Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:23 AM

What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? (2026 Views)

Nana Poku 'Heals' Woman With A Kiss In South Africa (Video) / What Are The Significance Of Going To Church Every 31st Of December? / Antichrist Compares Jesus With Pharaoh On Facebook: Users Come For Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:29pm On Sep 14, 2016
What is the significance of Judas betraying Jesus with a kiss? Why did Judas kiss Jesus when he betrayed Him?
Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by talktonase(m): 4:55pm On Sep 14, 2016
It signifies that the christian church will be betrayed and destroyed by the one closest to it...The one closest to it always claims to be a mother church.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:51am On Sep 15, 2016
talktonase:

It signifies that the christian church will be betrayed and destroyed by the one closest to it...The one closest to it always claims to be a mother church.

But the gates of hell cannot prevail against the Christian Church, they can only try. cool
Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by ifenes(m): 9:49am On Sep 15, 2016
The Sun in Scorpio given a kiss of death at the beginning of winter( death of the Sun) was what Jesus and Judas's was about. A story was only created for easy reminder of the Astrological event.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by talktonase(m): 11:59am On Sep 15, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

But the gates of hell cannot prevail against the Christian Church, they can only try. cool
the Christian church will implode due to the betrayal .But there will be a REMNANT church that will survive...
Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Sep 15, 2016
talktonase:

It means that the church will betray christ through greed (They will embrace the world and pretend they are embracing christ while setting aside his doctrines!) and will become tired of his doctrines and not be intune with the spirit. Christ will be betrayed by his very followers!

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:27pm On Sep 15, 2016
ifenes:

The Sun in Scorpio given a kiss of death at the beginning of winter( death of the Sun) was what Jesus and Judas's was about. A story was only created for easy reminder of the Astrological event.

You have just proved to me that atheists are pagan worshippers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by ifenes(m): 3:49pm On Sep 15, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

You have just proved to me that atheists are pagan worshippers.

I told you what Jesus's kiss was all about. I don't worship astrology , but I'm only telling you the bible is hidden astrology.

4 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by HCpaul(m): 6:35pm On Sep 15, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

You righteous fellow are the real church according to matt 16:18

But your God said something in the book of Hosea 4:6

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you [the priestly nation] have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you that you shall be no priest to Me; seeing you have forgotten the law of your God, I will also forget your children.

My question is tha:

- Who are his people?
Ans: The Christians

- Who are the people destroyed?

- Who are the people without knowledge?

That is why I can never be a Christian again.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Sep 15, 2016
I'm going to digress a bit from your question so we can get a glimpse of jesus' death in another light. If we accept everything we have been told to be true for the sake of argument, we have no other option but consider Judas as a hero in some sense. Here is why: Jesus had to die (he just had to) for the salvation of the sinner and in order for that to someone/something had to precipitate as well as take responsibility for his death. If not Judas, you may ask, how else could this be possible. Well there are many ways this could have gone down. Jesus could have attacked and eaten up by a wild beast; perhaps he could have drowned in that river (remember when he walked on water or calmed the sea?). Shit! He could have died in his sleep or have a building collapse on him- there are many more possibilities. But Why Judas? Poor Judas. Why the feck is he painted/portrayed as some sort of villain? Well, we can and may never know. If the story we have heard is to be considered fairly, I am convinced we are safe to say that He (Judas) is, at the very least, a hero in the most popular work of fiction and not a full bad guy.
Ps: Thanks for the post Op, You created the contextual platform for me to drop this. What you see here is a post simply making a case for the unpopular Judas of the Bible.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:16pm On Sep 16, 2016
talktonase:

the Christian church will implode due to the betrayal .But there will be a REMNANT church that will survive...

Can you give us instances of how this has or is about to happen?
Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:18pm On Sep 16, 2016
Notruthatall:

It means that the church will betray christ through greed (They will embrace the world and pretend they are embracing christ while setting aside his doctrines!) and will become tired of his doctrines and not be intune with the spirit. Christ will be betrayed by his very followers!

Would this be part of His church or the whole? Remember that it was not all the disciples that betrayed Christ.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:25pm On Sep 16, 2016
HCpaul:

You righteous fellow are the real church according to matt 16:18

But your God said something in the book of Hosea 4:6

My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge; because you [the priestly nation] have rejected knowledge, I will also reject you that you shall be no priest to Me; seeing you have forgotten the law of your God, I will also forget your children.

My question is tha:

- Who are his people?

- Who are the people destroyed?

- Who are the people without knowledge?

That is why I can never be a Christian again.

The people there simply refers to those who lack knowledge of God's Law and thereby have no knowledge of sin (Romans 7:7) and those who have no knowledge of sin cannot repent, and if they don't repent, the Scripture warns that they will perish (Luke 13:3).
Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:28pm On Sep 16, 2016
Julian08:

I'm going to digress a bit from your question so we can get a glimpse of jesus' death in another light. If we accept everything we have been told to be true for the sake of argument, we have no other option but consider Judas as a hero in some sense. Here is why: Jesus had to die (he just had to) for the salvation of the sinner and in order for that to someone/something had to precipitate as well as take responsibility for his death. If not Judas, you may ask, how else could this be possible. Well there are many ways this could have gone down. Jesus could have attacked and eaten up by a wild beast; perhaps he could have drowned in that river (remember when he walked on water or calmed the sea?). Shit! He could have died in his sleep or have a building collapse on him- there are many more possibilities. But Why Judas? Poor Judas. Why the feck is he painted/portrayed as some sort of villain? Well, we can and may never know. If the story we have heard is to be considered fairly, I am convinced we are safe to say that He (Judas) is, at the very least, a hero in the most popular work of fiction and not a full bad guy.
Ps: Thanks for the post Op, You created the contextual platform for me to drop this. What you see here is a post simply making a case for the unpopular Judas of the Bible.

There is no such thing as fate, read the article below to see that Judas just fell from grace to grass. The ball is in your court. smiley

Daily Manna
Saturday September 3, 2016

Watch Your Decision

TEXT: LUKE 6:12-19

"And Judas the brother of James, and Judas Iscariot, which also was the traitor" (Luke 6:16)

What a way of introducing him, "...which also was the traitor"! Yet, there was no mistake about his choice. He was not chosen to play the traitor's role but he fell into being the traitor! One cannot help but wonder what befell Judas Iscariot who had such a unique privilege to be numbered among the twelve disciples of Jesus Christ.

Jesus did not make a mistake by choosing Judas among the other eleven disciples. He had spent nights and days in prayers and finally arrived at the twelve. By His choice, Judas had equal opportunities and privileges like the other eleven. He was taught and trained by Jesus, specially empowered and commissioned with the others to embark on evangelistic outreaches that yielded testimonies of signs and wonders, even of the devil being subject to them. But he had an unpleasant appendage to his name which led to his unfortunate end.

Judas' case is one example of people who fell from grace to grass. He was not destined by cruel fate to be the traitor. There is no such thing as fate or predestination. Every human is a free moral agent who has the right and freedom to make choices but is answerable for whatever choice he makes. Judas chose to trade his highly coveted privilege as an apostle of Jesus for just thirty pieces of silver, which unfortunately, he never enjoyed.

We should be careful of the choices we make because they are the determinants of our destiny. We should also be conscious that our positions or privileges in life are not permanent. To keep our positions and continue to enjoy our privileges, we must be careful to maintain them by our continual obedience to the Lord and making right choices and decisions

Bible Reading in one Year: PSALM 80 - 84

Higher Everyday for Youths - Link: http://highereveryday.dclmhq.org/

Thought for the day: "A fool tramples upon privileges served to enhance his networth"

See more HERE:

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by adjoviomole(m): 2:14pm On Sep 16, 2016
Their is no significance to it. When judas went to meet the pharises he told them that the person he kisses is the one they should arrest because the roman soldiers don't recognize him.

That was why judas kissed him, to point to them who they should arrest.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:17pm On Sep 16, 2016
adjoviomole:

Their is no significance to it. When judas went to meet the pharises he told them that the person he kisses is the one they should arrest because the roman soldiers don't recognize him.

That was why judas kissed him, to point to them who they should arrest.

Even that should tell us that Jesus did not appear any different from His disciples otherwise the pharisees wouldn't have spotted him out. cool

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by adjoviomole(m): 2:28pm On Sep 16, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Even that should tell us that Jesus did not appear any different from His disciples otherwise the pharisees wouldn't have spotted him out. cool

You know how they dress then. Almost alike, same hair style(long hair) the pharisees know him but the romans don't. The romans don't usually interfere with the jews religion.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:40pm On Sep 16, 2016
adjoviomole:

You know how they dress then. Almost alike, same hair style(long hair) the pharisees know him but the romans don't. The romans don't usually interfere with the jews religion.

Doesn't Jesus' appearance send a message to believers and leaders today?

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by adjoviomole(m): 1:55pm On Sep 17, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Doesn't Jesus' appearance send a message to believers and leaders today?

What message is that if I may ask?
Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:40pm On Oct 13, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

What is the significance of Judas betraying Jesus with a kiss? Why did Judas kiss Jesus when he betrayed Him?

Suggested answers:

https://gotquestions.org/betrayed-with-a-kiss.html

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Judas Betraying Jesus With A Kiss? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:57pm On Nov 02, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answers:

https://gotquestions.org/betrayed-with-a-kiss.html

Question: "What is the significance of Judas betraying Jesus with a kiss?"

Answer: Judas Iscariot was one of the original twelve disciples who followed and were taught by Jesus. Being in Jesus' "inner circle," Judas had a closer relationship to Jesus than most people during His ministry. Judas betrayed the Lord to the Jewish authorities. The pre-arranged signal was that the person Judas kissed was to be arrested and taken away (Mark 14:44). In this way the Son of Man was betrayed with a kiss (Luke 22:48).

In the culture of first-century Israel, a kiss was not always a romantic expression of love; rather, a kiss on the cheek was a common greeting, a sign of deep respect, honour, and brotherly love (see Luke 7:45; Romans 16:16; 1 Corinthians 16:20; 2 Corinthians 13:12; 1 Thessalonians 5:26; 1 Peter 5:14). For a student who had great respect for his teacher, a kiss fell well within the healthy expression of honour.

What really stands out in the mode of Judas's betrayal is that Judas used such an intimate expression of love and respect to betray Jesus. Judas's actions were hypocritical in the extreme—his actions said, "I respect and honour you," at the exact time he was betraying Jesus to be murdered. Judas's actions illustrate Proverbs 27:6, "Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses." Often, foes disguise themselves as friends. Evil often wears a mask to conceal its true purpose.

In Luke 22:3, we see that Satan entered into Judas before Judas went to see the chief priests and set things up to betray Jesus. Satan possessed Judas in hopes of using him to destroy Jesus' ministry and get Him out of the way, and Satan used a kiss—a sign of affection—to unleash a surge of hatred. However, there is nothing the Evil One does that God doesn't know about or have complete control over. God allowed Satan to possess Judas and use him to betray Jesus in such a deceptive and hypocritical way in order to bring about our redemption. The betrayal itself was prophesied hundreds of years before its fulfilment (Psalm 41:9).

When Jesus was betrayed by a kiss, He identified with the troubles of David, who wrote, "If an enemy were insulting me, I could endure it; if a foe were rising against me, I could hide. But it is you, a man like myself, my companion, my close friend, with whom I once enjoyed sweet fellowship at the house of God, as we walked about among the worshippers" (Psalm 55:12–14). Job's emotional pain also foreshadowed Jesus' sorrow: "Those I love have turned against me" (Job 19:19).

Once Judas gave the kiss, the deed was done. Jesus was betrayed into the government's hands to be crucified. Judas was "seized with remorse"(Matthew 27:3) over what he'd done. He gave the money back to the temple authorities and hanged himself out of guilt (verse 5).

(1) (Reply)

A Flying Bird Falls And Turns To Human Being In Portharcourt (pics) / How To Start Up A Church In Nigeria.... A Must Read / What Are Your Spiritual Fears Or Belief , Let's Trash Out The Hoax From Facts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.