Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,159 members, 7,818,522 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:54 PM

Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession (2109 Views)

Governor Ajimobi: I Washed Dead Bodies For 8 Years To Survive / FG Hands Over Seized Poisonous Snakes And Frogs To UNIUYO [PHOTOS] / Governor Ortom Denies Importing Snakes, Frogs Into Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by xelly: 9:47am On Sep 17, 2016
some families in Ka­duna have already been forced to eat leaves so as to survive because the rising cost of food stuff brought about by the current eco­nomic recession, could not allow them have the finan­cial resources to visit the markets.
A youth leader, Malam Hassan Ahmed Rufa’i said that leaves such as “tafasa”, spin­ach, etc, had came to the rescue of these near-starv­ing families, while lizards and cats might become en­dangered specie because some children were already seen hunting them to pro­vide a cheap source of pro­tein for their families.
Lamenting the increas­ing excruciating econom­ic hardship, Rufa’i lashed at top political office holders, as well as the rich and af­fluent people in communi­ties around Kawo, Unguwan Dosa, Hayin Banki and Un­guwan Kanawa, saying they had the capability to assist the poor in their midst but were not living up the mass­es’ expectations.
“Some of them have gone on Hajj for the umpteenth time, while the money they spend making such regular hajj visits could have been used to buy food and feed several mouths. Hajj is in­cumbent upon a Muslim, once in a life time, if the person can afford it,” he em­phasised.
He added that, “rice and maize as well as other sta­ple food items have turned into precious commodities which only the rich and privileged could afford. Many of our people now feed on leaves, some can­not even cook the normal pate, they are seriously feel­ing the pang of an excruciating poverty. We pray the government should come to peoples rescue by estab­lishing free feeding centers.
“The other time, I saw some children chasing a big agama lizard. When I asked them what they were doing, they said they want to kill it because its roasted meat was sweet. They added that even cats are longer spared because it is also a delica­cy,” he said.
The youth leader chal­lenged people in authori­ty to explain how the food items donated to the state by Hajiya Aisha Buhari, were disbursed, alleging that there was little of no adequately publicity, if any, on how the items were dis­tributed.
“People here are suffer­ing; hunger is everywhere. If you go to the Masjid, you see people begging for mon­ey to buy food. Go to the hospitals, you see malnour­ished children everywhere needing medicare and the Doctors will say it’s either malaria or typhoid that is their ailment.
“Government should please come to our aid. It is capable of taking the people out of this predicament,” he insisted.

http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/nigerians-eating-lizards-cats-and-frogs-to-survive-recession/

Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by byna: 9:51am On Sep 17, 2016
Ok na
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by ikbnice(m): 9:52am On Sep 17, 2016
The change is real.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by Nobody: 9:53am On Sep 17, 2016
They voted massively for change.Therefore,they shouldn't be among others who voted against,to complain.They were shouting "sai baba"The baba has come na.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by 007Nasky(m): 9:54am On Sep 17, 2016
it z nt a new tin
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by jmoore(m): 9:55am On Sep 17, 2016
Good source of protein. grin grin
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by BUHARImyDOG: 9:57am On Sep 17, 2016
first of all ..president buhari is a good president a man of integrity,he's incorruptible .

PLEASE I SAID THE ABOVE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF ALCOHOL

The truth is that President Buhari has brought nothing but poverty, incompetence, fascism, ethnic cleansing, recession, abuse of power, persecution, genocide, chaos, destruction, division, fear, death, shame and the gnashing of teeth to Nigeria. He has no way of running the country other than to intimidate the citizens with brute force and threaten the opposition with his numerous security agencies. That is his legacy and it is one of failure, lost opportunitues and shattered dreams. Finally the President would do well to remember that a large number of people that supported him in his quest to become President in last years election were all originally from the PDP.

Oya mod ban again and ban your destiny forever

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by sinkhole: 10:00am On Sep 17, 2016
Nawa o! Yesterday, an old woman boldly walked into our compound and begged for money after narrating a very long story! Can I now say that "all Nigerians have gone cup-in-hand, begging all over" because of the recession?
Times are hard in Nigeria but I dont think we are being given the correct picture of things!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by Stingman: 10:05am On Sep 17, 2016
xelly:

some families in Ka­duna have already been forced to eat leaves so as to survive because the rising cost of food stuff brought about by the current eco­nomic recession, could not allow them have the finan­cial resources to visit the markets.
A youth leader, Malam Hassan Ahmed Rufa’i said that leaves such as “tafasa”, spin­ach, etc, had came to the rescue of these near-starv­ing families, while lizards and cats might become en­dangered specie because some children were already seen hunting them to pro­vide a cheap source of pro­tein for their families.
Lamenting the increas­ing excruciating econom­ic hardship, Rufa’i lashed at top political office holders, as well as the rich and af­fluent people in communi­ties around Kawo, Unguwan Dosa, Hayin Banki and Un­guwan Kanawa, saying they had the capability to assist the poor in their midst but were not living up the mass­es’ expectations.
“Some of them have gone on Hajj for the umpteenth time, while the money they spend making such regular hajj visits could have been used to buy food and feed several mouths. Hajj is in­cumbent upon a Muslim, once in a life time, if the person can afford it,” he em­phasised.
He added that, “rice and maize as well as other sta­ple food items have turned into precious commodities which only the rich and privileged could afford. Many of our people now feed on leaves, some can­not even cook the normal pate, they are seriously feel­ing the pang of an excruciating poverty. We pray the government should come to peoples rescue by estab­lishing free feeding centers.
“The other time, I saw some children chasing a big agama lizard. When I asked them what they were doing, they said they want to kill it because its roasted meat was sweet. They added that even cats are longer spared because it is also a delica­cy,” he said.
The youth leader chal­lenged people in authori­ty to explain how the food items donated to the state by Hajiya Aisha Buhari, were disbursed, alleging that there was little of no adequately publicity, if any, on how the items were dis­tributed.
“People here are suffer­ing; hunger is everywhere. If you go to the Masjid, you see people begging for mon­ey to buy food. Go to the hospitals, you see malnour­ished children everywhere needing medicare and the Doctors will say it’s either malaria or typhoid that is their ailment.
“Government should please come to our aid. It is capable of taking the people out of this predicament,” he insisted.

http://www.thebreakingtimes.com/nigerians-eating-lizards-cats-and-frogs-to-survive-recession/

This has never happened in the history of Nigeria, except during the civil war. But I am not alone on this, even Ogbeni of Osun agrees. See>>>

"Nigeria's current economic situation worse than that of Biafra civil war ..."Rauf Aregbesola
Dailypost 18 Jul 2016.

When people were advised to use their votes very well, their emotions shielded their reasoning...Agree GEJ might not be the best...but Buhari is simply worse.

1. He took six months to put square pegs in round holes as ministers and aides.

2. His utterances about 97% and 5% alienated many people

3. His body language and words about Niger Delta militancy including Tompolo, caused more harm.

4. His parochial sectional appointments.

5. The lack of any formidable economic team...

6. His militarization of the regions and polity, gives a bad taste.

7. Currently nothing is working except his war on corruption...which even many people see as one sided.

ETC
ETC.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by Stingman: 10:07am On Sep 17, 2016
007Nasky:
it z nt a new tin

So you and you family..your children, your wife and parents, have been eating lizards, frogs and cats two years ago? Good to know its not a new thing...but it is new to majority of people....

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by Sealeddeal(m): 10:30am On Sep 17, 2016
I thought they said that North feeds Nigeria. From Borno to Jigawa to Kaduna to Ilorin, millions of northerners are within the precipice of mass starvation. How come the north is hungry when they claimed to be feeding Nigerians?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by Larryfest(m): 10:51am On Sep 17, 2016
Hmm times are hard, situation is critical only God can save us now.
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by ba7man(m): 10:55am On Sep 17, 2016
Meanwhile, some people are cashing out by exporting any Nigerian product they can lay their hands on.

This is a process that will weed out the weak and the wise will prosper and be the foundation of a new Nigeria.

While some are complaining, some are seeing the opportunity and making the most of it.

The oil price crash will force us to finally "THINK" for the first time in decades.

Watch out for my E- commerce site set to take Nigeria by a storm.
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by 007Nasky(m): 10:56am On Sep 17, 2016
Stingman:

So you and you family..your children, your wife and parents, have been eating lizards, frogs and cats two years ago? Good to know its not a new thing...but it is new to majority of people....
I dnt eat it n wil neva mr sting. Mind hw u call on peoples relatives. Anyway I hav heard of people dat do eat all dat
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by RareDiamonds: 10:56am On Sep 17, 2016
Nawa oooo
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by nwasinachi(f): 11:00am On Sep 17, 2016
Northu, nmeh! ntorr! having said that, I want ndigbo to be there for each other in this period of recession. I thk God for what i ve seen so far in the east,loving and sharing food stuffs among each other even in churches,God will bless ndigbo for me. If u come to some part of igbo land, u wont believe there's recession. Everyone is working, Everyone is struggling. Once again, God bless ndigbo.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by oyinkinola: 11:36am On Sep 17, 2016
[s]
xelly:

A youth leader, Malam Hassan Ahmed Rufa’i said that leaves such as “tafasa”, spin­ach, etc, had came to the rescue of these near-starv­ing families, while lizards and cats might become en­dangered specie because some children were already seen hunting them to pro­vide a cheap source of pro­tein for their families.

[/s]
...this is a pure propaganda, selective news you can find on biafran medias! it's all non-sense!
....some families in Ka­duna
....Malam Hassan Ahmed Rufa’i
....“Some of them have gone on Hajj for the umpteenth time,
....Doctors will say it’s either malaria or typhoid that is their ailment.

the phrases here were politically motivated selected, it's target the northerners, try to push them against the government, since their own protest yield no result!
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by HtwoOw: 4:16pm On Sep 17, 2016
We know those who eat lizards even without recession

Igbo propagandists
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by Litmus: 4:30pm On Sep 17, 2016

La Zoo chez Feliz Restaurant is located in Abidjan, on the Ivory Coast of Africa, where cats are roasted outside the restaurant by employees as diners enjoy munching on the assorted bush meat meals, offered on the menu.

In Africa, the term bushmeat refers to wild animal meat which is often also referred to as “traditional diet.” This can sometimes include dog and cat meat, as shown in the photograph.

From the Ivory Coast in the west through Equatorial Guinea to Kenya in the east, demand for bushmeat across the Continent of Africa is massive. Unfortunately the indiscriminate killing of species for bushmeat also includes endangered species being killed.

Poachers use the demand for busmeat as a way to ensure making quick cash. None of the animals are health checked and many of them are carrying serious illnesses which can be transmitted to humans.

When the most recent Ebola Virus hit a number of countries within Africa, the World Health Oranization (WHO) warned local people to avoid eating all bushmeat because primates were believed to be involved the spread of Ebola,

Africa has a massive dog and cat meat trade operating in well over 20+ countries across the Continent of Africa. I will be continuously writing many articles about Africa and it’s animals and look forward to sharing them with you.

Thank you for reading,

Michele Brown
Founder
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by DaniDani(m): 4:38pm On Sep 17, 2016
so dem don de eat grass? okay o, Buhari is leading dem like cows that's why they are now eating grass... omenka abeg quick return from hunting rats and cats to feed your family..
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by gafadove(m): 4:39pm On Sep 17, 2016
Very bad. I undecided
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by Nobody: 5:00pm On Sep 17, 2016
ba7man:
Meanwhile, some people are cashing out by exporting any Nigerian product they can lay their hands on.

This is a process that will weed out the weak and the wise will prosper and be the foundation of a new Nigeria.

While some are complaining, some are seeing the opportunity and making the most of it.

The oil price crash will force us to finally "THINK" for the first time in decades.

Watch out for my E- commerce site set to take Nigeria by a storm.

Oga no dey gbo gbo people..au many you don export..
People dey chop lizard and cat na export you dey talk..food wey never reach nigerians eat..even the rice we the shout say we get..na hot cake for seme border.
Apc eh.. undecided
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by drss2(m): 5:01pm On Sep 17, 2016
grin 50 years from now future generations will start refering to cassandra as ''buari d' terrible''. by 2070, history books will go like dis:
in the year 2016, food shortages was rampant throughout the land. not only was food very expensive, it became a luxury. hunger n stavation pervates d con3 to d point were nigerians resorted to eating rats n cats to survive. dis terrible tin happend during d reign of buari dullard, a civilian dictator who single handed led nigeria into recession back to back. grin
if i were buari i will resign to prevent future generation from calling me terrible. grin
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by oyinkinola: 5:43pm On Sep 17, 2016
drss2:
grin 50 years from now future generations will start refering to cassandra as ''buari d' terrible''. by 2070, history books will go like dis:
in the year 2016, food shortages was rampant throughout the land. not only was food very expensive, it became a luxury. hunger n stavation pervates d con3 to d point were nigerians resorted to eating rats n cats to survive. dis terrible tin happend during d reign of buari dullard, a civilian dictator who single handed led nigeria into recession back to back. grin
if i were buari i will resign to prevent future generation from calling me terrible. grin
...you are terrible, the incoming generation will read your stupid write up, cursed your decay skeleton in the soil for supporting the looters who looted their times before their arrival!
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by Bizibi(m): 5:51pm On Sep 17, 2016
You guys must stand with buhari with your plates......
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by drss2(m): 5:57pm On Sep 17, 2016
oyinkinola:

...you are terrible, the incoming generation will read your stupid write up, cursed your decay skeleton in the soil for supporting the looters who looted their times before their arrival!
ar u hungry direct ur frustrations to buari. grin
Re: Nigerians Eating Lizards, Cats And Frogs To Survive Recession by oyinkinola: 6:01pm On Sep 17, 2016
drss2:
ar u hungry direct ur frustrations to buari. grin
yah, you are right am hungry, if you can send food, but I don't need lizard o!

(1) (Reply)

US Activist Writes Trump, World Leaders, UN Over Ongoing Biafra Suppression (pic / If They Call U Pigs Call Them Vultures / PHOTOS: Meet Beautiful Female Police Officer Taking The Internet By Storm

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.