Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,567 members, 7,861,700 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 05:20 PM

The Inauspicious - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Inauspicious (762 Views)

Fear Of Spiders, A Stolen Ring And An Inauspicious Stranger. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Inauspicious by Venovictory(f): 5:09pm On Sep 23, 2016
This is a story of Ray Abraham who met Amanda Daniel through his friend but with awkward reasons. Amanda found out about his motive and leaves. They came back together but not without hurdles and trials of life
Will they overcome those trials or will it overwhelm them?

This story is written by me. Any part of it must not be copied or published without my consent.

This is my first story ever. Critics, comments and corrections are highly welcomed. Updates would be twice every week; Sundays and wednesdays by God's grace
Re: The Inauspicious by Venovictory(f): 10:40am On Sep 25, 2016
Episode 1

/at Raymond's apartment/

Ray and his friends (Ben and Darlington sat in the living room of his 2-bedroom flat apartment which he shares with his older brother; Emmanuel.

Ray and Darlington were friends from secondary school days and only became friends with Ben when they got into the university since they were room-mates. Unlike Ray and Darlington who were soft-spoken and gentlemenly, Ben was a complete womanizer. And since he was from a wealthy family, he had no problem with getting girls except for a few one's which according to him were repellants, money repellants he would say.

Ben: you know what?

Darlington: one of your numerous girlfriends is pregnant. (the trio laughed)

Ben: nah, i'm always careful. I was just wondering how Ray did it. (Ray raised a brow)
As in how you were able to get Amanda to fall head over hills in love with you when i've always wanted to get her laid to no avail. (Ray chuckled)

Darlington: well, maybe unlike you, she saw that Ray is a gentleman (Ben glared at him playfully) what she doesn't know is that he is a badoskid (they laughed)

Ben: since you were able to accomplish your mission (he brought out his wallet from the pocket of his jean trouser, counted ten thousand naira and dropped it on the round glass table) that is the money for the bet we had
(Ray smiled as he watched Darlington do same thing)

After a brief moment of silence, Ray who wanted to say something was cut short by the opening of the door. With the force with which it opened, one would think the iron door would leave it's frame.

Ray: hey beautiful (he said standing up as he saw Amanda step into the house.)

Amanda stopped him from approaching by raising up her hand. Ben and Darlington sensing the tension, stood up and left.

Ray: what is wrong love?why are your eyes swollen? Have you been crying?

Amanda stared at him, glanced at the money on the table then back to him.

Amanda: is that what i mean to you. Am i just some object of bet? Everything you said and made me believe were all lies (she cried)

Ray: baby, i can ex....... (she cuts him off)

Amanda: ofcourse you can explain. Why don't you feed me with more of your lies. God! How stupid i was to have believed you. (Ray tried to hold her but she slapped his hands off and backed away from him) don't you dare touch me. Thank you very much for taking me for a fool.

She ran out of the house into her car and out of compound ignoring Ray who was calling and running after her.

Ray came back inside after he tried to stop her but couldn't. He sat in his previously vacated seat and buried his head in his palm.

As he sat there, he remembered how he and his friends had seen Amanda in a resturant. How Ben had told them how he had tried to woo her and how they had ended up betting on getting her. He had kept stalking her until she finally yielded. He remembered the moments they've spent together for the past 6 months and how those moments have been shattered because of some stupid bet, he cursed himself.

Amanda drove to her friends place because she didn't want to have an interogation section with her sister, questions she knew she didn't have answers to. Laura; her friend understood her better and would always give her space when she needed one.
Re: The Inauspicious by Venovictory(f): 8:58pm On Sep 27, 2016
episode 2

Ray stopped at the now very familiar big black. He knocked and a young man in his mid-twenties opened it. He let him in after exchanging pleasantries with him.

The compound was a very spacious one. It had flowers at both sides of it. There were also flowers around the house all neatly trimmed into different shapes and sizes. There was what looked like a mini bush bar by the left and a car park by the right. The house was a touch of apple green and off-white.
Ray walked slowly into the compound as though recording the time for each step taken. His heart was beating loudly as if it was being hit by a drumstick or was it a heartstick. And he could vouch that someone 100feets away could hear it.

He got to the front door and stood too nervous and scared to knock. He knew she was bound to found out but he had wanted to be the one to tell her. He wished he had told her earlier but it was too late to cry when the head is off. As he raised his hands to knock, the door swung open to reveal Mabel.

Mabel is Amanda's older sister, older with a year and one could easily mistake them for twins. Apart from the fact that they had same likes, they looked almost alike; same oval face, skin colour, height and all.

Mabel: hi Ray

Ray: hey. Is Amanda in?

Mabel: (confused look) no she is not. She told me she was going over to your place.

Ray glanced at the car park just to be sure she wasn't lying to him. Fear gripped him when he realized her car wasn't there. His heart missing a thousand beats.

If she is not here, where could she possibly be? He thought to himself.

Amanda drove into the compound and Ray sighed in relief. He had been worried sick that he couldn't think straight. Mabel had not helped matters with her unending questions. All Ray could think of was how he would explain things to Amanda. He prayed and hoped silently that she would listen and understand. He didn't want to loose her. His life would be incomplete without her.

Amanda cursed under her breath as she saw Ray. She had left Laura's place the moment her mother back. Reasons because like her mother, Laura's mom was a very observant specie of human being. She left to avoid the interogation section.

Now i'm at home, the architect of my problem is here looking handsome. She thought.

Handsome? She scoffed

she parked and stepped down from her almond green camry; a graduation gift from her father. She was cladded in an orange chiffon knee-length fitted gown which complimented her shape wondrously. She was wearing a lagoon blue sandals and a blue gucci purse to match.
Her face was as calm as a dove but her heart was in disarray. Ray walked closer and knelt, one knee to the ground.

For a moment, her heart was softened on seeing Ray kneel before her. The man who had taught her heart how to love, the man whom she had loved more than life itself and her eyes watered. All her heart wanted to do was to hold him up, kiss him, to forgive him. But when she remembered all she had heard, the pity she felt was replaced with hatred. Her head and mind won the battle of supremacy against her heart which had been going on in her being.

Blinking back furiously the tears in her eyes, she stared with so much disgust at his kneeling figure. Her eyes filled with hatred and anger.
Re: The Inauspicious by Venovictory(f): 2:40pm On Oct 02, 2016
Episode 3

*** 6pm, same day***

Mabel: welcome mum (she took her bag from her)

Mrs Daniel: thank you dear (she sat in one of the apple green sofa and removed her shoes)

Mrs Sonia Daniel; the wife of Mr Oro Daniel and mother of 4; Joel, Jesse, Mabel and Amanda. She was a beautiful, tall, slim, light-complexioned woman. And though she was 52years, she looked like she was in her early forties.

Mabel: how was the convention mum?

Mrs Daniel: it was great dear. You remember Pastor Umukoro, the National head of evangelism. He was the one who preached all through and it was superb.
(Mabel smiled. She was gone for the National women's convention which took place in Delta State.)
where is your sister?
I saw her car outside or did she leave without it?

Mabel: she is in. I think she is sleeping.

After the incident with Ray more than two hours ago, Amanda had locked herself in and nothing she had said to cajole her to come out or open up to her had worked out. So she left her alone to brood till she was ready to come out.
Mrs Daniel stood and headed upstairs, her shoe in one hand. Mabel followed suit.

Mrs Daniel: i hope you've prepared dinner cause i'm farmished (Mabel laughed)

Mabel: didn't you people eat at the church?

Mrs Daniel: yes we did. We've actually closed since 12:30pm but all women leaders were asked to wait (Mabel nodded)
Amanda: ok mum. I'll serve dinner. Just take your bath and come downstairs.

Mrs Daniel: alright i'll just soak myself in a warm bath. I really need it. (Mabel chuckled)

Dinner was quiet. Amanda came down for dinner though she didn't eat much. Well, she didn't have an appetite for food. It was just the three of them since her father and older brother had travelled for a business meeting and Jesse; the other brother was in California doing his masters degree programme.
As she headed upstairs to her room, she was grateful that her mother had not noticed. Though she had added concealer to her swollen eye bags before heading downstairs, she was sure that on a normal day when her mother wasn't so tired, it would have done nothing to really hide her swollen face.

Ray laid on his bed restlessly. He had tried calling Amanda but she had ignored all his calls and even turned off her phone. He wished he could turn back the hands of time so that he would not agree to the bet but that was medicine after death.

He turned to face the door as he heard it creak open. Emmanuel stepped into the room, slowly pulled closer the plastic chair to the bed and sat. Ray sat up to face his brother.

Emmanuel: what is it Raymond? I noticed that you've been so dull since i came. You were even nibbling at your food during dinner. You can always talk to me.
( Ray sighed)

after inhaling and exhaling deeply, he told him everything not leaving anything unsaid.

Ray: but i love her, i do. Yes! I agree i had approached her because of the bet but i fell in love with her during that course and i don't want to loose her.

Emmanuel sighed. He stared at his brother and smiled amusingly. He was amused by the fact that his brother was down because of a girl when it had always been the other way round. There had even been a time when the girl had boldly come to him to help her talk Ray into dating her. His brother wasn't a player but for the fact that he was handsome, charming and caring had made him the girls choice.

Emmanuel: you can sort yourself out kid bro. You really don't need my help (he stood up and left the room)

Ray sighed, first in relief and then in frustration. Relief because he had thought he was going to get scolded which didn't happen. Frustration because seriously he didn't know how to go about Amanda's case.
He laid back down determined to get her back and that means if he had to beg till kingdom come. He wasn't going to give up so easily.
Re: The Inauspicious by Venovictory(f): 10:37am On Oct 07, 2016
Episode 4

One week later

Frustration was nothing compared to what Raymond felt as he sat in his office at his workplace. His calls and messages had all come back to him unreplied. He had lost concentration in work, jumping at his phone anytime it rang and cursing whenever he sees that it's a message from service providers.
He had gone to her place but was told they had travelled out of town. He had also tried calling Mabel and Laura but their lines were forever not reachable.

Amanda sat on one of the plastic chairs and rubbed her forehead. She was tired, weak and dizzy altogether. They hadn't rest much since they came to Akure for the traditional wedding ceremony of Laura's cousin sister four days ago. They were virtually the ones supervising everything to make sure it was in order and that nothing would go wrong.
She had ignored Raymonds calls and messages for almost a week now and she didn't know how long she was going to keep up that act. A part of her wanted him back but another didn't. It was a difficult puzzle to solve, a hard riddle to answer. She was at a state of dilemma.

She still loved him but she was hurt.

Mrs Daniel stared intently at her youngest child. She had noticed some changes in her for a few days now. Her mood was unusually dull, she hardly came out of her room and only did when she was called upon. She didn't speak or eat much either. She didn't fail to notice also the unendines headaches, dizziness and weakness and then the added weight even when she hadn't been eating properly.
As she watched her rub her temple back and forth, she hoped her instincts were wrong. It would be a disgrace to her especially being the National women leader who had always preached against such.

Oh God! Let it not be. She prayed inwardly.

Mabel got to where Amanda was sitted and squatted before her. Amanda stared at her with an askew look.

Mabel: Ray has been calling ( Amanda was quiet) don't you think it's high time you both talked? ( Amanda stared at her but said nothing) come
(Mabel beckoned on her, half-leading and half-dragging her into the room they both shared.)

Amanda: what? ( she asked tiredly, a frown on her face as she sat on the bed. Mabel squatted before her again)

Mabel: mum has been asking questions and not long ago, i saw her watching you.

Amanda: what sort of questions and why would she be watching me?

Mabel: the questions she had been asking or why she has been watching you boils down to one thing. Mum thinks you are pregnant. ( Amanda gasped in shock)

Amanda: what about you? What do you think? (she stammered)

Mabel: i don't know. I should be asking you.

Amanda: i would have to do a home test and then i - -i- - i would have to call Ray and then . . . . . (the rest of her words were cut short by her tears. Mabel stood up and hugged her) Mum would be so disappointed. How could i be so careless? (she said admist sobs)

Mabel: it is okay. We're not even sure it is going to be positive. Don't worry, everything will be fine.

Raymond was sitted in a resturant. He kept glancing at the door as if he was expecting it to burst open any moment. His wrist-watch was not left out of his intent stare.
His heart had lept with so much joy when Amanda had called him in the morning requesting to meet with him. He didn't fail to notice her voice; like she had been crying for long. He hurriedly dressed up and went to the agreed resturant.
But it had been about an hour now since the agreed time and Amanda had not showed up. Her line was also not reachable. He was worried, angry and hurt altogether.

If Mohammed would not go to the mountain, the mountain would have to go to Mohammed. He thought to himself.

He glanced at his wrist-watch one last time. It read 4:33pm. He stood up and left the resturant. His destination; Amanda's house.

The ride to Amanda's house was hell for him. He kept on dialling Amanda's numbber frantically but it was still not reachable and then it was switched off the next moment. Mabel's number was also switched off.

Why would she call to meet me and not show up? He asked himself.

He exhaled deeply as the cab pulled up in front of the gate. His heart raced as he approached the gate like it did a week back. The only difference this time was that he had a wierd feeling he couldn't decipher. A familiar but eerie feeling overwhelmed him.
Re: The Inauspicious by Venovictory(f): 9:11pm On Oct 10, 2016
Episode 5

***3 years later***

Ray opened the door to his newly rented apartment in Warri and a frown creased his handsome face. Standing there was Katherine; his boss.

Katherine: aren't you gonna let me in? (she said with a smile on her heavily made up face)

Ray: sure (he said relunctantly making way for her to walk in)

she cat-walked into the living room, her heels waging war with the tiled floor. Without waiting to be told, she sat on one of the couches facing the 54-inches plasma TV that hung on the wall and crossed her legs haughtily. Ray stood by the closed door and stared at her disgustfully, not making an effort to make her comfortable nor masking his dislike for her.

Katherine: can't you atleast be a gentleman towards me for once? (her voice was laced with hurt)

Ray suddenly felt bad but he couldn't help it. It wasn't as if she wasn't beautiful, she was even more prettier than Amanda (or it was her fair skin that made him think that way) but he hated her haughtiness and unlady-like characters. He couldn't dream of replacing Amanda atleast not just yet and especially not with a haughty, selfish, moralless and spoilt rich brat like Katherine. Never!

Ray realized he had lost Amanda, not to death but to the foolish bet when the gateman had opened up to him that Amanda had travelled out of the country. He was shattered and he knew he had tried everything he could to explain himself but he couldn't deny the fact that he felt empty, so empty like a part of him had been cut off.
There were times he sat alone and he would wish that she would call, just once but it never happened. There were times he would be so excited seeing a strange number but his excitement never lasted a second. He felt as if he was loosing his sanity.

Luckily for him, he had gotten a job in a construction company in Warri 8 months later. There was this kind of indescribable joy he felt during that period. There was no other thing he could pin-point to being the reason for his happiness since he was so sure it wasn't the unexpected employment that caused it. Yes! Waking up every morning was enough to be happy but still it was simply inexplainable.

Katherine had always tried to get his attention which he hardly noticed at first. She was bossy for the first few weeks, then she became caring all of a sudden. He understood the signs but ignored them.

For the first time since she stepped into the house, he noticed her scantily covered thighs as he served her a drink. He smiled and shook his head. Katherine took note and smiled also, her head strategizing plans on how to get more of his attention. She shifted slightly deliberately making her gown raise also.

Ray: so why are you here? (he asked sitting down and ignoring her seductive posure)

Katherine: i just came to see you or is there anything wrong in visiting and employee and friend?

Friend ke. Ray thought and as if reading his mind, she said

Katherine: yeah! Aren't we friends?

Ray said nothing and directed his gaze to the show on the TV.

Katherine walked seductively and stood in front of him. Ray smiled inwardly. He looked from her spotless thighs to her almost revealing cleavages to her face and smirked. Rising slowly and not taking his eyes off her face which held a smile which seemed almost automatic. With the most romantic smile he could produce, he said

Ray: i think you should leave

Katherine's smile disappeared almost immediately as if it was never there in the first place. She glared at his face with both a hurt and angry expression for what seemed like forever, hissed, picked her bag and stormed out of the house angrily. Ray could swear the door would need repair in his hinges with the way she locked it.
He sat back down and stretched lazily feeling unremorseful for what he did. He knew he overdid it but he didn't care.

Like he had cared about anything for the past three years.
Re: The Inauspicious by Venovictory(f): 7:43pm On Oct 22, 2016
Episode 6

Mabel drove into the airport and parked in the parking lot. She stepped down from the car, her stomach protruding as though it was going to burst open through the tank top she wore. She glanced at her wrist-watch before leaning her aching back on the car.

Her face brightened up with a smile as she saw a lady walk out through the exit door of the airport. The lady wore white jacket over a yellow sundress. Her legs held a white slithouttes heel. Her hair was let loose to dance to the direction of the wind that blew slightly. Her left hand held unto a box while her right hand held unto a child of about 3-years of age who was cladded in a white gown and a while sandals. Her hair was packed in a pony-tail.

One would not need a sooth-sayer to tell there was a mother-daughter relationship between them but you would surely need a beauty reader machine to tell who was more beautiful between mother and child. She removed her sunglasses to reveal her beautiful hazel eyes, her lips curled in a smile as she stopped in front of Mabel.

Did you miss me? She said

The drive home was noisy with Mabels unending chatter. Amanda couldn't tell if it was what she had grown to become or it was one of the pregnancy syndrome but all she was sure of was that Mabel had become quite a talkative. She talked about everything but nothing at all. Sometimes loudly and other times in whispers as if she didn't want others to hear when it was obvious that it was just the three of them in the car.

Amanda: do you always talk this much or it is the fact that you are excited seeing me again? (she had an amused look on her face. Mabel frowned)

Mabel: do i really talk too much? I don't (she answered her own question. Amanda laughed) mum said so, dad said so, brother joel and Jesse said same thing, even Michael. Am i really talking too much these days? (her frown was still intact. She turned to see why Amanda wasn't replying and noticed she was smiling sheepishly at her) what? (Amanda laughed)

Amanda: just drive. We will talk when we get home okay
( Mabel rolled her eyes and pouted her lips. Amanda chuckled)

The rest of the drive home was in silence with both sisters to their own thoughts. While Mabel thought of a way to control her incessant chatter, Amanda thought of Ray. There had not been a day that passed by without her thinking of him. He was one of the reasons why she had come back. She had felt guilty all these years for keeping his child away from him. She knew he wronged her but keeping his child away wasn't right either.

She had left on her father's order the day she had planned on telling Ray about the pregnancy. Her father was angry, her mother was disappointed, so were Joel and Jesse. She was 22years then and an adult too but she knew she was wrong. She was sure that was the last thing her parents wanted from her. The first two months in California was nothing short of hell for her. Her father had made Jesse a watchdog over her, not letting her make any calls and when she did, Jesse made sure it wasn't Raymond or anyone related to him. Surely she had always known her father to be a no-nonsense man but for the first time since age 12, Amanda experienced her father's anger that day and even the days after that.

No matter how much she tried to close her heart to the fact, there was no denial that a greater part of her still wanted to be with him. She couldn't forget him either. How could she possibly forget him when his replica lived with her. Staring at those deep blue eyes of her daughter always left memories of Ray in her innermost mind, stamping images of him which are hard to erase.

To be cont.d
Re: The Inauspicious by Venovictory(f): 12:16pm On Nov 04, 2016
Episode 7

Her thoughts were interupted by the car horn. She stared at the gate as it slid open and smiled. She loved the feeling she got as they drove into the compound. She was wowed by what she saw. When Mabel had told her their father did some renovations, she had thought it was re-painting and the likes of it but what her eyes were seeing was the complete opposite. Transformation was a better word. A good one too. She was simply speechless as she stared at the new Daniel's family house. Mouth agape.

Mabel: you better close your mouth before a fly enters into it ( Mabel said laughing. Amanda stepped down fully from the car before helping Jovita; her daughter down.)

Jovita: mummy! Is this our house? (she asked in her babyish voice. Amanda smiled at her)

Amanda: Yes baby. It's our house.

Amanda laid in her room later in the night with Jovita close to her snoring away quietly. She fibbled with her phone, her face to the ceiling. She typed a number and dialed it, it rang. She had not expected it to ring and when she heard the voice of the one who had kept her awake and restless most nights, she couldn't bring herself to reply. She cut the call as tears of guilt welled up in her eyes. She turned her face down and let them soak the pillow.

She didn't want to consider the possibility of Ray being with someone else. She would not be able to bear seeing Ray with another woman. It would tear her apart. Her heart and her whole being.
She cried herself to sleep that night.

Ray stared at his phone and wondered why someone would call and not say anything. Very strange!
His thoughts drifted to Amanda and he sighed. He wondered if there would be a time when he would meet or see or even hear her voice again. He doubted if such a day would come and even if it did, he hoped she wasn't taken. The thoughts of her been with someone else other than him made his heart ache. He hoped it wouldn't be so and that they meet soon.

Amanda: wow! Look at how everywhere has changed within a space of just three years. (she said with a smile. Mabel smiled also, she was driving them round town)

Mabel: you know knew houses are being built, hospitals, companies and even the Government are trying really hard to develop the road and i bet in years, people would not be able to recognize it. So where should we go, we've been driving for quite some time now?

Amanda: let's go to your place. I've had enough of the tour and sight-seeing and besides i'm sure you are tired. Maybe next time we could do some jogging and erm...erm pushups ( she said with a smirk on her face)

Mabel: what!

Amanda: (laughed) just kidding. I wouldn't want Michael to break my head (Mabel smiled)

Mabel took a sharp turn on the right as they drove into a street which screamed familiarity to Amanda. As she stared at the houses, she couldn't help but remember the times they spent there.

Mabel: they've moved ( she said making Amanda snap out of her reverie. Amanda glanced at her and smiled lightly)
you still love him, don't you? ( Amanda said nothing but watched as she drove slowly out of the street and onto the mainroad)

They arrived at her place and Amanda carried Jovita who had slept off at the back seat on her bosom as they headed inside. She dropped her gently on the couch before heading to the kitchen to get her sister a glass of water. She sat down beside her after handing it to her. Mabel picked the remote on the table and switched on the TV. She scrolled through the channel for sometime before she settled for a nollywood channel.

Both sisters watched the movie silently. Amanda's eyes were glued to the TV but her mind was afar off. Mabel watched her sister from the corner of her eyes and sighed quietly. The silence went on for about 20-minutes before Mabel broke it.

Mabel: what would you do if you see him again? (she had a serious look)

Amanda did nothing but stare at her while her mind pondered over the question. That was undeniably the question of the year. A question even her heart had no answers to. She knew for sure that their paths were going to cross again but what she wasn't sure of was how it was going to be when it did. Considering that it had been three years coupled with the fact that she had kept his child away from him during these years. She wished she knew the outcome of meeting him again, not to run away but to prepare for it however it may be.

To be cont.d
Re: The Inauspicious by Venovictory(f): 5:26pm On Nov 16, 2016
Episode 8

Ray: goodday mum.

Mrs Abraham: goodday son. How are you and how was the journey?

Ray: a bit stressful but i'm fine.

Mrs Abraham: that is good to know. Benita; your brother is around o..

Benita; Raymond's younger sister came out through the passage that led into the rooms in the house. Her fair skin covered by her pyjamas.

Benita: goodevening brother. Welcome. (she said hugging him)

Ray: look at you. What is mummy feeding you with? (Benita giggled and sat beside him while Ray stared at her, suprised)
Are you sure you are reading in school? This one that you are getting beautiful everyday or is there something i should know? (he asked winking)

Benita: Brother! I don't know what you are saying o.

Ray: hmm. Benita, i don't trust you again. Come here. (Benita laughed and drew closer to him) tell me the truth, what is the secret huh? (Benita and Mrs Abraham laughed) I want someone who will buy walking stick and cap for me oo. I want to drink wine o.

Benita: brother you are funny. Were you not the one who told me to graduate first before i think of that. And besides i think you should be the one to bring a wife home. Me, I want to carry your children o. (Ray laughed)

Ray: so you are turning the table around on me na abi?

Mrs Abraham: she is right son. I think it's high time you bring a woman home.

Ray rubbed his forehead with his palm. If he knew it was going to lead to marriage talk, he wouldn't have started it.

Ray: mum, i will bring a woman home. When i find the right one.

Mrs Abraham: son! I know you still love Amanda but it's been three years already. It's high time you move on. Anyways when is the date for the wedding?

Ray: it's friday mum but the bachelor's eve is on thursday.

Mrs Abraham: okay. Benita serve the dinner let us eat. I'm really farmished.

Ray: me too

Benita: shey you have heard what mum said? I want children that will call me aunty o.

Ray ignored her statement as he headed inside to drop his bag.

Chidera: babe no tell me say na because of that boy make you dey drink like this o. Babe you dey fall my hand o.

Katherine: you no go understand.

Chidera: wetin you wan make i understand? You are dying for that small boy, your employee for that matter when chief Segun and Tobi dey there. Babe you dey Bleep up o.

Katherine: abegi leave me jor.

Chidera: if you want am badly e get wetin you go do. No be say you go dey drink yourself to stupor. I know say drinking na your hobby before so no qualms. No worry i go tutor you on how to get am. (she said winking)

katherine cocked a brow.

Katherine: are you sure?

Chidera: you no trust me again? When i say i go tutor you, i go tutor you. I fit even arrange am for you self.

Katherine smiled.

Amanda stared at the clothes scattered on the bed and sighed. She sat heavily on the bed and watched her sister who sat on the couch in the room shake her head.

Amanda: what?

Mabel: you are so indescisive.

Amanda: i'm not indescisive. I just can't find any dress. Most of them are undersized and the ones that fit, i don't like them.

Mabel: fine! Why don't you go shopping. You could buy the one you would need tonight.

Amanda: alright. But that will be if you come with me.

Mabel: no way

Amanda: please na, sweetly please.

Mabel: you are so impossible.

Amanda: yeah. Thanks (she said hugging her)

Mabel: did I say i was going with you?

Amanda ignored her and turned to her wardrobe as she picked a dress to wear.

They were heading to the counter to pay for the clothes she had picked when she saw someone. Her heart froze and her legs felt numb. She quickly recovered and headed back to the direction she had come out from ignoring her sister who was calling out to her. She breath down when she got behind the clothes lines.

Mabel: what is wrong with you? Why did you suddenly turn back as if you had seen a ghost? (Amanda stared at her, then glance back)

Amanda: he was here.

Mabel: (confused) who was here?

Amanda: Raymond.

Mabel: i think you need to rest (she said to Amanda when they got home. Without a word, she headed upstairs as she held Jovita)
I'll come pick you up later okay (she shouted after her)

Amanda laid on her bed with her back to the door. Her mother had travelled while her father was at the office. She was so sure she had seen Raymond. Even though he had his back to her, she was hundred and one percent sure it was him. She thought she was ready to see him but seeing him today had taught her it wouldn't be that easy. There was only one word she could think of to describe meeting him again; AWKWARD.

To be cont.d
Re: The Inauspicious by Venovictory(f): 9:28am On Dec 02, 2016
[b]EPISODE 9

Amanda stepped into the hall with Mabel right behind her. She was cladded in a red flowery gown while Amanda wore a pink tank top and a black skirt. The hall was buzzing with music while people danced to the rhythm. They stopped a few feets away from the door and scanned the with their eyes in search of some.
'Right on time'. Someone said from the right.
They turned to see who it was and smiled as they saw him approach them.

Amanda: hey sweet cousin (he chuckled)

Patrick: sweet? Whatever happened to lollypop? (he asked and hugged them in turns. He kept his eyes on Mabel)
Michael seems to be taking good care of you. (he turned his eyes to Amanda and winked. Amanda laughed)

Mabel: you are so mannerless. You couldn't even offer us a seat before being naughty.

Patrick: forgive my manners princesses. This way please (he said as he led them through a passage)

Amanda: where is Emmy, and why are you somewhere else when the party is going on out there?

Patrick: easy babe. One question at a time. That party out there is not mine and Emmy? She is where am taking you to.

They took a turn by the left and stopped at the door which hap a VVIP tag on it. He turned the knob and opened it to reveal a beautifully arranged and decorated hall. They stepped fully into it.

Patrick: do you like what you see babies? (Mabel smiled)

Mabel: oh please! You make me feel like a 16years old with that "baby" of yours. And besides, I thinks there is only one baby her and that is Amanda.

Patrick: and why is she under-dressed for the occasion. Is she not suppose to wear a gown or something like that? (Mabel rolled her eyes)

They both turned to Amanda who had not said a word since they stepped into the hall. They noticed that she stood like a statue with her lips slightly parted and her eyes focused on something ahead. They both turned simultaneously in her eyes direction and then she saw him.

Oh.....my.....God! Mabel breath.

Raymond stared at the woman a few feets away from him. He didn't want to believe it was her. He had always hoped to see her again and now that he had, he couldn't believe it. He wanted to be sure he wasn't imagining things but his hands felt numb. He wanted to walk up to her but his legs had suddenly lost it's ability to move.

Hey sister-in-law to be. A voice said jolting Amanda from her world of staring.

She looked and saw Emmy smiling at her, a worried look on Mabel's face and a confused look on Patricks'. She swallowed the load of spittle that had formed in her mouth and her throat suddenly felt dry.
Amanda was present physically but it seemed her mind and soul had gone to some faraway place. She kept glancing towards Ray's direction and their eyes alweys met when it did sending signals, emotions and unspoken words.

To be cont.d

[/b]
i'm sorry for the late and short update. Have been very busy but i'll try and post the continuation later on. If not, till on sunday.
Re: The Inauspicious by Venovictory(f): 12:04pm On Dec 04, 2016
[b]episode 9 continues

Amanda: Emmy! Where can i find the restroom?

Emmily: Just use that door over there. (she pointed at a door at the left side of the hall)

Amanda glanced at the door and immediately concluded that there was no way she could go there since Ray was just seated close to the said door.

Emmy: Are you not using the restroom again? (Amanda flinched)

Amanda: erm.....uhm no. I think i'll just go home now.

Emmy: But the party just started.

Patrick: Amanda! Are you sure you are okay? You've been acting wierdly since you stepped into the hall.

Amanda: i'm fine (she looked at Mabel for rescue but it wasn't forthcoming) erm....erm. I think i'm feeling sick all of a sudden.

Patrick: sick! Does anywhere hurt (he and Emmy looked at her worriedly. Mabel was the only one indifferent)

Amanda: not really. I think i just need to rest

she could feel Ray's eyes boring into her back almost making her feel as if she was naked as she walked out of the hall.

Episode 10

Raymond watched as all four of them exited the hall and sighed. He didn't know if he should go after them or stay back. He choose the latter and relaxed back on the plastic chair awaiting what the next day would bring.
He approached Patrick and Emmily when they came back into the hall.

Emmy: hi Raymond

Ray: hi Emmy, hey Patrick

Patrick: dude! You've been sitting at that secluded place since. Why na?

Emmy: leave him jor. He's not the party type. (Ray smiled)

Ray: is it okay by you if i speak to Emmy in private.

Patrick. Sure. But your time starts now (they laughed while he walked away. They walked outside and stood at the hallway.)

Emmy: what is it Raymond?

Ray: nothing much. I just want to know who those two ladies are to you.

Emmy: which ladies?

Ray: the one's you escorted out a while ago.

Emmy: oh! The are Patrick's cousins'. Why are you asking?

Ray: uhm...erm I was hoping that maybe you could give me the number of the slightly fair one.

Emmy: what for. Don't tell me you are hitting on her?

Ray: please

Emmy: i can't. I'm not saying i don't have her number, i do but i can't give it to you. I suggest you talk to Patrick instead.

Ray: she will be around for the wedding tommorrow right?

Emmy: yes. But you have to be careful. Amanda is not the type to entertain admirers.

Ray: i know

Emmy: you know? (she asked giving him an askew look)

Ray: (forcing a laugh) i mean i understand.

Emmy: so, are you going to talk to Patrick now?

Ray: no, never mind. I should be heading home now.

Why is everyone acting so strangely? Emmy wondered.

Amanda and Mabel stepped into the living room to see their Dad seated, watching a 9:0'clock news

Mabel/Amanda: goodevening dad.

Mr Daniel: goodevening. You are back early. Has the party ended?

Mabel: no dad. We're just tired and decided to come home. (she sat down and rubbed her bulging stomach)

Mr Daniel: Amanda! Are you alright?

Amanda: i'm fine dad. I just need to rest. Has Jovita slept yet?

Mr Daniel: Suliat took her to the room not quite long ago. She would have come down by now if she had slept.

Amanda: okay. Goodnight dad

Mr Daniel: goodnight dear. Sweet dreams.
Are you staying tonight?

Mabel: yes dad. I don't think i can sleep alone in that house. And besides, I and Amanda need to talk.

Mr Daniel: sisters gossip?

Mabel: Dad! We don't gossip.

Mr Daniel: yes, you do.

Mabel: no, we don't.

Mr Daniel: okay, fine. Talking, gossiping are the same for girls and women.

Mabel: including mum?

Mr Daniel: ofcourse.

Mabel: i'm sure going to tell mum when she comes back.

Mr Daniel: i didn't mean that (she laughed)

Mabel: goodnight dad

Mr Daniel: Goodnight. Dream of me.

Mabel: dream of you ke? Whatever happened to my Michael?

Mr Daniel: tell him that before he came, i was. (she laughed) sleep well okay.

Mabel: I will Dad. Sleep well too and dream of mum.

Mr Daniel: i will certainly dream of her.

To be cont.d

[/b]

(1) (Reply)

Fresh!!!! My Wedding Night (episode 6) / A Very Worthy Crush (A Short Romantic Story) / Why You Should Hire An Editor For Your Manuscript.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.