Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:47 AM

Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release (44517 Views)

Aguiyi-Ironsi With Ojukwu, Gowon, Hassan Katsina, David Ejoor & Wey. Throwback / Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Honoured At The August Meeting In Imo. PICS / Victoria Aguiyi-Ironsi Speaks On The 50th Year Of Aguiyi Ironsi's Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Chemcrown: 10:56pm On Aug 11, 2018
emmanuelex1:
Please can a president of a federal republic release a prisoner in a region he has no control at a particular time? I may not be Igbo but I think Ojukwu could have killed Awo if he wanted to.

Bro, it was not the premier of the East that sentenced him to prison, it was the central power, so Ojukwu has no authority over him at all. A federal offense can not and never be pardoned by MERE regional governor. Take note bro.
Ojukwu DARE not kill Awolowo, or else, the political storm against the Ibo will be highly overwhelmed

6 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Sagay212: 11:04pm On Aug 11, 2018
Juliusmalema:

I can't make out any sense of what u saying?

What is ipod?
What is oju iku.....is it an abiku spirit?

Gather urself before u story will be like that of oshiomole.

Ipods don't understand anything. They are too fooli.sh and bitter to make use of their brain..

Below is what a fellow ipod thinks of you ipod miscreants

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by selemempe: 12:27am On Aug 12, 2018
Ioannes:
actually...awolowo was a coward. We are omly here to debunk ur lies

Coward means a person who is contemptibly lacking in the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

He had an opportunity to take the west out of nigeria in 1967...but fearing war with the north...and not having courage to face other nay sayers from his region, he chose to align with the north and hide under gowon skirt.

Today the yorubas would have had their nation and the east would have had their nation too. We wont be begging the north for restructuring today or voting a certificateless fossil just because he comes from north.

Awolowo took the easy way out and we are only here to debunk ur lies
Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by GreenCap: 1:07am On Aug 12, 2018
Strikethem:
May God bless you for this truth.

thank you.

@phase1 my fellow Ibo who is high on Oshogbo grass called me a propagandist cause i said what Awo faced in the hands of Zik.

i will not demystify Awo a god because of tribal sentiment.

Ojukwu refered to him as "the best president Nigeria never had"

to me, Awo is the best AU president Africa never had.

if we had him as federal premier at independence we would have advanced as a nation. true federalism, rule of law, high economy, top education system, visionary leadership

what was Zik doing in Lagos by 1951? is there no seat at Onitsha? why did he want to become regional premier at Ibadan?

it will surprise you to know that Bello rejected the post of a federal Prime Minister which Britain promised him. he stayed back in Kaduna as a regional Premier to develop his people in the North. from 1951 to 1966

but Zik was galivanting, moving capital of the East from Calabar to Enugu in 1954, running back to Lagos in 1960

6 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Nobody: 1:36am On Aug 12, 2018
Glink2018:

Entitled to your own opinion.

Human beings breathe in oxygen n breathe out carbondioxide. It's a fact n not an opinion.

Not all issues give room for opinion.
Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Nobody: 1:38am On Aug 12, 2018
TooNoisy:
This really shows who this great man was. The best president Nigeria never had, a man that spent his life pursuing the development of our nation and yes he paid a hefty price.

He's a coupist n he was among the people that destroyed the love n unity of Nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by selemempe: 1:55am On Aug 12, 2018
GreenCap:

thank you.

@phase1 my fellow Ibo who is high on Oshogbo grass called me a propagandist cause i said what Awo faced in the hands of Zik.

if we had him as federal premier at independence we would have advanced as a nation. true federalism, rule of law, high economy, top education system, visionary leadership

what was Zik doing in Lagos by 1951? is there no seat at Onitsha? why did he want to become regional premier at Ibadan?

it will surprise you to know that Bello rejected the post of a federal Prime Minister which Britain promised him. he stayed back in Kaduna as a regional Premier to develop his people in the North. from 1951 to 1966

but Zik was galivanting, moving capital of the East from Calabar to Enugu in 1954, running back to Lagos in 1960
awolowo was a clannish coupist. He may have sponsored kaduna nzeogwu who came from the old western region (asaba was western region for 24 yrs!) to over throw the govt. Cos it was a fact the nzeogwu said he wanted awolowo released and handed over to and that was where aguiyi disagreed with nzeogwu. And that was partly why awolowo wrote to aguiyi this nonsense letter

Awolowo would have come to pursue a Yoruba agenda...seeing that he never left the west for once to appreciate nigeria's diversity until he was thrown into prison in calabar for plotting a coup. (A coup which he used his kinsman nzeogwu to achieve yrs later)

Zik on the other hand had already transformed the east into the fastest growing economy in nigeria. Zik had already built massive infrastructure in enugu to show his accumen. And zik was born in north, went to school in u.s. started a newspaper biz in accra..went into western politics b4 joining eastern politics. A true detribalised panafrican gentleman who would have made a fine pm.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Nobody: 2:21am On Aug 12, 2018
IntrovertedK:
I see no difference between Igbo and the Moslem faith they have so much hatred for. You both are gullible. You get deceived easily, and you believe whatever they (Your Messiah) tell you. Reason Ojukwu wasted you lots and Kanu continue where he stop. Ojukwu doesn't even have power to release himself from Nigeria talk more of releasing a federal prisoner. Is you lots brain paining you?
Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by GreenCap: 3:25am On Aug 12, 2018
@selemempe,

is there any need to quote your lengthy verbal invectives?

Mid-West people (1963) stayed only 17 years in Western region (1946) not 24.

Nzeogwu the coupist neutralized Bello a god in the North.

he murdered sleep.

why didn't his boys also break into Calabar prison same night to free Awolowo?

did they also neutralize Okpara as they did to Akintola?

i also respect Fajuyi a hero who died for Ironsi.

it's high time we Igbos let the Yorubas be.

pan-African, keep developing Lagos instead of Onitsha.

Fela prophesied you shall remember that his people own the land.

the Hausas knew it and moved to Abuja. we also ran to the place.

what Zik or Ironsi should have done in 3 days

Ojukwu and Kanu tried to do it with 3 years each.

Jonathan had the window to bridge the divide between the East and the West, unite the South, but he blew it up.

faction of AG (West) aligned with NPC to form NNA because NCNC (East) merged with NPC (North) to form UPGA.

the same reason ACN collabo with CPC to birth APC

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by selemempe: 3:59am On Aug 12, 2018
GreenCap:
@selemempe,

is there any need to quote your lengthy verbal invectives?

Mid-West people (1963) stayed only 17 years in Western region (1946) not 24.
crap. The southern region was divided into west and east in 1939. Midwest was carved out from west in 1963. 24 years. Kaduna nzeogwu was a beneficiary of awo's free education.
Nzeogwu the coupist neutralized Bello a god in the North.

he murdered sleep.
yes because everybody in the south saw bello as a problem...including zik and awo. They all wanted bello gone. Awo more than zik...cos awo believed it was bello who was behind his losing the west
why didn't his boys also break into Calabar prison same night to free Awolowo?

did they also neutralize Okpara as they did to Akintola?
crap. The coup failed in the east. They couldnt achieve their full aim in the east. So nobody knows wat they truly wanted to do in the east
i also respect Fajuyi a hero who died for Ironsi.
crap. Fajuyi was marked for death that night. He didnt die for anybody. Danjuma said they also wanted him for questioning.
it's high time we Igbos let the Yorubas be.
dont be childish nobody is holding them. They are the one running like headless chickens all over the internet insulting igbos because of our biafra agitation (which frankly doesnt concern them) and because of buhari.

pan-African, keep developing Lagos instead of Onitsha.
www.nairaland.com/attachments/6587444_image1475_jpegae2d49bc8ae0f510ccc8639ca84aac40 onitsha is more sane and beautiful than lagos...and it belongs 100% to igboz. Does lagos belong entirely to Yoruba

Fela prophesied you shall remember that his people own the land.
fela is a tout who died of AIDS undecided
the Hausas knew it and moved to Abuja. we also ran to the place.
Keep talking nonsense while we keep buying the best parts of abuja. It is in ur dreams that nigeria will divide

what Zik or Ironsi should have done in 3 days

Ojukwu and Kanu tried to do it with 3 years each.
zik and ironsi are pro one nigeria. Its their headache not mine

Jonathan had the window to bridge the divide between the East and the West, unite the South, but he blew it up.
gej did his best for the ungrateful west. I wonder wat obj did for the east. Oh i forgot he sent soldiers to kill odi ppl and gave bakassi to cameroon. Useless afonja.

faction of AG (West) aligned with NPC to form NNA because NCNC (East) merged with NPC (North) to form UPGA.

the same reason ACN collabo with CPC to birth APC
yes we know. Yoro folks too like north. From NNA to APC ...always licking norths ass
Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by emmanuelex1(m): 4:10am On Aug 12, 2018
Your points are valid only when a state is in peace, not when there is war or anarchy brewing.
Chemcrown:

Bro, it was not the premier of the East that sentenced him to prison, it was the central power, so Ojukwu has no authority over him at all. A federal offense can not and never be pardoned by MERE regional governor. Take note bro.
Ojukwu DARE not kill Awolowo, or else, the political storm against the Ibo will be highly overwhelmed
a
Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Nobody: 5:39am On Aug 12, 2018
selemempe:
[s]actually...awolowo was a coward. We are omly here to debunk ur lies

Coward means a person who is contemptibly lacking in the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things.

He had an opportunity to take the west out of nigeria in 1967...but fearing war with the north...and not having courage to face other nay sayers from his region, he chose to align with the north and hide under gowon skirt.

Today the yorubas would have had their nation and the east would have had their nation too. We wont be begging the north for restructuring today or voting a certificateless fossil just because he comes from north.

Awolowo took the easy way out and we are only here to debunk ur lies[/s]

1 Like

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by selemempe: 5:58am On Aug 12, 2018
Ioannes:
bro...we are only here to debunk ur lies
Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Chemcrown: 5:59am On Aug 12, 2018
emmanuelex1:
Your points are valid only when a state is in peace, not when there is war or anarchy brewing. a
Sir. I believe you know that war had not started before Awo was released.
And Awo wouldn't have returned to the federal Govt, join the cabinet of Gowon, if it were Ojukwu that released him.

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Strikethem: 7:28am On Aug 12, 2018
selemempe:
actually...awolowo was a coward. We are omly here to debunk ur lies

Awolowo took the easy way out and we are only here to debunk ur lies
Was awoo a military man, so he should carry civilian with stick n stome to go fight military. How many of your civilians fought the war. I always say your thinking should be checked. Why did ojukwu, a whole commandant in military ran in skirt. Stop talking oga. If it had been obj, I would have understand.

5 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Strikethem: 7:30am On Aug 12, 2018
PrecisionFx:

He's a coupist n he was among the people that destroyed the love n unity of Nigeria.
Coupist from prison abi?

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Strikethem: 7:34am On Aug 12, 2018
selemempe:
awolowo was a clannish coupist. He may have sponsored kaduna nzeogwu who came from the old western region (asaba was western region for 24 yrs!) to over throw the govt. Cos it was a fact the nzeogwu said he wanted awolowo released and handed over to and that was where aguiyi disagreed with nzeogwu. And that was partly why awolowo wrote to aguiyi this nonsense letter

Awolowo would have come to pursue a Yoruba agenda...seeing that he never left the west for once to appreciate nigeria's diversity until he was thrown into prison in calabar for plotting a coup. (A coup which he used his kinsman nzeogwu to achieve yrs later)

Zik on the other hand had already transformed the east into the fastest growing economy in nigeria. Zik had already built massive infrastructure in enugu to show his accumen. And zik was born in north, went to school in u.s. started a newspaper biz in accra..went into western politics b4 joining eastern politics. A true detribalised panafrican gentleman who would have made a fine pm.
Wow, he may have sponsored, what a statement from someone that claimed to know all about the war. Nzeogu said he wanted awoo released, the same nzeogu that killed premier of western region and leave the eastern own. I doff my heart for your own style of stupidity Sir.

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Caseless: 7:43am On Aug 12, 2018
Awo is great!

3 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by phase1: 7:52am On Aug 12, 2018
GreenCap:

[s]thank you.

but Zik was galivanting, moving capital of the East from Calabar to Enugu in 1954, running back to Lagos in 1960[/s]

You ewedu skull may continue to deceive you and the other wanking mor0ns. There is nothing 'mystified' about Awo. He was a petty envious yoruba leader who always compared himself and his people with the Great Igbo race in order seek motivation to survive. His autobiography published pre-independence opened up his mode of thinking for perusal for by all and sundry.

When I talk I back up with facts, when you open your amala-swallowing mouth you talk based on ewedu gossips. Which is superior?
This is not an amala-throwing contest. Zik also wrote his book, he was not shouting 'yoruba this' 'yoruba that' in his own book.
Oshogbo man, read book you no gree. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by isnovic(m): 8:08am On Aug 12, 2018
diadem10:

Concocted tale. Ojukwu never made such interview. Pray tell where you lifted it from, if not from those trashy biafra newspaper.

Naturally, I will honor your ignorance, the author of this history presented a balance view of the events preceding the release of Awo.

They are factual and first persons interviews from the participant of these events.

Read: max_siollun_oil_politics_and_violence_nigeriabook4you

Insiders secret not known to you, Ojukwu, Aguyi and Fagbuyi were in the know to handover power to democratic dispensation with Awo being a major beneficiary.

They believed he was sincere enough to lead a reconciliatory government.

The Northern counter coup plotters got a wind of this and struck 2 days before he was released.

This much was not revealed in any of history book
Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by selemempe: 8:36am On Aug 12, 2018
Strikethem:
Was awoo a military man, so he should carry civilian with stick n stome to go fight military. How many of your civilians fought the war. I always say your thinking should be checked. Why did ojukwu, a whole commandant in military ran in skirt. Stop talking oga. If it had been obj, I would have understand.
awo was to the west wat ojukwu was to the east then. If he had declared west independent, yoruba soldiers would have backed him...but he felt he could sieze the opportunity and advance his political career with nigeria.

Ojukwu protected his people. Wen the war came to him, he had to flee to fight another day. He could have stayed and committed suicide...and igbos would be left without a strong leader. Think bro...awo is a corward...ojukwu the war lord wasnt
Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by selemempe: 8:40am On Aug 12, 2018
Strikethem:
Wow, he may have sponsored, what a statement from someone that claimed to know all about the war. Nzeogu said he wanted awoo released, the same nzeogu that killed premier of western region and leave the eastern own. I doff my heart for your own style of stupidity Sir.
am sure he sponsored it. Nzeogwu came from old western region. Besides he wanted to enthrone awo after the coup. Why was awo in prison? Cos balewa suspected he was planning a coup.

Akintola and bello were seen as awo's arch enemies...mike okpalla wasnt
Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Sportsupdatez: 9:17am On Aug 12, 2018
I don't care about the secret history, all I know is legends are lengends. Period

1 Like

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Justiceleague1: 11:07am On Aug 12, 2018
Strikethem:
Just as ojukwu deserved his punishment. God punished him from earth.

Lzaa immhotep shalomc onyeoga pointzerom

grin

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Nobody: 12:19pm On Aug 12, 2018
Strikethem:
Coupist from prison abi?
Coups can be planned from a prison.
Lots of money is what would make it happen.
Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by LZAA: 12:26pm On Aug 12, 2018
immhotep:

I hope you have learned a lesson from Benue.

-------------------------
CC onyeoga madridguy buhariguy omenka shalomc iceberg3 itsmeaboki yarimo odvanguard pointzerom t9ksy imperialyoruba odvanguard yorubaassasin alariiwo lzaa Ikenna0b ngeneukwenu yyeske liondeleo tossie101 sarrki omenka omenkalives osazeeblue01
galaxi , Bede2u , pyxon , Xander85 , horsepower101 , ikennaf1 , PointZerom,pazienza , Chiwude, selemempe , gidgiddy, Curlieweed, Odingo1 , EternalTruths, hammer6F , aniomafirstson , Klinee , zhukov82 , PabloAfricanus , Explorers , Afam4eva , OMANBALA1 , ariesbull , phase1, Faber , tossie101 , IGBOmarryme , Niccoloimhotep , Timewilltell3 , akosanwafo , BankeSmalls, Neoteny, Horlamidei , CyynthiaKiss , Elder001 , Reelectbuhari , DabuIIIT , Pharaoh9 , Evablizin, rainylad , Kophschmerzen, JackBauer24 , Shalomc , shizzle1 , MrFuckallday , Iceberg3 , Preshy561 , UNIQUEISRAEL , Thegeneralqueen, mansamusa08 , PointZerom, Teejayrio87 ,
limeta , justtoodark, highpriestess , obakovich , revontuli Justiceleague1
Strikethem loves d caliphate
Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by LZAA: 12:27pm On Aug 12, 2018
Justiceleague1:

Lzaa immhotep shalomc onyeoga pointzerom

grin
The legendary ratak ambassador grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by MrSly(m): 2:18pm On Aug 12, 2018
Strikethem:
Just as US army came to buy fighter jet in aba whether we believe it or not. Release ko, relaxation ni
Just control yourself in order not to jump into lagoon. You know suicidal tendencies runs in your vein. Like Awolowo like his afonjo descendants.

1 Like

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by naijaking1: 2:29pm On Aug 12, 2018
Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Chemcrown: 2:41pm On Aug 12, 2018
isnovic:

Naturally, I will honor your ignorance, the author of this history presented a balance view of the events preceding the release of Awo.

They are factual and first persons interviews from the participant of these events.

Read: max_siollun_oil_politics_and_violence_nigeriabook4you

Insiders secret not known to you, Ojukwu, Aguyi and Fagbuyi were in the know to handover power to democratic dispensation with Awo being a major beneficiary.

They believed he was sincere enough to lead a reconciliatory government.

The Northern counter coup plotters got a wind of this and struck 2 days before he was released.

This much was not revealed in any of history book

Then we are lost on who to believe on Who released the sage - AWOLOWO. You may help yourself by reading Adeyinka interview on how he clamour for the release of Awolowo (make google your best friend).
But let reasoning prevail: if " Ojukwu, Aguyi and Fagbuyi were in the know to handover power to democratic dispensation with Awo being a major beneficiary." according to your 'theory', the northern coup plotter (Gowon is one of them, I believe you agree oooo) wouldn't have love to see Awolowo at all let alone of absorbing him into their cabinet, giving him the mandate to head peace committee. The person you assume Ojukwu and co wanted to hand over power to.
Bro, please be logical now. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Awolowo's Letter From Prison To Aguiyi Ironsi Pressing For His Release by Chemcrown: 2:47pm On Aug 12, 2018
selemempe:
awo was to the west wat ojukwu was to the east then. If he had declared west independent, yoruba soldiers would have backed him...but he felt he could sieze the opportunity and advance his political career with nigeria.

Ojukwu protected his people. Wen the war came to him, he had to flee to fight another day. He could have stayed and committed suicide...and igbos would be left without a strong leader. Think bro...awo is a corward...ojukwu the war lord wasnt

Uncle, where you got it wrong most was " he had to flee to fight another day". He never fought another day ooo, he died with a Nigerian in body, soul and spirit And nigeria national anthem was song on his corpse.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Kwankwaso Lands In Asaba To Douse Tension (photos) / Bashir Ahmad Wears Tinubu's Logo As Tinubu Visits Kano (Photo) / Outcry As Saraki, Dogara Sit On Late Legislators Seats

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.