Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,577 members, 7,820,075 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:22 AM

Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To (2008 Views)

Pls I Dont Really Know Breed My Dog Belong To. / Enugu Dog Group... Drop Ur Number To Be Added / What Breed Does This Puppy Lionel Messi Is Holding Belong To? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 11:24pm On Sep 29, 2016
I am a cynophile (a great lover of dogs), but I don't have the means to own and cater for dogs yet, so I tried my best to make sure I am prepared to be a great dog owner when the time comes. I surf the net regularly to acquire relevant canine knowledge that I might need, and that was when I came across my very first online dog group with the name Unique Dog Breeders.

I have been an active member of the group for a while now (I joined around January) , and she had her 1st anniversary on the 18th of Sept., 2016. Below is the narration of how the event unfolded, on my part.
Please pardon any typo-error you might take note of.
Bon Voyage

Cc: Debque, Toluwanimi07, Monopoly123, ShenTeh

1 Like

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 11:43pm On Sep 29, 2016
Weeks before the D-day, it was announced and we were reminded constantly of the get together after we all agreed on a rendezvous point and time, and a customised shirt. I got the address to the venue which was somewhere in Ibese, Tinubu Estate to be precise, in a breeder's house on the group. It was on a Sunday, and I set off for the meeting from Fadeyi around 2pm for the meeting scheduled to begin at 3pm.
I have never been to Ikorodu before then. The trip was way longer than I anticipated, 'cause as at 45mins into the trip with no traffic jam, I had not arrived at my destination. I was getting some notifications on the group chat, indicating the presence of some attendees, and the commencement of the meeting. It was then I wish I had the powers of Iron man, to fly over to the venue in the squeeze of a lemon.
Pictures of some attendees were sent into the group right before the meeting started.

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 12:17am On Sep 30, 2016
After a lot of panicking and anticipation, I finally arrived at the venue about an hour late. I was received at the gate by the host, who goes with the alias "Zeedtrojan". Zeedtrojan invited me into the compound so I can join the ongoing meeting, then I met a pack of lovely canines which comprised of a gold coated Lhasa (female), a fawn Boerboel (female), and a Brindle Boerboel (male). The pack of dogs looked at my direction with keen interest, but I was unmoved because their owner was with me (no shaking).
When I walked in from the gate with the Zeedtrojan and was heading for the main building, the Lhasa was waging her tail as she followed behind, walking at the exact spots I stepped while walking but I didn't even attempt to touch her-Those toy breeds could be unpredictable. Many lap dogs stay indoors with their owners, so they usually have a spot mostly in in sitting room, but people (especially the careless ones) often step on them and they don't like it. As a result, many lap dogs put on aggression as a behavioural adaptability to prevent being trampled upon at will, so that makes many of them quite unpredictable (not all though).
The Egbons at the entrance to the main building stood up from the floor to acknowledge the presence of the Alpha in the pack (their owner). I was not too sure that they were not planning coupe behind me (though in my front) to cut me off from the Alpha of the pack who was walking ahead of me, so as to have a wonderful taste of my tender skin (oh my skin). So I tactically ensured the gap between us (me and Zeedtrojan) was not much. The fawn coated Boerboel came close as she walked towards Zeedtrojan, and I wanted to touch her but Zeedtrojan cautioned me that she is quite territorial (me sef dey like trespass sha). I passed through the front of the brindle Boerboel, as he looked at me briefly.
As soon as the door was opened and the Alpha stepped in, the terrific canines retired to the ground

1 Like

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 12:32am On Sep 30, 2016
I exchanged salutations with the grown-ups I met at the meeting, and made one or two contributions while deliberating on some issues, majorly on how to ensure the progress of the group. Though I came late, I was hoping the meeting would end quickly so I could spend some time bonding with the canines. Many members of the group couldn't attend 'cause of one reason or the other, ranging from tight schedule, to distance (some at based in distant locations as far as Benin city).
It was time for "Item 7", and I went into action with the fried chicken as the meeting went on. I couldn't eat all the flesh/meat off the bone with me 'cause I had the thoughts of the canines outside as I took every bite.
A group photograph was to be taken, and I didn't want any embarrassing picture , so I tried to conceal my chicken as I hid my right hand between my right leg and the chair. I am at the extreme left in the pictures below- I don't like taking pictures because I am not photogenic.

1 Like

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 12:44am On Sep 30, 2016
Before I could say "Jack Robinson" meeting was over, and I stepped outside the main building to catch some air, and bond with the canines. The first to receive me, was the female Lhasa. Her name is Julian.
Julian was about 3yrs and 3months old as at when we had the get together. Julian approached me is a swift manner and was waging her tail vigorously. I was not sure of what to expect 'cause that was my first time getting close to a lap dog.
Her fluffy furs were covering her eyes, so I couldn't see her eyes, and it made the whole canine communication thing difficult for me. I offered her the back of my right hand for her to lick, but she backed off. After several failed attempts, I remembered the bones of the chicken for Item7, and dashed into the house to get some. She was positioned at the centre of the two Boerboel.
As soon as I surfaced, all the canines stood on their feet and I suddenly became their centre of attraction.

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 12:56am On Sep 30, 2016
I offered Julian a piece of bone which she received with her jaws. The Egbons were gazing into my eyes as if to ask for their share, but they still maintained their distances with me. They let down their guards and didn't bark at me all along because their Alpha was present there, gisting with other breeders that attended the meeting. I gave them a piece of bone each, and returned to Julian.
Now, she was through with her ration and was waging he tail as if to ask for more. I offered her the back of my hand and she licked it this time (hmmmmmnn, I have won her heart).
I attempted to carry her, but I didn't know how to carry her (don't forget, that was my first time with a lap dog). One of the breeder's noticed my inexperience, and offered to carry her.

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 12:59am On Sep 30, 2016
I took note of how he lifted her from them ground with her belly, and how he balanced her on his side, so I decided to give it a shot.
I enjoyed stroking her fluffy fur, it was as long as a Caucasian Ovcharka's (or that of a long coated German Shepherd Dog)

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 1:14am On Sep 30, 2016
I proceeded to the brindle male Boerboel. His name is Snow. Snow was 6 months old. Snow is pedigree . Snows ear was recently cropped, his owner preferred him that way, probably for aesthetics sake.
I offered Snow another piece of bone, and started stroking his fur as he was chewing. It helped us bond. I couldn't do that for long because he was shedding his coat and the compound was getting littered with his shredded coat. Jealous Julian kept on coming for me to stroke her too, which I obliged, but the fawn coated Boerboel kept her distance.

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 1:29am On Sep 30, 2016
I proceeded to the female fawn coated Boerboel. Her name is Bella, she was 8months old. Bella is also pedigree. After offering Bella a second piece of bone as I stretched out my hands while remaining fixed in my position, I offered her the back of my left hand (though with fear 'cause Zeedtrojan said she is territorial),which she licked it. Zeedtrojan was surprised to see our development (how Bella and I bonded so fast). What he didn't understand was that 1- he was there with us, so his presence meant alot to the canines 2- Bella has seen me accepted into the pack already by Snow and Julian, so hers shouldn't take long time ideally (nothing to fear since her PADIs are cool with it).
I kept on stroking her fur and she remained motionless to enjoy our bond. She is quite hyper.

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 1:46am On Sep 30, 2016
I took a break and went to join the other attendees of the meeting as they were conversating. Zeedtrojan went ahead to give each dog a piece of bone again. Just then I noticed Snow who had finished his ration, was about to go for Julian's when she charged at him to scare him off. When Snow didn't back down totally, Julian growled at Snow when she sensed he was still a potential threat to her treat, before Snow backed down totally. Bella was very cautious of Julian after the growl. So she picked her ration with her jaws, and relocated (they were all sitted close to each other before). The whole thing got the attention of everyone, then a breeder was analysing how easy it is for a lap dog like Julian, to kill a large breed dog like Snow. All it takes is a bite from the needle-like teeth of Julian on a blood vessel of the large breed like Snow, and the dog bleeds to death. In such case, both dogs might eventually die (the Boerboel could snap the neck of the lap dog, and the large breed dog could bleed to death as a result of the injury sustained.
Another thing I notice is that its easier for small breeds to bully large breeds. When the large breed growls at the small breed dog, we humans tend to stop the large breed dog instantly but if it is the small breed growling at the large breed, we tend to overlook it, and that is partiality. Apparently, Julian has developed a behavioural adaptability towards her canine friends (they underestimate her 'cause of her size, but forgot she is not their age mate grin).
We regrouped for a group photograph, before we all set off for our various houses
I headed back home as I boarded a bus going to Fadeyi, and I was glad to finally meet breeders physically, after meeting them "cyber"ly

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by chudidonas(m): 2:17pm On Sep 30, 2016
Lovely. I enjoyed your story to the end

2 Likes

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by Monopoly123(m): 10:46am On Oct 01, 2016
Nice wink winkstory and write up. Keep up the good work. Itz nice to know that there are other people out dere dat actually really care for dogs. Thumbs up bro

2 Likes

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by EddyNumerouno(m): 3:51pm On Oct 01, 2016
Why should dog experts crop the ears of a 6 month old dog
Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by atoleybaba(m): 9:45pm On Oct 01, 2016
EddyNumerouno:
Lol....different funny breeders
Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 2:59pm On Oct 02, 2016
EddyNumerouno:
atoleybaba:
Lol....different funny breeders
Different strokes for different folks...
Just like some people prefer their canines docked, the owner of his dog will have a reason for cropping his Boerboel. I didn't bother to dig in 'cause Boerboels are not usually cropped. Once again, he'll have hi reason for it.
Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by EddyNumerouno(m): 3:29pm On Oct 02, 2016
okikiosibodu:

Just like some people prefer their canines docked, the owner of his dog will have a reason for cropping his Boerboel. I didn't bother to dig in 'cause Boerboels are not usually cropped. Once again, he'll have hi reason for it.

Im pretty sure you wouldnt want to be circumcised at your age grin grin grin

Cropping and docking of tails and ears are done when the dog is only a few days old. At that age, there is very little pain and blood loss.
Say no to animal cruelty

1 Like

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 3:49pm On Oct 02, 2016
EddyNumerouno:

Im pretty sure you wouldnt want to be circumcised at your age grin grin grin

Cropping and docking of tails and ears are done when the dog is only a few days old. At that age, there is very little pain and blood loss.
Say no to animal cruelty

I get your point, but don't forget sometimes medical conditions could warrant a dog getting it's ears cropped or tail docked as an adult (e.g broken tail, infections of the ears/ tail, ear damaged as a result of domestic fights, etc). Cropping could also be done to prevent the dog from being bitten in the ear(s), should in case it gets involved in a fight (not necessarily a deliberate one). Once again, I didn't dig into the matter, so I really can't answer for his owner. The breeder is experienced and knows stuffs like docking should be done when the puppies nervous system is not yet developed, but I am sure he has his genuine reason(s). One love
Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 4:22pm On Oct 02, 2016
Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by atoleybaba(m): 7:55am On Oct 03, 2016
okikiosibodu:

sir one of the characteristics of a breeder is upholding the good standard of a breed specialized in. How many bb av u seen their ears cropped? That is deviating from conformity. Besides, y should a reasonable breeder crop a 6months old dog's ear? There can never be any sensible reason to do so. It is absurd and very risky
Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by Falcone52x: 10:16pm On Oct 03, 2016
Beautiful read

Nice to see folks getting along smiley

1 Like

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 10:28pm On Oct 03, 2016
atoleybaba:
sir one of the characteristics of a breeder is upholding the good standard of a breed specialized in. How many bb av u seen their ears cropped? That is deviating from conformity. Besides, y should a reasonable breeder crop a 6months old dog's ear? There can never be any sensible reason to do so. It is absurd and very risky
Please peruse
I get your point, but don't forget sometimes medical conditions could warrant a dog getting it's ears cropped or tail docked as an adult (e.g broken tail, infections of the ears/ tail, ear damaged as a result of domestic fights, etc). Cropping could also be done to prevent the dog from being bitten in the ear(s), should in case it gets involved in a fight (not necessarily a deliberate one Once again, I didn't dig into the matter, so I really can't answer for his owner. The breeder is experienced and knows stuffs like docking should be done when the puppies nervous system is not yet developed, but I am sure he has his genuine reason(s). One love
Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by olaidecash: 9:20am On Oct 07, 2016
Nice write up.

1 Like

Re: Attending The 1st Anniversary Of An Online Dog Group I Belong To by okikiosibodu(m): 4:29pm On Mar 16, 2018
olaidecash:
Nice write up.
Thank you. Apologies that it took me a while to respond... I liked your comment though... Hope you are doing great?

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help..! I Moved Into A New Flat, The Dog Living In The Compound Has Ticks !!! / Mini-Diary of German Shepherd Puppies (Now Ready For New Homes) / Pictures Former Imo State Governor And His Monstrous Dogs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.