Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,739 members, 7,955,819 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 04:07 PM

4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. (24547 Views)

Everything You Medd To Know About Studying In China. Your Questions Answered. / Interested In Studying In Salzburg University Austria / Deji Akinwande To Receive Presidential Award In The U.S (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by SlowlybtSurely: 7:56am On Sep 14, 2016
The one question that scattered my dada was;

"Oh, you are from Africa? How come you speak good English?"

In my mind, I'm like "Yea yea. It's a spiritual sontin". undecided

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by otubujohn(m): 8:01am On Sep 14, 2016
I

1 Like

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by gidjah(m): 8:08am On Sep 14, 2016
Chuksemi:
Lol. Articles like this make me laugh. Rode to school on an elephant? Really?
that's how the average white man is,very curious and wanna know everything. he is so un knowledgeable about others, he only cares about his environment and as much as he is concern, his environment or rather country is just the best for him.he can judge based o. what he sees on the news like cnn BBC and the likes that's why you here them say the whole of Africa is in total poverty........the truth is that it is not? 8:05:10 AM them. Been to. some north African countries recently before the Arab spring,the stereotypes ate the same. you need to see illiterates posing as educated peeps because they are a bit more comfortable than you....but thanks to there ena baling environment. like say if not for that they can truly do better than you....i have been able to make them know (for the few times I have spent with the white man) that if giving the same environment and condition, I will surely do better than. them.....
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Nobody: 8:09am On Sep 14, 2016
fineyemi:
1. Learning doesn't stop when you leave the classroom. Courses are among the most important components of college – they're what you're paying for, after all. However, a big part of college life is extracurricular activities. There are so many groups and activities on U.S. college campuses – from sports to political groups to film screenings to plays – that it can be a challenge to fit in everything.

It was around my junior year when I realized that the money students pay for college goes toward these activities – whether you participate or not. I realized I should make the most of my tuition expenses and discovered that these activities are great places to forge friendships and learn something while breaking up the tedium of studying.

2. Office hours can help you beyond your grades.
Doing well in courses is important, and if you're planning to stay in the U.S. after graduation, the connections you make in college can be equally as significant. It's crucial to have good relationships with at least a few of your professors.

Knowing someone who knows someone at the place where you want to work can be very beneficial. This is why it's important to network and make connections with your professors. A lot of internships, jobs and grad schools require academic references.

3. There's a car culture.
One thing you'll probably notice in the U.S. is that public transportation is lacking. The vehicles – whether they're buses, trams or subways – are decent enough. The problem is that the routes typically aren't very extensive and it can take a long time to get from point A to point B. Some cities like New York and Washington, D.C. have excellent public transportation, but that's not the case in other areas.

When finding transportation to run errands or travel to and from airports for breaks, a lot of international students tend to seek help from friends with cars. And now thanks to ridesharing apps like Lyft and Uber, it's become a lot more affordable and accessible to hail a ride to run errands or attend events that are far away from campus even when your friends aren't available to drive you.

The reason for the lackluster public transportation is that cars are a big part of the culture in the U.S. There are a number of schools where more than 90 percent of all students bring their cars with them to campus. As a student, you might not need a car as it's easy to ride with friends and get a bus when needed. If you want some more freedom, then you might want to see how car-friendly your city is and then look into getting an international driving permit.

4. Curious people don't mean harm.
The stereotype of Americans is they know little about geography and other nations. While it may be true compared with how knowledgeable Europeans are about the countries on their continent, it's a bit of an unfair comparison. The continental U.S. – not containing Alaska or Hawaii – is almost the same size as continental Europe. Many Americans don't have as much exposure to other nationalities as someone from a smaller country might.

Depending where you're from, you might get some obvious and seemingly insulting questions about your nationality and background.

I can’t count how many times people have asked me if I was North or South Korean. This question is a cause for some major eye-rolling for most South Koreans since we're well aware that North Koreans typically have zero freedom to travel outside of their country due to the communist dictatorship. It's highly unlikely you would ever meet one outside of North Korea.

When I'd tell people I went to high school in India, I also got a lot of questions about whether I rode to school on an elephant. Another common question I'd get is if Asians knew what rap music was. The questions are endless. In almost all cases, though, the askers mean no harm. They simply don't know and are curious. It's best to be patient and teach them what they want to know. They will appreciate it.

Attending college in the U.S. is a unique experience, but it's not as difficult as it may seem. Just keep your expectations in check. You'll have a great time.

source: http://www.guru9ja.com/2016/09/four4-lessons-about-studying-in-us.html

thanks for this piece.....pls what is the future like for someone who does not want to come to his home country after studies

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by yuslik(m): 8:13am On Sep 14, 2016
An American asked my friend whether we have air conditioners in Nigeria. The following is what led to the question and his reply to the guy.
So, I'm at a dinner three nights ago at a white professor's. About 25 of us. 20 students and 5 professors. I'm the only black student in the room, and like at every dinner table we are eating, biting, drinking, chatting and laughing. Everybody is busy trying to get off the formal mood we just had earlier this afternoon. I'm black, African, and the youngest folk in the room; so everyone is interested in me.
Fast forward. It's about 8pm. Everyone has a partner, and my partner is a tall white girl who is chatting me about my piece she read in VQR. It isn't long when this guy joins us. He has read the piece too, and liked it. Well not that I care if he didn't. Apparently, the girl I'm standing with is his girl. Both of them are Third Year graduate students. They talk about my accent, ask if I schooled earlier in the US. We are chatting: Chimamanda, Diaz (who will be teaching us in spring), Noam Chomsky, and Achille Mbembe. These and many careless things too.
Now, it seems this white guy is having a particular interest in me. He asks for my phone (iPhone 6 plus) and scans with his eyes, he stares at the room and back to me. There is a problem. But I'm not anxious because he has a smile. He has a bottle of beer in hand, he sips directly. I don't drink alcohol, I'm holding a glass of lemon juice (some funny tasty thing) I sip. We are laughing. We talk more.
Suddenly he looks at me and asks who gave me the iPhone and if I can operate it. It is a blow but I try to make him not see the impact on me. I'm hurt but not showing it. Dude goes ahead to ask if I feel privileged to be in America since I come from Africa. He asks if we have air conditioners back home. I look straight to his eyes to see if he was serious or just being mischievous. He is serious. Man, I'm boiling within.
Before I could say anything, his girl is back. They want to leave. He offers me a ride to my apartment and I shake my head. They leave.
I return to the group in the room, and chat up a prof. An old man. And even though we are chatting about a lot of things, my mind is on the white idiot who just left here.
I leave Jane Alison's flat. I get a ride with Michaela. I'm home and I can't do anything. I'm damn hurt. I opened my computer and go to my email. I got the white guy's email and this is what I said to him.
Hey Phil,
I hate to feel like a representative for anything or people or place but this night you make it so easy with your stupidity and incredible ignorance.
The truth is: I WILL not tell you or any other white fucker if we have air conditioners back home. It's not my job or role. The only thing I would say is this: we in Nigeria and Africa laugh, live, cry, die, invent, destroy, share, learn, grow, dance, sleep, Bleep, create, humanize and will never ask a white man if they have train stations in his country because we are a people truly uncomfortable with being ignorant.
I don't need a reply from you. To hell with you and your air-conditioned ignorance.
Michael
The next morning. Someone knocks at the door. It's 7 am. When I use the door hole to see, it's Phil. I turn back and walk to my computer. I have an 8am Skype appointment, don't have time for any kind of stupid Phil.

11 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by toprealman: 8:17am On Sep 14, 2016
kaen1317:
Everything is fine in America except the culture that values almost everything that's against the teaching of all holy books. You dare not express anti gay, sex change sentiments in America.
With all the things happening globally and the much ghd OP highlighted, so this is all you have to say?

1 Like

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by shapman: 8:21am On Sep 14, 2016
yuslik:
An American asked my friend whether we have air conditioners in Nigeria. The following is what led to the question and his reply to the guy.
So, I'm at a dinner three nights ago at a white professor's. About 25 of us. 20 students and 5 professors. I'm the only black student in the room, and like at every dinner table we are eating, biting, drinking, chatting and laughing. Everybody is busy trying to get off the formal mood we just had earlier this afternoon. I'm black, African, and the youngest folk in the room; so everyone is interested in me.
Fast forward. It's about 8pm. Everyone has a partner, and my partner is a tall white girl who is chatting me about my piece she read in VQR. It isn't long when this guy joins us. He has read the piece too, and liked it. Well not that I care if he didn't. Apparently, the girl I'm standing with is his girl. Both of them are Third Year graduate students. They talk about my accent, ask if I schooled earlier in the US. We are chatting: Chimamanda, Diaz (who will be teaching us in spring), Noam Chomsky, and Achille Mbembe. These and many careless things too.
Now, it seems this white guy is having a particular interest in me. He asks for my phone (iPhone 6 plus) and scans with his eyes, he stares at the room and back to me. There is a problem. But I'm not anxious because he has a smile. He has a bottle of beer in hand, he sips directly. I don't drink alcohol, I'm holding a glass of lemon juice (some funny tasty thing) I sip. We are laughing. We talk more.
Suddenly he looks at me and asks who gave me the iPhone and if I can operate it. It is a blow but I try to make him not see the impact on me. I'm hurt but not showing it. Dude goes ahead to ask if I feel privileged to be in America since I come from Africa. He asks if we have air conditioners back home. I look straight to his eyes to see if he was serious or just being mischievous. He is serious. Man, I'm boiling within.
Before I could say anything, his girl is back. They want to leave. He offers me a ride to my apartment and I shake my head. They leave.
I return to the group in the room, and chat up a prof. An old man. And even though we are chatting about a lot of things, my mind is on the white idiot who just left here.
I leave Jane Alison's flat. I get a ride with Michaela. I'm home and I can't do anything. I'm damn hurt. I opened my computer and go to my email. I got the white guy's email and this is what I said to him.
Hey Phil,
I hate to feel like a representative for anything or people or place but this night you make it so easy with your stupidity and incredible ignorance.
The truth is: I WILL not tell you or any other white fucker if we have air conditioners back home. It's not my job or role. The only thing I would say is this: we in Nigeria and Africa laugh, live, cry, die, invent, destroy, share, learn, grow, dance, sleep, Bleep, create, humanize and will never ask a white man if they have train stations in his country because we are a people truly uncomfortable with being ignorant.
I don't need a reply from you. To hell with you and your air-conditioned ignorance.
Michael
The next morning. Someone knocks at the door. It's 7 am. When I use the door hole to see, it's Phil. I turn back and walk to my computer. I have an 8am Skype appointment, don't have time for any kind of stupid Phil.
Your friend is intelligent.

3 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by yuslik(m): 8:42am On Sep 14, 2016
[quote author=shapman Your friend is intelligent.[ He sure is.
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Nobody: 8:48am On Sep 14, 2016
CzarRex:
"whether I rode to school on an elephant."

this part got me cracked up

true,Americans don't really know much about other countries and nationalities that was how one was asking on instagram where is Lagos? Is Lagos a country?

nice article tho..

yea, but can't they just use Google?

no excuse for ignorance. not race or nationality or geographical location.

2 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Laido: 8:51am On Sep 14, 2016
KRILMIJAY:
ur own better oooo. Me never cross border to cotonou

No worry bro. Me dey Enter cotonou well. U go like follow me go ?
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Laido: 8:54am On Sep 14, 2016
kaen1317:
Everything is fine in America except the culture that values almost everything that's against the teaching of all holy books. You dare not express anti gay, sex change sentiments in America.

They don't see the book as Holy lol
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Nobody: 8:54am On Sep 14, 2016

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by kissoflife: 8:55am On Sep 14, 2016
SlowlybtSurely:
The one question that scattered my dada was;

"Oh, you are from Africa? How come you speak good English?"

In my mind, I'm like "Yea yea. It's a spiritual sometin". undecided

I've been asked this too!
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Laido: 8:56am On Sep 14, 2016
Wingback:

How's your Nigeria with Anti Gay and sex change sentiments doing? RUBBISH and people express anti gay sentiments just fine here, don't let the liberal media paint the states like its some kind of gay haven

OP You forgot the crucial part...Too many Hoes...No matter how ugly you are there's a Bitch_ out there waiting for you, the chances of marrying a good one is 1 in 69 unless you are super rich

Hmm true talk! Being super rich self doesn't guarantee you a good girl, you could only get it all.. The body paparazii
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by KRILMIJAY(m): 9:06am On Sep 14, 2016
Laido:

No worry bro. Me dey Enter cotonou well. U go like follow me go ?

Lolz. no worry na U.S I wan enter so that when I come back, I go open thread on nairaland "10 LESSONS I LEARNT LIVING IN THE U.S" grin
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by sidnen: 9:12am On Sep 14, 2016
kolawaxxy:

Black man, have you worshipped your gods this morning?
No mind am, there are more people fornicating and drawing tattoos on their bodies in America but I guess he missed the part where those things are also considered sin in the bible.
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 14, 2016
alexistaiwo:
What is the essence of spending millions getting educated in the United States of America only to come back to meet your home country in recession. No jobs.
Abegi next news
you do not need to use negativity in masking your inability to move overseas.
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by babyfaceafrica: 9:17am On Sep 14, 2016
shapman:
Your friend is intelligent.
I disagree
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Ugosample(m): 9:26am On Sep 14, 2016
Braden102:
Most Nigerians are also ignorant about their own country and other countries. Most people only care about their country.You think a Swedish or Iranian cares about what part of Africa Nigeria is located? The United states is 11 times larger than Nigeria,and there's little need to travel outside of north america . Most people around the world may know or hear more about the United states because America is the world power. There are more gays and more crime in Nigeria than the US.
how many Nigerians know that New York time is different from Chicago and Los Angeles Time ? How many Nigerians know that it doesn't snow in Florida? How many Nigerians have ever heard about the northern lights or white sand desert? You see,don't think you're that smart .There are some things you might know ,and there are some you might not know . Don't come across as an idiot in the process of trying to be smart . If nigerians are so smart and exposed ,why is Nigeria such a dirty third world shiithole ? Most Nigerians in the south think that everyone in the northern Nigeria are Hausa,while most of the northern Nigerians think everyone in the south are Igbo. remove the log from your own eyes first .

That was cold shocked shocked
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by SIRTee15: 9:49am On Sep 14, 2016
pgiddy:
I so much agree with your number 4. Lots of Americans are illiterate when it comes to geography. Ask an average American student to name 7 countries in Africa, only a very few will be able to after thinking for several minutes.

Some of them even think that Africa is just one country. And when you tell them that 'hey I am from Nigeria, they say, wow that's good I met someone from Kenya yesterday'. Kenya, Nigeria, wetin join them together.

But one thing I like about the student is that they are always excited to see people from other countries, they want to ask you several 'questions'.
One more thing is that do not always jam talk about issues when discussing with an American student. Be careful when you speak against issues like gay, lesbianism, Religion. Always try to know the person's view before you talk.

You don't know if the person you are talking with is a gay or he smokes and you just open mouth dey talk against guys and smokers.

u that is talking.....
can u mention 4 central American countries.......
and while u are still chewing on that, also mention 4 central Asia countries......
now the fact that u don't know it, does that make u ignorant.....
people tend to be more interested in things that directly influence their lives......
when Africa begin to show global impact, Americans will be forced to know about us......

4 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by BadmanGozie: 10:21am On Sep 14, 2016

Knowing someone who knows someone at the place where you want to work can be very beneficial

But some people swear that it's only in Naija that this happens.
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Ugosample(m): 10:24am On Sep 14, 2016
SIRTee15:

u that is talking.....
can u mention 4 central American countries.......
and while u are still chewing on that, also mention 4 central Asia countries......
now the fact that u don't know it, does that make u ignorant.....
people tend to be more interested in things that directly influence their lives......
when Africa begin to show global impact, Americans will be forced to know about us......

You are right.

But those answers are too easy for me though....
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by lighternote: 10:26am On Sep 14, 2016
.. wink
To all of u, try Australia. What a fertile ground of opportunities. Post study work permit guaranteed. PR guaranteed after studying in most cases, if u got well informed.

1 Like

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Nobody: 10:35am On Sep 14, 2016
yemimajid:
you do not need to use negativity in masking your inability to move overseas.
Excuse me I don't know you from Adam. What is your concern with my comment? Abeg Park well.
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by jaybiz007(m): 11:03am On Sep 14, 2016
yuslik:
Hey Phil,
Michael
This cracked me up. That was a sublime reply. You should have added 'rot in hell'.
How's your studies bro?

2 Likes

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by datigbogirl: 11:22am On Sep 14, 2016
Wingback:

How's your Nigeria with Anti Gay and sex change sentiments doing? RUBBISH and people express anti gay sentiments just fine here, don't let the liberal media paint the states like its some kind of gay haven

OP You forgot the crucial part...Too many Hoes...No matter how ugly you are there's a Bitch_ out there waiting for you, the chances of marrying a good one is 1 in 69 unless you are super rich

You mean say chiks plenty ryt?
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Ugosample(m): 11:24am On Sep 14, 2016
lighternote:
To all of u, try Australia. What a fertile ground of opportunities. Post study work permit guaranteed. PR guaranteed after studying in most cases, if u got well informed.

Really?
Wow shocked
Tell us more
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Chinoble(f): 11:32am On Sep 14, 2016
We should blame CNN. These people can never show any good thing about Africa. Most times, I get irritated by the kind of news they give about Africa.
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by Laido: 11:42am On Sep 14, 2016
KRILMIJAY:

Lolz. no worry na U.S I wan enter so that when I come back, I go open thread on nairaland "10 LESSONS I LEARNT LIVING IN THE U.S" grin

Lol. Naso.. Planning US too G! Or u get like 1 or 2 things you know about the process. All they saying here are jst some bleeped up shiii!
Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by abbey621(m): 12:17pm On Sep 14, 2016
yuslik:
Hey Phil,
Michael

I commend your ability to stay cool under such blatant ridicule. Phil knows better, he was just trying to piss you off maybe he was threatened by his girl's apparent interest in you? Anyways, people like that are plenty in the USA. I see them as comic relief especially when they say something demeaning and I respond back in pidgin or Yoruba grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by abbey621(m): 12:36pm On Sep 14, 2016
There are more than 100 lessons that should be learnt about studying or living in the U.S, even though the 4 the OP stated are very crucial, here's my top 5:

1: NEVER COME HERE WITHOUT SUFFICIENT FUNDS: Gone are the days of coming with just 1 semester's tuition and hoping for a scholarship or grant to pay the remaining semesters. Gone are the days of being able to work one or two jobs and still attending full class schedule. Without sufficient funds, not only would your grades suffer but you might be forced to do things you would never do!

2. BE CONSUMER SAVVY: Shop for winter clothes in the summer and summer clothes in the winter. If possible go to thrift stores and buy your clothes at 80% discount. Next, Ramen noodles is your best friend. A whole carton is less than 5 dollars and that should last you a whole month. Finally, get a verified Paypal account, there are online gigs you can do for extra cash such as article writing or helping other students with their homework through sites like www.homeworkmarket.com

3. CUT EVERYONE BACK HOME OFF: Friends, colleagues and even family. Communication should be kept to the bear minimum, you need all the concentration you can muster!

4. STAY IN YOUR LANE: Do not behave like an American, remember you are a visitor and a third class visitor at that in a country where your skin color puts you at a great disadvantage. Never argue with cops, military, security personnel or an angry black man!

5. BE SMART: You are here to study and if love happens to find you or you happen to see a soji kind of girl that can get your papers for you then go for it! Sometimes you can eat your cake and have another cake grin grin

In conclusion, studying in the USA is no walk in the park. You have to be determined and resourceful, know your end game. Are you planning on returning to Nigeria or are you determined to stay in the USA?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 4 Lessons About Studying In The U.S. by kaen1317: 3:36pm On Sep 14, 2016
toprealman:
With all the things happening globally and the much ghd OP highlighted, so this is all you have to say?
are u gay

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

WAEC Releases SSCE 2020 Results / Lautech Students Pictured Sleeping On The Streets After Yesterday Protest. / Tuition Fee Hike: OSPOLY Reveals Next Move As Students Refuse To Pay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.