Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,674 members, 7,813,244 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:31 AM

Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study (11828 Views)

20 Million Nigerians Have Kidney Diseases - Nephrologists / Nigerians Have A Special Gene That Makes Them Happy - Researcher Claims / 71% Nigerians Have No Malaria Parasite Antigen,wasting Money On Drugs– New Study (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Nobody: 12:24am On May 13, 2017
Folashade Adebayo

Over four million Nigerians are living with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, a chronic condition that affects metabolism of glucose in the body, a study has said.

[/b]The study, led by researchers at the Covenant University, Ota, noted that 4.7 million Nigerians between the ages of 20-79 years were living with the condition. The study was published by the British Medical Journal.[b]

According to the lead researcher, Dr. Davies Adeloye, more Nigerians will be affected by the condition unless stakeholders put in place effective public health response and strategies for higher public awareness. He also advocated for lifestyle changes which include healthy diets and physical activity.

The study noted that 40 per cent of people with type 2 diabetes were undiagnosed, and that deaths occurred for one-in- five diabetes patients admitted to hospital, with complications from the disease. These complications can affect the heart, kidney, brain, eyes, blood vessels and nerves.

[/b]“Over the last 30 years, type 2 diabetes has increased by 440 per cent to 4.7 million cases – or 5.7 per cent of all Nigerians. This rate is up to three times higher than the neighbouring countries of Cote d’Ivoire (2.3 per cent), Ghana (1.9 per cent), and Senegal (1.8 per cent).[b]

“The last nationwide survey of non-communicable diseases in Nigeria was conducted in 1997. Most findings reported on type 2 diabetes mellitus in Nigeria since then have been based on modelled estimates from neighbouring countries with relatively more detailed data on the disease. We have therefore systematically synthesised the best evidence on type 2 diabetes mellitus across all geo-political zones in Nigeria to guide relevant evidence-based public health and policy response in the health sector.”

http://punchng.com/four-million-nigerians-have-type-2-diabetes-study/

1 Like

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by TheVictorious(m): 7:16am On May 13, 2017
Four million. Men that is too much. Our health habit is very bad, coupled with the standard of living that make people rely heavily on starcy foods in this part of the world. You must have come accross those folks who are fast to say that they don't take sugar, but when you check, they eat pounded yam in the morning, fufu in the afternoon and rice in the night. Who is fooling who

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by rectitude(m): 7:49am On May 13, 2017
Most of the food consumed in this part of the world is carbohydrate, what do you expect.
It's surprising to know that smaller African countries take more balanced diet than Nigeria, even countries as small as cameroun.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by opeolu202: 7:50am On May 13, 2017
Very very bad. Stakeholders should really do something..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by GeneralOjukwu: 7:50am On May 13, 2017
Any girl who dates me might have diabetes...

Because I am too sweet wink

[img]http:///media/12-24-2016/E1c7QP.gif[/img]

On a serious note...

Not enough insulin being produced is Type 1 DM. Type 2 involves resistance by the body cells to insulin produced.
thanks - from emperormossad.

Sugar doesn't exactly "cause" diabetes. It is the failure of the pancreas to produce INSULIN to break down sugars ingested.

Of course, too much sugar consumption means more insulin to break it down. So it would likely aggravate it if the pancreas is dysfunctional in the first place.

So better safe than sorry, reduce sugar consumption especially the refined variety, reduce intake of foods chuck full of preservatives.

Research has linked these to a wide variety of ailments e.g. diabetes, obesity, stroke, heart failure & cancers.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by frisky2good(m): 7:50am On May 13, 2017
4 million out of 160 million is a very small percentage of out population.

3 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by momodub: 7:50am On May 13, 2017
Too much
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by SweetJoystick(m): 7:51am On May 13, 2017
How them take know? angry

5 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Lilaex: 7:51am On May 13, 2017
sad
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by IamNat: 7:51am On May 13, 2017
IT IS WELL
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by enemyofprogress: 7:51am On May 13, 2017
900,000 of them can be found on nairaland grin

3 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by rozayx5(m): 7:51am On May 13, 2017
and we eat rice a lot
and carbohydrate a lot as a country

hmmm

think its time one thought about plantain and beans lol

5 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by absoluteSuccess: 7:51am On May 13, 2017
but the disease is curable
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by coolestchris(m): 7:51am On May 13, 2017
my Dad is a diabetic but he has been managing it for over15 years, I don't really know what causes diabetes, only an illiterate will say suger causes diabetes

I believe that diabetes is caused by junk food

watch out for my new song titled "cucumber"

6 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Damidave1124(m): 7:52am On May 13, 2017
Have mercy Lord. Consumption of carbohydrate is too much here in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Nobody: 7:53am On May 13, 2017
TheVictorious:
Four million. Men that is too much. Our health habit is very bad, coupled with the standard of living that make people rely heavily on starcy foods in this part of the world. You must have come accross those folks who are fast to say that they don't take sugar, but when you check, they eat pounded yam in the morning, fufu in the afternoon and rice in the night. Who is fooling who

TheVictorious do you know who the researcher is? Because i don't know him.
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by enemyofprogress: 7:54am On May 13, 2017
TheVictorious:
CC: Lalasticlala, Mynd44, Dominique.
do they have it or why did you wrote their names
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by buchilino(m): 7:54am On May 13, 2017
DATS WAT POTATOES CHIPS, SHAWAMA, PIZZA ETC HAS BROUGHT TO NIGERIANS. UNFORTUNATELY MOST NIGERIANS DON'T NO ALL THESE JUNK FOODS R ADDICTIVE.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by MhissBelva(f): 7:55am On May 13, 2017
ohkay
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Philinho(m): 7:56am On May 13, 2017
non of us here shall be part of it in Jesus name.

1 Like

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by nepapole(m): 7:56am On May 13, 2017
GeneralOjukwu:

2 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by ijayebonyi(f): 7:57am On May 13, 2017
GeneralOjukwu:

Lol. This Mr Ibu's mouth, nawaoooo grin

4 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by pweetygiftofGod(f): 7:57am On May 13, 2017
This has claimed several lives, I just lost my dad because of this thing called diabetes, God please let affliction not rise a second time, IJN, amen cry cry

3 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by absoluteSuccess: 7:57am On May 13, 2017
coolestchris:
my Dad is a diabetic but he has been managing it for over15 years, I don't really know what causes diabetes, only an illiterate will say suger causes diabetes

I believe that diabetes is caused by junk food

You just contradict yourself, sugar in the junkfood is the primary culprit.

The common sugar are iften the industrial grade and not food grade, and our people consume it from diverse source.

watch out for my new song titled "cucumber"
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by PepperMouthNg(m): 7:58am On May 13, 2017
Having tried avoiding all sugary stuffs, guess it's high time to start self imposed starvation.... cry undecided cry undecided

2 Likes

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by timilehin007(m): 7:58am On May 13, 2017
Wetin we no go hear

1 Like

Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by kings09(m): 7:58am On May 13, 2017
So?
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by Nobody: 7:58am On May 13, 2017
Lies
Re: Four Million Nigerians Have Type 2 Diabetes — Study by deenee: 8:00am On May 13, 2017
frisky2good:
4 million out of 160 million is a very small percentage of out population.
Yes it's is a small percentage but also recall that diabetes is hereditary so once one person in a lineage who does not live a healthy life gets its is passed on through the lineage.

Truth is we don't have healthy eating habits. All our food recipes are starchy from rice to corn food to semo to yam just name it.

Even the veggies that we suppose to use to supplement we cook the living hell out of them and garnish with all sorts of meats whilst losing the core nutrients in the veggies alone.

I think people should cut down on starchy foods. Fizzy and cola drinks and try to eat more semi processed veggies for a start. The painful part is a lot might not even know that they have it and even when they do we don't have adequate medical facilities to treat them

God bless Nigeria

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Simple Ways To Stay Healthy While You Enjoy The Holidays / Dangers of consuming too much maggi and other bouillon cubes / Amazing! Patients Pay Doctors To Use Surgical Equipment Atigbobi Hospital

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.