Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,615 members, 7,823,676 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 01:10 PM

Why I Think Weed Should Be Legalized In Nigeria - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why I Think Weed Should Be Legalized In Nigeria (761 Views)

New Approach To Cassava Weed Management / Herbicide To Control Weed In Maize Farming. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Think Weed Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by Nobody: 4:15am On Sep 17, 2016
Read more at: http://drkpn.
image credit: wallpapercave.com

Weed is something that has steered quiet a huge controversy all over the world in the past few centuries and this is basically because of the various opinion people have about the plant. In some countries, the use of weed for recreational purpose is allowed, however the possession of weed is illegal in most countries. Nigeria is one of the many countries in the world that have the strictest cannabis law meaning that the mere possession of weed in Nigeria may attract strict punishment.

The law to make the planting, cultivation and importation of Indian hemp an offence known as the Indian hemp Act was signed on the 31st of March 1966. The law provides that any person who knowingly plants or cultivates any plant of the genus cannabis shall be guilty of an offence and liable on conviction to be sentenced either to death or to imprisonment for a term of not less than twenty one years and anyone found guilty of the unlawful importation, exportation, purchase or sale of Indian hemp shall be liable on conviction to be sentenced to imprisonment also for a term of not less than twenty one years. However, anyone who sells or import marijuana for medical reasons is however exempted from this law. Also Indian hemp smokers shall be liable on conviction to imprisonment for a term of not less than four years without the option of fine. If however such person is not more than 17 years of age, he shall in addition to twenty one strokes of the cane, be sentenced to two years in a borstal or such similar institution or to a fine of N200.

The question is, what prompted the Government to sign the Indian hemp act in 1966 and what medical or scientific evidence was provided to show that weed was and is still dangerous?

Sadly I have not come across any evidence for this apart from stories of people running mad and committing rape and robbery. I think that the only reason why it is illegal in this country is as a result of the ignorance and maybe dogma of the people who signed the Indian Hemp Act. So far there have not been provided any scientific evidence to prove that weed is actually dangerous.

From my point of view I think it is absurd and outrageous to have a law sanctioned against the use of any object of natural existence, a plant for that matter. I think if the use of cannabis plant can attract the punishment of death from the same people who claim to protect us then we are no longer free.

It’s surprises me when I see people falsely or maybe ignorantly use the danger of Cannabis as an excuse for its illegality and I can’t help but ask what about Alcohol and Tobacco are they not dangerous? Why hasn’t the Government signed the act against the consumption of alcohol and tobacco since both have been proven to be very deadly?

A research carried out in 2015 last year revealed that cannabis is 114 times less deadly than Alcohol, Alcohol being the deadliest drug followed by heroin, cocaine, and tobacco. Researchers further suggested that law enforcement agencies would be better off trying to keep Alcohol in check rather than hunting down users of marijuana considering the very low risk it poses. There are other researches that have stated the same thing and none of them have proven otherwise. These are just the scientific and medical justifications for the use of cannabis but how about its commercial use. Sadly, many people are not aware of the commercial use of cannabis.

There are over a thousand commercial use of cannabis that many people don’t know. Here is a fun fact, until about a hundred years ago almost all the world’s bibles, maps, clothes and books were made out of cannabis, in fact, much of the world’s population have survived by eating hemp seed.

As I stated earlier there are thousands of products that can be made with or from the cannabis plant, some of which are medicine, fuel, paper, food, rope, maps, clothes, nets, lace, soap, shoes, plastics, explosives, fiberboard, paint, methanol, gasoline, lubricants, animal food, furniture, mats, lotions, ointments and many others. Now imagine what this would do to our economy and yet it is illegal, imagine the billions it could save us and yet it is illegal.

I suggest that the Indian hemp Act of 1966 should be revised or simply abolished as it is in contrast to our God given liberty and freedom of choice. I will also suggest that the Government should be in total control of the cannabis plant so as to prevent any form of abuse of the plant (Note: I do not regard smoking as an abuse of the plant).

Also, if this present administration stays truthful to the people on diversifying the economy I think it should include the use of cannabis as it is capable of producing a vast variety of products which could help save us billions of Naira in production expense.

What is your view on cannabis? Do you think the Government should revise or abolish the Indian hemp act? Engage in this discussion by posting your opinion and feedback in the comment box below, I will be glad to read them all.

Re: Why I Think Weed Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by pimpchi(m): 4:29am On Sep 17, 2016
Following

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Weed Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by toyeoye(m): 5:00am On Sep 17, 2016
na follow follow dy worry our government #LegalizeIt

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Weed Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by petrov10: 6:35am On Sep 17, 2016
op na so

cannabis sativa popularly called weed is a narcotic drug that is capable of bonding with the human mind (addiction).
hence when it's scarce or out of reach the user may experience craving

op have u experienced or seen such an episode before? smiley
you should know that some people die

it can also cause madness to genetically predisposed persons
as it is a precipitating factor to mental illness
i.e people that have madness in their family history should run from weed. because it's a powerful drug that can crack their head open in minutes

now with this knowledge viewers should know the economic hazard of the drug because it has the potential to have adverse side effects in some people just like normal drugs like septrin that can burn and kill some patients after taking them

but

for those that have used it without noticing any side effects n it is 100% safe for you. you can go on smoking the stuff

even me do it once in a while. but I'm not a habitual smoker
I do it when I see my guys do itsmiley

op and other men in the house ya'll should learn to moderate it as you know too much of everything is bad

one love

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Weed Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by gabinogem(m): 6:51am On Sep 17, 2016
That thing dey affect brain cells ooh...Na why some people way get soft brain dey dun mad...government dey fear over population for psychiatric hospital... Unlike alcohol, if u take am too much u go only vomit, then few hours u go dey normal.

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Weed Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:05am On Sep 17, 2016
petrov10:
op na so

cannabis sativa popularly called weed is a narcotic drug that is capable of bonding with the human mind (addiction).
hence when it's scarce or out of reach the user may experience craving

op have u experienced or seen such an episode before? smiley
you should know that some people die

it can also cause madness to genetically predisposed persons
as it is a precipitating factor to mental illness
i.e people that have madness in their family history should run from weed. because it's a powerful drug that can crack their head open in minutes

now with this knowledge viewers should know the economic hazard of the drug because it has the potential to have adverse side effects in some people just like normal drugs like septrin that can burn and kill some patients after taking them

but

for those that have used it without noticing any side effects n it is 100% safe for you. you can go on smoking the stuff

even me do it once in a while. but I'm not a habitual smoker
I do it when I see my guys do itsmiley

op and other men in the house ya'll should learn to moderate it as you know too much of everything is bad

one love

Interesting comment bro but I think comparing cannabis to septrin is a bit extreme, the fact is it has not been proven that cannabis can cause such effect like the kind of effect you mentioned they are two very different things. i prefer to describe weed an herb instead of drug the reason Being that weed is nature while septrin as drug isnt. BTW I dont smoke weed, I prefer to cook it... Also, Alcohol is more dangerous than weed, a recent study shows that Alcohol is the deadliest drug in the world followed by cocaine, heroine and tobacco. try to look it up.
Re: Why I Think Weed Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:11am On Sep 17, 2016
gabinogem:
That thing dey affect brain cells ooh...Na why some people way get soft brain dey dun mad...government dey fear over population for psychiatric hospital... Unlike alcohol, if u take am too much u go only vomit, then few hours u go dey normal.

lol. No.

Cannabis cannot cause permanent brain damage. (or any brain damage for that matter.)

Early studies that made such erroneous claims came from monkeys being gas masked with smoke for several minutes. Which caused brain damage from oxygen deprivation - not the marijuana.

Alcohol is more dangerous than weed, a recent study show that Alcohol is the deadliest drug in the world followed by cocaine, heroine and tobacco. try to look it up bro
Re: Why I Think Weed Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by petrov10: 8:30am On Sep 17, 2016
Uzeinalkali:

Interesting comment bro but I think comparing cannabis to septrin is a bit extreme, the fact is it has not been proven that cannabis can cause such effect like the kind of effect you mentioned they are two very different things. i prefer to describe weed an herb instead of drug the reason Being that weed is nature while septrin as drug isnt. BTW I dont smoke weed, I prefer to cook it... Also, Alcohol is more dangerous than weed, a recent study shows that Alcohol is the deadliest drug in the world followed by cocaine, heroine and tobacco. try to look it up.
all drugs have side effects. depending on, sex, age, quantity taken, time, etc

cannabis can cause serious side effects to some consumers
I have had the opportunity to work in a federal neuro-psychiatry hospital before.

iv seen people come in with funny behaviour they get treated and in a few days they re ok. provided they don't smoke weed again because they react to it. but some get hooked already to the herb before they re brought in. verry little can be done for them because after treatment they start taking the drugs again. just a matter of time before they bring them back before you know it they become mad.

habituation
the main problem with the herb

1 Like

Re: Why I Think Weed Should Be Legalized In Nigeria by Funjosh(m): 10:31am On Sep 19, 2016
The way guys smoke the thing for here doesn't look attractive tongue

(1) (Reply)

Firewood For Sale / Agritech Initiative / 2 Tonnes Of Soya Seeds Needed Urgently

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.