Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,562 members, 7,812,820 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 07:56 PM

Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting (6326 Views)

Using Vessels Of Gold And Silver For Eating And Drinking. Halaal Or Harom? / Some Mistakes Made By Those Who Fasts Ramadan And Perform Nightly Prayers 1 / Does Islam Prohibit Smoking Or Selling Drugs? And Drinking Or Selling Alcohol? I (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by Lukgaf(m): 8:19am On May 18, 2018
The prophet (s.a.w.) provided the believers guidance related to eating and drinking in Ramadan and when fasting. Here are some of his sayings and traditions related to these issues.

1. “The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to break his fast with fresh dates before praying; if fresh dates were not available, he would eat (dried) dates; if dried dates were not available, he would have a few sips of water.” [Reported by al-Tirmidhi, 3/79 and others. He said it is a ghareeb hasan hadeeth. Classed as saheeh in al-Irwaa´, no. 922.

2. At the time of breaking the fast, the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) used to say:

ذَهَبَ الظَّمَأُ وَابْتَلَّتِ الْعُرُوقُ، وَثَبَتَ الأَجْرُ إِنْ شَاءَ اللَّهُ

Thahabadh-dhama'u wabtallatil-'urooqu, wa thabatal-'ajru 'inshaa'Allaah.

The thirst is gone, the veins are moistened and the reward is confirmed, if Allah wills.

Reference: Abu Dawud 2/306

Refer to https://www.nairaland.com/4510539/ramadan-18-supplication-when-breaking

3. And the prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said:

“The people will remain in good so long as they hasten to break the fast (at it’s appointed time)” [Agreed upon by al-Bukhaaree and Muslim];

4. Taking suhoor (morning breakfast) is very much recommended by the prophet. The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said:

“Take the sahoor (pre-dawn meal), for indeed in the sahoor there is blessing” [Reported by al-Bukhaari, Fat’h, 4/139.]

“Suhoor is blessed food, and it involves being different from the people of the Book. A good suhoor for the believer is dates.” [Reported by Abu Dawood, no. 2345; Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1/448.]

5. During the fasting season, we should also be wary not to overeat and fill stomachs. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said:

“Man fills no vessel worse than his stomach. It is sufficient for the son of Adam to have a few mouthfuls to give him the strength he needs. If he has to fill his stomach, then let him leave one-third for food, one-third for drink and one-third for air.” (Reported by al-Tirmidhi and Ibn Maajah. Saheeh al-Jaami’, 5674).

6. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said to a man who burped in his presence: “Stop your burping, for the people who eat the most in this life will be the most hungry on the Day of Resurrection.” (Reported by al-Haakim. Saheeh al-Jaami’, 1190).

7. It is also important to perform Niyyah, which is to make intention (in one’s heart). The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said:

“There is no fast for the person who did not intend to fast from the night before.” [Reported by Abu Dawood, no. 2454. A number of the scholars, such as al-Bukhaari, al-Nasaa`i, al-Tirmidhi and others thought it was likely to be mawqoof. See Talkhees al-Habeer, 2/188.]

“The intention may be made at any point during the night, even if it is just a moment before Fajr. Niyyah means the resolution in the heart to do something; speaking it aloud is bid‘ah (a reprehensible innovation), and anyone who knows that tomorrow is one of the days of Ramadan and wants to fast has [due to that knowledge, already] made the intention. [Sheikh Munajjid]

http://www.iqrasense.com/ramadan/etiquettes-of-eating-and-drinking.html?awt_l=BHbhr&awt_m=3i9kZlC1bNZ7ip.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by omololu2020(m): 10:00am On May 18, 2018
Alahu akbar
Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by OhiOfIhima: 10:00am On May 18, 2018
Good to know.... May the Almighty Allah accept our Dua' as an act of Ibadan.. Amin
Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by CashZamani(m): 10:29am On May 18, 2018
Wow. So educating. Thanks brother, may Allah admit us all into His mercy
Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by HazzanTazzan(m): 10:36am On May 18, 2018
If there is intent to fast the next day but woke up late around 6am for sahur, is it permissible to continue the fast even without having sahur?
Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by Nobody: 11:32am On May 18, 2018
HazzanTazzan:
If there is intent to fast the next day but woke up late around 6am for sahur, is it permissible to continue the fast even without having sahur?

Yes. If you break the fast, you have to do 60 + 1 after Ramadan as expiation.
Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by Lukgaf(m): 11:36am On May 18, 2018
MrHowto:

Yes. If you break the fast, you have to do 60 + 1 after Ramadan as expiation.

Expiation with 60fasts is only applicable for those that have sexual intercourse. So, if one misses fast as a result of negligence, he only committed sin but he will pay back only the missed fast. This is what scholars of knowledge said

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by Nobody: 11:41am On May 18, 2018
Lukgaf:

Expiation with 60fasts is only applicable for those that have sexual intercourse. So, if one misses fast as a result of negligence, he only committed sin but he will pay back only the missed fast. This is what scholars of knowledge said

No. There is no way you can miss the fast as a result of negligence. What type of negligence? Missing sahur is never an excuse not to fast.

The only negligence acceptable is on the first day of Ramadan, u slept without knowing whether the moon has been sighted or not and then only to wake up in the morning and pple are already fasting.

Make no mistake, if you eat food during the day just because you missed sahur then you have brake that fast and 61 awaits u.
Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by brightisodje(m): 12:27pm On May 18, 2018
Brothers and sisters in Islam, with due respect I wish to ask for ur financial assistance to enable me and my family carry out this Ramadan

Nothing is too small Insha Allah

May almighty Allah accept our ibadah this holy month of Ramadan
account number 0250608123 account name bright richard isodje bank name GT BANK..... thanks
Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by GreenNegro(m): 1:12pm On May 18, 2018
MrHowto:

No. There is no way you can miss the fast as a result of negligence. What type of negligence? Missing sahur is never an excuse not to fast.

The only negligence acceptable is on the first day of Ramadan, u slept without knowing whether the moon has been sighted or not and then only to wake up in the morning and pple are already fasting.

Make no mistake, if you eat food during the day just because you missed sahur then you have brake that fast and 61 awaits u.

Dear Bro, that is not the Right answer to the Question, LukGaf has given the right answer. Before i used to believe in the answer you stated, but until recently when i heard the right Injunction from a notable scholar.
Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by Lukgaf(m): 1:16pm On May 18, 2018
MrHowto:

Stop talking ignorantly my dear brother
Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by Nobody: 1:46pm On May 18, 2018
Lukgaf:

Stop talking ignorantly my dear brother

You're the one talking ignorantly not me.

Answer this question so I can clearly see where you guys are heading to.

"I have the intention to fast tomorrow then I over slept without doing sahur, then in the morning I can eat and drink because I failed to do Sahur." Then you guys no nothing about Islam.

GreenNegro:

Dear Bro, that is not the Right answer to the Question, LukGaf has given the right answer. Before i used to believe in the answer you stated, but until recently when i heard the right Injunction from a notable scholar.
Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by bencolevic(m): 3:34pm On May 18, 2018
About the intention, u can make ur intention to fast the whole month on the first day of the fasting.
Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by Lukgaf(m): 3:38pm On May 18, 2018
MrHowto:

You're the one talking ignorantly not me.

Answer this question so I can clearly see where you guys are heading to.

"I have the intention to fast tomorrow then I over slept without doing sahur, then in the morning I can eat and drink because I failed to do Sahur." Then you guys no nothing about Islam.

I am fasting and so will not argue with you sir. But you can ask
Re: Etiquettes Of Eating And Drinking In Ramadan And Fasting by Nobody: 4:01pm On May 18, 2018
bencolevic:
About the intention, u can make ur intention to fast the whole month on the first day of the fasting.

If you miss sahur can you decide not to fast on that day?

(1) (Reply)

Do you have any Question about Islam? / UNESCO Declares Islam As The Most Peaceful Religion Of The World / it's a lie, Mary didn't wear an hijab

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.