Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,117 members, 7,818,332 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:59 PM

Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? (985 Views)

TB Joshua Exposes Shrine Where Elderly 'priests' Enslave, Sleep With Virgins / Virgins Are A Burden, The Bible Doesn't Condemn Prostitution- Ghanaian Pastor / Does God Answer The Prayers Of Virgins Speedily? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:29pm On Sep 21, 2016
"Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves" (Numbers 31:17-18).

Why were only the virgins left alive among the Midianites? undecided

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by eph12(m): 5:32pm On Sep 21, 2016
Because
Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by sonofluc1fer: 6:06pm On Sep 21, 2016
Because God likes Virgins. Evne his mother was a virgin.

4 Likes

Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:46pm On Sep 29, 2016
eph12:

Because

We are waiting. undecided
Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:43pm On Oct 13, 2016
OLAADEGBU:
"

Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves
"
(Numbers 31:17-18).

Suggested answer:

https://carm.org/bible-difficulties/genesis-deuteronomy/why-were-only-virgins-left-alive-among-midianites
Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:08pm On Oct 14, 2016
OLAADEGBU:

Suggested answer:

https://carm.org/bible-difficulties/genesis-deuteronomy/why-were-only-virgins-left-alive-among-midianites

The Midianites were descended from Abraham and Keturah (Gen. 25:1). They inhabited the land of Moab and were apparently involved in seducing Israel into going after false gods. Because the Israelites fell into idolatry this way, God told Moses to order the deaths of all who had bowed to the false gods in that land.

"While Israel remained at Shittim, the people began to play the harlot with the daughters of Moab. 2 For they invited the people to the sacrifices of their gods, and the people ate and bowed down to their gods. 3 So Israel joined themselves to Baal of Peor, and the Lord was angry against Israel. 4 And the Lord said to Moses, "Take all the leaders of the people and execute them in broad daylight before the Lord, so that the fierce anger of the Lord may turn away from Israel." 5 So Moses said to the judges of Israel, "Each of you slay his men who have joined themselves to Baal of Peor." (Num. 25:1-5).

God later instructs the Israelites to deal harshly with the Midianites: "Be hostile to the Midianites and strike them; 18 for they have been hostile to you with their tricks, with which they have deceived you in the affair of Peor, and in the affair of Cozbi, the daughter of the leader of Midian, their sister who was slain on the day of the plague because of Peor." (Num. 25:17-18). Later, when Moses meets the returning Israeli army he was angry because he saw the Medianite survivors. "The Midianite women, he said, should have died because they were directly culpable in Israel's sin at Baal of Peor. All the women except the virgins were then sentenced to death along with all the boys. This insured the extermination of the Midianites and thus prevented them from ever again seducing Israel to sin . . . The virgins were spared because they obviously had had no role in the Baal of Peor incident nor could they by themselves perpetuate the Midianite peoples."1

Some may object that the Israelites then married the virgins, the daughters of those whom they had killed; and that this would be a horrible thing for the virgins. Perhaps it was a horrible thing for them. But, their lives were spared. Also, in that culture at that time, warfare and plunder was a necessary evil. The reality of taking women as wives was unfortunate but true.

Why was God so harsh with those in idolatry?
We must understand that God dealt very harshly because it was through the people of Israel that the Messiah would later come. Satan, in his perpetual effort to oppose God, sought to have the people of God fall into false worship and through intermarriage with other people to destroy the messianic line and make not only the promises of God null and void but also destroy means by which the Messiah could be born. If this could be accomplished, then none would have any hope of deliverance from sin. Therefore, we see in the Old Testament God being very harsh and strict according to the Law.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:41pm On Sep 16, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

"Now therefore, kill every male among the little ones, and kill every woman who has known man intimately. But all the girls who have not known man intimately, spare for yourselves" (Numbers 31:17-18).

cool
Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by sonmvayina(m): 4:52pm On Sep 16, 2018
Good try op... But like I always say, the battle is within...
Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:15pm On Sep 16, 2018
sonmvayina:

Good try op... But like I always say, the battle is within...

Can you expantiate?
Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by sonmvayina(m): 5:33pm On Sep 16, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Can you expantiate?

Don't really know where to start from, I don't even want to waste any body's time...

The bible is not a history textbook, it is a spiritual manual.. For spiritual Instructions.. The battle is symbolism.. Woman is the symbol for wisdom in Jewish mythology.. In my place it is the tortoise and in some it is the bee.. (proverbs 3).the type of woman will give you the type of wisdom.. A virgin woman is divine wisdom.. An Olosho is common sense sense or common wisdom.. Hence when Isaiah says in those days 7 women will take hold of 1man.....it means when the time comes people will have perfect wisdom or understanding of the written words..
So the battle you describe is taking place inside of you.. The children simply means get rid of childish thoughts, but the Virgin women means you should retain wisdom for yourself...

Like I said in one of my thread... "the letter killeth"
Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by CAPSLOCKED: 5:54pm On Sep 16, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

THE CHRISTIAN GOD HAS ALWAYS HAD ISSUES WITH WOMEN, MOST ESPECIALLY THOSE WITH THEIR HYMEN ABSENT.

2 Likes

Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:56pm On Sep 16, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

THE CHRISTIAN GOD HAS ALWAYS HAD ISSUES WITH WOMEN, MOST ESPECIALLY THOSE WITH THEIR HYMEN ABSENT.

Do you believe the above biblical story really happened? undecided
Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by CAPSLOCKED: 6:13pm On Sep 16, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Do you believe the above biblical story really happened? undecided

WHAT?
I DIDN'T WRITE ANYTHING IN THE BIBLE. IF THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO CALL THEMSELVES CHRISTIANS WHO BELIEVE IN THE BIBLE, IF THEY CAN ACCEPT THAT SHEDRACH AND HIS FRIENDS WALKED IN A FIRE WITHOUT GETTING BURNT, THAT DANIEL SURVIVED THE LIONS DEN, THAT A TALKING SNAKE DECEIVED A WOMAN WHO WAS MADE FROM THE RIB OF A MAN WHO WAS MADE FROM SAND, THAT JONAH LIVED IN A LIVING FISH, THAT THERE WAS A PREGNANT VIRGIN AND A MAN WHO SPOKE TO THOUSANDS AT ONCE WITHOUT AN AMP AND FED THEM WITH 5 TINY LOAVES OF BREAD, THAT PEOPLE CAME OUT OF GRAVES WHEN ONE MAN DIED ON THE CROSS, THAT MEN ASCENDED INTO THE SKY ON FLYING HORSES, THAT THE WHOLE NILE TURNED TO BLOOD AND THOUSANDS CROSSED A SEA THAT WAS SPLIT INTO TWO... .. THEN THEY HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT THE OTHER VERSES ABOUT RAPING AND KILLING CHILDREN AND WOMEN EXCEPT VIRGINS HAPPENED AS THE WILL OF GOD.
THERE'S NO NEED TO CHERRY-PICK ANYTHING, I'M NOT SURE GOD WOULD LIKE THAT.

IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT THE CHRISTIAN GOD IS A CRUEL, EVIL, HOMOPHOBIC, GENOCIDAL, PATRIARCHAL, ENVIOUS, PROUD, TERRIBLE, BLOOD-THIRSTY MISOGYNIST.. EXACTLY LIKE THE STONE-AGE MEN WHO CREATED HIM.

3 Likes

Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by Nobody: 6:22pm On Sep 16, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

WHAT?
I DIDN'T WRITE ANYTHING IN THE BIBLE. IF THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO CALL THEMSELVES CHRISTIANS WHO BELIEVE IN THE BIBLE, IF THEY CAN ACCEPT THAT SHEDRACH AND HIS FRIENDS WALKED IN A FIRE WITHOUT GETTING BURNT, THAT DANIEL SURVIVED THE LIONS DEN, THAT A TALKING SNAKE DECEIVED A WOMAN WHO WAS MADE FROM THE RIB OF A MAN WHO WAS MADE FROM SAND, THAT JONAH LIVED IN A LIVING FISH, THAT THERE WAS A PREGNANT VIRGIN AND A MAN WHO SPOKE TO THOUSANDS AT ONCE WITHOUT AN AMP AND FED THEM WITH 5 TINY LOAVES OF BREAD, THAT PEOPLE CAME OUT OF GRAVES WHEN ONE MAN DIED ON THE CROSS, THAT MEN ASCENDED INTO THE SKY ON FLYING HORSES, THAT THE WHOLE NILE TURNED TO BLOOD AND THOUSANDS CROSSED A SEA THAT WAS SPLIT INTO TWO... .. THEN THEY HAVE TO ACCEPT THAT THE OTHER VERSES ABOUT RAPING AND KILLING CHILDREN AND WOMEN EXCEPT VIRGINS HAPPENED AS THE WILL OF GOD.

IT'S NOT MY FAULT THAT THE CHRISTIAN GOD IS A CRUEL, EVIL, HOMOPHOBIC, GENOCIDAL, PATRIARCHAL, ENVIOUS, PROUD, TERRIBLE, BLOOD-THIRSTY MISOGYNIST.. EXACTLY LIKE THE STONE-AGE MEN WHO CREATED HIM.
funny as it may seem,you refer to biblical testimonies as some kind of myth and yet you are so bitter towards this supposed fiction.
and you have made God the bad guy completely excluding the devil from the picture exactly what the devil wants. so don't you see that you and the devil are some kind of allies

1 Like

Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:22pm On Sep 16, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

WHAT?

So you believe that the 'Christian God' really exists and that the stories in the Bible about Him are true. cool
Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by CAPSLOCKED: 6:57pm On Sep 16, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

So you believe that the 'Christian God' really exists and that the stories in the Bible about Him are true. cool

SOMETIMES I HAVE TO PLAY ALONG. IT'S FUN THAT WAY.

Chidorx60:

and you have made God the bad guy completely excluding the devil from the picture exactly what the devil wants. so don't you see that you and the devil are some kind of allies

IMAGINE I UNLEASH MY MAD DOG IN A KINDERGARTEN SCHOOL.
NOW THESE LITTLE GUYS CAN'T STAND A CHANCE AGAINST MY GIANT MENTAL DOG. I HAVE EVERY POWER TO RECALL OR TAME MY DOG AND PREVENT IT FROM TORMENTING THE LITTLE KIDS AND CAUSING COLOSSAL DAMAGE BUT I DON'T DO THAT. INSTEAD I EXPECT THEM TO FIND A WAY RESIST AND SURVIVE THE GIANT MAD DOG'S ATTACK.. AND OVER THE YEARS, THE ATTACKS DON'T STOP, AND KIDS ARE GETTING KILLED AND DESTROYED BY THIS BEAST.. BUT I STILL DO NOTHING EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ALL THE POWER TO TERMINATE THE DOG.

A REASONABLE RATIONAL PERSON WILL PUT THE BLAME ON ME INSTEAD OF THE DOG OR CHILDREN.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by Nobody: 7:06pm On Sep 16, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

IMAGINE I UNLEASH MY MAD DOG IN A KINDERGARTEN SCHOOL.
NOW THESE LITTLE GUYS CAN'T STAND A CHANCE AGAINST MY GIANT MENTAL DOG. I HAVE EVERY POWER TO RECALL OR TAME MY DOG AND PREVENT IT FROM TORMENTING THE LITTLE KIDS AND CAUSING COLOSSAL DAMAGE BUT I DON'T DO THAT. INSTEAD I EXPECT THEM TO FIND A WAY RESIST AND SURVIVE THE GIANT MAD DOG'S ATTACK.. AND OVER THE YEARS, THE ATTACKS DON'T STOP, AND KIDS ARE GETTING KILLED AND DESTROYED BY THIS BEAST.. BUT I STILL DO NOTHING EVEN THOUGH I HAVE ALL THE POWER TO TERMINATE THE DOG.

A REASONABLE RATIONAL PERSON WILL PUT THE BLAME ON ME INSTEAD OF THE DOG OR CHILDREN.
I BELIVE you are referring to the devil as the mad dog but in Christianity every true Christian have the power to not only resist but send that mad dog running so you see the real dogs are the ones used by the devil to rick havoc in the world but God still make provisions to those willing to repent
Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:06pm On Sep 16, 2018
CAPSLOCKED:

Why don't you 'play along' with 'fairies,' 'Leprechauns' and the 'spaghetti monster'? undecided

Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by CAPSLOCKED: 7:11pm On Sep 16, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

Why don't you 'play along' with 'fairies,' 'Leprechauns' and the 'spaghetti monster'? undecided

OH I DO THAT. I DON'T ALWAYS TELL CHILDREN THAT FAIRIES ARE FAKE OR THERE'S NO REAL SANTA. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by tintingz(m): 9:31am On Sep 17, 2018
OLAADEGBU:

There's a logic called "Reductio ad absurdum".
Re: Why Were Only The Virgins Left Alive Among The Midianites? by tintingz(m): 10:04am On Sep 17, 2018
If the Bible is not historical but allegorical, then this support the Bible being full of myths.

(1) (Reply)

The Key To Understanding The Spiritual Realms Of Authority / A Test For Nairaland Atheists / Must See!!! The Picture Every Catholic Member Has Been Hiding!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.