Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,298 members, 7,815,531 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:04 PM

I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo (1109 Views)

The Real Meaning Of NNPC And DSS By Reno Omokri / President Buhari Inaugurates Boards Of NNPC, NCDMB & NNRA (photos) / Buhari Sacks Kachikwu As GMD Of NNPC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by mamabomboy: 12:31am On Sep 28, 2016
FORMER President, Chief Olusegun
Obasanjo has thrown his weight behind call for
the sale of national assets to raise money by the
Federal Government, but, cautioned the
government against selling them to cabals.
Obasanjo also said he foresaw the current
economic recession two years ago and warned of
its consequences.
The former President said this, yesterday, at the
opening session of a two-day National Council of
Finance and Economic Development conference
held at the Green Legacy Resort, Olusegun
Obasanjo Presidential Library, Abeokuta.
The conference was held in conjunction with
Federal Ministry of Finance with the conference
theme: Enhancing Revenue Generation and
Obtaining best value for money in expenditure.
The former president, who identified port
authorities and Nigeria National Petroleum
Corporation, as part of assets that Nigeria could
partly sell to generate fund, said: “I think the
problem is in the coinage selling of asset as if we
want to throw away our inheritance.
His words: “Look, the Nigeria National Petroleum
Corporation, NNPC, was run as personal things,
even the Central Bank was also run that way.
They write notes to the Central Bank to release so
much. We cannot have a country run that way.
We started NNPC about the same time Norway
started and look at where we are.
I said it this morning, two institutions that were
not tampered badly or not tampered at all in the
last six years, was NLNG, the second one was
pension fund which is going to about N6 trillion
which has captured only seven million people out
of over 20 million wage earners, if we can even
double that, you imagine what that can be.”
Continuing, the former president said: “I see no
reason why 48 percent of NNPC cannot be
privatised. Don’t give it out to cabals, friends,
relations, kiths and kins, let it go public so that
even my driver can buy 10 per cent of NNPC and
there should be limit to the share any individual
or any cooperate organisation can buy, there is
nothing wrong in that. The NNPC will then be run
as NLNG was run.”
While calling on the Federal government to be
transparent in the sale of the assets, he said “The
only fear the people would entertain is the
magomago, if there is no ‘magomago’ in it and it
is transparent, yes. And when the money comes,
the way it will be spent, yes, and when you have
money and you want to buy again, yes.
I don’t see anything there, government should
not feel shy, lets come out and say ‘this is what
we are doing and this is why we are doing it’ and
let people see and if anybody wants to ask
questions, let them ask question, that is the way I
see it and if any person is not happy about what I
said, I have no apologies.”
On the way out, he said the major problem with
Nigeria is that “we are spending more than we
are earning and we have not been able to save for
the rainy day.”
He suggested a three-fold solution; which
includes: borrowing, spending less and earning
more to solve the nation’s economic challenges.
www.vanguardngr.com/2016/09/selling-national-assets-not-bad-obasanjo/
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by mykoscar007: 12:44am On Sep 28, 2016
Baba....you've been very loud lately...

hmmmmm......my question is

who you Epp?

2 Likes

Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by SamuelAnyawu(m): 12:50am On Sep 28, 2016
I will like Government to sell of all its assets to allow more capable private individuals to run those companies..

But I'm scared the money accrued from such sales will find its way back to the pockets of APC saints.... grin grin

Don't Sell

2 Likes

Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by mamabomboy: 1:09am On Sep 28, 2016
Whatever you and Saraki are planning, will fail and God will punish the both of you.

1 Like

Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by Dandsome: 4:15am On Sep 28, 2016
Obj, the biggest problem of Nigeria after buhari
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by Boleyndynasty2(f): 4:32am On Sep 28, 2016
Imagine what this old man is saying, assume you sold off 48% during your tenure, GEJ sold another 48% I bet PMB will now sell the remaining 4% and also sell Part of Nigeria and it's citizens abi?

I just don't understand this country and how the elites reason, there're people against this and also offering advice of things to do other than sell off assets but instead of bringing them close and put them to work Buhari will form deaf and dumb like he isn't hearing their shouts.All he hears are the evil men calling for the sale of National assets. This administration hasn't even thought of reducing cost of governance, diversify the economy(what ever happened to the large deposit of nickel?) undecided
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by sarrki(m): 4:46am On Sep 28, 2016
mykoscar007:
Baba....you've been very loud lately...

hmmmmm......my question is

who you Epp?

He helped in destroying Ojukwu

He also helped in destroying that No 1 terrorist named

Kanu

2 Likes

Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by eemalex(m): 5:13am On Sep 28, 2016
Obasanjo the leader of the gang that destroyed Nigeria for 16 years........ He should keep kwayet
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by sarrki(m): 5:14am On Sep 28, 2016
mamabomboy:
Whatever you and Saraki are planning, will fail and God will punish the both of you.

So baba now is the president?

You didn't even mentioned Ekwerenmadu that is the

Deputy senate president

2 Likes

Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by trapQ: 5:17am On Sep 28, 2016
Foolish people
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by TPAND(f): 5:51am On Sep 28, 2016
Obasanjo please keep quiet. You guys ruined this country, now you think selling what is left of it, as the way out.

Don't sell of our national assets because we are hungry. This sin is more grievous than the sun of Esau. Posterity will never forgive us if we do.
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by proeast(m): 5:55am On Sep 28, 2016
This baboon & his holier than thou attitude is the height of hypocrisy. So he has become this illiterate that he cant write open letters again that used to be his hobby!
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by veekid(m): 5:59am On Sep 28, 2016
All these old men ruling Nigeria like it's their father's company...... there's God o

1 Like

Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by pacino26(m): 6:00am On Sep 28, 2016
I see no reason why Obasanjo can't give 50% of his net worth to Nigeria. After all, he got all them wealth after been the president.
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by 1shortblackboy: 6:26am On Sep 28, 2016
And who has d money to buy NNPC, NPA, and LNG? Thesame people who ensured it never worked. The fraud is too much o
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by Kingsley1000(m): 6:36am On Sep 28, 2016
any asset that is not working should be sold with immediate effect...the proceeds will be used to fund other projects
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by rayblast(m): 6:40am On Sep 28, 2016
Obasanjo it is simple, u are Agbetileta 1of Nigeria. Wetin u no sell Wen u dey there? Even Iyabo ur daughter u no sell am? Agbaya o shi
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by Caseless: 6:45am On Sep 28, 2016
we did that in the past and it has not helped us.
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by Larryfest(m): 7:05am On Sep 28, 2016
I see no reason why our leader can't just return the looted money in their acct,imagine if the likes of Obj,Atiku,Ibb,Gej,Pmb and others gather together their wealth to bail this country out of recession wunt it ok even considering it's the money they stole and not theirs but they wunt,they would rather be passing the blame ball to one another even when it's obvious they all gathered around to destroy this country..
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by Larryfest(m): 7:08am On Sep 28, 2016
Kingsley1000:
any asset that is not working should be sold with immediate effect...the proceeds will be used to fund other projects
Nah,the proceeds will be shared among the "LORDS" of the country..
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by Flyingngel(m): 7:11am On Sep 28, 2016
Can't this Man retire from active politics? When u see him supporting anything bad knw that there is a sinister motive underneath.
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by funlord(m): 7:22am On Sep 28, 2016
Why did this otondo also not sell the 48% when he was president for 8 years?

Or was the stake missing then?
Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by Nobody: 8:04am On Sep 28, 2016
sarrki:

So baba now is the president?

You didn't even mentioned Ekwerenmadu that is the

Deputy senate president

Very silly, you are quick to mention Jonathan anytime things go wrong in Nigeria, Or is Jonathan still the president??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I See No Reason Why 48% Of NNPC Can't Be Sold: Obasanjo by Toeyoursea(m): 8:33am On Sep 28, 2016
Makes some sense. But there are many other creative ways to get money though.

(1) (Reply)

Biafra: Nnamdi Kanu Set To Slug It Out With Buhari At The Ecowas Court / How Aisha Buhari 's Friend Exploited Federal Airports Authority Of Nigeria / Shiite Islamic Group Reportedly Killed Clerics, Attacked Zaria Emir

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.