Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,264 members, 7,818,892 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:30 AM

How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? (13031 Views)

50 Courses You Can Study Without Credit In Mathematics / 3 Nigerians Top The World In Mathematics / Professor's Wife Bags Ph.d In Mathematics, Son Bags Degree In Engineering. Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Michaelangelo100: 1:22am On Oct 01, 2016
@OP,
I think you should take time and study your pupils. Check their psyche about maths(most pupils have unneccesary fear for maths) and from there you can assess them and know why how to tackle their challenges.
Most time the actual problem comes from the tutors and the method in which they teach. I will advise you to try "INSIGHT" teaching methods. You need to help them develop an INSIGHT into every topic in maths you teach.
What do I mean INSIGHT? That click in your pupils brains the- moment when the tumblers of their mental locks aligns, the door swings opens, and an intuitive sense of what and why comes flooding. "Forget about the equations or math problem they copied from the blackboard, I am talking about developing an understanding deep down in their bones." Build in them INSIGHT plus practise of deploying the iNSIGHT(i.e through practise problem) if you have INSIGHT without and also application practise you will freeze up.
Other tips to help student are:
always encourage them to ask questions.
Ditch out every laziness in them when it comes to math problem.
Psych your pupils up, tell them maths is the simplest and also make it fun when teaching them. Relate your maths through INSIGHT teaching method to reality.

Advise or encourage their parent to always help their children review their math note immediately after school hours. Also encourage your pupils to do their homework while they are still fresh. If your pupils wait until too late at night, their tired mind will have much greater difficulty understanding the concepts.
@Op i hope this goes a long way in helping your pupils.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Nobody: 4:20am On Oct 01, 2016
Chiamakah:
Dear Nairalanders,
Good evening readers, I am currently very disturbed and here is my story.
I am a class teacher in a primary school and I recently discovered that my pupils have a challenge in Mathematics, I am determined to change their situation so I have been employing different teaching methodology known to me, recently I discovered, through the feedbacks from their parent, that this has not been working.
When I give them class work they do it correctly in class with little assistance, but in the case of assignment they hardly can do it on their own. These are pupils who perform well in other subjects, I cant point out where the problem is whether its with me the teacher or them the pupils. Pls any one with an idea on methodology that can be used should please help. I really feel for them, I have my own children.
It's a problem that started earlier on. You'll have to go back to the basics. Go as far behind as possible and give them comprehensive tests from the lowest class and make revisions together and punish failing. By the time you reach their level, they will be experts.

That's what worked for our secondary class many years ago. I still thank God for that teacher.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by aariwa(m): 7:19am On Oct 01, 2016
salabscholar01:
Mathematics is the simplest of the subjects! The logic is this: Mathematics can never be taught telegraphically! You must learn to transfer the idea as simpler as possible for the kids to be able to assimilate. Here, I will highlight some key process for you to benefit.

Though, It all depends on the mode of the explanation of the concept in question. And the level of the students matters too. Your teaching methodology and behavioral aspects count too. I have taught in schools and colleges before, across different age brackets. For instance, The procedures use to teaching a primary 6 is not applicable to teaching those kids in Nur. 1, vis-a-vis.

Here are some activities for your classroom to add a bit of sparkle and creativity. As children work, ask critical questions such as "Did you try this?" "What would have happened if?" "Do you think you could?" to enhance children's understanding of mathematical ideas and vocabulary.

Use dramatizations . Invite children pretend to be in a ball (sphere) or box (rectangular prism), feeling the faces, edges, and corners and to dramatize simple arithmetic problems such as: Three frogs jumped in the pond, then one more, how many are there in all?

Use children's bodies. Suggest that children show how many feet, mouths, and so on they have. When asked to show their "three arms," they respond loudly in protest, and then tell the adult how many they do have and show ("prove"wink it. Then invite children to show numbers with fingers, starting with the familiar, "How old are you?" to showing numbers you say, to showing numbers in different ways (for example, five as three on one hand and two on the other).

Use children's play. Engage children in block play that allows them to do mathematics in numerous ways, including sorting, seriating, creating symmetric designs and buildings, making patterns, and so forth. Then introduce a game of Dinosaur Shop. Suggest that children pretend to buy and sell toy dinosaurs or other small objects, learning counting, arithmetic, and money concepts.

Use children's toys. Encourage children to use "scenes" and toys to act out situations such as three cars on the road, or, later in the year, two monkeys in the trees and two on the ground.

Use children's stories. Share books with children that address mathematics but are also good stories. Later, help children see mathematics in any book. In Blueberries for Sal, by Robert McCloskey (Penguin, 1993), children can copy "kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk!" and later tell you the number as you slowly drop up to four counters into a coffee can.
Use children's natural creativity. Children's ideas about mathematics should be discussed with all children. Here's a "mathematical conversation" between two boys, each 6 years of age: "Think of the biggest number you can. Now add five. Then, imagine if you had that many cupcakes." " Wow, that's five more than the biggest number you could come up with!"

Use children's problem-solving abilities. Ask children to describe how they would figure out problems such as getting just enough scissors for their table or how many snacks they would need if a guest were joining the group. Encourage them to use their own fingers or manipulatives or whatever else might be handy for problem solving.

Use a variety of strategies. Bring mathematics everywhere you go in your classroom, from counting children at morning meeting to setting the table, to asking children to clean up a given number or shape of items. Also, use a research-based curriculum to incorporate a sequenced series of learning activities into your program.

Use technology. Try digital cameras to record children's mathematical work, in their play and in planned activities, and then use the photographs to aid discussions and reflections with children, curriculum planning, and communication with parents. Use computers wisely to mathematize situations and provide individualized instruction.

Use assessments to measure children's mathematics learning. Use observations, discussions with children, and small-group activities to learn about children's mathematical thinking and to make informed decisions about what each child might be able to learn from future experiences. Also try computer assessments. Use programs that assess children automatically

Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Beleeez(m): 8:20am On Oct 01, 2016
If u try all these and it didn't work, continue managing till SS1. Buy them a very fascinating calculator worth like 3-5k. Go with them to buy it so they can see how much it worth. He or she would love to use it all the time like a gadget to solve equations. It worked for me, was really dull in maths then, in fact I hated it in junior days but got the best calculator among my mates then which everyone envied. I got A1 in WAEC at the end. Maths became my best subject.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by STENON(f): 2:46pm On Oct 01, 2016
Introduce mathematics game as part of your teachinh methodologies.

Don't do examples alone, Be calling them out randomly to write the next step of the examples on the board, after everything call someone to summarise what you have done.

Lastly , Pray for them always.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Chiamakah: 3:43pm On Oct 01, 2016
joey150:
Use patterns and more visible items to teach them. Incorporate maths in their every subject..its possible.

Employ teaching aids to make them understand better. Pair the brighter ones with the struggling ones in class.

And finally make learning fun. Insist on repetition at this stage. No matter how easy a sum or solution is, make them repeat it over and over till they learn it completely.

Hope it helps
thanks wud keep that in mind

1 Like

Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Chiamakah: 3:45pm On Oct 01, 2016
Muafrika2:

It's a problem that started earlier on. You'll have to go back to the basics. Go as far behind as possible and give them comprehensive tests from the lowest class and make revisions together and punish failing. By the time you reach their level, they will be experts.

That's what worked for our secondary class many years ago. I still thank God for that teacher.
thanks I will

1 Like

Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Chiamakah: 3:47pm On Oct 01, 2016
ammyluv2002:
You're a blessing to your employer. Keep it up that's all i have to say.

thanks buddy
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Chiamakah: 3:48pm On Oct 01, 2016
Correspondence:
Use the co-operative learning strategy.
Effective teachers are increasingly using a student-centered approach. Cooperative learning sparks engagement in classrooms by encouraging interaction among the students themselves. The teacher, rather than calling on one student at a time, allows children to discuss class materials with buddies or in groups, thus maximizing the level of participation. The students work just as hard as the teachers. No longer a one-man show, the teacher’s role becomes that of a facilitator instead. This, in turn, leads to higher achievement, while promoting both team and class building

Other strategies you may use are
Goal setting strategy
Assessment strategy.
this will be very helpful, thanks.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Chiamakah: 3:53pm On Oct 01, 2016
salabscholar01:
Mathematics is the simplest of the subjects! The logic is this: Mathematics can never be taught telegraphically! You must learn to transfer the idea as simpler as possible for the kids to be able to assimilate. Here, I will highlight some key process for you to benefit.

Though, It all depends on the mode of the explanation of the concept in question. And the level of the students matters too. Your teaching methodology and behavioral aspects count too. I have taught in schools and colleges before, across different age brackets. For instance, The procedures use to teaching a primary 6 is not applicable to teaching those kids in Nur. 1, vis-a-vis.

Here are some activities for your classroom to add a bit of sparkle and creativity. As children work, ask critical questions such as "Did you try this?" "What would have happened if?" "Do you think you could?" to enhance children's understanding of mathematical ideas and vocabulary.

Use dramatizations . Invite children pretend to be in a ball (sphere) or box (rectangular prism), feeling the faces, edges, and corners and to dramatize simple arithmetic problems such as: Three frogs jumped in the pond, then one more, how many are there in all?

Use children's bodies. Suggest that children show how many feet, mouths, and so on they have. When asked to show their "three arms," they respond loudly in protest, and then tell the adult how many they do have and show ("prove"wink it. Then invite children to show numbers with fingers, starting with the familiar, "How old are you?" to showing numbers you say, to showing numbers in different ways (for example, five as three on one hand and two on the other).

Use children's play. Engage children in block play that allows them to do mathematics in numerous ways, including sorting, seriating, creating symmetric designs and buildings, making patterns, and so forth. Then introduce a game of Dinosaur Shop. Suggest that children pretend to buy and sell toy dinosaurs or other small objects, learning counting, arithmetic, and money concepts.

Use children's toys. Encourage children to use "scenes" and toys to act out situations such as three cars on the road, or, later in the year, two monkeys in the trees and two on the ground.

Use children's stories. Share books with children that address mathematics but are also good stories. Later, help children see mathematics in any book. In Blueberries for Sal, by Robert McCloskey (Penguin, 1993), children can copy "kuplink, kuplank, kuplunk!" and later tell you the number as you slowly drop up to four counters into a coffee can.
Use children's natural creativity. Children's ideas about mathematics should be discussed with all children. Here's a "mathematical conversation" between two boys, each 6 years of age: "Think of the biggest number you can. Now add five. Then, imagine if you had that many cupcakes." " Wow, that's five more than the biggest number you could come up with!"

Use children's problem-solving abilities. Ask children to describe how they would figure out problems such as getting just enough scissors for their table or how many snacks they would need if a guest were joining the group. Encourage them to use their own fingers or manipulatives or whatever else might be handy for problem solving.

Use a variety of strategies. Bring mathematics everywhere you go in your classroom, from counting children at morning meeting to setting the table, to asking children to clean up a given number or shape of items. Also, use a research-based curriculum to incorporate a sequenced series of learning activities into your program.

Use technology. Try digital cameras to record children's mathematical work, in their play and in planned activities, and then use the photographs to aid discussions and reflections with children, curriculum planning, and communication with parents. Use computers wisely to mathematize situations and provide individualized instruction.

Use assessments to measure children's mathematics learning. Use observations, discussions with children, and small-group activities to learn about children's mathematical thinking and to make informed decisions about what each child might be able to learn from future experiences. Also try computer assessments. Use programs that assess children automatically

whao! All these 4 me, thanks a million. But my question is, for those emphasising game, how does one make a game out of every topic e.g mensuration say circumference of a circle.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Chiamakah: 3:56pm On Oct 01, 2016
shakyriri:
What class In primary do u teach? Have u checked the background taught? Is it peculiar to one or all? Do they ask questions when u teach? Are they understanding or cramming? So many questions my dear.maths is easy esp wen d background is sound.
basic 3, yes they ask questions, I have revised dia previous knowledge, they are not quite bad. Thay dont cram. But they dont seem to have much interest.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Chiamakah: 4:31pm On Oct 01, 2016
Firstly let me say a big thank you to the MOD that pushed this into front page, I'm so grateful.
There are no words to express my profound gratitude to every one who patiently read this post and painstaking replied.
I'm so sorry 4 ds late reply, I was in skool on friday and busy with them, dia is hardly any time for internet.
I have taken time to read and digest all d suggestions and profer answers to few questions I can. I assure you I have taken notes and will begin implementation as soon as possible and I promise to keep you posted.
Thanks all

1 Like

Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Chiamakah: 4:31pm On Oct 01, 2016
Firstly let me say a big thank you to the MOD that pushed this into front page, I'm so grateful.
There are no words to express my profound gratitude to every one who patiently read this post and painstaking replied.
I'm so sorry 4 ds late reply, I was in skool on friday and busy with them, dia is hardly any time for internet.
I have taken time to read and digest all d suggestions and profer answers to few questions I can. I assure you I have taken notes and will begin implementation as soon as possible and I promise to keep you posted.
Thanks all

1 Like

Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by overflow1: 7:29pm On Oct 04, 2016
make them happy, incorporate fun all through from start to finish.
Re: How Do I Help My Pupils To Be Good In Mathematics? by Canopy2018(m): 11:26pm On Mar 16, 2023
Are you tired of struggling with basic math operations? Unlock the secrets of the fundamental arithmetic operators' rules and become a math wizard in no time! From addition to division, these essential rules will give you the foundation you need to excel in math and beyond. Join us on a journey to discover the power of arithmetic and unleash your inner genius!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp2p3zYn48U

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

List March Songs You Sang Back Then In School / Seplat JV Scholarship PAST QUESTIONS / Unilag Direct Entry Admission

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.