Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,092 members, 7,852,696 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 12:52 AM

Herdsman Jailed For 2 Years – The First Casualty Of Fayose’s Anti-grazing Law - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Herdsman Jailed For 2 Years – The First Casualty Of Fayose’s Anti-grazing Law (471 Views)

This Photo Of Fayose With Fayemi Shows Why You Should Not Fight For Politicians / Cattle Spotted On The Street Of Ado-Ekiti Despite Fayose's Anti-Grazing Bill / Fayose's Anti-china Loan: Odigie-oyegun & Oni React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Herdsman Jailed For 2 Years – The First Casualty Of Fayose’s Anti-grazing Law by Nobody: 8:28am On Sep 20, 2016

Ali Haruna, a herdsman in Ekiti state, has been sentenced to two years imprisonment for taking his cows for grazing on a farmland and destroying crops.

The accused was arraigned over a two-count charge of willful and unlawful damage of farm crops at Ago Aduloju in Ado-Ekiti.

In May, Ayodele Fayose, governor of Ekiti state,banned grazing in the state following the death of two farmers in Oke-Ako in Ikole local government area.

He later forwarded a bill criminalising movement of cattle from one location to another to the house of assembly.

Haruna was confirmed by the four prosecuting witnesses to have been caught midnight grazing his cow in the farm belonging to Abdulahi Yaho and Bello Mohammed.

The cash crops said to have destroyed by the cows in the farm included cassava, maize, okro and pepper, all valued at N3 million.

In his defence, the defendant had told the court that the owner of the cows lived in Ilorin, Kwara.

Delivering his judgement, Idowu Ayenimo, a magistrate, said the court did not believe Haruna’s defence because it was not credible.

He held that the police prosecutor, Olasunkanmi Bankole, had proved his case beyond reasonable doubt. He thereby convicted the defendant as charged without option of fine.

The magistrate ordered that the sentence should run concurrently, explaining that the term was minimal because the offence was committed before the grazing law was promulgated in the state.

Chris Omokhafe, defence counsel, had prayed the court to be liberal in the dispensation of justice, saying Haruna was a first offender.

https://www.thecable.ng/herdsman-jailed-for-2-years-the-first-casualty-of-fayoses-anti-grazing-law?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C3575455808

Lalasticlala
Re: Herdsman Jailed For 2 Years – The First Casualty Of Fayose’s Anti-grazing Law by Nobody: 8:29am On Sep 20, 2016
I love the intrepid nature of this man and I hope other governors will follow suit since Buhari has failed to curtail herdsmen menace.

1 Like

Re: Herdsman Jailed For 2 Years – The First Casualty Of Fayose’s Anti-grazing Law by wecan: 8:33am On Sep 20, 2016
Good one, where are my eastern south south governors. Don't be a slave to Hausa Fulani

1 Like

Re: Herdsman Jailed For 2 Years – The First Casualty Of Fayose’s Anti-grazing Law by Mynd44: 8:36am On Sep 20, 2016

(1)

PHOTOS: Gov. Tambuwal Lays Schoool Foundation At The Only LG Without A School / We Have To Sell Our Coat Of Arms, National flags to fund the 2017 budget / I Am For Sale, Buhari Sell Me To America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.