Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,602 members, 7,812,972 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:39 AM

Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. (2079 Views)

Umi Super Euro Edition Unboxing And Hands On. / Bluboo Maya Vs Homtom HT7 Vs Oukitel U7 Pro Vs Umi Rome X - Which Do You Prefer? / UMI Touch 3GB RAM|13MP Camera|fingerprint|5.5-inch|Front Camera flash|4000mah (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 1:29pm On Sep 18, 2016
The detailed review of umi Super Euro Edition is finally ready. I waited this long before dropping the review because I don't want this review to be like every other review out there. As you may already know, most phone reviewers drop reviews within a day or two, or maybe a week of use. This isn't wrong per se but they're less likely to experience the problems long time users experience so that's why I took out time to load it apps, multi-task it, and put it through other rigorous tests to see if it is what the hype.

Now let's get down to business.

If you missed the Unboxing and hands with speculations please go here I can't write everything over again.
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 1:31pm On Sep 18, 2016
FIRST IMPRESSION

Like I have stated in the Unboxing thread, the Umi Super Euro Edition comes in a premium black metal box and the first thing that comes to mind when you sight the phone is wow! This is a premium device.

When you pick it up, you will say "wow, this is heavy" But that's the only time you're going to say that cause you will soon get used to the weight.

The big battery inside in collaboration with the much hyped full metal build gave it a considerable amount of weight. 196g.

But you will easily forget the weight because the Umi Super Euro Edition feels really solid and sturdy. It's a device that won't break or scratch easily.

A 5,5-inch display sits gently on the front panel with tiny black bezels. The screen also featured the 2.5D with less chamfered edges.

Right below the display is the circular halo LED light hidden right inside the capacitance home button. The Halo light is fully customizable with 7 different colors to assign to various notifications.

The remaining two capacitative buttons are located on each side side of the the halo capacitative button but they're sadly not backlight.

The good news however is that you can turn them off and use onscreen navigation buttons as a replacement. Either of them works perfectly.

Power buton and volume rocker buttons are located on the right side. On the left side you can find the SIM tray accomodating either two micro-SIM cards or one with additional microSD up to 256 GB. Below the tray is the special shortcut key, which you can assign to launch any of the applications.

A lone 3.5mm headphone jack sits on the top while the USB Type-C charging connector, two speaker grills are located on the bottom.

The back panel of the phone is just like the rest of the unibody construction made of long lasting aluminum alloy with matte finish. The back is also very slightly curved too (165° arc) for better grip. Camera lens is positioned up top with the dual LED flash and even further below the circular fingerprint scanner and the UMI logo.

Like I said earlier, despite being a bit heavier than current devices, the overall build of the phone is on a very high level and it truly makes a good impression.

Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 1:36pm On Sep 18, 2016
HARDWARE

The Helio P10 (MT6755) octa-core processor is an upper midrange SoC that's capable of handling quite some load. It’s clocked at 2 GHz, accomodates the big.LITTLE architecture and brings the Mali-T860MP2 GPU clocked at 700 MHz. UMI tried to pump up the higher aspirations with providing 4 GB of Samsung LPDDR3 RAM. The onboard storage is 32GB.

In the connectivity, the super has a 4G FDD-LTE bands 1/3/7/20, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n is present just as Bluetooth 4.1,USB Type-C 2.0, GPS/A-GPS/Glonnas or OTG support. The phone HAS collection of sensors more than most phones from China, including gyroscope, compass, proximity or ambient light and what Umi calls independent FM radio tuner. Battery comes from the Sony production and offers quite big 4000 mAh capacity and fast charge support.

The super euro edition has a super secure Microarray 360° 3D recognition fingerprint scanner with blazing fast unlock speed. Sadly it cannot be used to secure apps and files.
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 1:36pm On Sep 18, 2016
OPERATIVE SYSTEM

The UMI Super Euro Edition is virtually stock Android and wherever there's a slight touch, it's all for the best.

The company kept things pretty simple. The Super Euro Edition is running almost fully clean Android 6.0 Marshmallow build with no bloatware and annoying things.

Everything flows fast and smooth, courtesy of the 4 GB of RAM and Mediatek processor.

There are no hiccups or extensive wait times anywhere. Apps load pretty fast and the phone doesn't heat up while in use but does heat up a little while charging though.

UMI have implented very interesting Background Task Clear settings that enables you to whitelist apps from being cleared from the memory.
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 1:37pm On Sep 18, 2016
PERFORMANCE

The performance of the popular Helio P10 and Mali-T860MP2 GPU shows that the Umi Super Euro Edition isn't a real 2016 flagship device. It's what I chose to call "a higher midrange device" with premium specs, build at affordable price. It isn't even supposed to be contesting with flagship devices from other top brands, considering the price.

On the hand, the phone maxed out in storage tests, ie in write and read speed tests

As for multi-tasking and gaming, the device is better than many Helio P10 equipped phones but it can be better.

The 4 GB RAM helps a lot. Though I personally haven't tested many games but I am sure gamers are not going to have considerable problem with the phone at all.

Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 1:39pm On Sep 18, 2016
BATTERY LIFE

This is probably the first thing many of us consider when getting a new device, all thanks to NEPA.

The 4000 mAh Sony battery sounded promising on paper and the company said that phone lasts longer than is expected from battery.

Is that true?

My daily usage Confirms that the statement is true. The phone was 100% charged on arrival and I used it nonstop down to 15%and recorded a little above 6hrs SOT.

What I was doing?

Transferring and installing apps, music, video, pictures. Music was playing throughout and I tested a few games after Installation.

That's not bad if you ask me.

You're never gonna come back from work with 0% battery.

Charging the phone is breezy, the PumpExpress Plus support works perfectly. While watching Chelsea vs Swansea, I charged the phone from 0%-100 while the match is on 67minutes, a good share of the thanks goes to the charger that is capable of delivering 5V/2.5A or 7V/1.67A, 9V/1.67A and 12V/1.25A.
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 1:40pm On Sep 18, 2016
CAMERA

The rear 13mp sensor from Panasonic is not something we see in smartphones every day and it surely didn't disappoint. Just like the way Umi kept their promise in battery, the UMi Super offers a decent camera you won’t easily find in smartphones of its price tier.

You don't have to be a geek to use all its features, everything is exactly where it should be. The only problem I had with it is focusing around the edges but then there's no perfect phone out there and I believe it's something that can be fixed with an update but even with the minor problems, the software side of things is above average and pictures are still cleanly detailed.

The camera is shutter lag free, the camera app has some nice features like Tracking Autofocus for moving targets or Picture-in-picture mode(allows you to snap with the front and rear cam at once) . Low-light performance is actually decent too, the double LED flash feels strong and while. The 5mp selfie camera takes decent pictures too.

Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 1:41pm On Sep 18, 2016
SPEAKERS AND AUDIO

The speaker on the UMi SUPER is located close to the USB Type-C port on the bottom of the device. The phone featured AW8738 audio chip, which technically gives the UMi SUPER HiFi audio. In reality, it does sound much better than most of the other smartphones in its category but not louder.

UMI added a few features like BesAudEnh, BesLoudness and BesSurround, which will improve the audio and bring it more inline with the users liking.

The receiver is loud and clear and people on the other side hears men clearly

Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 1:44pm On Sep 18, 2016
CONCLUSION.

The special Euro Edition comes in a color you won't easily see in metal body smartphone, I didn't like it at first(black is my best color) but I fell in love with its uniqueness in the long run.

The plain logoless front panel makes it even more unique, people must ask me the name of the device to know it.

I also enjoy the near vanilla Android experience and choice to chose between on-screen or capacitive navigation buttons but I sadly can't turn off data or location. Dunno why they turn themselves on when the feel.

I believe it's a bug that can be fixed by an update and the company said that Android N is coming to the device on December 24th.

What Do You Think Of The Phone.

luvlyoracle Bluepearls DidiLove1 lalasticlala
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by jmichlins(m): 2:05pm On Sep 18, 2016
Tallesty1:
CONCLUSION.

The special Euro Edition comes in a color you won't easily see in metal body smartphone, I didn't like it at first(black is my best color) but I fell in love with its uniqueness in the long run.

The plain logoless front panel makes it even more unique, people must ask me the name of the device to know it.

I also enjoy the near vanilla Android experience and choice to chose between on-screen or capacitive navigation buttons but I sadly can't turn off data or location. Dunno why they turn themselves on when the feel.

I believe it's a bug that can be fixed by an update and the company said that Android N is coming to the device on December 24th.

What Do You Think Of The Phone.

luvlyoracle Bluepearls DidiLove1 lalasticlala
nice review you had there but the issue of location and data is some bug that scare people away from these Chinese oem. Well done but add price for people who may want to try it out
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 2:17pm On Sep 18, 2016
jmichlins:
nice review you had there but the issue of location and data is some bug that scare people away from these Chinese oem. Well done but add price for people who may want to try it out
I tell ya, I contacted the company and they told me that they're working on a solution, I hope they really do.

Though I have found a way to turn off data but it's not simple as turning it off from the notification area.

I rejected all location request from apps so I think that takes care of that one for now.

I am looking forward to the coming of Android N, I got a message from them that it's coming on December 24 grin grin grin.

The price is 199usd here on their website umi digi
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Sphilip1(m): 11:50pm On Sep 22, 2016
Impressive i must say
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 7:07am On Sep 23, 2016
Sphilip1:
Impressive i must say
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Owodiran1(m): 8:54pm On Sep 24, 2016
Please where did you get your umo supper from. I need one before Monday. Wanna know if the person still have in stock
Tallesty1:
Thanks
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 10:46pm On Sep 24, 2016
Owodiran1:
Please where did you get your umo supper from. I need one before Monday. Wanna know if the person still have in stock
Initialize abi nah initializ self.

I got mine directly from umi but the guy I quote is reliably reliable
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by initialize(m): 6:56pm On Sep 25, 2016
Tallesty1:
Initialize abi nah initializ self.

I got mine directly from umi but the guy I quote is reliably reliable

Thanks bro
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by CODEEATER(m): 6:43am On Sep 26, 2016
How much is it in Nigeria..
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 6:44am On Sep 26, 2016
CODEEATER:
How much is it in Nigeria..
It should be around 70k
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by reaky(m): 8:59pm On Nov 06, 2016
whats the difference between umi super euro edition and the umi super ??
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Tallesty1(m): 9:40pm On Nov 06, 2016
reaky:
whats the difference between umi super euro edition and the umi super ??
Nothing specwise
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by reaky(m): 10:15pm On Nov 06, 2016
initialize:

Thanks bro

how much can i get this phone from you

blue or gold ?
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by initialize(m): 10:27pm On Nov 06, 2016
reaky:

how much can i get this phone from you

blue or gold ?

You can reach me on whatsapp:

Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by vegs: 12:26am On Feb 12, 2017
I need this phone urgently, pls who have any for sale, Lagos connect pls
Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by Kondomatic(m): 4:13am On Feb 12, 2017
vegs:
I need this phone urgently, pls who have any for sale, Lagos connect pls
initialize

1 Like

Re: Umi Super Euro Edition: A Comprehensive Review. by pyrex23(m): 8:58am On Jan 23, 2018
initialize:

Thanks bro
can i get the digitizer/touch pad mine is faulty

(1) (Reply)

Neatly Used Samsung Galaxy Note 4 For Sale / Nokia 105 RM 1133 flash Help / How To Resume Failed Music And Video Download On UC Browser [100% Working]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.