Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,189 members, 7,818,614 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:51 PM

How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? (13028 Views)

50 Courses You Can Study Without Credit In Mathematics / 3 Nigerians Top The World In Mathematics / Professor's Wife Bags Ph.d In Mathematics, Son Bags Degree In Engineering. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by MattChidi(m): 1:38pm On Sep 30, 2016
Make it interesting, they will love it and learn in the process.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by zicoraads: 1:42pm On Sep 30, 2016
Use videos...get interesting videos online. And then make sure it's videos they can relate to. Also try using visual aids, hands on materials. And anything they work on by way of hands on materials, put it up in the class and leave it there for awhile.

You could tweak sums and shape them or use everyday things they can relate to like their favorite ice cream, chocolates etc.

Finally, group them and make sure those that find it hard to get 'there' are working on sums with those that find it easier to.

And then pray to God and commit the little ones to Him.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Wryhder: 1:43pm On Sep 30, 2016
Davash222:

My dear, the problem is not from you. Mathematics is Boring, I can bet my birthday cake that 85% of us here are victims of this situation .. Who takes mathematics serious
Mathematics is NOT boring. I did not feel this way in secondary school, trust me. I was a very lazy student. Still am, for that matter. But I began studying math on my own after I was admitted into the university because I realized I was missing out on learning a lot of things because of my reluctance to work at anything requiring more than a little effort. If you apply yourself to it because you want to, and not because you have to pass it, you'll love it.

It also helps to have a reason for studying it. Find out its areas of application. Get yourself interested in any field that requires knowledge of math. That'll be your motivation.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by fernandoc(m): 1:45pm On Sep 30, 2016
Davash222:

My dear, the problem is not from you. Mathematics is Boring, I can bet my birthday cake that 85% of us here are victims of this situation .. Who takes mathematics serious
Say ur blqck head no fit comprehend Maths u dey her dey display madness. Maths is exciting my friend, it's only boring to lazy pple.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Wryhder: 1:47pm On Sep 30, 2016
Demigods666:

It's not boring

And it's very important because
Math is important in everyday life for several reasons, which include preparation for a career, developing problem-solving skills, improving analytical skills and increasing mental acuity. On a daily basis, people are presented with different forms of data that must be organized and absorbed in order to make decisions. Daily activities such as making purchases, saving money, planning for retirement, choosing insurance and calculating expenses require math skills.

And OP change your teaching method, try to break it down bit by bit and as you teach ask them if they understand and what they don't understand they should ask

And also let them know why they should learn maths.

Its like the foundation of life, foundation of almost everything else.

You said it.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Wryhder: 2:01pm On Sep 30, 2016
salabscholar01:
Mathematics is the simplest of the subjects! The logic is this: Mathematics can never be taught telegraphically! You must learn to transfer the idea as simpler as possible for the kids to be able to assimilate. Here, I will highlight some key process for you to benefit.

Though, It all depends on the mode of the explanation of the concept in question. And the level of the students matters too. Your teaching methodology and behavioral aspects count too. I have taught in schools and colleges before, across different age brackets. For instance, The procedures use to teaching a primary 6 is not applicable to teaching those kids in Nur. 1, vis-a-vis.

Here are some activities for your classroom to add a bit of sparkle and creativity. As children work, ask critical questions such as "Did you try this?" "What would have happened if?" "Do you think you could?" to enhance children's understanding of mathematical ideas and vocabulary.

Use dramatizations . Invite children pretend to be in a ball (sphere) or box (rectangular prism), feeling the faces, edges, and corners and to dramatize simple arithmetic problems such as: Three frogs jumped in the pond, then one more, how many are there in all?

Use children's bodies. Suggest that children show how many feet, mouths, and so on they have. When asked to show their "three arms," they respond loudly in protest, and then tell the adult how many they do have and show ("prove"wink it. Then invite children to show numbers with fingers, starting with the familiar, "How old are you?" to showing numbers you say, to showing numbers in different ways (for example, five as three on one hand and two on the other).

Use children's play. Engage children in block play that allows them to do mathematics in numerous ways, including sorting, seriating, creating symmetric designs and buildings, making patterns, and so forth. Then introduce a game of Dinosaur Shop. Suggest that children pretend to buy and sell toy dinosaurs or other small objects, learning counting, arithmetic, and money concepts.

Use children's toys. Encourage children to use "scenes" and toys to act out situations such as three cars on the road, or, later in the year, two monkeys in the trees and two on the ground.

Use children's stories. Share books with children that address mathematics but are also good stories. Later, help children see mathematics in any book. In Blueberries for Sal, by Robert McCloskey (Penguin, 1993), children can copy "kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk!" and later tell you the number as you slowly drop up to four counters into a coffee can.
Use children's natural creativity. Children's ideas about mathematics should be discussed with all children. Here's a "mathematical conversation" between two boys, each 6 years of age: "Think of the biggest number you can. Now add five. Then, imagine if you had that many cupcakes." " Wow, that's five more than the biggest number you could come up with!"

Use children's problem-solving abilities. Ask children to describe how they would figure out problems such as getting just enough scissors for their table or how many snacks they would need if a guest were joining the group. Encourage them to use their own fingers or manipulatives or whatever else might be handy for problem solving.

Use a variety of strategies. Bring mathematics everywhere you go in your classroom, from counting children at morning meeting to setting the table, to asking children to clean up a given number or shape of items. Also, use a research-based curriculum to incorporate a sequenced series of learning activities into your program.

Use technology. Try digital cameras to record children's mathematical work, in their play and in planned activities, and then use the photographs to aid discussions and reflections with children, curriculum planning, and communication with parents. Use computers wisely to mathematize situations and provide individualized instruction.

Use assessments to measure children's mathematics learning. Use observations, discussions with children, and small-group activities to learn about children's mathematical thinking and to make informed decisions about what each child might be able to learn from future experiences. Also try computer assessments. Use programs that assess children automatically

1 Like

Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by smarttm: 2:01pm On Sep 30, 2016
I want to comment because i know exactly what your problem is...
you are to teach and assist them in school,then the parents should assist them to do their home work with the aid of the solved examples either by you or in the text book...
You too have to do some research,understand it and make sure you teach mathematics like any other subject ...i personally assist and teach my son mathematics...
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by benjibabs(m): 2:22pm On Sep 30, 2016
Chiamakah:
Dear Nairalanders,
Good evening readers, I am currently very disturbed and here is my story.
I am a class teacher in a primary school and I recently discovered that my pupils have a challenge in Mathematics, I am determined to change their situation so I have been employing different teaching methodology known to me, recently I discovered, through the feedbacks from their parent, that this has not been working.
When I give them class work they do it correctly in class with little assistance, but in the case of assignment they hardly can do it on their own. These are pupils who perform well in other subjects, I cant point out where the problem is whether its with me the teacher or them the pupils. Pls any one with an idea on methodology that can be used should please help. I really feel for them, I have my own children.

What class are they? Do they understand the basics? Foundation is very important when it comes to math as each school year builds on the previous one.

One sure way to get students to do better in math is to teach them using games they like; in a nut shell, make it fun.

Like my dad used to put it, below are the three ingredients needed to be good in math:
1.) Practice
2.) Constant Practice
3.) Constant vigorous Practice

Are their parents also helping at home? Reinforcing what they learn in school at home will go a long way to help them remember math concepts. Lots of parents will only tell their kids to go and do their homework without spending time with them to ensure they are doing the right thing. Encourage he parents to get involved as well if they are not already doing so.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by barbie1018: 2:33pm On Sep 30, 2016
Mathematics is the most interesting subject. I don't know the year group you teach but I can say just one thing: Be practical when teaching the students. Get them involved in the topic you are teaching. Make them think too by giving them mental tasks; critical thinking.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by salabscholar01(m): 2:55pm On Sep 30, 2016
Wryhder:

Our schools aren't well funded, which means appropriate teaching materials aren't available. It's a shame.
I honestly think this is the reason some students struggle when they advance to higher classes. Shaky foundation.

this is true, just like my own case, I had a poor foundation in maths.... It was a public school though and I expected that.. it was obvious then that my teachers did not even understand the subject at all.... I bought three different mathematics texts, on different authors' titles just for every class as I progress from JSS classes to SS3......

Though it was not easy but it's all about having the passion and determination for it...I later forced myself to study this same maths at the higher level of my education, despite my poor background... I challenged myself, I have to burn the mid-night candle, sacrifice to study it, but in the end hard work pays... I was inspired to swift to the literary world, to write a book just to encourage people never to give up on their dreams no matter how big challenging it appears to be....

1 Like

Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by ngobaby2264: 3:01pm On Sep 30, 2016
I believe that mathematics is a gift for some people. No matter how hard I try, the highest I can get in math is a c. Some people are good in math, others are not. I hate math with a passion.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Sep 30, 2016
Davash222:

math ain't boring at all .... its a fun course/subject ... thing is fear is just the setback most people have when it comes to mathematical related questions
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by MOORCHMOORE(m): 3:17pm On Sep 30, 2016
Chiamakah:
Dear Nairalanders,
Good evening readers, I am currently very disturbed and here is my story.
I am a class teacher in a primary school and I recently discovered that my pupils have a challenge in Mathematics, I am determined to change their situation so I have been employing different teaching methodology known to me, recently I discovered, through the feedbacks from their parent, that this has not been working.
When I give them class work they do it correctly in class with little assistance, but in the case of assignment they hardly can do it on their own. These are pupils who perform well in other subjects, I cant point out where the problem is whether its with me the teacher or them the pupils. Pls any one with an idea on methodology that can be used should please help. I really feel for them, I have my own children.
Make use of this links https://www.coolmath4kids.com/
http://www.mathsonline.org/ for maths made easy. Yesterday I was trying best method of solving Long division for my house boy. Those links helped a lot.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by budosky(m): 3:29pm On Sep 30, 2016
Math... Na my best course b dat...I just don't why I fell in love with Gauss-Siedel iteration techniques!
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Ridwan1821: 4:22pm On Sep 30, 2016
Demigods666:

Not really I just like math a lot.
Okay Sir.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Ridwan1821: 4:23pm On Sep 30, 2016
budosky:
Math... Na my best course b dat...I just don't why I fell in love with Gauss-Siedel iteration techniques!
I prefer Jacobi Iteration method to Gauss-Siedel's.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by 3sexy: 4:32pm On Sep 30, 2016
I can teach u ,
I teach maths from ages 4 - 9 yrs kids

Maths has its own technique
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by obaaderemi: 5:22pm On Sep 30, 2016
Davash222:

Odiegwu.

I'm still waiting for the day I would actually use 'simultaneous equations' In Real Life.
U use it everyday u just dont notice
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Defenderng1: 6:40pm On Sep 30, 2016
Pray for them before and after anything you do
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by brainzbee(m): 6:46pm On Sep 30, 2016
let me share my experience briefly cuz its similar. during my primary sch days i hated mathematics alot because the teacher's attitude. he will shout at u wen u fail to answer questions correctly and sometimes he will flog u if u fail to answer a question correcty. sometimes he insults. e.g u re block head and u dnt knw anything. such derogatory remarks leads to the child having inferiority complex and he or she wouldn't want to learn. in the nut shell, i hated maths until my sec sch in my sss 1. i had the best maths teacher. he made me do away with the impression i had that maths is hard and i wil neva knw maths. he said for to knw maths u first of all do away with that fear that maths is hard, secondly tell ur self i wnt to knw maths, thirdly u must must hv a maths text book, u must ask questions wen eva u don't undstnd any step. wen u understand an example go back and pick exercise questions using the example solved in class as a guide to solve the question.. for more contact on facabook: jude gagah
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by HERSLEY(f): 6:53pm On Sep 30, 2016
Demigods666:

It's not boring

And it's very important because
Math is important in everyday life for several reasons, which include preparation for a career, developing problem-solving skills, improving analytical skills and increasing mental acuity. On a daily basis, people are presented with different forms of data that must be organized and absorbed in order to make decisions. Daily activities such as making purchases, saving money, planning for retirement, choosing insurance and calculating expenses require math skills.

And OP change your teaching method, try to break it down bit by bit and as you teach ask them if they understand and what they don't understand they should ask

And also let them know why they should learn maths.

Its like the foundation of life, foundation of almost everything else.

Maths is boring
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Sep 30, 2016
HERSLEY:
Maths is boring

$1 brain.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Amplitron: 9:06pm On Sep 30, 2016
@OP,
An important thing you mentioned is that they do well in the class but poorly on homework. For some people the reverse is the case. I don't wanna go into lots of details about what is wrong. I know a simple way to make it right. It works like magic with kids. It is called motivation. Different kids are motivated by different things but there's a shortcut to knowing what motivates all kids. Just buy a pack of sweets and give anyone of them that gets things right. Tell them anyone of them who gets all in the homework will have two wraps of sweets. Be creative with your rewards.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by hiijaay(f): 10:01pm On Sep 30, 2016
Simply bring it down to their level, by using what they see everyday for examples, with time they will learn it .
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by costandi(m): 10:16pm On Sep 30, 2016
benueguy:

Lolz... So on point... I ran away from science class cos I was afraid of calculations.. Got admission to study accounting... I come meet am there. Hmmm. Na to just do am o. Thank God I graduated with a 2:1. Awaiting service now.
@op. Please use instructional materials. Especially visual aid. This will go a long way in helping them.
Who asked you?
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by PAPIJAID(m): 10:27pm On Sep 30, 2016
@OP, Let them start with multiplication table, it is the bedrock of mathematics.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by benueguy(m): 10:31pm On Sep 30, 2016
costandi:
Who asked you?
me, myself and I.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by HERSLEY(f): 10:31pm On Sep 30, 2016
Demigods666:

$1 brain.
Really? Well I dnt abuse people, so try another person kiss

1 Like

Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by benueguy(m): 10:33pm On Sep 30, 2016
costandi:
Who asked you?
me, myself and I.. My story can encourage someone who's performing poorly. That's why I posted it. No vex sir

1 Like

Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by costandi(m): 10:50pm On Sep 30, 2016
benueguy:
me, myself and I.. My story can encourage someone who's performing poorly. That's why I posted it. No vex sir
No problem bro. You did well.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by OkunrinMeta: 12:29am On Oct 01, 2016
At the primary school level in Nigeria, a maths teacher should be very wicked with the cain, wire or koboko. That was the only way to get me to learn in those days. Only at the secondary school level can you change this method to something more effective.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Selaog(m): 1:10am On Oct 01, 2016
I've been there so I know what its like. Google mathemagics, kids luv 2 play with numbers when its fun, from there they learn. I've tried it and believe me, it works

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Official JAMB 2017 Cut Off Mark For All Schools Announced See Full List / 9 Important Reasons To Study Hard In School / Obafemi Awolowo University Resumption date: 10th January 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.