Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,995 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:46 AM

"There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? (7438 Views)

Global Study: Atheists In Massive Decline, Only 1.8% Of World Population By 2020 / There Are No Atheists! / Atheists In Lagos And Worldwide, Come And Witness Limb Growing Miracle!!!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 9:05am On Apr 04, 2017
there is no athiest in the foxholes,war jet or even war ships.this argument are true but not absolute.i quite agree since some people will be adamant even to the point of death just to cover their shame and ignorance forever (muhammar gadaffi of libya)i is an example,he was given an amnesty by the nato yet he refused to surrender until he meet his death.

back to understanding. you must agree athiest are human and therefore it is natural they also needs to deal with the same fear all other human face like fear of poverty,sickness,death and so on.

adolf hitler one of the most sadist man on earth once says man can not exist without the belive of God,the soldjer who for three and four days lies under intense bombardment needs a religious group.

the belive of GOD is what exist in human, the rate at wish will belive may vary and sometimes challenges of man may limit or increase the belive.there is trully no atheist in war front but not absolute.
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by akintom(m): 9:15am On Apr 04, 2017
A88C:
there is no athiest in the foxholes,war jet or even war ships.this argument are true but not absolute.i quite agree since some people will be adamant even to the point of death just to cover their shame and ignorance forever (muhammar gadaffi of libya)i is an example,he was given an amnesty by the nato yet he refused to surrender until he meet his death.

back to understanding. you must agree athiest are human and therefore it is natural they also needs to deal with the same fear all other human face like fear of poverty,sickness,death and so on.

adolf hitler one of the most sadist man on earth once says man can not exist without the belive of God,the soldjer who for three and four days lies under intense bombardment needs a religious group.

the belive of GOD is what exist in human, the rate at wish will belive may vary and sometimes challenges of man may limit or increase the belive.there is trully no atheist in war front but not absolute.

You're simply confusing a natural phenomenon called fear (rational), with personal conviction.

Atheist is convinced, based on evidence, that the claim of a personal and interventionist God, is false. So, when an atheist is confronted with fear inducing circumstances, he activates his survival mechanism, based on reality.

Therefore, whether in foxhole or cosy 7 star hotel, atheist is convinced of his thoughts.

1 Like

Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 9:48am On Apr 04, 2017
akintom:

You're simply confusing a natural phenomenon called fear (rational), with personal conviction.

Atheist is convinced, based on evidence, that the claim of a personal and interventionist God, is false. So, when an atheist is confronted with fear inducing circumstances, he activates his survival mechanism, based on reality.

Therefore, whether in foxhole or cosy 7 star hotel, atheist is convinced of his thoughts.
not at all.nature is an essential part of men that we can not excluded.what make you an athiest is largerly base on your knowledge and experience and what make me a beliver is also base on my knowledge and experience.

your state of mind at war front is diffrent from what you will experience at burj khalifa hotel in dubai.it is a two diffrent game bro.

play the game safe. belive in GOD and be safe if GOD trully exist at the end or be safe if there is no god.you will be put to shame if there is GOD at the end.but you will be equal with a beliver if there is no GOD.
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Pastafarian: 9:52am On Apr 04, 2017
Hopefullandlord is banned

A88C for your Tai Solarin example and your "warfront/burj khalifa" , consider the below

Just because you haven't verbally declared Odin as the All-Father doesn't mean that it isn't in the back of your mind. When you face death, be sure to call out to him and his valkyries will come for you.

I’ve always considered the quotation to be rather dubious for theism. Regardless of its truth value, it essentially declares that people overcome with the fear of injury and death are mentally weakened sufficiently to disregard reason and try anything, including an appeal to a deity. It’s not as if these supposed foxhole theists call upon the gods because the gods answer them — they do it out of sheer desperation.
This seems damning of both the gods and the decision-making of desperate people.

It's essentially another form of what I like to call vulture evangelism. Wait until somebody is at bottom and desperate, when reason can be easily set aside, then pounce. It's vile.

Basically, "no atheists in foxholes" is another way of saying "people will believe anything".

Even if some atheists do pray in foxholes, so the fork what? It doesn't prove there's a god. It doesn't even prove that the atheist secretly believed all along. All it proves is that desperate people are desperate, to which I can only say: No sheet, Sherlock.

Deathbed conversions are meaningless. Foxhole conversions are meaningless. People are not themselves when they're being traumatized, or when their brains are in the process of shutting down, or they are being pumped full of drugs. These are the same kinds of events that cause PTSD. They don't reveal a person's true self. They distort, or sometimes even completely destroy it.

When theists praise deathbed/foxhole conversions, they are admitting
that they will accept conversions elicited via torture. They won't actually kidnap you and waterboard you 'til you love Jesus/Allah (anymore) because nobody would accept that conversion as genuine (anymore). But if the torture is coming from an impersonal source like cancer, or an outside source like wartime, hooray! You secretly knew there was a God all along! It's despicable, borders on nonsensical and definitely hypocritical

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by akintom(m): 10:12am On Apr 04, 2017
A88C:
not at all.nature is an essential part of men that we can not excluded.what make you an athiest is largerly base on your knowledge and experience and what make me a beliver is also base on my knowledge and experience.

your state of mind at war front is diffrent from what you will experience at burj khalifa hotel in dubai.it is a two diffrent game bro.

play the game safe. belive in GOD and be safe if GOD trully exist at the end or be safe if there is no god.you will be put to shame if there is GOD at the end.but you will be equal with a beliver if there is no GOD.

You're a baby godist and pascal wager disciple.

Also, it's obvious you do not understand the word "conviction".

Emotional (fear or pleasure) intercept on human minds, don't impact significantly, on conviction that's developed via digestion of complex and factual knowledge.

1 Like

Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 10:22am On Apr 04, 2017
Pastafarian:
Hopefullandlord is banned

A88C for your Tai Solarin example and your "warfront/burj khalifa" , consider the below

Just because you haven't verbally declared Odin as the All-Father doesn't mean that it isn't in the back of your mind. When you face death, be sure to call out to him and his valkyries will come for you.

I’ve always considered the quotation to be rather dubious for theism. Regardless of its truth value, it essentially declares that people overcome with the fear of injury and death are mentally weakened sufficiently to disregard reason and try anything, including an appeal to a deity. It’s not as if these supposed foxhole theists call upon the gods because the gods answer them — they do it out of sheer desperation.
This seems damning of both the gods and the decision-making of desperate people.

It's essentially another form of what I like to call vulture evangelism. Wait until somebody is at bottom and desperate, when reason can be easily set aside, then pounce. It's vile.

Basically, "no atheists in foxholes" is another way of saying "people will believe anything".

Even if some atheists do pray in foxholes, so the fork what? It doesn't prove there's a god. It doesn't even prove that the atheist secretly believed all along. All it proves is that desperate people are desperate, to which I can only say: No sheet, Sherlock.

Deathbed conversions are meaningless. Foxhole conversions are meaningless. People are not themselves when they're being traumatized, or when their brains are in the process of shutting down, or they are being pumped full of drugs. These are the same kinds of events that cause PTSD. They don't reveal a person's true self. They distort, or sometimes even completely destroy it.

When theists praise deathbed/foxhole conversions, they are admitting
that they will accept conversions elicited via torture. They won't actually kidnap you and waterboard you 'til you love Jesus/Allah (anymore) because nobody would accept that conversion as genuine (anymore). But if the torture is coming from an impersonal source like cancer, or an outside source like wartime, hooray! You secretly knew there was a God all along! It's despicable, borders on nonsensical and definitely hypocritical
you have being banned, u will not be able to read my further post.but if otherwise try to proof the non existense of GOD and let see if you are not living in an ignorance world

the athiest who later claim the existence of GOD at the point of death or difficulty are lucky not to die of ignorance
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 04, 2017
akintom:

You're a baby godist and pascal wager disciple.

Also, it's obvious you do not understand the word "conviction".

Emotional (fear or pleasure) intercept on human minds, don't impact significantly, on conviction that's developed via digestion of complex and factual knowledge.
call it whatever you like.I do not belong to any one.i belong to everlasting living GOD.

factual knowledge should be base on fact and well tailored logic and not just ur belive.
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by akintom(m): 10:45am On Apr 04, 2017
A88C:
call it whatever you like.I do not belong to any one.i belong to everlasting living GOD.

factual knowledge should be base on fact and well tailored logic and not just ur belive.

How logical is your belief in "everlasting living God"?
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 11:00am On Apr 04, 2017
akintom:

How logical is your belief in "everlasting living God"?

you got to measure it for youself.you belive there is no GOD right then proof it .for instance if i tell you,this is not a religious thread i should be able to give what religious thread contain.i challenge you to define GOD
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by akintom(m): 11:34am On Apr 04, 2017
A88C:
you got to measure it for youself.you belive there is no GOD right then proof it .for instance if i tell you,this is not a religious thread i should be able to give what religious thread contain.i challenge you to define GOD

You're the one who just claimed to be romancing an "everlasting living God". The burden to tell me how logical that is, is perfectly on you.

Since you don't know what logic means, i will help your difficulty.

Assuming your God is living, it can't be everlasting.

Because nothing is everlasting, that's at the same time living.

When i said that you're a baby godist, you arrogantly and ignorantly refuse to to say present sir.
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 11:41am On Apr 04, 2017
akintom:

You're the one who just claimed to be romancing an "everlasting living God". The burden to tell me how logical that is, is perfectly on you.

Since you don't know what logic means, i will help your difficulty.

If your God is living, it can't be everlasting. Because nothing is everlasting that's at the same time living.

When i said that you're a baby godist, you arrogantly and ignorantly refuse to to say present sir.
well since you could not take the challenge i assume your presentation could not hold water. you said there is nothing everlasting and i said you lie, i provide example. my God is everlasting and still living. the challenge still hold define who is GOD?
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Pastafarian: 11:43am On Apr 04, 2017
A88C:
you have being banned, u will not be able to read my further post.but if otherwise try to proof the non existense of GOD and let see if you are not living in an ignorance world

the athiest who later claim the existence of GOD at the point of death or difficulty are lucky not to die of ignorance

define that god
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 11:49am On Apr 04, 2017
Pastafarian:

define that god
i throw you a challenge,you throw it back to me.it seems illogical to me.if you wanted to know what the true meaning of GOD then define what you understand by GOD and i shall tell you ,u are wrong.
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by akintom(m): 11:56am On Apr 04, 2017
A88C:
well since you could not take the challenge i assume your presentation could not hold water. you said there is nothing everlasting and i said you lie, i provide example. my God is everlasting and still living. the challenge still hold define who is GOD?

I commit your mind into the hands of FSM, who's able to redirect your path to sound reasoning, from the god delusion dark tunnel.
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 12:07pm On Apr 04, 2017
akintom:

I commit your mind into the hands of FSM, who's able to redirect your path to sound reasoning, from the god delusion dark tunnel.
i know this is where you will end it.as a famous scientist once say(dr bernald brown)a little study of science will blindfold your understanding to belive there is no god but a deeper study of science will convince you trully that there is an everlasting GOD. the more you begin to think out of the box the more you may likely find enlightment .
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Pastafarian: 12:12pm On Apr 04, 2017
A88C:
i throw you a challenge,you throw it back to me.it seems illogical to me.if you wanted to know what the true meaning of GOD then define what you understand by GOD and i shall tell you ,u are wrong.

no bro, that's not how logic works my good Sir

let's say I ask you if hsgfhsjsgsdbbdgsg exists, its only logical for you to ask me what "hsgfhsjsgsdbbdgsg" means before answering, that's logic and nothing is being thrown back at you

so you still need to define "god"
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 1:35pm On Apr 04, 2017
Pastafarian:

no bro, that's not how logic works my good Sir

let's say I ask you if hsgfhsjsgsdbbdgsg exists, its only logical for you to ask me what "hsgfhsjsgsdbbdgsg" means before answering, that's logic and nothing is being thrown back at you

so you still need to define "god"
if you have being following my post then you will realsed i posted a challenge to one akin or so.that he should define what GOD mean.so far you wanted to defend him ,you can take the challenge up
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Pastafarian: 1:41pm On Apr 04, 2017
A88C:
if you have being following my post then you will realsed i posted a challenge to one akin or so.that he should define what GOD mean.so far you wanted to defend him ,you can take the challenge up

what goes on between both of you has next to no effect on the discussion between me and you

you're yet to define god and that definition is needed for me to answer your question
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 1:45pm On Apr 04, 2017
Pastafarian:

what goes on between both of you has next to no effect on the discussion between me and you

you're yet to define god and that definition is needed for me to answer your question
i dont have a problem to whom is GOD.pls if you do let me know then we can start all over.i am a beliver
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Pastafarian: 1:49pm On Apr 04, 2017
A88C:
i dont have a problem to whom is GOD.pls if you do let me know then we can start all over.i am a beliver

still no definition
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Pastafarian: 2:01pm On Apr 04, 2017
addition

"There are no atheists in foxholes.”

I'd argue the opposite ... there are no True Believers™ in foxholes. If you believe that nothing happens without God's permission ("not a sparrow falls"), then nothing can cause you to die unless God wills it and, therefore, a True Believer™ could stand out in the open with confidence that s/he was safe as could be. On the other side, if God has decided it's your time to die, not the deepest bunker can save your life. The very act of hiding in a foxhole denies God's control of everything that happens.

1 Like

Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Apr 04, 2017
Pastafarian:

still no definition
for me to continue with you.i have to know where you stand.do you a problem with GOD or not .
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Pastafarian: 2:08pm On Apr 04, 2017
A88C:
for me to continue with you.i have to know where you stand.do you a problem with GOD or not .
Mr A88C this your question still has that word in it, the word we need a definition for; I hope you're understanding me
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Seun(m): 2:12pm On Apr 04, 2017
Atheists don't turn to God when they are in mortal trouble. They tend to say things like "shit", "Bleep", "damn it", "we are so screwed".
They might also soil their pants. However, in such dire situations, something as ineffective as prayer would scarcely cross their minds.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 2:19pm On Apr 04, 2017
Pastafarian:
addition

"There are no atheists in foxholes.”

I'd argue the opposite ... there are no True Believers™ in foxholes. If you believe that nothing happens without God's permission ("not a sparrow falls"wink, then nothing can cause you to die unless God wills it and, therefore, a True Believer™ could stand out in the open with confidence that s/he was safe as could be. On the other side, if God has decided it's your time to die, not the deepest bunker can save your life. The very act of hiding in a foxhole denies God's control of everything that happens.
why you should be careful even if you are safe. it is a like a brillant performing student which has being acclaimed as a candidate who might come first in fort h coming examination,and this brillant,student,decide not to take his education serious but rather belive in what has been said about him.this kind of student will likely failed the exam becuse his classmate will take his lack of seriousness against him and that does not mean does who praised him earlier are wrong but the student failed to be careful even when he is safe
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 2:24pm On Apr 04, 2017
Seun:
Atheists don't turn to God when they are in mortal trouble. They tend to say things like "shit", "Bleep", "damn it", "we are so screwed". They might also soil their pants. In such dire situations, something as useless as prayer would scarcely cross their minds.
what is prayer.prayer is just a wish. and anybody can wish regardless of ur belive or not

in the court of law for instance an accuse may pray to the lord of the court (judge)to grant him wishes and is left for the lord to obey or not.therefore arthiest pray
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Pastafarian: 2:47pm On Apr 04, 2017
A88C:
what is prayer.prayer is just a wish. and anybody can wish regardless of ur belive or not

in the court of law for instance an accuse may pray to the lord of the court (judge)to grant him wishes and is left for the lord to obey or not.therefore arthiest pray

this is called "persuasive definition" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persuasive_definition

you know fully well what Seun means by "Prayer"
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 2:58pm On Apr 04, 2017
Pastafarian:

this is called "persuasive definition" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persuasive_definition

you know fully well what Seun means by "Prayer"
why should you reference wikipedia.i taught you wanted to make point.check your oxford dictionary that will be better
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Pastafarian: 3:02pm On Apr 04, 2017
A88C:
why should you reference wikipedia.i taught you wanted to make point.check your oxford dictionary that will be better
like I said, you know fully well what he means by "prayer"
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by Nobody: 3:23pm On Apr 04, 2017
Pastafarian:

like I said, you know fully well what he means by "prayer"
i just give you a simple meaning.it is simply a wish and everybody do regardless of ur belive
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by updatemachine: 3:44pm On Apr 04, 2017
Atheism... Atheism shit is nothing more than another wide spread crap...

If you stay in KWARA here and you are a real atheist
.. State your local govt and I will see if I can make it there... If not.. You will have to come over here in iponri...

Lemme show you some stuff... Though Islam is against sorcery... I will show you worthwhile stuff.. Arguing with you here is much like dropping tears on a house on fire to quench it...

Lemme hit your chest with my ring, you will loose total consciousness for a specified amount of time... I will use it on someone... If you would like.. I will use it on you and video you live while you go into coma until I free you...even you seun leave your house and come...
If you are interested... Send me pm.. I will give you contact details...

I dnt have time to debate you on the internet.. Just come here to kwara if you can...
Re: "There Are No Atheists In Foxholes" How True Is That? by CatfishBilly: 3:51pm On Apr 04, 2017
updatemachine:
Atheism... Atheism shit is nothing more than another wide spread crap...

If you stay in KWARA here and you are a real atheist
.. State your local govt and I will see if I can make it there... If not.. You will have to come over here in iponri...

Lemme show you some stuff... Though Islam is against sorcery... I will show you worthwhile stuff.. Arguing with you here is much like dropping tears on a house on fire to quench it...

Lemme hit your chest with my ring, you will loose total consciousness for a specified amount of time... I will use it on someone... If you would like.. I will use it on you and video you live while you go into coma until I free you...even you seun leave your house and come...
If you are interested... Send me pm.. I will give you contact details...

I dnt have time to debate you on the internet.. Just come here to kwara if you can...
Guy see all these money, go win them, then we'll talk.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_prizes_for_evidence_of_the_paranormal

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

As A Christian, How Do You Love God? / Breaking!!! Oyakhilome’s Brother, Rev. Ken Impregnates South African Member / The Quranic Verse That Muslims Used To Hide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.