Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,935 members, 7,828,283 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 07:50 AM

Who Knew Bash Ali Used To Be A Wrestler? - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Who Knew Bash Ali Used To Be A Wrestler? (879 Views)

Who Knew Falz Had A Buff Body Like This? (photos) / Tboss, Tiwa Savage And Annie Idibia Stun At Birthday Bash / Who Knew Toolz Is Left Handed? (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Knew Bash Ali Used To Be A Wrestler? by INFOTECH2: 5:31pm On Sep 18, 2016
You started as a wrestler. How did you get into boxing?

Boxing was a total coincidence. I was a wrestler when I left Nigeria. In fact, I left on a wrestling scholarship. Mildred Burke Professional School of Wrestling in the USA gave me a scholarship and I left for America in September 1974. But when I got to USA, I saw the wrestlers, all 6feet 9inches, 400pounds, and here I was, 160pounds. I knew they would simply kill me. So, I went to school and was looking for work one day when I saw a poster of Mohamed Ali on the wall and I went in and saw two guys in boxing bout. So, I told the supervisor I would like to spar with one of them, and he told me to come the following day.

I had seen Mohamed Ali, Ken Norton, George Foreman and Joe Frazier on TV. I was excited. But it was not as easy; the first guy I fought nearly killed me.

My first pro fight netted me just $400, and I nearly cried because I had promised my mother I was going to send her money to buy a car and do other things! The guy who fought in the main event netted close to $300,000. So, I decided to take up the sport full-time and also to work hard and be very good at it.

Boxing Record:

Regional and Minor Titles Won

December 03, 1980, USBA Cruiserweight Title
June 19, 1985, NABF Cruiserweight Title
September 23, 1988, Nigerian Heavyweight Title
February 23, 1990, WBC International Cruiserweight Title
July 31, 1993, African Heavyweight Title
September 11, 2000, WBF Cruiserweight Title
Re: Who Knew Bash Ali Used To Be A Wrestler? by 007Nasky(m): 6:14pm On Sep 18, 2016
neva heard of Him
Re: Who Knew Bash Ali Used To Be A Wrestler? by INFOTECH2: 10:55pm On Sep 18, 2016
007Nasky:
neva heard of Him

Really!

You must be kidding.
Re: Who Knew Bash Ali Used To Be A Wrestler? by 007Nasky(m): 7:07am On Sep 19, 2016
INFOTECH2:

Really!
You must be kidding.
am serious
Re: Who Knew Bash Ali Used To Be A Wrestler? by INFOTECH2: 3:03pm On Sep 29, 2016
007Nasky:
am serious

Well, the guy is a big Nigerian boxing legend.
Re: Who Knew Bash Ali Used To Be A Wrestler? by 007Nasky(m): 3:56pm On Sep 29, 2016
INFOTECH2:

Well, the guy is a big Nigerian boxing legend.
wow. 9ce 2 hear dat

(1) (Reply)

Hilarious! A Nigerian Lady Offering Her Support For Brad Pitt. / Jenifer Akindele Expensive Xmas Gift To School Children (photos And Videos) / Wizkid's Presence Boosts The Headies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.