Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,831 members, 7,831,699 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

5 Strategies For Dealing With Conflict - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 5 Strategies For Dealing With Conflict (416 Views)

Losing My Dad & Dealing With Lazy Relatives: My Experience / I Need Help And Suggestions In Dealing With A Noisy Neighbour / Dealing With Sex In Marriage After Having A Baby? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

5 Strategies For Dealing With Conflict by Mbkite(m): 1:02pm On Sep 21, 2016
5 Strategies for Dealing with Conflict

1) Compete or Fight
This is the classic win/lose situation, where the strength and power of one person wins the conflict.
It has its place, but anyone using it needs to be aware that it will create a loser and if that loser has no outlet for expressing their concerns, then it will lead to bad feeling.

2) Collaboration
This is the ideal outcome: a win/win situation.
However, it requires input of time from those involved to work through the difficulties, and find a way to solve the problem that is agreeable to all.

3) Compromise or Negotiation
This is likely to result in a better result than win/lose, but it’s not quite win/win.
Both parties give up something, in favour of an agreed mid-point solution. It takes less time than collaboration, but is likely to result in less commitment to the outcome.

4) Denial or Avoidance
This is where everyone pretends there is no problem.
It’s helpful if those in conflict need time to ‘cool down’ before any discussion or if the conflict is unimportant, but cannot be used if the conflict won’t just die down. It will create a lose/lose situation, since there will still be bad feeling, but no clearing the air through discussion, and results, in Transactional Analysis terms, in ‘I’m not OK, you’re not OK’.

5) Smoothing Over the Problem
On the surface, harmony is maintained, but underneath, there is still conflict.
It’s similar to the situation above, except that one person is probably OK with this smoothing, while the other remains in conflict, creating a win/lose situation again. It can work where preserving a relationship is more important than dealing with the conflict right now, but is not useful if others feel the need to deal with the situation.

http://www.skillsyouneed.com/ips/conflict-resolution.html

(1) (Reply)

The Alarming Rate Of Teenage Pregnancy In The Rural Area / The Title Of His 1969 Book / *ten (10) Golden Secrets Of Marriage:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.