Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,120 members, 7,811,148 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 02:52 AM

Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions (8782 Views)

Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting / Islamic Etiquettes of Seeking Permission To Enter Houses / Argument With Non Believers Of Islam. Halal Or Haram? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Nobody: 6:15am On Sep 16, 2016
Assalamu alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh

Today in sha Allah I will be discussing the issue of interactions with the opposite gender. I chose this topic because it is a topic with strict rulings and it should not be taken lightly. I was also recently reminded of the rulings and thought it would be nice remind everyone else.
In sha Allah, I will try to cover both in person and online interactions (which can be applicable to Nairaland).

Before I dive into the topic, I would like to remind everyone about the qualities of a believer- the descriptions that Allah (subhanahu wa ta’ala) gave to those who truly believe.

In surah al-Ahzaab, Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“It is not for a believer, man or woman, when Allaah and His Messenger have decreed a matter that they should have any option in their decision” [al-Ahzaab 33:36]

And then in Surah al-Noor, Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“The only saying of the faithful believers, when they are called to Allaah (His Words, the Qur’aan) and His Messenger, to judge between them, is that they say: “We hear and we obey.” And such are the successful(who will live forever in Paradise).
And whosoever obeys Allaah and His Messenger, fears Allaah, and keeps his duty (to Him), such are the successful”
[al-Noor 24:51-52]

So what we learn from this is that the faithful believers are those whom when Allah and His messenger (peace and blessing be upon him) have decreed a matter, they accept without hesitation and they obey without questions.

I would like everyone to keep that in mind while reading. I would also like to ask a few questions before I begin.
Is there anyone who has more knowledge of the creation than the creator himself? No.

Is there anyone who knows the best for the creation more than the creator himself? No.

Do we all agree that Islam is a religion that closes door to fitnah? Yes (the answer should be yes).

Now let us get back to the topic.

All the scholars agree that interaction between males and females should only happen for a specific need, rather than for fun and enjoyment. So before initiating a conversation with the opposite gender, it is important to ask ourselves- why am I doing this? What are my intentions? What am I hoping to achieve? Is it really necessary?

After having a legitimate reason to initiate an interaction. How do we go about the interaction in a respectable and appropriate manner?
The answer lies in the content and manner of the interaction. We have verses from the Quran and evidences the Sunnah of the prophet (peace and blessings be upon him) that guide us through how to interact with the opposite gender.
In this write-up I will mention a few guidelines or etiquettes of interaction with the opposite gender.

1. The conversation should be limited to the topic

This is self-explanatory. You want to find out a specific information, do just that. There shouldn’t be unnecessary chit chat or branching off topic.
The Mother of the Believers ‘Aa’ishah (may Allah be pleased with her) narrated the story of the slander that the hypocrites accused her of; in her hadeeth she (may Allah be pleased with her) said:
Safwaan ibn al-Mu‘attal al-Sulami al-Dhakwaani was behind the army and had set out at the end of night. In the morning he reached the place where I was and he saw the shape of a person sleeping. He recognized me when he saw me, as he used to see me before the hijab was enjoined. I woke up when I heard him saying Inna Lillaahi wa inna ilayhi raaji’oon (Verily to Allaah we belong and verily unto Him is our return) when he recognized me, and I covered my face with my jilbab. By Allah, we did not exchange a word and I did not hear any word from him apart from his saying Inna Lillaahi… He made his camel kneel down and put his foot on its foreleg (to keep it steady), then I mounted it, and he set off, leading me on the mount, until we came to the army.

This hadeeth also shows good manners with non-mahram women, especially in the case of being alone with them out of necessity in the wilderness or elsewhere, as Safwaan did when he made his camel kneel without speaking or asking questions. Tarh at-Tathreeb, 8/53

2. There should be no softening of the voice by either party.

Allah, may He be exalted, says, addressing the Mothers of the Believers (interpretation of the meaning): “then be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy, or evil desire for adultery, etc.) should be moved with desire, but speak in an honourable manner” [al-Ahzaab 33:32]. If that is for the mothers of the Believers who are amongst the best women, what about us?

3. Lowering of the gaze

Men have been commanded by Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) to lower their gaze. Allah says in the Qur’an in surah al- Noor,
“Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts). That is purer for them. Verily, Allaah is All‑Aware of what they do. [al-Noor 24:30].
Hence, men should avoid staring and try hard to lower the gaze as much as possible. Quick glances for the purpose of speaking are okay.

4. Avoiding joking and laughing as it is not part of etiquette and dignity.
Laughing and joking also tends to make the conversation flirtatious and unserious.

5. Avoiding the use of any words that may have some suggestive meanings, and so on.
This is self-explanatory. We should be direct and straight forward in our conversations.

6. Not going to extremes in embellishing one’s speech.

Some people use their skills in communication with others by movements of the hand or face or by quoting poetry or proverbs or romantic phrases. This is a means that the Shaytaan uses to open the door to haraam attraction between the sexes, so it should be avoided.

7. There shouldn’t be khulwah

Khalwah refers to when a man and a non-mahram woman are alone where they cannot be seen, or they can converse without being heard even though they can be seen (for example in a car).

The Prophet (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) said: “No man should be alone with a woman unless there is a mahram with them.” Narrated by al-Bukhaari (1862) and Muslim (1341). And he (blessings and peace of Allah be upon him) also said: “No man is alone with a woman but the Shaytaan is the third one present.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi (1171) and classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

Online interactions

With regards to online interaction, similar rulings apply (ie, should happen when necessary etc).
It’s important to note that, it is NOT permissible for men and women to have private chats either via emails or in chatrooms or PMS’. This is because it is a means of leading to fitnah and Islam is a religion that closes all doors that lead to fitnah. A person may think that there is no fitnah, but the Shaytaan will keep trying until he tempts him. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded those who heard of the Dajjaal to keep away from him, and said that a man may approach him as a believer, but the Dajjaal will keep trying until he leads him astray.

Even the use of smileys should be avoided when interacting with the opposite gender even on a public forum. This is because these faces are used to express a woman’s feeling, so it is as if she is smiling, laughing, acting shy and so on, and a woman should not do that with a non-mahram man. Smiley and emoticons also tend to make conversations flirtatious, so it should be avoided.

Side Note: It is not permissible to use some emoticons are or emojis when chatting with anyone. For example, the emoticons representing angels, devils and prayer (with closed hands). These concepts are specific to other religions and using them would be imitating those concepts.

Sources
https://islamqa.info/en/110504
https://islamqa.info/en/113996
https://islamqa.info/en/1497
https://islamqa.info/en/27304
https://islamqa.info/en/146441

Culled from : https://thatislamictalk..qa/2016/09/interactions-with-opposite-gender.html

cc dominique

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 16, 2016
JazakAllaah khaira for the reminder, meanwhile be ready for attacks should this get to frontpage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 16, 2016
lexiconkabir:
JazakAllaah khaira for the reminder, meanwhile be ready for attacks should this get to frontpage.

Wa iyyaka.
I am pretty busy today but I will login to see. Only reasonable mentions will be replied to.

1 Like

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Yustash001(m): 11:48am On Sep 16, 2016
Masha Allah....jazakumulahu khairan@the OP
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by aminu790(m): 11:55am On Sep 16, 2016
May Allah reward you abundantly
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by LdyR46: 11:56am On Sep 16, 2016
JazakumuLahu kairan
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Lailerh(f): 12:07pm On Sep 16, 2016
Thank you so much for this sister. May Allah forgive us all
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by eluquenson(m): 12:07pm On Sep 16, 2016
May Allah reward you @Op
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Muhsinkhan(m): 12:08pm On Sep 16, 2016
ماشاء الله. ورحمت الله عليكم يأيها المسلمين
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by amadykarofi(m): 12:10pm On Sep 16, 2016
Masha Allah as Hausa man says SAKALLAHU KHAIR
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Nobody: 12:14pm On Sep 16, 2016
Muhsinkhan:
Masha Allah
رحمت الله عليكم

Ameen, wa alayk
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by tollywhistle(m): 12:20pm On Sep 16, 2016
jazakumullah khair
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by APCsupporter: 12:28pm On Sep 16, 2016
Hmmmm. still looking for what im not guilty of. I need to reset back to factory settings. May Allah forgive us.

2 Likes

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Nobody: 12:30pm On Sep 16, 2016
APCsupporter:
Hmmmm. still looking for what im not guilty of. I need to reset back to factory settings. May Allah forgive us.

Lol, you can reset it the way we reset Casio calculator grin shift + delete then 3 grin

And purpo just insert a broom stick at the behind of the calculator.

nastagfirullaah

Hadaanallaah..

4 Likes

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Bolade005: 12:37pm On Sep 16, 2016
JazakAllah Khaira.

I need to work on myself and be a better Muslim. May Allah guide me in the right path. Amin.

1 Like

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by APCsupporter: 12:40pm On Sep 16, 2016
lexiconkabir:

Lol, you can reset it the way we reset Casio calculator grin shift + delete then 3 grin

nastagfirullaah

Hadaanallaah..
grin
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Nobody: 12:42pm On Sep 16, 2016
What da hell is this? I'm very sure the Mod that moved this baloney to the front-page is having a good laugh right now grin

"Avoiding joking and laughing as it is not part of etiquette and dignity.
Laughing and joking also tends to make the conversation flirtatious and unserious."

Hehehehehe grin

3 Likes

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by tintingz(m): 1:13pm On Sep 16, 2016
Jazakallah khaira.

But I disagree with some.
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Mubarack44(m): 2:06pm On Sep 16, 2016
Astagfirillah May Almighty Allah forgive us.

Noted
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Mubarack44(m): 2:08pm On Sep 16, 2016
tintingz:
Jazakallah khaira.

But I disagree with some.

Why do you agree with some and disagree with some please explain. Remember as op said Islam closed all doors of fitnah
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by tintingz(m): 2:43pm On Sep 16, 2016
Mubarack44:

Why do you agree with some and disagree with some please explain. Remember as op said Islam closed all doors of fitnah
Yes Islam closed all doors of fitnah but some part of what the OP stated are not even related or an issue to Islam belief. E.g The Emoji/smiley part. undecided

1 Like

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by toheebDOTcom(m): 3:33pm On Sep 16, 2016
May the peace and blessings of God be upon us all.

I will like to air my view on this topic, and, of course, you can correct me if I am wrong but try to understand the angle I am coming from...

My main point of comment will be centered on intention, and logic

I believe one of the greatest tool we have is our sense of reasoning, logic, to understand what has been written.

One thing is certain here, for the fact that both genders are on this planet earth, there will always be an interaction.

We were given the sense of reasoning to differentiate Black from White... That's easy. But the degree of Grey is what we have to be cautious of... Because it is hard to say visually, not only by Color experts nor her teachers.

What are we left to do? Thread carefully!

Contact17:

2. There should be no softening of the voice by either party.

I agree that most times this is done to the opposite sex as a means to flirt around the her.
But not all times!

Psychologically, I guess, we tend to soften our voice when making a request.

Shouldn't this be normal?
A student-lectural conversation will not be same as that of your peers...

Softening of the voice can also be an act of respect, especially from the Yoruba tradition.

3. Lowering of the gaze
“Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts). That is purer for them. Verily, Allaah is All‑Aware of what they do. [al-Noor 24:30].
Hence, men should avoid staring and try hard to lower the gaze as much as possible.

On reading the above I asked myself
Is a girl's face forbidden? My answer is No.

Looking with lustful desires? My answer is morally, it is not right. So yes, IT IS WRONG, so as to help ourselves.

So, I am throwing this question to ourselves, is AVOID the best way to explain this? Lower doesn't mean take away (I'm Not a linguistic but does it?)

These days, the girl's face seems to be the only thing you look at to avoid looking her body exposure especially during conversation.

And again, I ask myself, how do I marry someone of my choice is if I don't get to look at her couple of times? I think I read somewhere that "marrying a beautiful lady is part of choosing a wife religiously". Just quote me wrong only if you know better.

The truth is, as a guy/girl, there's a significant part of consideration,if not the first, on the beauty /handsomeness of a girl/boy when we opt for marriage, This may be overpowered by morals, brilliance of the girl/guy.
Is AVOID not too big of a word to use?

Moreover, I am guy, a bachelor, I do have lustful desires not because of looking at a girl, it also happens when you even decide not to look at her. Acting on them should be the sin here.

it's more like this idiom, "when you fail to learn, you learn to fail". Either way, you are LEARNING.
So not looking at the opposite sex doesn't guarantee you not having lustful desires. Either way you will.
Let's ask ourselves of the truth.

We should only pray and thread carefully to avoid the sins behind it.

4. Avoiding joking and laughing as it is not part of etiquette and dignity.
Laughing and joking also tends to make the conversation flirtatious and unserious.
Not part of etiquette? Dignity?
I will only agree if it's an expensive joke.

A joke can ease sadness. It's normal. Don't tell me you and I doesn't like to smile or laugh. Medically and Religiously, we should smile, be happy. A joke can solve some problems...

My point here, AVOIDING is too big of a word to use here...

6. Not going to extremes in embellishing one’s speech.

Some people use their skills in communication with others by movements of the hand or face or by quoting poetry or proverbs or romantic phrases. This is a means that the Shaytaan uses to open the door to haraam attraction between the sexes, so it should be avoided.

Movements of the hand, face or poetry, proverbs are ways to express your opinions. Quoting a scripture is also a way of expressing the word of God for someone to understand better..

Please, aren't you reasoning with me that we take this too far?

The context of use is what we should preach against!

Online interactions

Even the use of smileys should be avoided when interacting with the opposite gender even on a public forum. This is because these faces are used to express a woman’s feeling, so it is as if she is smiling...

Side Note: It is not permissible to use some emoticons are or emojis when chatting with anyone. For example, the emoticons representing angels, devils and prayer (with closed hands)...

Like I said, Smiley, emoji can be a way of expressing one self. Have I committed a son using this grin or . Ask yourself, what do you think those Smiley were? 'laughing' and 'question'... isn't it? Answer me please because it's confusing me that someone could advocate to avoid it when it's not an actor committing a sin.

Is there something I am not thinking about here? come forth with an open mind, reader.

...These concepts are specific to other religions and using them would be imitating

those concepts
Is that the reason why we shouldn't use them? If that is, I am sorry that it is not a good reason from my perspective and I think someone else's too.

I once argued about having 'Obama style haircut' with a friend from the opposite religion. He was saying it is not morally right to have such cut because it does not portray you as a good 'so so so' religion.

Is that true? Maybe. What about 'gallas hairstyle'? Probably bad from a tradition perspective as well. I won't advocate for that but I won't preach against it because it can be the hairstyle of anybody. good / rugged/bad/evil/i-dont-care people.

What if those set of people start having 'low cut'. Will you say low cut is a bad hairstyle as well? Please answer me!

Because the 'bad' people are doing 'this' doesn't mean 'this' is bad and the good people shouldn't do 'this' anymore.

Let's preach for the correct usage not avoidance. If we keep on avoiding harmless or sinless things because they are used by 'bad' people, am sorry, it will get to a stage that there will be nothing to avoid! nothing to preach against.

It is more like avoiding people of the opposite religion because you think they are people of hellfire. How will you help them if not by getting close to them?

I believe that RELIGION is too big of a concept to express as Black / White, Yes / No, Good / Bad.

God guide us all.

2 Likes

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by topsonjto(m): 3:50pm On Sep 16, 2016
Ma'Sha Allah JazakAllahu khair
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Nobody: 4:25pm On Sep 16, 2016
@ toheebDOTcom

In sha Allah I will give you a response when I am less busy. As for the last point you raised.

The angels, devil and prayer emojis that are mentioned are specific to Christianity and Buddhism. Muslims don't have he same beliefs about angels and devils as the Chirstians. Additionally the form of the angels and devils is not known us (ie, it's knowledge of the unseen). With regards to the prayer (with closed hands), it is specific to both Christanity and Buddhism. When a person use the symbol for prayer it is imitating them, and we aren't allowed to imitate people when it comes to matter of religion.

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Whoever imitates a people is one of them.”

cc: lexiconkabir

Mubarack44 I hope this explains the emoji part.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by verycheese: 6:37pm On Sep 16, 2016
Alhamdulillah. This post is relatable.

2 Likes

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Nobody: 6:54pm On Sep 16, 2016
Salem aleikom,

While we await Contact17 response I will like to comment on some of the issues you raised insha Allâh.

toheebDOTcom:

My main point of comment will be centered on intention, and logic

I believe one of the greatest tool we have is our sense of reasoning, logic, to understand what has been written.

Na'am akhi logic is accepted as far as it doesn't go against the Koran and Sonnah, whatever deduction we get must be in perfect agreement with those two weighty things I mentioned.

One thing is certain here, for the fact that both genders are on this planet earth, there will always be an interaction.

Yes, the OP from my understanding did not forbid that, rather gave us guidelines to follow if we are to interact with opposite sex.

I agree that most times this is done to the opposite sex as a means to flirt around the her.
But not all times!

Softening of the voice can also be an act of respect, especially from the Yoruba tradition.

To me the OP is clear on what is meant, the Koran says;

“O wives of the Prophet! You are not like any other women. If you keep your duty (to Allah), then be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy, or evil desire for adultery) should be moved with desire, but speak in an honourable manner”
<<al-Ahzaab 33:32>>

The Koran addresses the wives of Mohammed sallallâhu aleihe was sallem who are purest amongst women to soften their voices when speaking with non-mahram, then how bout other women? Shouldn't it also be so if they want to be pure?

I tell you, even if your intention wasn't to lust, sheitan will bring thoughts to you, you can't deny this as it happens mostly, so in other to avoid this, just close all doors to fitna, simple.

And as far as I know, lecturer-student relationship is and should always be a business like kind of discussion, or what does being "formal" mean?

Looking with lustful desires? My answer is morally, it is not right. So yes, IT IS WRONG, so as to help ourselves.

So, I am throwing this question to ourselves, is AVOID the best way to explain this? Lower doesn't mean take away (I'm Not a linguistic but does it?)

Akh except you want to deceive yourself, starring at a girl for even 10sec brings thoughts, that's sheitan(la'natullâh aleihe), an enemy of the children of Adam(a.s), he always looks for the slightest opportunity to bring us to sin, so the sharee'ah tries to protect us by asking us to AVOID it TOTALLY.

These days, the girl's face seems to be the only thing you look at to avoid looking her body exposure especially during conversation.

And again, I ask myself, how do I marry someone of my choice is if I don't get to look at her couple of times? I think I read somewhere that "marrying a beautiful lady is part of choosing a wife religiously". Just quote me wrong only if you know better.

The truth is, as a guy/girl, there's a significant part of consideration,if not the first, on the beauty /handsomeness of a girl/boy when we opt for marriage, This may be overpowered by morals, brilliance of the girl/guy.

Moreover, I am guy, a bachelor, I do have lustful desires not because of looking at a girl, it also happens when you even decide not to look at her. Acting on them should be the sin here.

it's more like this idiom, "when you fail to learn, you learn to fail". Either way, you are LEARNING.
So not looking at the opposite sex doesn't guarantee you not having lustful desires. Either way you will.
Let's ask ourselves of the truth.

We should only pray and thread carefully to avoid the sins behind it.

The prophet permitted looking at the person you want to marry if that encourages you to marry, you can look at her face and her arm to check for body fat the same goes for the woman, anything other than that is haraam.

Note that your intention MUST BE MARRIAGE AND NOTHING ELSE, but if you are displeased after looking, then move on and don't tell anyone else.

COURTSHIP IS HARAAM, ALLÂH KNOWS HIS CREATION MORE, AND HE KNOWS WHATS BETTER FOR OUR NAFS(SOUL) BUT SHEITAN IS ALWAYS THERE TO DECEIVE THAT IF YOU DON'T COURT YOU CAN'T KNOW YOUR SPOUSE WELL AND BLA BLA BLA.

that's a big lie as we've seen many couples who did courtship for years, but still divorced after marriage, and we've seen couples who didn't court, yet their love for each other is growing everyday.

A joke can ease sadness. It's normal. Don't tell me you and I doesn't like to smile or laugh. Medically and Religiously, we should smile, be happy. A joke can solve some problems...

You shouldn't be with her in the first place for the sake of Joking! She is non-mahram! If you want to joke, joke with the right person, this is one of the reasons I prefer a sister with niqob, because this defines her that "NO MESSING AROUND" including joking unnecessarily.

We've seen a sahabe who threatened to fight anyone vehemently that mess around (including joking unnecessarily) with his women(wives and children), this news got to the prophet and the prophet said, he is being jealous of his women, still at that I(I.e the prophet) is more jealous than him, what does that tell you?

The prophet and his companion didn't see the issue as a small one, like you are doing.

Movements of the hand, face or poetry, proverbs are ways to express your opinions. Quoting a scripture is also a way of expressing the word of God for someone to understand better..

You'll agree with me that, guys do this to impress the ladies and vice versa, whatever you do, should be what you do on a normal ground with anyone else! If not you fall into the sin of riya and that's shirk asger – small shirk.

Like I said, Smiley, emoji can be a way of expressing one self. Have I committed a son using this grin or . Ask yourself, what do you think those Smiley were? 'laughing' and 'question'... isn't it? Answer me please because it's confusing me that someone could advocate to avoid it when it's not an actor committing a sin.

Is there something I am not thinking about here? come forth with an open mind, reader.

What about the kiss emoji? I believe this is what the OP is driving at, doesn't that cast lust to the mind? The thing is, sheitan looks for the slightest chance in getting at us, so avoid whatever he can exploit.

Is that the reason why we shouldn't use them? If that is, I am sorry that it is not a good reason from my perspective and I think someone else's too.

Imitating the Kuffar makes you one of them, I didn't say this, the prophet did, I think the sister has done justice to this tho.

I once argued about having 'Obama style haircut' with a friend from the opposite religion. He was saying it is not morally right to have such cut because it does not portray you as a good 'so so so' religion.

Is that true? Maybe. What about 'gallas hairstyle'? Probably bad from a tradition perspective as well. I won't advocate for that but I won't preach against it because it can be the hairstyle of anybody. good / rugged/bad/evil/i-dont-care people.

What if those set of people start having 'low cut'. Will you say low cut is a bad hairstyle as well? Please answer me!

Because the 'bad' people are doing 'this' doesn't mean 'this' is bad and the good people shouldn't do 'this' anymore.

Let's preach for the correct usage not avoidance. If we keep on avoiding harmless or sinless things because they are used by 'bad' people, am sorry, it will get to a stage that there will be nothing to avoid! nothing to preach against.

It is more like avoiding people of the opposite religion because you think they are people of hellfire. How will you help them if not by getting close to them?

I believe that RELIGION is too big of a concept to express as Black / White, Yes / No, Good / Bad.

God guide us all.

There are proofs in the sonnah that prohibits all the hairstyles you mentioned above except low cut, so the logic does not apply and you should preach against them.

Allâh knows best.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Nobody: 7:04pm On Sep 16, 2016
toheebDOTcom:
May the peace and blessings of God be upon us all.

But not all times!

The greatest temptation for a man is a woman. We have been commanded by Allah to stay away from things that lead to zina (fornication/adultry). In the verse I posted, we see that Allah commands the wives of the prophet who are from the best women not to soften their voice not to soften their voice so that men would not be moved with desire. We learn from that soft voice is a means of provoking desires/ attraction (in men) as generally men are attracted to women with soft voices.
Additionally if the command was given to the wives of the prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) who were most sincere and faithful, what about regular women?
“then be not soft in speech, lest he in whose heart is a disease (of hypocrisy, or evil desire for adultery, etc.) should be moved with desire, but speak in an honourable manner” [al-Ahzaab 33:32].

I am not sure the point you are trying to make. The verse is very clear. Men have been commanded to lower their gaze. Part of lowering the gaze means refraining looking at people’s ‘awrahs, which includes the beauty of a non-mahram woman.

Looking at the floor and glancing a few times for the purpose of conversation is another option.

I mentioned the general rulings pertaining interactions. A man is permitted to look at a women if he wants to marry her.

Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “I was with the Prophet , and a man came to him and told him that he had married a woman of the Ansaar. The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, ‘Have you looked at her?’ He said, ‘No.’ He said, ‘Go and look at her, for there is something in the eyes of the Ansaar.’” (Reported by Ahmad, 2/286, 299; Muslim, 4/142; al-Nisaa’i, 2/73).

Let's ask ourselves of the truth. We should only pray and thread carefully to avoid the sins behind it.

Men have been created with desires. They have a natural desire for women and are attracted to what they see.
“Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things), and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts). That is purer for them. Verily, Allaah is All‑Aware of what they do.

If you read the verse, protecting the private parts comes right after lowering the gaze.This is because the things we see affect our heart. When a man is tempted by what he sees, he may end up falling into sin. It all goes back to preventing evil. Looking less means less chances of looking at things that provoke desires. Asides that, lowering he gaze is a command from Allah as clearly stated in the verse.

@ Bolded prevention is better that cure. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) commanded those who heard of the Dajjaal to keep away from him, and said that a man may approach him as a believer, but the Dajjaal will keep trying until he leads him astray. Whatever will lead a person to sin should be avoided.

Side note: Fasting is a means of lowering one's desires.

Avoiding is the right word to use. Like I mentioned earlier, interactions should happen for a specific need when necessary. Laughing and joking doesn't fall under that.Neither the prophet (peace and blessing be upon him) nor the sahabas mixed freely with non-mahram women, laughing and joking with them. Rather they did the opposite.
Moreover, jokes aren't the only ways of easing sadness.

Why would a serious conversion initiated for a specific reason involve those? Except if a person is giving directions, I don't know why a man would be twisting his hands or makes faces (ie raising his eyebrows), or quoting poetry or romantic phrases while talking to me.

The answer is in the last portion of my post. I think (and forgive me if I am wrong) that you aren't exactly understanding the post. I also think you don't understand the ruling that come with mixing with women. It is prohibited for both genders to be mixing freely and part of that is having conversations for the fun of it.

I answered this in an earlier post.

I fail to see how refusing to emojis that symbolizes other religion is avoiding them(ie the people).
I will help them by being a true Muslim. Dealing with them in kindness and justice. Getting close to someone does not mean that I imitate them (in their religion) or that I give up my values for theirs.

God guide us all

Islam made things that are prohibited clear and things that are permissible clear. Free mixing with women is among those rulings that are clear.
I honestly wasn't able to understand some of the points you were trying to make because it seemed to me that my post already answered most of the points you raised.

Salam

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Nobody: 7:18pm On Sep 16, 2016
@ abdelkabir

Jazakallahu Khiran

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Nobody: 7:24pm On Sep 16, 2016
AbdelKabir:

JazakAllaah brother, I've really learnt a lot! BTW you are my namesake cheesy
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Nobody: 7:28pm On Sep 16, 2016
lexiconkabir:

JazakAllaah brother, I've really learnt a lot! BTW you are my namesake cheesy

grin nice meeting my namesake smiley

wa ant fa jazaka Allâh kheiran.

2 Likes

Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by generaluthman: 10:04pm On Sep 16, 2016
shukran
Re: Interactions with non-mahram|Etiquettes of online and offline interactions by Feanah(f): 5:34am On Sep 17, 2016
Jazakillahu khairan

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Does Sura 9:123 Says? If You Know Your Quran Well Please Tell Us / Going To Hajj In The Bible(evidence) / Some Common Abnormalities And Innovations In Salah (prayer)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.