Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,152 members, 7,815,023 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:15 AM

Koko Mansion Governess Chika Anadu Talks About Rita - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Koko Mansion Governess Chika Anadu Talks About Rita (1875 Views)

"76" Movie: Rita Dominic,Ramsey Nouah, Ibinabo Fiberesima, Chidi Mokeme Staring / Rita Dominic, Eniola Badmus At The Giama Awards 2015 / Beverly Osu Talks About Her Mother Again On Big Brother Africa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Koko Mansion Governess Chika Anadu Talks About Rita by kech(f): 6:33am On Oct 14, 2009
Educating Rita and other Kokolettes
By Michaela Moye
October 12, 2009 04:26PMT

Chika Anadu is probably better known as The Governess, official chaperone to contestants on the now concluded reality show, Koko Mansion.

However, 28-year-old Anadu says that she "never wanted to be in front of the camera" and is more interested in writing, directing and producing.

Armed with a degree in Law and Criminology and a Master's in Africa, Human and Sustainable Development, she returned to Nigeria from the UK and found herself,  on TV. Anadu talked to NEXT about the Mansion, D'banj and of course, Rita.

What do you think about the contestants on Koko Mansion?

At first, I found them a trial. Apart from maybe one or two people who were easy to deal with - Bidemi and maybe Bolanle - they never gave me any trouble.

The other girls, I think, were trying to test their muscles. I think afterwards when everybody knew how far we could go and sort of learned everybody's character, it was easier for us to then enjoy each other; especially people who were there longer.

What was difficult was that I'd never done anything like this before. I was the contestant coordinator (at first). I helped to organise the audition, the photo shoots, and profile shoots. (Becoming Governess) was kind of last minute.

The producers asked me, "Chika would you like to, ?" and I was like, "no way!" Trying to organise young women is very difficult. I accepted on a Friday and the job started on a Sunday so I was lost at sea for the first week or two.

[I got] criticism from everybody,  even people who were supposed to be urging me on and supporting me. I was just like "Oh my God!" It was very difficult. I'm not one to quit so I didn't think about it. Yet, after the first week or two I started enjoying my job and I think [the contestants] started to enjoy the experience more.

Tell us more about yourself

I speak fluent French because after my first year at university, I went to study French at Le Sorbonne in Paris. I love to travel. That's my number one thing - travelling. I love Europe. I love all the architecture and arty stuff. I'm a huge film buff. That's my second love - from childhood. My favourite word is cinematography.

I'm glad I'm home because I'm getting experience. It's more difficult to get into this industry in the West, like in England where I used to be based. I guess Nigerians are a bit biased too, when you go to school abroad (laughs). I'm lucky.

Do you ever consider that you might be a celebrity or you might be considered a celebrity?

We live in a whole celebrity-obsessed culture. I never want to be seen as a celebrity. I would rather be seen as "this girl who is good at her work" - whether it's writing or directing or presenting.

I want people to say, "Oh, she's a good presenter" instead of "she's a celebrity" because usually when you're called a celebrity it's because you're not known for anything else. You're just famous for being famous.

There are some people we look at and we don't call them celebrities; we call them actresses or actors because that's the impact they make on you.

Who were your favourite Kokolettes in the house?

I don't know if I had favourites. There were some people that perhaps I laughed more with, or smiled at more but that was because when someone smiles at you, you smile back. I wasn't there to be their friend so I didn't really push.

What was it like working with D'banj and the rest of the Mo Hits Crew?

I had quite a bit of contact with D'Banj. He's so friendly. If he comes in two or three times a week he'll go round all the rooms backstage: the editing room, the sound room and the production room where I was, he'd shake everybody's hand and say "hello".

The other guys, I saw once or twice. They were also very pleasant. No big egos, surprisingly. They've been quite pleasant to work with. I've been trying to see if I can do other things with them and they've been enthusiastic.

Rita became everybody's celebrity. She's many people's favourite. At the same time many are offended by her. What did you get from Rita? What lessons do you think Nigeria has to learn from Rita?

I think that the situation with Rita, her popularity and everything - is a snapshot of Nigeria. It's all about sentiment and everyone just conveniently forgeting the objectives of the show. We were looking for the Ideal Nigerian Woman.

We stated that, even in the application form. People might say: OK, why did we put her in the house? Well, she applied. We had to put different kinds of people in the house.

Rita is not ideal.

People would be talking about how, "It doesn't matter that she's not educated. My grandmother or my mother was not educated. Are you telling me she's not ideal?"

Your mother and grandmother were born in the 50s and the 20s. This is 2009. Education is absolutely essential; I do not care whatever it is you want to be. I was one of the people who was offended that people thought [Rita] should have won.

She got as far as she did because of her popularity. It's great. Whether she won or not, like you said, she's already a star. If she wants, she can go as high as she pleases because she endeared herself to a lot of people. And there are endearing things about her.

Being in the house, I didn't get it. I would come to the house and I would hear things, on Facebook; and I would think to myself: is it the same person I'm watching and seeing?

She played a lot on sympathy: "I'm poor,  I come from this,  I don't know a lot,  I want to learn."

They were taught a lot of things while they were in the house, and I don't see that she took a lot of things on board. With the acceptance speech, the way she spelt mother was M-A-D-A and father was F-A-D-A. Two or three weeks before, they had been taught words that are often mispronounced.

Everybody took notes. So she had notes and it wasn't like it was [on the] spur of the moment. They were given time, so she could have gone back to her notes and checked the correct spellings. She did end up asking if it was correct spelling or not.

She had an inkling that it was wrong. If someone is willing to learn, they will correct themselves and they will learn. I just never saw that, so I feel that maybe she's not just academic. There's nothing wrong with that but I feel it was blown out of proportion.

Nigeria is never about merit. It's always about sentiment: "She's from my town, " or "this poor person, " It's ridiculous.

I am glad that Bolanle won. It has done our show proud. Bolanle is intelligent, very respectful and she's responsible. She can represent you and me any day. With Rita I'm not so sure.

Source:
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/ArtsandCulture/5465228-147/story.csp
Re: Koko Mansion Governess Chika Anadu Talks About Rita by aieromon(m): 12:08pm On Oct 14, 2009
undecided
If that remark 'bout Rita actually came from you,then i am disappointed in your professionalism
Re: Koko Mansion Governess Chika Anadu Talks About Rita by Dclique(m): 1:44pm On Oct 14, 2009
I think she spoke very about rita.

Its all about sentiments with we Nigerians. If she had won it, that will be what everyone will say.
Bolanle deserved it. She is a real example of an ideal kokolet.
Re: Koko Mansion Governess Chika Anadu Talks About Rita by Dclique(m): 1:50pm On Oct 14, 2009
I think she spoke very well* about rita.

Its all about sentiments with we Nigerians. If she had won it, that will be what everyone will say.
Bolanle deserved it. She is a real example of an ideal kokolet.
Re: Koko Mansion Governess Chika Anadu Talks About Rita by semid4lyfe(m): 8:16am On Oct 15, 2009
True! Well spoken - Rita played more on sentiments than anything else. I'm also glad Bolanle won.
Re: Koko Mansion Governess Chika Anadu Talks About Rita by semid4lyfe(m): 8:17am On Oct 15, 2009
True! Well spoken - Rita played more on sentiments than anything else. I'm also glad Bolanle won.
Re: Koko Mansion Governess Chika Anadu Talks About Rita by semid4lyfe(m): 8:55am On Oct 15, 2009
Re: Koko Mansion Governess Chika Anadu Talks About Rita by 9ja4eva: 11:26am On Oct 15, 2009
Dt woman na FOOL.She is not educated.She has no right to question anyone or talk about anyone's future.
Re: Koko Mansion Governess Chika Anadu Talks About Rita by aieromon(m): 4:34pm On Oct 15, 2009
A lack of professionalism,i repeat.
Talk about sentiment,which reality show does not revolve around one?For mess.s sake,Rita was tossed in to add fun into the show and she did just that.Check her fan stats and viewer patronage.Reality show is about playin' with the minds of TV viewers which translates to megabucks for the producer/s of the show.
I'm suprised Chika did not focus on her job and leave Rita to focus on her dumbness.
Maybe Rita has rubbed some stupidity into you,then lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

The Best Korea Series You Have Watched / Guys Please Can U List Sites I Can Download American Movies Pls / Download Latest Nollywood Movie Oloture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.