Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,335 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:57 AM

FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale (23782 Views)

Recession: FG Recants, To Dump Assets Sale Proposal- Lai Mohammed / Assets Sale: NLC To Protest Nationwide, Enlists 20 Lawyers / PENGASSAN Threatens Strike Over Assets Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by dre11(m): 5:27am On Sep 27, 2016
by Augustine Ehikioya,

Peterside, Soludo, NLC offer recipes

MORE facts are coming up on the Federal Government’s plans to sell some assets in a bid to push back the recession that has hit the economy.

Certain conditions must be met before the sale, which is expected to boost Nigeria’s foreign reserves – a critical factor for potential foreign investors.

The conditions, include: inserting a repurchasing clause in the assets sales agreements; and no outright sale of the yet unnamed assets.

A Presidency source, who pleaded not to be named, said: “The Federal Government has no plan to sell off its shares outright in the LNG, where it owns 49% shares. The balance 51% is owned by private foreign interests.

“The Federal Government doesn’t own the entire gas company and will certainly not sell off its entire shares, but it’s open to the possibility of selling down its 49% ownership by 5% or thereabout.”

On the repurchase clause, he said: “Just as in other potential asset sales, there would be a repurchase option that guarantees the Federal Government’s opportunity to buy back any such assets if circumstances change anytime in the future.”

While there have been no list drawn up for the proposed assets sales, the source said that there is also a clear decision not to sell any critical asset. He did not mention such assets.

He said: “Some of the intended sales could be in form of time-bound leases, advance renewal payments on leasing licences and concessioning which would attract buoyant signature fees.
“If we even want to sell down certain assets, while our target is to get foreign currency, specifically dollars, the option would also be opened to Nigerians at some point to buy limited shares through the Nigeria Stock Exchange.”

The source added that one of the concessioning deals almost completed is the East-West lines of the Nigeria Railways, with the General Electric-GE-being the concessionaire.

The source said the global giant would invest $2 billion in the economy, including for the refurbishment of the single-gauge lane of the lines that have been largely left idle for years.

GE under the deal, he said, is expected to hire back some of the laid off staff of Nigeria Railways and also open a Transport University in Nigeria while building/assembling train coaches in this country.

Under the deal, the source said the Federal Government would also receive a signature fee in foreign currency as it would in other assets that might be concessioned.

“The important thing to keep in mind is that the sales down of some of the assets is an option to raise the much-needed dollars at a critical time for the Nigerian economy,” the source noted, adding that if and when such a sale is done, “Nigerians can be sure that there would be no shady deal, considering the character of the Nigerian leadership at this time”.

The proposed plan to sell some national assets has generated excited comments especially after businessman Aliko Dangote called for the sale of the LNG last week, fuelling speculations that the Federal Government wanted to sell its entire share in the firm.

“Generally whatever we sell, we shall get real value for, and we shall include a repurchase clause into any such sales agreements,” the source said.

Some other experts have argued that there is a need to take some drastic steps to save Nigeria’s shrinking foreign reserves.
It is believed that an injection of about $15 billion into the reserves will have a positive impact on the economy.

The Federal Government’s plan to raise between $10 billion to $15billion quickly from asset sales “is imperative” as the monthly foreign earnings have dropped drastically to as low as about $300 million.

The government also has been losing about one million barrels of oil due to vandalisation of pipelines and installations by militants in the Niger Delta region.

http://thenationonlineng.net/recession-fed-govt-lists-conditions-assets-sale/

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by madridguy(m): 5:35am On Sep 27, 2016
No time for story. Don't sell nationals assets, Shikena.

53 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by trapQ: 5:38am On Sep 27, 2016
Government of dullards, by dullards and for dullards.

39 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by okwyee(m): 5:42am On Sep 27, 2016
grin I laugh in English, buhari ehn, just sell this country as a whole... when we were warning them about change, dem no allow us hear word, issorite... $1~N1000 by the time he'll spend 2 years in office..
rice N40,000 by December, I can't wait to see the yeye face my sai baba people will be carrying about... mtcheww

22 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by coolzeal(m): 5:44am On Sep 27, 2016
We lack the moral rights, accountability and transparency to sell off these shares. For instance, if some of these shares are sold to balance the budget deficit, I hope they won't sell another commodity in future to finance the coming year budget. What happened to all the recovered funds embezzled? Dasukigate? This country need to be retructure in regions.

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by SamuelAnyawu(m): 5:47am On Sep 27, 2016
Confused Government grin grin grin

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by Izonpikin: 6:04am On Sep 27, 2016
It came out as a rumor through dangote but right now it's slowly becoming a reality...Buhari ehn... cheesy

If you're not selling all of the government's share in the NLNG jv why sell it at all if not to make a particular man richer than he is??...

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by Izonpikin: 6:05am On Sep 27, 2016
coolzeal:
We lack the moral rights, accountability and transparency to sell off these shares. For instance, if some of these shares are sold to balance the budget deficit, I hope they won't sell another commodity in future to finance the coming year budget. What happened to all the recovered funds embezzled? Dasukigate? This country need to be retructure in regions.
gbam...I have said it a million times...restructure the country so that everybody fit see road and not just a few mofos. ..well its time for all of us to resist this madness looming...

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by stuff46(m): 6:07am On Sep 27, 2016
Do they even need to sell off this assets when they plan to borrow again or?

1 Like

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by chiedu7: 6:07am On Sep 27, 2016
[size=15pt]they want to take the assets of the south and sell to the northerners![/size]

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by saintjimos(m): 6:20am On Sep 27, 2016
tell me why I shouldn't refer dis govt to be working with other interests at heart..naso una wan carry south oil wel sell for north abi

the thunder were ko fire una d do press up

9 Likes

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by Agimor(m): 6:35am On Sep 27, 2016
So TSA is suddenly to the extent that we have to sell our assets to fund next year budget at this point I think Buhari and it's team are inept.

8 Likes

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by Abeymills(m): 6:54am On Sep 27, 2016
Buhari is a disaster n huge mistake

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by DaudaAbu(m): 7:13am On Sep 27, 2016
Following.....
Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by samx4real(m): 8:44am On Sep 27, 2016
Pls who is enjoying the sale of the National Electric Power Authority?

Who is enjoying 24 hours, 7days a week power supply?

How much are you paying per kilowatts hour? Times 2 right?

This is what will happen when Buhari and his people sell our national asset!

I see more hardship!

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by gurunlocker: 8:45am On Sep 27, 2016
Should I say God is punishing Nigeria with this government? I just read this crap article and I have to SMH..... Na person wey no get home training or bastards dey sell him papa house o.... You want to boost external reserve? If previous administration have been selling assets to boost reserves, what will be left now?

6 Likes

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by Shiifi(m): 8:45am On Sep 27, 2016
These early morning make I Siddon here read comment

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by RichYoungNigger(m): 8:45am On Sep 27, 2016
He wants to sell LNG to his brother and gay lover Aliko Dangote

Sell everything including the country, it will only affect the Amala and Ewedu eating Afonjas

My tribal mark having brothers from the South West don die

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by Turks: 8:45am On Sep 27, 2016
How in the world did we gain independence? Clearly, we're not ready for it.

4 Likes

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by geostrata(m): 8:45am On Sep 27, 2016
angry angry

i tot dy said dy were not selling it again? shocked shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by Kx: 8:45am On Sep 27, 2016
The thing is this:
If you insert repurchase clause to buy the assets back costly in the future- does that not tell you that the sale is not well conceived in the first place?
Secondly, you want to sell an asset to have money to spend, which assets are you expecting to yield revenues to finance the expected future buy back?

Finally, if you sell national assets to finance 2016 budget, what would you sell to finance 2017,2018,2019 etc budgets??

20 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by oluwasegun007(m): 8:46am On Sep 27, 2016
madridguy:
No time for story. Don't sale nationals assets, Shikena.

wadafuck........ shocked shocked shocked

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by Omeokachie: 8:46am On Sep 27, 2016
Madness!

The inmates are now running the assylum.

3 Likes

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by sanandreas(m): 8:46am On Sep 27, 2016
NlG is not for sale
Buyers beware.

3 Likes

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by Nobody: 8:47am On Sep 27, 2016
Nigeria.. Corruption and Tribalism is what kept us in this mess we are in....

3 Likes

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by Dyt(f): 8:47am On Sep 27, 2016
Awon eleribu
Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by oluwasegun007(m): 8:47am On Sep 27, 2016
please make it public whenever they are up for sale......maybe those old asset could be useful for me.

1 Like

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by Romancer(m): 8:47am On Sep 27, 2016

7 Likes

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by BobUg28(m): 8:49am On Sep 27, 2016
Smh for Apc government

3 Likes

Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by galaxy4rep(m): 8:49am On Sep 27, 2016
OK, change..
Re: FG Lists Conditions For Assets Sale by Optimum20: 8:51am On Sep 27, 2016
Sometime ago Lagos state divested its interest in Econet as it was then called. Lagos was suffering from the withholding of its funds by Obj. Lagos used the money to do some stuff and some went ...... Delta state did the same divestment and Ibori did what he knows to do best.
Nigeria has 35,000 km of federally constructed roads. As at today only about 6,000 are good, 11,000 passable and the rest in deplorable conditions. Many can be death traps based on our driving culture.

Water irrigation in Nigeria is less than 8% of arable land. Successive lip service to irrigation keeps the farming at subsistence levels. Crop growing is still seasonal.

The current Federal education infrastructure gap is horrific. Ironically there are funds trapped in the UBE system not accessed by states.
That we lack primary health care is to state the obvious. After Professor Olikoye Ransome Kuti under the IBB regime, no serious attention has been paid to primary health care.

One good thing the GEJ administration did was to improve aviation safe through the deployment of Tracon. The Airports though are beyond the second century. Muritala Mohammed is a blight on the face of Lagos.

When Fashola planted flowers in Lagos, Lagosians complained loudly. One day I was in the company of Rohr the Country head of WB then and he said that beautification of Lagos improved its ranking on the doing business index.

The point, you need money to make money. You want to diversify revenue, you need cash to do it.
There are challenges here. Cash alone will not do it. But go see business plans that litter dustbins because the ideas could not get seed funding.

11 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Tears Flow Freely As Remains Of The 18th Sultan, Dasuki Buried / Customs Raid Fraisier Hotels, Impound 11 Vehicles / Obi Recounts Last Week's Activities, Assures Nigerians Of His Commitment...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.