Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,190 members, 7,815,150 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:16 AM

Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? (6251 Views)

Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? / Symptoms Of Water In A Car's Petrol Tank And Ways To Fix It / See Pictures Of Water Buses That Can Move On Water And Land (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by mayor2013: 8:30am On Sep 18, 2016
byna:

Our roads are bad and even worse during this period. You can hardly drive without seeing a pool of water to pass. That was what I meant by inevitable . Ofcousre you don't expect me to pull over and trek when I've got a ride

Let me digress a bit. I was currently @ the bmw 100th year anniversary. Got there at about 12pm. It rained heavily that day. A die hard fan of bmw and also an automobile engineer which we called to know if he was coming couldn't because of the rain. Guess what? He was asking what the conditions of the road were down to VI from me. I could just imagine where he was driving at. He drives a nice bmw 525i 2010. He has been there, tasted what and how it looks like coughing out hard earn cash for a repair he can be quick to avoid. The fear of "eps" on bmw is the beginning of wisdom. Not expensive though just only $5k.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 8:44am On Sep 18, 2016
honmusa:

Seems u are more interested in winning an argument than try to see the point I am raising and you never attempt any alternatives to the op question .
Fan ON state is dependent on 2 control :
1.0 Temperature engine control which trigger the fan to work intermittently
2.0 AC control which trigger the fan to work continuously
so tell me which has more influence on the fan .
Let hear your own attempt to the question rather than your attack to another suggestion.
1&2 are correct
BUT, to you last lines, someone been driving 3 hrs, his/her Engine Temp is at normal max circa 90.I dont know if you know but the car temp is meant to Increase when you slow down/stop(not moving across breeze)Reason some cars have Auxiliary fans(Belt Driven Fans)(Manual fans with clutches)So your fan is more likely to be switched on as you slow down/stop o nce you are approaching a pool of water so U see my friend your probability is WRONG.
Now as to my suggestion to the question asked by OP.
Answer for teh last time.DO NOT DRIVE FRU A POOL OF WATER IF ITS HIGH ENOUGH TO GET INTO YOUR CAR/ABOVE UR SPLASH GUARD.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 8:54am On Sep 18, 2016
mayor2013:

Let me digress a bit. I was currently @ the bmw 100th year anniversary. Got there at about 12pm. It rained heavily that day. A die hard fan of bmw and also an automobile engineer which we called to know if he was coming couldn't because of the rain. Guess what? He was asking what the conditions of the road were down to VI from me. I could just imagine where he was driving at. He drives a nice bmw 525i 2010. He has been there, tasted what and how it looks like coughing out hard earn cash for a repair he can be quick to avoid. The fear of "eps" on bmw is the beginning of wisdom. Not expensive though just only $5k.
In 2008 I drove my Jeep Liberty a 2004 model on that NTA Rd in PH when it was under construction it was a big pool of water and it went off, and it has good ground clearance almost 2ft.After 30 mins It started until date I dnt know what went wrong but I never tried it again.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by mayor2013: 10:21am On Sep 18, 2016
erico2k2:

In 2008 I drove my Jeep Liberty a 2004 model on that NTA Rd in PH when it was under construction it was a big pool of water and it went off, and it has good ground clearance almost 2ft.After 30 mins It started until date I dnt know what went wrong but I never tried it again.

grin
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by paix(m): 3:26pm On Sep 18, 2016
lonelydora:

What happens to the radiator fan which is also on?
Maybe you'd need to switch off the ignition and push the car through.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by byna: 3:46pm On Sep 18, 2016
paix:
grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 4:25pm On Sep 18, 2016
paix:
yes fold your trousers and take off you shirt as well then begin Pish6 grin grin grin
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by ironheart(m): 5:34pm On Sep 18, 2016
erico2k2:

1&2 are correct
BUT, to you last lines, someone been driving 3 hrs, his/her Engine Temp is at normal max circa 90.I dont know if you know but the car temp is meant to Increase when you slow down/stop(not moving across breeze)Reason some cars have Auxiliary fans(Belt Driven Fans)(Manual fans with clutches)So your fan is more likely to be switched on as you slow down/stop o nce you are approaching a pool of water so U see my friend your probability is WRONG.
Answer for teh last time.DO NOT DRIVE FRU A POOL OF WATER IF ITS HIGH ENOUGH TO GET INTO YOUR CAR/ABOVE UR SPLASH GUARD.
the moment you drive into that pool of water, there are chances that the fan will switch off due to the engine getting cool by the pool of water. We all know there is bound to be cooling. Beside its raining n the temp wouldn't be as high as you may want us to think.

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by ironheart(m): 5:40pm On Sep 18, 2016
mayor2013:

bmw are just meant for show off. I once wad a ford ranger xlt through water ad high as the window level n a bmw x6 died in that water. I will never want to be in that situation in my life again
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by honmusa(m): 5:42pm On Sep 18, 2016
erico2k2:

1&2 are correct
I have already given up on you because you all your argument are all baseless,how does your answer fit the question at hand .
In fact I have been wasting my precious time all this while .
(Unfollowed thread)
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by honmusa(m): 5:43pm On Sep 18, 2016
erico2k2:

1&2 are correct
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by paix(m): 6:56pm On Sep 18, 2016
erico2k2:

yes fold your trousers and take off you shirt as well then begin Pish6 grin grin grin
Abi o.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by mayor2013: 7:33pm On Sep 18, 2016
ironheart:
bmw are just meant for show off. I once wad a ford ranger xlt through water ad high as the window level n a bmw x6 died in that water. I will never want to be in that situation in my life again

You call bmw a show off ride. Drive a bmw and a Japanese car and tell me the difference. There rules and regulations one needs to abide using big rides

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by ironheart(m): 7:52pm On Sep 18, 2016
mayor2013:

You call bmw a show off ride. Drive a bmw and a Japanese car and tell me the difference. There rules and regulations one needs to abide using big rides
my brother, a car is meant to be driven not the car driving you. Yea bmw are great but they cannot withstand everyday stress. I am not a fan of ford but for the singular reason i was able to wad through that water twice in a day, and the only broken down vehicle in that place was a bmw. Then its a show off car.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by mayor2013: 8:14pm On Sep 18, 2016
ironheart:
my brother, a car is meant to be driven not the car driving you. Yea bmw are great but they cannot withstand everyday stress. I am not a fan of ford but for the singular reason i was able to wad through that water twice in a day, and the only broken down vehicle in that place was a bmw. Then its a show off car.

Your school of thought maybe different from mine though undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 9:17pm On Sep 18, 2016
ironheart:
the moment you drive into that pool of water, there are chances that the fan will switch off due to the engine getting cool by the pool of water. We all know there is bound to be cooling. Beside its raining n the temp wouldn't be as high as you may want us to think.
You are missing the point, we are not talking river, we are talking pool of water ie water up to 1.5 feet high, hows that meant to reach and submerge ur Engine?If your fan ever come with contact with high flood what will happen is the blades will snap.
As per raining and cooling of Engine,Im guessing you forgot the Engine warms up internally regardless of external temperature.You seem to forget we are talking of an Internal combustion Engine here.(Heat is generated from within) not gained from outside
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 9:22pm On Sep 18, 2016
ironheart:
window level? U mean water went into the throttle body and the car never went off?

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by ironheart(m): 9:26pm On Sep 18, 2016
erico2k2:

window level? U mean water went into the throttle body and the car never went off?
yes that high, it beats my imagination how ford did it. This happened 3 weeks ago. I do not like ford product but that day i develop full respect for for ranger pickup truck.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by ironheart(m): 9:33pm On Sep 18, 2016
erico2k2:

You are missing the point, we are not talking river, we are talking pool of water ie water up to 1.5 feet high, hows that meant to reach and submerge ur Engine?If your fan ever come with contact with high flood what will happen is the blades will snap.
As per raining and cooling of Engine,Im guessing you forgot the Engine warms up internally regardless of external temperature.You seem to forget we are talking of an Internal combustion Engine here.(Heat is generated from within) not gained from outside
if my physics is right your wrong, cos the fan wouldnt make a dierct hit to the water. Fluid dinamics will play, uneven surface n water swell will in a way slow down the fan until it stop, being a pool doesnt stop it from cooling the engine.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by mayor2013: 10:02pm On Sep 18, 2016
ironheart:
yes that high, it beats my imagination how ford did it. This happened 3 weeks ago. I do not like ford product but that day i develop full respect for for ranger pickup truck.

Don't be suprised what's coming in for your ford ranger grin. It would hear from the gods wink

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by ironheart(m): 10:13pm On Sep 18, 2016
mayor2013:

Don't be suprised what's coming in for your ford ranger grin. It would hear from the gods wink
hahahahaha mayor you want my company to deduct all my salary just to fix a car? Haba na
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by DECOtech(m): 12:10am On Sep 19, 2016
lonelydora:

What happens to the radiator fan which is also on?

Your radiator fan is not supposed to be always on

1 Like

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by lonelydora: 12:38am On Sep 19, 2016
DECOtech:

I know. What if at the point of entering the water, it is on.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by byna: 7:12am On Sep 19, 2016
lonelydora:

I know. What if at the point of entering the water, it is on.

If it's ON it won't suddenly get off Co's you re entering a pool that is cool instead I will splash water toward the engine if the fan is low. I once changed the fan on my c-class Co's water entered the electronic control module on the fan which is very low on the engine. Costs #50grand

2 Likes

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 7:14am On Sep 19, 2016
ironheart:
if my physics is right your wrong, cos the fan wouldnt make a dierct hit to the water. Fluid dinamics will play, uneven surface n water swell will in a way slow down the fan until it stop, being a pool doesnt stop it from cooling the engine.
you are wrong, Go sturdy ur fluid Mechanics again.
You are assuming the fan blades to be a propeller when in fact its meant to pull air (FAN)rather than produce thrust.U are getting it mixed up bro
i would ike to remind you again, its internal combustion(heat is generated inside)your Engine has a working temperature 90 deg. thats when your themo gauge is at the middle.have you ever seen the gauge come down once it reaches the middle when you are driving?
ANything that obstruct ur fan causing it to stop would amount to overheating.Most fans are now electric controled by your Engine temp and sensor in front of your radiator.
if you are driving very fast and you can pull enough Air to cool the radiator your fan tend to stop working as its almost not needed, in the clutch system its called freewheeling if spelt right.I turns back on when the air you get is less than the Air needed to cool the radiator due to slow down in speed
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 7:16am On Sep 19, 2016
byna:

If it's ON it won't suddenly get off Co's you re entering a pool that is cool instead I will splash water toward the engine if the fan is low. I once changed the fan on my c-class Co's water entered the electronic control module on the fan which is very low on the engine. Costs #50grand
Thank you very much, most guys here are just guessing they do not have first hand expirience of killing ur car when you drive fru flood, its the dumbest thing ever.I will upload a fan assy of a BMW 318 I bought with its ECM.These fan assy cannot be wired directly.

Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 7:39am On Sep 19, 2016
DECOtech:

This is very correct but when you slow down or in traffic this is the time the fan is most needed so its would be on, have you not seen car just parked keys off and the fan still ON?
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 7:40am On Sep 19, 2016
ironheart:
your intake must by very high cos if the water gets into your intake you will experience Hydro-lock.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by ironheart(m): 11:21am On Sep 19, 2016
erico2k2:

you are wrong, Go sturdy ur fluid Mechanics again.
You are assuming the fan blades to be a propeller when in fact its meant to pull air (FAN)rather than produce thrust.U are getting it mixed up bro
i would ike to remind you again, its internal combustion(heat is generated inside)your Engine has a working temperature 90 deg. thats when your themo gauge is at the middle.have you ever seen the gauge come down once it reaches the middle when you are driving?
ANything that obstruct ur fan causing it to stop would amount to overheating.Most fans are now electric controled by your Engine temp and sensor in front of your radiator.
if you are driving very fast and you can pull enough Air to cool the radiator your fan tend to stop working as its almost not needed, in the clutch system its called freewheeling if spelt right.I turns back on when the air you get is less than the Air needed to cool the radiator due to slow down in speed
a quick question to you, do you run into a pool of water while driving? Mind you we have a bumper, condenser, a radiator before you get to the fans, beside majority of the water will come from under the vehicle. I still stand by my thinking and open to be proved wrong that your fan will not break. Yes it stays at 90' but in that water there must be heat loss n i have a thinking its enough to cool the engine to a certain degree
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by ironheart(m): 11:23am On Sep 19, 2016
erico2k2:

your intake must by very high cos if the water gets into your intake you will experience Hydro-lock.
that should be very true.
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by erico2k2(m): 11:56am On Sep 19, 2016
ironheart:
a quick question to you, do you run into a pool of water while driving? Mind you we have a bumper, condenser, a radiator before you get to the fans, beside majority of the water will come from under the vehicle. I still stand by my thinking and open to be proved wrong that your fan will not break. Yes it stays at 90' but in that water there must be heat loss n i have a thinking its enough to cool the engine to a certain degree
to your question YES cos you do not float fru it you drive fru it but at what speed that's entirely up to the driver.
I get where you are getting confused, yeah there will be loss of heat if part of the Engine submerge in water but not enough to stop the fan from working, if that was not the case then in winter my Fan wont need to work cos the winter weather is cooler than any pool of water in west africa, hope this answers your question
Re: Why Do I Have To Turn Off My AC When Entering A Pool Of Water? by ironheart(m): 11:59am On Sep 19, 2016
erico2k2:

to your question YES cos you do not float fru it you drive fru it but at what speed that's entirely up to the driver.
I get where you are getting confused, yeah there will be loss of heat if part of the Engine submerge in water but not enough to stop the fan from working, if that was not the case then in winter my Fan wont need to work cos the winter weather is cooler than any pool of water in west africa, hope this answers your question
ok

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Can I Differentiate Between Korean And Chinese Car Batteries? / A Bugatti Veyron Spotted In Abuja. / Peugeot 307 "Depollution System Faulty" - What?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.