Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,752 members, 7,817,082 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

On The Sale Of National Assets - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On The Sale Of National Assets (439 Views)

Sale Of National Assets Needed To Fund 2016 Budget – FG / Recession: 3 Nigerian National Assets Buhari Must Not Sell- RMAFC / Governors Endorse Sale Of National Assets Over Recession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

On The Sale Of National Assets by Principe67(m): 3:00pm On Sep 23, 2016
Though I'm not your regular political or situations commentator but when 'water don pass garri, even new born baby go hala' (forgive my whack proverb).
Back to the matter, for some days now, the majority of the Nigeria ruling class vis-à-vis the high and mighty have been divided on the issue of selling or not selling the nation's assets (Hmnnn what is my own). According to my brothers at 'wiki', An asset is an item of property owned by a person (in this case, a nation) or company regarded as having value and available to meet debt commitments or legacies.
Judging by this definition, if we sell all these assets as being clamored by a group of people (who I think have ulterior motives) chief among them is Uncle Dangote;
1. What do we use as collateral to collect loans when we finish squandering the money from the sale (our usual custom).
2. They said 'we can diversify the economy with the money and empower the citizens (that sounds like a nursery rhyme, we have heard it before).
3. Remember from the definition, these assets have value, this means the owner automatically have value. On selling them we don't just give away the assets we also give away our national value for a piece of bread (did I hear someone say Esau?).
Worthy of note is the fact that those people clamoring for the sale are the same set of persons that have been milking this nation in the times of plenty and they don't intend to stop now that plenty is over instead they are trying to devise another means to further impoverish the already impoverished masses. The assets that have been sold in time past NITEL, NIGERIAN AIRWAYS, NEPA, just to mention but a few, what good has come out of it? If because I'm hungry I sell my ancestral home, posterity will curse me when they have no roof over their heads.
I may not be an economist (Mr President is not one either) and I may not know all the terminologies to quote but one thing I know for sure that this is a step in the wrong direction. Finally before I drop my pen (I'm conserving my ink, you know we're in a recession ooo!) 'shebi' it is called "National assets" that means all Nigerians should have a say whether it should be sold or not, something like a memorandum, but amazingly no one is saying anything to that effect. Secondly, why is it that anytime FG want to sell something, that's when we hear Dangote's voice, is his idea in our own interest or the interest of his Forbes rating seeing that his fortune is on a downward slide. Let's us tread with caution, so we don't sing the songs of lamentations.
Re: On The Sale Of National Assets by Standing5(m): 3:11pm On Sep 23, 2016
God bless you.
People clamouring for the sales of our national assets are same people who bought power plants and couldn't improve power even at double tarrif. The other productive assets is what they now after and when they get it gas of N3,200 per cylinder will be double (N6,400) its price because our weak govt can't regulate their profits.
I suggest the govt seats up in managing the assets like other nations do, and borrows against the profit these assets are generating, then pay back the debt gradually. After repayment of debt I can guaranty you the assets will still be alive and generating huge profits.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: On The Sale Of National Assets by Standing5(m): 3:13pm On Sep 23, 2016
Double post.
Re: On The Sale Of National Assets by onlyson16(m): 3:35pm On Sep 23, 2016
What do expected from chekwe dog(buwari-dulard-gworochewer ) well afterall nigeria is being nothernalize dangote should go on buy nigeria

(1) (Reply)

In Photos: Nigeria At 56 / [BREAKING] Recession: National Assembly Invites Buhari / World News Briefs — October 12, 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.