Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,042 members, 7,825,307 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 11:22 AM

What Do You Think? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Do You Think? (2451 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 6:24pm On Oct 19, 2009
Nezan:

Must you lie to distort the truth? Paul disclosed that he went to Jerusalem after 3 years. Thereafter he went preaching and visited Jerusalem again 14 years after he was preaching with Barnabbas.
In any case, there is no contradiction in the narration of Paul's conversion, the basic facts are:
1. Paul persecuted Christians.
2. Jesus (whom you deny) appeared to him and converted him.
3. He did not went to Jerusalem immediately.
4. He later went to Jerusalem.
5. He met with the Apostles before he began his ministry.

Both Luke and Paul's accounts follow this chronological order. No cause for alarm.

Did you read the link I posted and read the stories again in the bible to see the discrepancy?
Re: What Do You Think? by Nezan(m): 6:31pm On Oct 19, 2009
As for witches and wizards they are also myths that eixts in the african culture. . . I live in europe and such myths have now been relagated to the pages of the history books. . . .witches only exist in cultures that accept the myth. . . . .I have never claimed to be more intelligent than anybody here. . .why do you guys always feel the need to talk about intelligence when ever you are asked to substatiate your claims? What is a soul do you have any evidence to show that a soul exist let alone it being destroyed by this mythical devil you are yet to provide any evidence for his existence?
When next you visit, try going to your village and you will be shocked to discover that witches are not myths, they are real and are just agents of the devil. I pray that Jesus will use this forum to open your eyes one day.
Re: What Do You Think? by Nezan(m): 6:35pm On Oct 19, 2009
How does a thing such as the devil exist in the hearts of atheist?
Because it is a spirit, a bad one at that, that controls your thoughts to reject God with the ultimate aim of destroying your soul.
Re: What Do You Think? by Nezan(m): 6:39pm On Oct 19, 2009
Did you read the link I posted and read the stories again in the bible to see the discrepancy?
I think I addressed this issue, if you have points to refute this, lets trash them out.
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 6:49pm On Oct 19, 2009
Nezan:

When next you visit, try going to your village and you will be shocked to discover that witches are not myths, they are real and are just agents of the devil. I pray that Jesus will use this forum to open your eyes one day.

I have actually done that. . . .I once beat up the most revered juju man in my mum's village and he vowed that he will turn me into a forg and promised me that I will never ever return to europe aagain as long as he is alive. . .I have been in and out of Nigeria more than 20 times after he made that vow. . .juju, witches and wizards only exist in cultures that give the mythical beings power and infulence. . . there is absolutely NO evidence at all to show that witches exist. . . .I live in europe and the myth has been relegated to ancient historical books. . . .

Nezan:

Because it is a spirit, a bad one at that, that controls your thoughts to reject God with the ultimate aim of destroying your soul.

You are just making claims that have no basis in reality. . .I am not making a choice to disobey any god everyday. I simply chose to disbelieve all the stories you have provided as evidence for your god based on the FACT that they have no evidence at all and also based on the fact that some of the stories have been shown to be false. . .I actually do not have a soul because there is no evidence at all for it. . . .and we know that absence of evidence is evidence of absence. . . . 

If you want to believe in all your mythical claims fine but you have no right to castigate those that do not share your myths. . . .
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 6:53pm On Oct 19, 2009
Nezan:

I think I addressed this issue, if you have points to refute this, lets trash them out.

Fair enough. . .The time line and what immediately happened to paul is very different when you read about the accounts in the book of acts and in the book of galatians. . . .I still maintain that the two conversion stories of paul in the book of acts cancel each other out. . . .
Re: What Do You Think? by DeepSight(m): 7:18pm On Oct 19, 2009
Mazaje -

Is it your position that only physical things exist?

If so, might i enquire if you have ever felt love.

If you have, is it a physical thing?

Does it exist?

And if it exists, in what part of your physical body does it exist?
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 7:29pm On Oct 19, 2009
Deep Sight:

Mazaje -

Is it your position that only physical things exist?

When have I ever said that?

If so, might i enquire if you have ever felt love.

If you have, is it a physical thing?

Does it exist?

And if it exists, in what part of your physical body does it exist?

Love is not a supernatural claim. . . and it is very different to all the god/supernatural claims we hear but never see all the time. . . Read a bit of anthropology and sociology. Nearly every culture has produced a religion or two throughout its history and in each case the "God" (or gods, usually) tend to like the same things the people like, and dislike/hate the things they hate. and the definition of god shifts and changes as the believers need it to. . . .People have always wanted some explanation for the things of the world that are frightening storms, natural disasters, famine, the death of tribe members and the early peoples built their pantheon of gods and stories to explain these things away. . . .this is the explanation for the thousands and thousands of "gods" that we have through out human history. . . . Feeling exist and it can be felt. . . .gods and supernatural claims only exist in the form of stories only.  . . .
Re: What Do You Think? by DeepSight(m): 7:36pm On Oct 19, 2009
^^^ Great, no problems with this, i agree with you.

My issue is you make points that suggest that you do not accept the existence of anything spiritual. For example you said there is no evidence that souls exist.

That's why i ask you about love. Is it the physical body that feels love?

If not, then what feels love, tell me.
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 7:56pm On Oct 19, 2009
Deep Sight:

^^^ Great, no problems with this, i agree with you.

My issue is you make points that suggest that you do not accept the existence of anything spiritual. For example you said there is no evidence that souls exist.

That's why i ask you about love. Is it the physical body that feels love?

If not, then what feels love, tell me.

Neuroscience has explained a lot about emotions like anger, love.,happiness and sadness. . . . all these things are controlled by the brian that is why a person who is unconcious can never experince or display any of these emotions. . .Love is the is an emotional feeling and is controlled by the brian. . . .The right hemisphere of the brain is the side that controls our emotions, creativity, and visual/spacial abilities. . .this hemisphere controls our artistic side, and our emotions, Our frontal lobe is the executive part of the brian. . . . It regulates impulse control and basic thought. Love is an emotion we feel, not something we can see or touch. It is purely emotional, the actions of love we can see. . .so love is an emotional feeling that is controlled by our brians and our consiousness feels it. . . .
Re: What Do You Think? by DeepSight(m): 8:08pm On Oct 19, 2009
mazaje:

Neuroscience has explained a lot about emotions like anger, love.,happiness and sadness. . . . all these things are controlled by the brian that is why a person who is unconcious can never experince or display any of these emotions. . .Love is the is an emotional feeling and is controlled by the brian. . . .The right hemisphere of the brain is the side that controls our emotions, creativity, and visual/spacial abilities. . .this hemisphere controls our artistic side, and our emotions, Our frontal lobe is the executive part of the brian. . . . It regulates impulse control and basic thought. Love is an emotion we feel, not something we can see or touch. It is purely emotional, the actions of love we can see. . .so love is an emotional feeling that is controlled by our brians and our consiousness feels it. . . .

Neuroscience does no such thing Mazaje.

Neuro science shows us the effects and visible impulses within the brain of the impressions that the brain receives.

If Neuroscience controls such impulses, then you would fall in love with every beautiful woman you set eyes on, as the brain would set to work and "create" the feeling for you.

Get real Mazaje.

mazaje:

that is why a person who is unconcious can never experince or display any of these emotions. . .

Really? And unconscious persons have not been known to have dreams in which they experience powerful emotions?

Seriously, Mazaje.

No - Seriously now.
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 9:44pm On Oct 19, 2009
Deep Sight:

Neuroscience does no such thing Mazaje.

Neuro science shows us the effects and visible impulses within the brain of the impressions that the brain receives.

Neuro science explains behavior in terms of the activities of the brain and the nervous system. . . . . .

If Neuroscience controls such impulses, then you would fall in love with every beautiful woman you set eyes on, as the brain would set to work and "create" the feeling for you.

Learn to read. . . .how does neuro science control anything? The brian controls impulses and all emotions and it has been empirically demonstarted to be true. . . . .if you have any evidence to show that there is any part of the body besides the brian that controls emotion feel free to bring it on. . . .

Get real Mazaje.

Really? And unconscious persons have not been known to have dreams in which they experience powerful emotions?

Seriously, Mazaje.

No - Seriously now.

Hope you know that the braın controls our ability to dream. . . . . dreams are controlled by the brain. . .
Re: What Do You Think? by noetic15(m): 9:47pm On Oct 19, 2009
mazaje:

Hope you know that the braın controls our ability to dream. . . . . dreams are controlled by the brain. . .

have I not exposed the ignorance of this assertion? shocked
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 9:50pm On Oct 19, 2009
noetic15:

have I not exposed the ignorance of this assertion? shocked

How? . . . .You only made baseless claims and when I asked you some simple questions you ran away. . . .
Re: What Do You Think? by noetic15(m): 9:59pm On Oct 19, 2009
mazaje:

How?  . . . .You only made baseless claims and when I asked you some simple questions you ran away. . . .

really? 

Let me repeat my question here.

A man (lets say his name his mazzagee) had a dream, in that dream a white man (whom mazzagee had never met or seen before) with an irish accent walked up to him. the white dude asked him how he was, and gave him 20 pounds. the white dude was wearing a designer green suit from tommy hilfiger. Two days the dream came to pass as exactly dreamed.

If u claim that the brain generates dreams. . I ask u.
a. how did the brain form the image of the white dude?
b. how did the brain detect that the dude was white? how did the brain form the dude's irish accent?
c. how did the brain conceive that the dude was going to give mazzagee 20 pounds?
d. how did the brain figure out that the dude was going to be wearing a green tommy suit?

. . ,  . I await your answers with deep breadth
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 10:03pm On Oct 19, 2009
noetic15:

really? 

Let me repeat my question here.

A man (lets say his name his mazzagee) had a dream, in that dream a white man (whom mazzagee had never met or seen before) with an irish accent walked up to him. the white dude asked him how he was, and gave him 20 pounds. the white dude was wearing a designer green suit from tommy hilfiger. Two days the dream came to pass as exactly dreamed.

If u claim that the brain generates dreams. . I ask u.
a. how did the brain form the image of the white dude?
b. how did the brain detect that the dude was white? how did the brain form the dude's irish accent?
c. how did the brain conceive that the dude was going to give mazzagee 20 pounds?
d. how did the brain figure out that the dude was going to be wearing a green tommy suit?

. . ,  . I await your answers with deep breadth

I asked you a very simple question and you ran away on the other thread. . . . . is this a hypothetical senario or what?
Re: What Do You Think? by noetic15(m): 10:06pm On Oct 19, 2009
mazaje:

I asked you a very simple question and you ran away on the other thread. . . . . is this a hypothetical senario or what?

grin grin grin ur question is irrelevant. why not just answer the simple question?
how about saying. . . . , "I DONT KNOW" grin grin grin no one is going to crucify u for being ignorant grin grin
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 10:09pm On Oct 19, 2009
noetic15:

grin grin grin your question is irrelevant. why not just answer the simple question?
how about saying. .  . . , "I DONT KNOW"  grin grin grin no one is going to crucify u for being ignorant  grin grin

Ignorant of what exactly?. . . . .Lots of people make wild claims all the time. There is never a shortage of anecdotal stories. . . . just a shortage of verifiable evidence.
Re: What Do You Think? by noetic15(m): 10:10pm On Oct 19, 2009
mazaje:

Ignorant of what exactly?. . . . .Lots of people make wild claims all the time. There is never a shortage of anecdotal stories. . . . just a shortage of verifiable evidence.

and what is ur answer to my questions? grin grin
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 10:14pm On Oct 19, 2009
noetic15:

and what is your answer to my questions? grin grin

You want me to answer some hypothetical questions that I personally consider not to be true? All anecdotal evidence and claims are generally discarded because human beings are extremely unreliable, . . . Even eye-witness claims have been shown to be almost useless in some cases.
Re: What Do You Think? by noetic15(m): 10:33pm On Oct 19, 2009
mazaje:

You want me to answer some hypothetical questions that I personally consider not to be true? All anecdotal evidence and claims are generally discarded because human beings are extremely unreliable, . . . Even eye-witness claims have been shown to be almost useless in some cases.

there is nothing in my post that suggests a claim that requires an evidence. all thats in there is a simple question.
do u have an answer? . . . . .its ok to say "I DONT KNOW" , . , . , ignorance is allowed grin grin I laugh in italian grin
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 11:04pm On Oct 19, 2009
noetic15:

there is nothing in my post that suggests a claim that requires an evidence. all thats in there is a simple question.
do u have an answer? . . . . .its ok to say "I DONT KNOW" , . , . , ignorance is allowed grin grin I laugh in italian grin

I aksed you a simple question. . . . is your anectdote a hypothetical senario or not?
Re: What Do You Think? by noetic15(m): 10:50am On Oct 20, 2009
mazaje:

I aksed you a simple question. . . . is your anectdote a hypothetical senario or not?

what u make of the question is largely irrelevant. . .just produce a simple answer. . , u are exhibiting pride. why are u afraid of revealing ur ignorance? grin grin
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 11:14am On Oct 20, 2009
noetic15:

what u make of the question is largely irrelevant. . .just produce a simple answer. . , u are exhibiting pride. why are u afraid of revealing your ignorance? grin grin

I laugh in hausa grin. . . . what has pride got to do with this? You asked me a hypothetical question and now you are crying because I refuse to answer grin grin
Re: What Do You Think? by Nezan(m): 11:39am On Oct 20, 2009
^^ On a more serious note mazaje, you need Jesus in your life. It can never be too late!
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 12:04pm On Oct 20, 2009
Nezan:

^^ On a more serious note mazaje, you need Jesus in your life. It can never be too late!

grin grin. . . . .You believe in the jesus story? Fine. . . . . . what you are not allowed to do is feel that every body needs to believe in the story too. . . .If you were born into a muslim family from zamraza state I know you will be all over me telling me how I need to accept the stories of the Koran. . . .
Re: What Do You Think? by DeepSight(m): 12:40pm On Oct 20, 2009
^^^ Men! Mazaje, it was entirely comical seeing how desperate you were above to avoid answering Noetic's question! Haba, you cant be that afraid, surely. . . ?

Since when did rational debaters shy from EVEN hypothetical questions? Are hypothetical questions not the life-blood of analogy? ? ?

You running away from the question was even more comical because YOU yourelf have stated to me on this Forum that you have had dreams that came to pass as well. Now suddenly you state that you "personally consider it not to be true. . . !"

Lets at least always be straight-forward, even if it means conceding some points to the other party!

The truth is you can never rationalize predictive dreams as being the product of the brain only!
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 1:07pm On Oct 20, 2009
Deep Sight:

^^^ Men! Mazaje, it was entirely comical seeing how desperate you were above to avoid answering Noetic's question! Haba, you cant be that afraid, surely. . . ?

Since when did rational debaters shy from EVEN hypothetical questions? Are hypothetical questions not the life-blood of analogy? ? ?

You running away from the question was even more comical because YOU yourelf have stated to me on this Forum that you have had dreams that came to pass as well. Now suddenly you state that you "personally consider it not to be true. . . !"

Lets at least always be straight-forward, even if it means conceding some points to the other party!

The truth is you can never rationalize predictive dreams as being the product of the brain only!

First of all. . .I do not deal with hypothetical situations because they are of no use in this discussion. . .I have had dreams that came to pass and I consider them to be a coincidence nothing more. . . so many people have had that experience regardless of their location, culture and religion, race etc. . . .Most people dream about what preoccupies their thoughts. . . I once had a dream where I lied to my step dad in the dream and he gave me money($3000). . . the next day. . .I went to him told him a lie, requested for the money and he gave me the money($3000). . . what has that got to do with the supernatural?. . . . It was just a coincidence and nothing more. . . . .
Re: What Do You Think? by DeepSight(m): 1:21pm On Oct 20, 2009
^^^ You are still being evasive.

Noetic set out his question carefully. In doing so, note that he constructed a very precise scenario - such that it is not just one event (like in your example) that is at issue - rather a whole sequence of events which replay themselves in reality to precision, along a paticular pattern already seen in a dream.

Thus if i have a dream that i fall down my staircase, and shortly after, i do fall down my staircase, it is possible for you to argue that that is a mere coincidence.

BUT - If i have a dream that i fall down my stairwell, and break my ankle, and a strange italian man rushes to my aid, and he is wearing a red necklace, and he carries me out, and once out i see his green mercedes parked outside my gate, and we get into it, and there is seated in the car an angolan woman, and the woman is carrying a baby boy, and we drive off to the hospital, and at the hospital i fall down again at the entrance and break my wrist, and on getting to the Doctor's office we are told there is no space and to come back the next day, and as we drive home we have another accident. . .

If all the essentials of this dream playout in reality, then it is most difficult, nay, impossible to argue that this is a co-incidence.

Because of the sequence of events.

Have you studied the mathematics of sequential probabilities?
Re: What Do You Think? by PastorAIO: 1:23pm On Oct 20, 2009
mazaje:

First of all. . .I do not deal with hypothetical situations because they are of no use in this discussion. . .I have had dreams that came to pass and I consider them to be a coincidence nothing more. . . so many people have had that experience regardless of their location, culture and religion, race etc. . . .Most people dream about what preoccupies their thoughts. . . I once had a dream where I lied to my step dad in the dream and he gave me money($3000). . . the next day. . .I went to him told him a lie, requested for the money and he gave me the money($3000). . . what has that got to do with the supernatural?. . . . It was just a coincidence and nothing more. . . . .

statistically speaking how often should a dream come true before we can consider it significant?
Re: What Do You Think? by mazaje(m): 1:25pm On Oct 20, 2009
Pastor AIO:

statistically speaking how often should a dream come true before we can consider it significant?

I don't know. . . . . Actually it depends on what you call significant. . . .
Re: What Do You Think? by DeepSight(m): 1:28pm On Oct 20, 2009
Deep Sight:

^^^ You are still being evasive.

Noetic set out his question carefully. In doing so, note that he constructed a very precise scenario - such that it is not just one event (like in your example) that is at issue - rather a whole sequence of events which replay themselves in reality to precision, along a paticular pattern already seen in a dream.

Thus if i have a dream that i fall down my staircase, and shortly after, i do fall down my staircase, it is possible for you to argue that that is a mere coincidence.

BUT - If i have a dream that i fall down my stairwell, and break my ankle, and a strange italian man rushes to my aid, and he is wearing a red necklace, and he carries me out, and once out i see his green mercedes parked outside my gate, and we get into it, and there is seated in the car an angolan woman, and the woman is carrying a baby boy, and we drive off to the hospital, and at the hospital i fall down again at the entrance and break my wrist, and on getting to the Doctor's office we are told there is no space and to come back the next day, and as we drive home we have another accident. . .

If all the essentials of this dream playout in reality, then it is most difficult, nay, impossible to argue that this is a co-incidence.

Because of the sequence of events.

Have you studied the mathematics of sequential probabilities?

@ Mazaje - I repeat: have you ever studies the mathematics of sequential probabilities? ? ?

@ Pastor AIO - In my case virtually all my dreams come to pass, that's why i am pressing this point. It is clear that there is something external that transmits those images to the brain, and not necessarily that the Brain generates them all by itself based on exsting thoughts, such as Mazaje is trying to suggest.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Prayers For Nigeria: / Consequence Of Idleness To The Body Of Christ / Hubble Space Telescope Images And The Glory Of GOD - This Is Not A Coincidence

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.