Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,166 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:18 AM

Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? (18745 Views)

Do You Turn Off Your Car While At Filling Station Queue ? / Using Car Engine For Generator / 5 Main Causes Of Car Engine Vibration (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by trantoan: 4:04am On Jul 03, 2018
Source: https://naijauto.com/car-maintenance/should-you-turn-off-the-ac-system-before-shutting-off-your-cars-engine-196

Does it harm the engine or is it a health risk? Read our article to find out.
Many drivers believe that shutting off the air-conditioner (A/C) several minutes before turning off the car engine is good for protecting the engine. In fact, this action doesn’t affect the engine’s life, it is just beneficial for your health and your car’s interior.

Today, the A/C is an essential part of modern cars, especially in countries that suffer from a hot climate like Nigeria. However, not all car users know how to use the A/C system properly and many of them make mistakes in using the A/C, causing negative effects on the health of users and the car maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCbLpc2dIcM

Before you turn your car's A/C on, find out why it could cost you
An A/C comprises of a condenser, a throttle, a compressor, the coolant gas, a vaporizer and a desiccant. The compressor and the car engine are connected by a cassette wire, and the compressor only works when the engine starts. Therefore, many car users think that as the A/C works, it will consume a considerable amount of fuel and power, creating some extra weights for the engine to carry, particularly in the ignition phase. With that in mind, they believe that it is better to turn off the A/C system before stopping the car engine and to start the A/C after the engine works up, instead of turning both of them at the same time.

Not all car users know how to use the A/C system properly and many of them make mistakes in using the A/C

However, as shared by Howstuffworks, no matter the A/C systemi is on or off, it poses no risk on the car engine.

Thanks to the ever advanced technology used on today's cars, whenever you start your vehicle, the ECU will automatically turn off all other support systems of the car to focus battery and fuel to the engine. Additionally, like other devices on the car such as radios and lights, the A/C system will automatically switch off for a brief moment. So shutting down the A/C before or after the car stops doesn’t affect the engine’s durability or operation. So if you want to enjoy the cool air for the last minutes on the road to work, relax or back home, it will not hurt your beloved car.

As shared by Howstuffworks, no matter the A/C system is on or off, it poses no risk on the car engine

However, it is much more important as it could affect your health or other people in the car. Getting out the cooled cabin to the hot atmosphere outside makes it easy for people to get a heat shock. So, it is advised that the A/C system should be turned off a few minutes before the car stops, which gives enough time for your body to adapt to the outside temperature. Moreover, this also allows the A/C air intake which often accumulates moisture due to humidity to get dry and prevent the growth of mold in the interior. And this is exactly a smart solution for your car if you are suffering an unpleasant odor every time you walk into the car (most likely due to mold).

It is advised that the A/C system should be turned off a few minutes before the car stops

Source:https://naijauto.com/car-maintenance/should-you-turn-off-the-ac-system-before-shutting-off-your-cars-engine-196

1 Like

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:47am On Jul 03, 2018
That is advisable to do.
Shutting off the air-conditioningsystem a few minutes before stopping the vehicle does not necessarily protect the engine, as believed by many drivers. However, doing so is still highly recommended to protect your health and to avoid mold growth inyour car's interior.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by mmb(m): 7:47am On Jul 03, 2018
Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by justi4jesu(f): 7:48am On Jul 03, 2018
Yes Ofcourse

1 Like

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by Lexusgs430: 7:48am On Jul 03, 2018
I no get AC..... Just wind glass down and enjoy the fumes + humidity in the air.....

16 Likes

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 7:50am On Jul 03, 2018
Lexusgs430:
I no get AC..... Just wind glass down and enjoy the fumes + humidity in the air.....
Lol cheesy, nothing like fresh breeze by nature!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by Franklyspeakin: 7:50am On Jul 03, 2018
So what exactly are you now saying sef

2 Likes

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by Naturallyme: 7:51am On Jul 03, 2018
YES turn off to reduce load on engine at start-up. Most engines experience hard starting due to highly viscous engine oil in cold morning. Having AC on while at cold starting is adding more load to the engine. this could cause considerable wear if repeated often

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by demulepaul: 7:51am On Jul 03, 2018
Let me ask my Oga at the Top shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

1 Like

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by cabilla(m): 7:53am On Jul 03, 2018
i think is good to off the i think is good to off the i think is good to off the A/C
Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by Lexusgs430: 7:54am On Jul 03, 2018
post=69035626:

You cannot beat it....
Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 03, 2018
Copy and paste ... Someone on this platform made this exact post 3-4yrs ago.. Words for words, though I believe one or two persons can still learn from it

3 Likes

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by Nobody: 7:55am On Jul 03, 2018
But using the air con immediately entering the car on a hot day affects health.
Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by Offpoint: 8:02am On Jul 03, 2018
Thanks, op... I thought it'll affect my leggediz Benz, I always imagine my little toe as ACgrin

No matter how advance technology is, there won't be any vehicle better than leggediz Benz. it's the toughest, roughest of them and cost efficient. no fuel needed, zero or little maintenance needed, off-road and on~road e dey kampe.

4 Likes

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by ITbomb(m): 8:09am On Jul 03, 2018
If you are driving a 2010+ model car, you need not fear about load on engine
The only thing you should car about is your health

1 Like

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by neonly: 8:09am On Jul 03, 2018
Reason I turn off d ac before switching off yur car is just because it allows d alternator to charge yur battery wella be4 yur next start up
Simple
Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by africanusvu(m): 8:13am On Jul 03, 2018
The most stupid question in nairaland so far

1 Like

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by lokito: 8:15am On Jul 03, 2018
IjogzK:
Copy and paste ... Someone on this platform made this exact post 3-4yrs ago.. Words for words, though I believe one or two persons can still learn from it

Nairaland is becoming a useless forum everyday. People post more educative topics and the so called Mods just shirk and keep recycling.
The Mods need sense!!!

1 Like

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by seyiojomu(m): 8:31am On Jul 03, 2018
For good reasons, it is best to switch off before turning of your engines so that it doesn't have to start with your engine on the next time you turn the car on. Newer cars are really protected and smart but also delicate. I drive a 2010 Acura TL SH-AWD, I was driving one day and the car sensed that I was loosing electric power, first thing the car asked me to do was turn off the AC, the raidio and any lights on in order to save enough power for the electric steering and drive me to safety, and this happened after about 30mins drive from my last stop. I bet if I let my AC on when starting the car, I may never have been able to move an inch cos the car would have needed to split power in many ways.

Likewise, leaving all your accessories on before switching off would put your ECU in a standby mode to properly send power to all this sources once the power comes on again from your ignition, this means more work and overtime will lead to faster failure. You may also notice that when you switch your AC on, there is a chance your rev meter will change balance in a split second, this shows how much energy is needed to run accessories and all even when the engine has been running already, now imagine a engine from cold start with accessories on, keep it up regularly and you will pay for it shortly as well.

If you want cars that can run AC and other accessories on while the ignition is off and work on battery alone efficiently, you should consider get an Acura RLX or Lexus LS models.

5 Likes

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by OboOlora(f): 8:34am On Jul 03, 2018
Ok
Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by Jasperro(m): 8:34am On Jul 03, 2018
cool
Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by Blonchilli(m): 8:37am On Jul 03, 2018
trantoan do the AC increases fuel usage? Thanks for the post, a lot of people usually emphasis so much on turning off the AC thinking it affects the engine.

1 Like

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by nairaman66(m): 8:43am On Jul 03, 2018
post=69035626:

I think you are nutty by nature!! grin
Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by webincomeplus(m): 8:53am On Jul 03, 2018
Naturallyme:
YES turn off to reduce load on engine at start-up. Most engines experience hard starting due to highly viscous engine oil in cold morning. Having AC on while at cold starting is adding more load to the engine. this could cause considerable wear if repeated often
You're here still repeating the same thing that auto experts have debunked. Did you read the article?
Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by chimexdnice1(m): 9:37am On Jul 03, 2018
cabilla:
i think is good to off the i think is good to off the i think is good to off the A/C

kilode

1 Like

Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by SOPIGO: 9:37am On Jul 03, 2018
I notice some weird with my car.... Wen I accelerate d A/C come out more. The more I accelerate d more d A/C guage out. Wat could be d problem, it wasn't like that b4.
Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by Oraclebase: 10:02am On Jul 03, 2018
If they say for health reasons, i would totally agree due to the difference in temperature. From a very cool temp to a hot temp.
Not everything r meant to be swallowed line hook n sinker. Someone made mention of the rev meter deflecting when the av is turned off or on. This alone and the change in the sound of the car should tell you the AC affects the car as an added load to it which also affects fuel consumption but very little for recent cars. For cold startup, all electrical or added accessories like AC, car sterio, DVD, inverter charging devices, cigarette liter, headlamp, traffic indicator/hazard, inner light, radiator fan, heater, wipper, fan etc should be turned off to reduce the power consume from such hard start. Most people don't know the compressor is connected to the engine directly via a belt pulley and when the AC is on, the pulley grove on the part of the compressor becomes stiff by magnetism (induction) thereby leading to more added power on the kickstart to turn both the engine n the stiff compressor. When the engine is fully on, this added resistance is also still there which leads to added fuel consumption. I have heard where people say the number of load carried by a car doesn't affect the fuel consumption but they keep forgetting that all this are added resistance which must have effect on the car n fuel consumption. Take a very simple example to explain the cold start/AC/fuel/carrying more load. If you are given a baby to carry n run for 20poles after eating, then compare it to carrying an adult and running same distance with same amount of food. You would notice that the food eaten would burn faster, you would get tired n won't still not get there as d same time as when carrying a baby. The baby/adult carried is d load/added accessories (AC, TV, fridge etc), you r the car/engine, the food is the fuel/oil... Its as simple as that. Having a recent car with modified ECU only helps to make the car smart to take certain decision for the user/driver like not engaging the AC on cold start for few seconds until the car is fully up n running(don't know d time duration) just like the way thermostat would not allow the cars radiator's fan to come up until the cars engine hits a particular temperature and after cooling down to a certain safe temperature shuts down again. This is the cars way of saving fuel, reducing stress to the engine n all its electrical parts including the cars battery. I have taken my time to explain all this as simple as I can and I'm still up to be corrected if I'm wrong but that's the truth cos we keep learning everyday. Thanks for reading as this is very long. 08151666956
Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by PeaceGord: 10:12am On Jul 03, 2018
post=69035555:
That is advisable to do.
Shutting off the air-conditioningsystem a few minutes before stopping the vehicle does not necessarily protect the engine, as believed by many drivers. However, doing so is still highly recommended to protect your health and to avoid mold growth inyour car's interior.

Ignorant thrash.

What do you know?
You think this has to do with Buhari or APC?

No silly contribution will amuse here!

Nonsense!
Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by AdemolaA2: 10:48am On Jul 03, 2018
Funny enough , the last paragraph doesn’t and can’t work for Naija weather during dry season . “Turning off your AC system mins before getting off the car is like a disaster for so many . I doubt the credibility of this article though.
Re: Should You Turn Off The A/C System Before Shutting Off Your Car’s Engine? by AdemolaA2: 10:49am On Jul 03, 2018
S

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Toyota Corolla Makes Screeching Sound When Braking / Why Is INTERNATIONAL DRIVING PERMIT Not Allowed In Nigeria. / 7 Cool Suvs Made In Africa You Need To Check Out

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.