..
God will see us through.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Christojo: 6:45am On Sep 14, 2016
Uhmm
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Nobody: 6:47am On Sep 14, 2016
What is the essence of spending millions getting educated in the United States of America only to come back to meet your home country in recession. No jobs.
Abegi next news

3 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Chuksemi(m): 6:48am On Sep 14, 2016
Lol. Articles like this make me laugh. Rode to school on an elephant? Really?

4 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by emmanuelbrown26: 6:49am On Sep 14, 2016
God bless america, when america sneezes the world catches cold

15 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Benjom(m): 6:49am On Sep 14, 2016
Good one there
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by rhodiumbrain1(m): 6:51am On Sep 14, 2016
Nice write up,i think say the guy na Nigerian sef

1 Like

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by kaen1317: 6:52am On Sep 14, 2016
Everything is fine in America except the culture that values almost everything that's against the teaching of all holy books. You dare not express anti gay, sex change sentiments in America.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by ademega(m): 6:54am On Sep 14, 2016
How I fit study their self? Even if NA pry school I go start from. Nija tire person

4 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Nobody: 6:54am On Sep 14, 2016
kaen1317:
Everything is fine in America except the culture that values almost everything that's against the teaching of all holy books. You dare not express anti gay, sex change sentiments in America.

How's your Nigeria with Anti Gay and sex change sentiments doing? RUBBISH and people express anti gay sentiments just fine here, don't let the liberal media paint the states like its some kind of gay haven

OP You forgot the crucial part...Too many Hoes...No matter how ugly you are there's a Bitch_ out there waiting for you, the chances of marrying a good one is 1 in 69 unless you are super rich

5 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by pgiddy(m): 6:54am On Sep 14, 2016
I so much agree with your number 4. Lots of Americans are illiterate when it comes to geography. Ask an average American student to name 7 countries in Africa, only a very few will be able to after thinking for several minutes.

Some of them even think that Africa is just one country. And when you tell them that 'hey I am from Nigeria, they say, wow that's good I met someone from Kenya yesterday'. Kenya, Nigeria, wetin join them together.

But one thing I like about the student is that they are always excited to see people from other countries, they want to ask you several 'questions'.
One more thing is that do not always jam talk about issues when discussing with an American student. Be careful when you speak against issues like gay, lesbianism, Religion. Always try to know the person's view before you talk.

You don't know if the person you are talking with is a gay or he smokes and you just open mouth dey talk against guys and smokers.

32 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by rhodiumbrain1(m): 6:55am On Sep 14, 2016
CzarRex:
"whether I rode to school on an elephant."

this part got me cracked up

true,Americans don't really know much about other countries and nationalities that was how one was asking where is Lagos? Is Lagos a country?

nice article tho..
No o Lagos is a continent lol
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Nobody: 6:55am On Sep 14, 2016
Who don cross border here
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by olowo72(m): 6:57am On Sep 14, 2016
Singing... Great great grace.. I see grace, great great grace, all I see is grace!

1 Like

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by hobermener: 6:59am On Sep 14, 2016
T

1 Like

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by danosky91(m): 6:59am On Sep 14, 2016
emmanuelbrown26:
God bless america, when america sneezes the world catches cold
abegi talk another tin jare china ti take over if u dnt knw !!!

4 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Innodon(m): 7:04am On Sep 14, 2016
Nice write up
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 14, 2016
kaen1317:

Black man, have you worshipped your gods this morning?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by mccoy47(m): 7:06am On Sep 14, 2016
Studying in US is Faaaaar better than studying in UK.
UK are just users. The moment you're done you become a persona non grata angry

8 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by GoldenJAT(m): 7:13am On Sep 14, 2016
alot just learned!
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by ayusco85(m): 7:18am On Sep 14, 2016
Somebody shld pls write about studying in Nigeria. Ayam begging u people
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by aninexzy(m): 7:18am On Sep 14, 2016
Studying in d US is nt in my option.
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by supereagle(m): 7:33am On Sep 14, 2016
I want to be there,but...
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by wordproof: 7:38am On Sep 14, 2016
Ok
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by obembet(f): 7:43am On Sep 14, 2016
no place like home.... we are the best

1 Like

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Nobody: 7:44am On Sep 14, 2016
KRILMIJAY:
ur own better oooo. Me never cross border to cotonou

grin I dey tell you!
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by henrydadon(m): 7:55am On Sep 14, 2016
Insightful

But like someone above me said there is no place like home

1 Like

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by DavidEsq(m): 7:55am On Sep 14, 2016
ayusco85:
Somebody shld pls write about studying in Nigeria.
Ayam begging u people
U no fit start am? Abi ur keypad dey pain u for hand ni!

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FUOYE Student Shares Eye Witness Account on Clash, Absolves Erelu Fayemi / See The Situation Of A School Classrooms In Imo State (photos) / Lautech Students Pictured Sleeping On The Streets After Yesterday Protest.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.