Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,785 members, 7,831,538 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:21 PM

Yardua Please Recreate The Fortunes Of The South-south To What It Was In The 50’ - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Yardua Please Recreate The Fortunes Of The South-south To What It Was In The 50’ (608 Views)

Northern Youths Tells Igbos, Yorubas And South South To Leave North / Ojukwu’s Burial: S’east, S’south To Be Closed Down, As Uwazuruike Blasts / Why Is The North Most Developed In Nigeria,south to caughtup in 100 years(pic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Yardua Please Recreate The Fortunes Of The South-south To What It Was In The 50’ by KnowAll(m): 11:50am On Oct 09, 2009
The humiliation Nigerians sojourning in other countries are getting from their host is becoming rather embarrassing for an oil producing Nation like ours. I was excited when Yardua created the ministry of Niger delta some18 odd months ago, my thoughts where right, at last this is the right step in the right direction, A ministry with the sole aim of drawing up a development plan and putting infrastructures in place in the Niger delta will auger well and act as a boost not only for the economies of those States in the South-South but for all Nigeria.

The pain, agony and unhealthy rivalry Nigerian businesses are facing in neighbouring Ghana should not be allowed to continue as this is seen if anything else as failings of our Government in creating, an enviable environment where business will blossom and wealth and jobs created for her citizens. These failings cannot  be underestimated as I once again read the sad demise of a dutiful Police Officer who reported for work at a bank at Ifaki-Ekiti, Ekiti State at one of the older generation banks only to be shot like a dog at his duty post by a band of armed men who in their quest to rob the bank also shot an innocent clergy man. I drool in anguish over the pain and the agony the families of these 2 gentlemen would be going through, men who where simply going about their civil duties as law abiding citizens of our great nation only to be cut down like insurgents this is not only disheartening but evil.

Sapele In the early 50’s use to be a mini-Nigeria, where every tribe were represented in the town’s, social, economic and political activities, Nigerians of every ethnic background plied their various businesses,  the Hausa man sold his suya to the merchants in the town, the Yoruba had a whole street named Yoruba street, the Igbo sold their wares it was a good time in those days. This was a time when their was no oil income, if one where to take the income realise today as against the economic activities that prevailed in the 50’s one will realise that by today’s standard a region like Sapele should be one huge conurbation of cities stretching from Sapele to Port Hacourt a mega city where all Nigerians will be comfortable to live and work without the fear and trepidation of Immigration control.

The big question I often ponder over is what is or was the point of the ministry of the Niger delta, is it just something that will run its course in the media and will eventually fizzle out into oblivion as time passes by or has it any genuine intention. Perhaps I suspect it is one of those meaningless re-branding modules and exercise devise by our honourable or is it dishonourable minister of information to put the government in a good light.

A food for thought for our government and subsequent governments.

We can create our own Ghana in the South-South, we once had our own Ghana their we can re-create it again, resource control is all about investing where the golden egg is laid. It would benefit all Nigerians immensely, this is a region the lingua franca is Pidgin English, a language understood by all Nigerians.

If Only our first Graduate President can behave, plan, and execute like a graduate then I can say for sure that Nigeria would be El-dorado in 20 years time. I still have an iota of confidence on Yardua to turn our fortunes as a nation round, I might however be wrong, we shall wait to see how it all pans out.
Re: Yardua Please Recreate The Fortunes Of The South-south To What It Was In The 50’ by KnowAll(m): 1:02pm On Oct 09, 2009
It does not help when Governors of the South-South such Rotimi Amechi is said to have investment in Ghana worth in excess of $500 million dollars , the same Ghana that is treating our citizens with contempt. They the Governors should lead by example, by singing in unison with the federal authorities for any meaningful development or change to take place in the Niger Delta.

(1) (Reply)

Re: Petition Against District 9's Appalling Caricature Of Nigerians - Take 2 / Sw Incapable Or Producing An Ambassador To The Us? / An Open Letter To President Yar'adua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.