Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,465 members, 7,816,089 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:56 AM

*ten Logical Fallacies You Should Be Aware Of In Arguements - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / *ten Logical Fallacies You Should Be Aware Of In Arguements (654 Views)

I Need Arguements For Or Against This Motion / We Are Not Aware Of Lautech’s Resumption, ASUU, SSANU Say / Nairalander Offers 10 Thousand Naira For Anyone Who Solves This Logical Riddle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

*ten Logical Fallacies You Should Be Aware Of In Arguements by Baltazarcus(m): 11:36pm On Sep 18, 2016
1. *Faulty Cause*: assumes that because one thing follows another, the second thing was definitively caused by the first — also known as the post hoc, ergo propter hoc fallacy. Example: Shawn broke his mother's mirror, and sure enough, he was in a car wreck the next week.

2. *Sweeping Generalization*: assumes that what is true in most cases must be true in all cases. Example: lectures whoses text book are compulsory to buy also sort during exams therefore this new lecturer insisting on his text book must be bought should also be sortable.

3. *Hasty Generalization*: assumes that a small piece of information is soundly representative of the whole situation. Example: I don't like Anambra men. The last one i dated always bring up issues of male dominance over ladies ,it had made me feel low self-esteem as a lady.

4. *Faulty Analogy*: assumes that if two things are alike in some ways, they must be alike in all ways. Example: Nneka and joy has the same stature loves to sing the same type of music and resemble a little bit, so they must have very similar personalities.

5. *Faulty Sign*: assumes that one event is a reliable predictor of another. Example: That guy is wearing a big Starter jacket, has a tattoo, and wears saggy trouser and has a black lips. He's probably a cultist.

6. *Tautology*: defines an argument in a manner that makes it impossible to disprove. Example: You are an arguementative person and, if you disagree with me on this one, it will just prove even more how arguementative you are.

7. *Appeal to Authority*: justifies an argument by citing a famous or popular person who also supports the argument. Example: Those dancing shoes are great for Michael Jackson(blessed memory), so they'll be great for me.(a learner)

8. *Slippery Slope*: assumes that a particular step invariably leads to similar steps, culminating with a negative outcome. Example: If I let one student hand in their paper late, then I'll have to let others hand theirs in late, too, and before you know it, everyone will be begging for an extension.

9. *Red Herring*: attempts to divert attention away from the real issue. Example: When accused by the lexturer of examination malpractice, The nigga says, "Nothing I do ever pleases that old HOD. I spent a whole week running errands for them at the faculty, and then all he did was complain about how I'd sees alot of me in the faculty."

10. *Appeal to Ignorance*: uses a person's inability to disprove a claim as proof that the claim is right. Example: We know there are people living on other planets in other galaxies because no one can prove that there are not.

(1) (Reply)

POST UTME: Nigerians Want Bayero University Sanctioned / Assistant For Petroleum Engineering / Is Jamb 2017 Registeration Started?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.