Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,430 members, 7,954,687 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 07:17 AM

Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? (716 Views)

Why Did God Send Satan To Earth??? / Why Did God Have To ''Kill His Son''? / Did God Create Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by kolaxy(m): 5:50am On Oct 14, 2009
Why Did God Give the Rainbow Sign?

by John D. Morris, Ph.D.

Noah and his family had just come through an unimaginably frightening experience. Perhaps they had never even seen a storm, and certainly no one had ever seen one like this. It would have been indelibly impressed on their memories. During the Flood, the winds incessantly howled, the thunder continually pealed as the Ark pitched and rolled in the waves. Earthquakes shook the planet without stop, sending pulsating tsunamis in every direction. Underwater volcanoes and the spreading "fountains of the great deep" (Genesis 7:11) heated the water surrounding the Ark, making life on board almost unbearable. And the never ceasing rainfall so pelted the Ark's roof, it was like being under Niagara Falls.

This was not merely a category 5 hurricane of today. Creationists have begun to speculate on the nature of "hypercanes," storms dozens of times greater than present hurricanes as the primary Flood character. Surely, the world before the Flood fully "perished" (II Peter 3:6) under the Flood's onslaught.

As Noah and his family stepped off the Ark they entered a world totally unfamiliar to them. The geography had all changed. Plant and animal life had been devastated. Weather patterns were chaotic. Gone was the pre-Flood stability they were accustomed to.

Consider that the world was "broken." To the extent that we enjoy relative stability now, they had none then. It would perhaps have taken several centuries for Earth to settle down to the pseudo-equilibrium in which we now live. Remember that the jet streams must be stabilized. The ocean currents must find their "paths of the seas" (Psalm 8v8) The continents must halt their rapid horizontal movements and cease their vertical rebounding. In particular, the oceans must give up their excess heat, which drove such violent storm patterns.

It was into this unstable world Noah and his family was placed. No doubt earthquakes were common. Of necessity they lived in tents, for buildings could not be made stable. Wood was in short supply and rock structures were the least safe.

Rainfall continued its intensity, with swollen streams and violent storms. Calculations show that the ocean's heat would take at least 600 years or so to dissipate, and that during this period the "Ice Age" dominated. Job lived soon after the Flood, and his book contains more references to ice and snow than the rest of the Bible put together. Up until perhaps the time of Abraham the world was a dangerous place. Continual catastrophes dominated their lives.

No doubt they needed reassurance that there would never be another Flood like the Great Flood of Noah's day, for it must have seemed they were still in it. Thus it was out of God's grace and mercy that He instituted this beautiful reminder of His protection. And every time they saw a majestic rainbow it would remind them of the security they have in Him. And what a blessed thing it is to rest in that certain knowledge.  wink
Re: Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by toneyb: 11:06am On Oct 14, 2009
What is this Do you know what a rainbow is? A rainbow is simply the refraction of light when it comes in contact with water droplets in the earth's atmosphere. Do you have any evidence to show that light did not refract when it comes in contact with water droplets in the earths atmosphere prior to the Noah's story? In fact where is you evidence to show that the earth was once flooded?
Re: Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by kolaxy(m): 10:53pm On Oct 14, 2009
Mathew 24. "But as the days of Noah were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noah entered into the ark, And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
Re: Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by RiffRaff: 11:27pm On Oct 14, 2009
Another lie from d book of myth! Do a quick google search & read up on rainbow.
Re: Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by wirinet(m): 9:33am On Oct 15, 2009
@ Poster,

Are you saying there was no rainbow prior to Noah's flood? Or there was no rain before the flood? or even rains before the flood did not produce any rainbow?. Please explain further.
Re: Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by Nobody: 2:13pm On Oct 15, 2009
^^ you made some valid points there even though you're mocking.

It does seem like those were possibly the first rains on earth, going strictly by the bible acount. I could be wrong but thats what it looks like.

Not an argument plz. I'm simply stating what I just read in genesis.
Re: Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by mazaje(m): 2:22pm On Oct 15, 2009
tpia.:

^^ you made some valid points there even though you're mocking.

It does seem like those were possibly the first rains on earth, going strictly by the bible acount. I could be wrong but thats what it looks like.

Not an argument plz. I'm simply stating what I just read in genesis.

Tpia baby kiss kiss kiss
Re: Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by Playboy2(m): 9:01pm On Oct 15, 2009
mazaje:

Tpia You are Old Black witch kiss kiss kiss

Uhm.
Re: Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by Nobody: 9:14pm On Oct 15, 2009
Playboy*:

oh my gonorrhea streetwalking mother

yepa
Re: Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by Playboy2(m): 9:34pm On Oct 15, 2009
tpia.:

oh my gonorrhea streetwalking mother

oh tpia, your mum is a gonorrhea streetwalking mother, as you wrote above ,sorryooo , now i know why you lead a frustrated life here.
Re: Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Oct 15, 2009
Playboy*:

oh my mama, you're a gonorrhea streetwalking mother, as everyone knows ,sorryooo , now i know why you have a frustrated life
Re: Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Oct 15, 2009
branom/gonorrhea boy needs to be banned repeatedly oh.

First warning. angry

the demon constantly derails threads for no reason simply because his schizophrenia grips him constantly but i dont see why that should be other people's problem.
Re: Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by mamagee6(f): 2:26am On Oct 16, 2009
He wanted to, duh!!! undecided
Re: Why Did God Give The Rainbow Sign? by olabowale(m): 3:53am On Oct 16, 2009
why so much insults?

This is too much; becoming enemies by sincere disagreement is not a good quality.

(1) (Reply)

How To Heal A Wounded Relationship / This Is A Beautiful Use Of The Alphabet / Another Earthquake In Southern California

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.