Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,422 members, 7,864,856 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 08:14 AM

‘fast Food, Smoking, No Exercise…’ Why Majority Of Nigerians Have Diabetes - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / ‘fast Food, Smoking, No Exercise…’ Why Majority Of Nigerians Have Diabetes (357 Views)

Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study / I Have Diabetes Pls Help / Do You Have Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Fibroid Or Arthrtis? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

‘fast Food, Smoking, No Exercise…’ Why Majority Of Nigerians Have Diabetes by smacx: 3:48pm On Sep 16, 2016
Alcoholic drinks, smoking, consumption of fast food among other activities contribute to the increased rate of type 2 diabetes in the country, says Feyi Adegoke, president of Endocrine and Metabolism Society of Nigeria.

Adegoke was quoted to have said this during the 38th scientific conference and annual general meeting of the society in Calabar, Cross River.

Residents in the urban areas of the country, she said, are at higher risk of diabetes than those in the rural areas.

“The metropolitan cities have the highest rate of diabetes and that is because people are tending more towards Western lifestyle of consuming more alcoholic drinks, smoking, consumption of fast foods and others. These are some of the things that drive the epidemic we are seeing”, said Adegoke.

She noted that no fewer than five million Nigerians are currently suffering from type 2 diabetes.

The doctor said one in every 10 adults in Nigeria has ‘type 2’ diabetes and more people are at the risk of suffering from it in years to come.

“Currently in Nigeria, no fewer than five million people are suffering from diabetes type 2. This number will increase to about 10 million in the next 10 years.”

15 million people, she said, are suffering from diabetes in Africa and the number would spike to 30 million in 2025.

She also advised that diabetes could be prevented through reduction of sugar intakes like canned drinks, putting a stop to tobacco smoking and incorporating healthy meals into their diets.

FULL ARTICLE at https://lifestyle.thecable.ng/fast-food-smoking-no-exercise-majority-nigerians-diabetes/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ‘fast Food, Smoking, No Exercise…’ Why Majority Of Nigerians Have Diabetes by PRISTINEMUSCLES: 6:22pm On Sep 16, 2016
Very informative. And the scary thing about this disease is that one can go on for years without knowing they have such conditions.
Nigerians can be very funny at times. You see them talking about chasing "money" while at the same time neglecting their health.

I remembered one friday as i was doing my roadwalk, i overheard someone say that i have no work i am doing that is why i am doing it. When i turned to see the person, i saw a fat mass of flesh with a drum belly in a suit and tie. I just shook my head.
Re: ‘fast Food, Smoking, No Exercise…’ Why Majority Of Nigerians Have Diabetes by Jacob1234: 4:54pm On Jan 11, 2020
Diabetics should avoid foods with a high glycemic index, as their consumption causes spikes in blood glucose and insulin levels. But it is worth remembering that there is fast food for diabetics, which does not differ from ordinary fast food.

(1) (Reply)

What You Need To Know About Diabetes / Zuckerberg Donates $3bn To Find Cure For ‘all Diseases’ / Cough, Dry Skin, Fatigue… Dangers Of Eating Cold Food

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.