Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,229 members, 7,822,188 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC (53819 Views)

CAC Reviews Cost Of Business Registration, Says Now Cheaper / Cac Closes Manual Registration Of Companies In Five States / The 10 Most Innovative Sources For Getting Good Business Ideas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by dondiggy: 7:03pm On Sep 25, 2016
Is it possible to register a business name without physical address, more of online business
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by skytreader(m): 7:04pm On Sep 25, 2016
ablesolomo:

@OP Please what is the different between a registration number that started with BN and that of RC. e.g BN345678 and RC345678

BN: Business Name
RC: Registered Company (PLC, LTD)
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by foxychev(m): 7:07pm On Sep 25, 2016
willcurt:
Pls those anyone know the cost of registering a company in the CAC?
Your agent will charge you some professional fees. check here
https://www.nairaland.com/2549756/business-registration-nigeria-demystified
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by foxychev(m): 7:09pm On Sep 25, 2016
dondiggy:
Is it possible to register a business name without physical address, more of online business
You need a physical address. but don't worry, you can simply use your residential address.
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by skytreader(m): 7:10pm On Sep 25, 2016
speedyconnect3:
ok pls if i registered nov.2015, when should returns be filed
Should have been done on or before June 30 this year
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by Nobody: 7:47pm On Sep 25, 2016
KomonSense:

The CAC office you're using is located in which state?
Are u registering a business name or a Limited company?

I am so anxious now coz I am undergoing a program now which they said they will fund our business but we must first register the business name..

I need advice and help ooo pls
Lagos state. Sabo Yaba precisely
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by sisqology(m): 8:46pm On Sep 25, 2016
falansa:
Nice thread... Can someone give us a breakdown of the best, fastest and cheapest way of registering with CAC?

Go to diylaw.ng
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by speedyconnect3: 9:50pm On Sep 25, 2016
skytreader:

Should have been done on or before June 30 this year
i really find your posts on this very useful. pls how do i proceed with this since its just a biz name. i know some forms will be filled and etc
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by dondiggy: 10:09pm On Sep 25, 2016
foxychev:

You need a physical address. but don't worry, you can simply use your residential address.
Thanks, for the info. This one of the reason holding me back
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by skytreader(m): 10:14pm On Sep 25, 2016
speedyconnect3:

i really find your posts on this very useful. pls how do i proceed with this since its just a biz name. i know some forms will be filled and etc

Yes, you fill some forms. Forms CAC 1 & CAC/BN/1...pretty easy to fill. Passport photographs, a valid and acceptable ID, e.t.c.
If you intend going into a regulated field, you might need to provide a certificate of proficiency, or at least evidence of it.
However, unlike companies, a business name can commence business before registration, but must register within 28 days.
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by KomonSense: 10:48pm On Sep 25, 2016
Sweetcypress:
Thanks for your concern.
but how much did you pay for the business name registration?
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by KomonSense: 10:51pm On Sep 25, 2016
Sweetcypress:
Thanks for your concern.
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by Nobody: 12:51am On Sep 26, 2016
KomonSense:

Thanks for your concern.

My business, my secret. Thanks
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by AustinStevens: 6:38am On Sep 26, 2016
foxychev:
Name Availability search is the first step to take when you want to register your business with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), whether it is an enterprise, limited liability company (Ltd or Plc), or a non-profit organization like NGOs or churches.
First let me give you possible reasons why your proposed business name may be rejected at the CAC:
1. Names that are ambiguous or unclear, or confusing. Names that can confuse the public about the nature of your business, or awkward combination of words. E.g. Johnson Enterprises Company; or Johnson Motors and Health Ltd.
2. Use of reserved names like Johnson Chamber of Commerce, or John Department of Agriculture.
3. Use of names that are closely similar to that of existing registered companies with the CAC. For instance, you cannot use a name like "Dangots Sugar Ltd", because you know quite well that there is an existing company called "Dangote Sugar Plc". People can easily confuse those two names together.
Well, it is obvious we all know "Dangote Sugar", but there are thousands of registered companies we don't know about, and if we try to reserve a name close to theirs, it will be rejected by CAC.
Can we see the list of all registered companies in Nigeria before choosing our own name? Yes, but not practicable!
So what do we do?
Here are some tips to assist you in selecting a good business name that flies at the CAC Name Availability Search...
1. Be creative, very creative.
Some names are common and can be easily thought of. If you are thinking of using "Amazing Grace Nigeria Ltd", that is an easy name to come by! You can be certain that there will be existing companies having one or both words in their names. Think of unique words.
2. Explore other Languages.
For instance, if you are a fan of French or Spanish, or your native language, you can simply translate common words into them. You have a higher chance of getting your name reserved. For instance, you can translate "Red" into "Rouge" (French), or "Colorado" (Spanish).
3. Combine words that are rarely used together.
Everyone knows “Amazing Grace” are two words that are used together most of the time. “Abundant Grace” won’t be a good choice either. But if we say something like “Colossal Grace” we stand a better chance.
4. Combine more words (Don’t exceed 5 words!).
The reason for this is to reduce the chances of having closely similar words with the names of other companies. For instance, suppose we have “Johnson Nigeria Limited” already registered and we love the name Johnson so much that we don’t want to drop it or interpret it into another language. CAC may reject “Johnson Engineering Ltd”, or “Johnson Electrical Ltd”. But if we have two additional words different from those of the existing one, we can get ours approved. So if we choose “Johnson Engineering Services Ltd”, we will likely get an approval.
5. Specialize your business name
Let the nature of your business reflect in the name. E.g. adding suffixes like Engineering, Publishing, Health Services, Business Solutions, Farms, etc. will help you to distinguish your company name from others baring similar names but are into different natures of business, and consequently get an approval. Now, assuming “Johnson Nigeria Limited” and “Johnson Engineering Services Ltd” are registered, and we are into publishing, we can use “Johnson Publishing House Ltd”. It will likely get approved.
6. Google up your intended name.
Many businesses are creating online presence via corporate websites, blogs, online business directories, social media pages, etc. If you Google search your proposed name, you might come across an existing company with similar name. This will help you to fine tune yours further.
7. Be flexible, don’t be obsessed with a particular name.
I have seen people do like 5 name searches, and still don’t get an approved name. That is like 10 rejected names, since they have two options for each search! Being flexible will allow you to follow advices 1 to 6 above, thereby saving you money, energy and time expended on multiple searches.
Note that CAC has the right to approve or reject any name, based on their discretion. But a well thought of, unambiguous name will get you an approval.
Finally, seek advice from friends, family and professionals. Don’t be alone.
Contributions are welcome, please.
Drop a reply if you need additional help…

how much does it cost to register and trademark a business name
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by KomonSense: 8:22am On Sep 26, 2016
Sweetcypress:

My business, my secret. Thanks

Sorry I think You misunderstood my question.

I never asked what biznes you are into, i was just asking how much you paid to CAC for the registration of ur business name.

But you can PM me let's chat privately
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by foxychev(m): 8:34am On Sep 26, 2016
AustinStevens:
how much does it cost to register and trademark a business name
Check my signature.
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by AustinStevens: 8:51am On Sep 26, 2016
foxychev:

Check my signature.

Its alright.
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by noble71(m): 1:34pm On Sep 26, 2016
cydophobia:
@ foxy

Thanks for your contribution.
I did an NGO registration,name reservation was approved and publications was done on national dailies.To my suprise CAC rejected the name at the point of issuing certificate.
I was told to bring another name and start the process all over again.

Can you suggest what could have caused the denial of the name.

Thank you.

I experienced that too bro. it is as a result of similar existing name. just choose another name and your certificate will be given to you.
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by speedyconnect3: 6:52am On Sep 27, 2016
skytreader:

Yes, you fill some forms. Forms CAC 1 & CAC/BN/1...pretty easy to fill. Passport photographs, a valid and acceptable ID, e.t.c.
If you intend going into a regulated field, you might need to provide a certificate of proficiency, or at least evidence of it.
However, unlike companies, a business name can commence business before registration, but must register within 28 days.
its already registered last year nov. Just feel like knowing how to about filling d returns.
Again i feel like d idea of registering a biz name after start of biz may not be a good one cos the name may be rejected upon name search.
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by skytreader(m): 5:06pm On Sep 27, 2016
speedyconnect3:

its already registered last year nov. Just feel like knowing how to about filling d returns.
Again i feel like d idea of registering a biz name after start of biz may not be a good one cos the name may be rejected upon name search.

The availability check and name reservation should have been done before commencement of business.
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by agentakins: 4:24pm On Sep 28, 2016
Good job
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by foxychev(m): 3:41pm On Oct 16, 2016
Okay from personal mails received, I realize many people still need good information about registering a business in Nigeria. Kindly check this thread to learn more...
https://www.nairaland.com/2549756/business-registration-nigeria-demystified
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by foxychev(m): 1:24pm On Oct 21, 2016
Here is some information concerning share capitalisation for limited companies. You might also find it helpful.
[url] https://www.nairaland.com/3411430/share-capital-company-registration-cac[/url]
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by foxychev(m): 12:17pm On Oct 23, 2016
Stages of New company incorporation:

Name search/reservation (CAC) - 1 week,
Stamp Duties (FIRS) - 1 week,
Filing of Documents (CAC) - 2 weeks,

The timelines are approximate and may vary largely.
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by benz33(m): 11:43pm On Oct 23, 2016
IF YOU ARE TOO BUSY TO REGISTER YOUR BUSINESS WITH C.A.C ......YOU CAN CONTACT US. WE REGISTER BUSINESSES....Irrespective of your Location in Lagos and Abuja.

Chat via whstssap:- 08037224118...Vantage-Link Business and Marketing Consult.
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by oluwadanie1(m): 6:02pm On Oct 26, 2016
foxychev:

Business names can be done for less than 20k. But for limited companies, you need a CAC accredited customer, which I am one. Prices vary, depending on share capital. Call or WhatsApp 08188887911.
good evening sir, pls can someone register a business name for now, and after a substantial growth, upgrade it to a limited company?
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by foxychev(m): 12:19am On Oct 27, 2016
oluwadanie1:
good evening sir, pls can someone register a business name for now, and after a substantial growth, upgrade it to a limited company?

Sure. That can be done.

1 Like

Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by foxychev(m): 6:55pm On Nov 29, 2016
Recently, CAC seems to scrutinise names more. It will be helpful if the nature of the business reflects in your proposed name. CAC wants unique names, but with comprehensible meanings.
For instance, "Foxydee Nigeria Ltd" or "Foxydee Consulting Ltd" will have better preference than "Foxydee Ltd" (which seems vague).
Although general business company is still very much allowed, it's always better to consider have some degree of speciality in the name.
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by DeConsultant: 7:41pm On Mar 10, 2017
According to the Federal Government drive to making the cost of doing business cheap in Nigeria, do you know that registering a business name, limited liability companies and other allied dealing with the Corporate Affairs Commission is now very easy & faster and can be done by the first directors, proprietors and trustees (promoters).
If you need assistance as regards the particulars of a proposed company, stamping of documents, pre-incorporation documentation, filing of incorporation documents, registration and incorporation, preliminary matters after incorporation (Company Seal, FIRS TIN, EFCC SCUML, Corporate Bank Opening) & Post incorporation (annual returns, changes in memorandum, removal or appointing directors, change of company name, increase in share capital).
We are also professionals in trademarks, patents, copyrights & special designs; NAFDAC registration, NIPC registration, NEPC registration and other government special registration, taxation (TCC, VAT & CIT returns) etc.
We have assisted over 200 hundred promoters, clients in Nigeria and Diaspora with our all inclusive corporate service. Contact us to enjoy our advantage.
Why not contact us via mail pendoknig@yahoo.com or call us on 08107804290 & 08026103452.
Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by sotimonpe(m): 3:16pm On May 17, 2017
Do you need an helping hand on registering your business name, private company limited through CAC WEBSITE?

IF YES WHATSAPP OR CALL 08075800577

Re: Tips For Getting Your Business Name Approved With CAC by DeConsultant: 4:32pm On May 23, 2017
Hello Nairalanders, we are proud to tell you that our firm have been able to assist over 10 promoters register their business name and private limited companies via CAC online portal.
Below is the procedure for company registration via CAC ONLINE PORTAL

PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION OF COMPANY/BUSINESS
NAME/INCORPORATED TRUSTEES ONLINE
Connection to the Company Registration Portal (CRP)
1. Services.cac.gov.ng, or
2. cac.gov.ng
Creation of account
1. Click on create account on the home page of the Portal.
2. Complete the forms displayed
NOTE:
i. ACCREDITED USERS should select ‘’ARE YOU AN ACCREDITED CUSTOMER?’’ and enter
their accreditation number in this format for individual NBA/IND/12345 or
ICAN/IND/12345 or ICSAN/IND/12345, and for firm NBA/FM/12345, or ICAN/FM/12345,
or ICSAN/FM/12345.
ii. Accredited users must ensure that they enter the e-mail address that was used during
their accreditation.
3. Enter the catcher as displayed in the box.
4. Click on submit.
FOR GENERAL USERS, the system will display the pre-entered ‘’USER NAME’’ and the auto generated
‘’PASSWORD’’ immediately. While accredited users will be mailed their ‘’USER NAME’’ and
‘’PASSWORD’’ after approval at the back office.

ACCESSING THE CRP AFTER ACCOUNT CREATION
1. Enter the ‘’USER NAME’’ and ‘’PASSWORD’’.
2. Click on ‘’LOGIN’’
3. Accept terms of use.
4. Change your ‘’PASSWORD’’.
You can thereafter transact business with the commission using your profile without any interruption.

CONDUCT AVAILABILITY
1. Login using your profile details.
2. Select ‘’NAME SEARCH’’.
3. Complete the forms displayed.
NOTE:
1. Always make use of the ‘’CONTINUE’’ button until you get to the end of the form and make
payment.
2. For Incorporated Trustee make sure you provide the main object in the column provided.
3. All fields make asterisks and in red are compulsory and must be populated.
TO VIEW AVAILABILITY APPROVAL
1. Login with your profile.
2. Click on ‘’ACTION’’ button’’ on the name already reserved.
3. Click on DOWNLOAD OF NAME APPROVAL’’.
4. The system will download the document at the base of your computer system.
5. Click on the ‘’OPEN’’ option, the approved availability will be displayed.
NOTE: This is where you see the availability serial number that is required for registration.

REGISTRATION OF COMPANY, BUSINESS NAME, INCORPORATED TRUSTEES
1. Reserve name.
2. Log in with your profile.
3. Select ‘’REGISTRATION’’
4. Select the classification that is ‘’BUSINESS NAME, or COMPANY, or INCORPORATED TRUSTEE’’.
5. Enter the availability serial code.
6. Click on continue.
7. Enter the details of the ‘’PROPRIETOR, DIRECTORS, TRUSTEES, SHAREHOLDERS, SECRETARY
(depending on whether you are registering a BUSINESS NAME, COMPANY, or INCORPORATED
TRUSTEE).
NOTE:
1. Where the director of the company is also a shareholder select the director that has the
dual role enter the number of shares and classification of shares then click on ‘’ADD
SELECTED RECORD’’.
2. For companies and Incorporated Trustees, click on ‘’ADD AN OBJECT’’ or ‘’ADD OBJECTS’’
and type in the nature of Business or objects for which the company or Incorporated trustee
is registered, then click on ‘’ADD’’. Continue to add the object until all the objects have been
added.
3. For companies, either adopt the ‘’ARTICLE’’ or edit by adding or removing the content of the
Article and replacing the same with your own Articles.
8. Select the ‘’DROP OFF and PICK UP STATE’’.
9. Click on continue until payment is made.
10. Select ‘’GET STAMP’’ to stamp the document electronically.
11. Make payment for electronic stamping.
12. The system will automatically affix the electronic stamp duties on the documents (Form CAC1.1,
and Memorandum and Article of Association).

TO DOWNLOAD STAMP DOCUMENT
1. Select ‘’REGISTRATION’’.
2. The system will display all the list of companies registered.
3. Under the ‘’DOCUMENT’’ click on ‘’DOWNLOAD DOCUMENTS’’. Or
4. Click on ‘’ACTION’’ button.
5. Select ‘’DOWNLOAD DOCUMENTS’’.
6. Print the document.

TO UPLOAD DOCUMENT ON DOCUMENT UPLOAD INTERFACE
1. The documents already printed must be signed by the directors/subscribers
2. Go to the commission’s web site ‘’www.cac.gov.ng’’
3. At the middle of the page extreme right select ‘’DOCUMENT UPLOAD’’.
4. Enter the company/Business name/Incorporated Trustee ‘’AVAILABILITY CODE’’.
5. Select the ‘’ORIGINATING OFFICE’’ (THIS IS WHERE YOU WILL PICK UP THE CERTIFICATE).
6. Select ‘’I AM NOT A ROBOT’’ then follow the instruction.
7. Click on ‘’BEGIN’’.
8. Select the type of document to be attached one after the other and attach each one after
properly identifying same.
9. After attaching all the documents click on submit.

AFTER UPLOAD WHAT’S NEXT
1. The Commission will rely on the uploaded documents to treat your application. The certificate
will be generated by the Commission and all relevant documents will be certified.
2. You don’t have to come to the Commission to follow up on the status of your application, you
can check the status of your application on the portal. There is a column that reads ‘’STATUS’’
on your profile. This will show the state or status of the application, it will show ‘’NOT
SUBMITED, or SUBMITTED, or PENDING APPROVAL, or APPROVED depending on stage the
application is.
3. Also note that where the application is approved and certificate generated the Registration
number will be displayed on the column for ‘’REGISTRATION NUMBER’’.
4. When the status reads ‘’APPROVED’’ and Registration number displayed, then you can approach
the office where you had selected as the DROP OFF/PICK UP OFFICE or ‘’ORIGINATING OFFICE’’
with the original copy of the document that you had earlier printed and uploaded. You should
submit the originals in exchange for the certificate and CTC’s.

If you have any difficulty, information or inquiries to make as regards CAC online portal for business name registration, limited company registration and incorporated trustees, do well to contact us on 08107804290 via call and Whatapps.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Mompha Ismaila Mustapha & His Son Flaunt Cash On Instagram / CBN To Block Bank Accounts Of 18 Companies (Full List) / 14 Most Attractive Muslim Female Billionaires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.