Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,821 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Open Letter Of Complaint On E-passport Exploitative Charges Abroad - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Open Letter Of Complaint On E-passport Exploitative Charges Abroad (1744 Views)

APC And Their Exploitative Propaganda. Are Really The Brain Behind Boko Haram??? / APC; Limits Of Exploitative Propaganda / Exploitative Conditions Of The Employed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Open Letter Of Complaint On E-passport Exploitative Charges Abroad by nethacker(m): 11:43am On Oct 15, 2009
The undersigned well meaning Nigerians, resident in Malaysia, wish to bring to your attention, a specific and general problem on the two regimes of E-passport processing fees.

Recently, our Commission was able to acquire a Biometric/E-passport issuing machine, which as reported, was donated to the Commission by IRIS Behad (ICB) in collaboration with its Nigeria partner, IRIS Smart Technologies Limited (ISTL). The machine was installed and commissioned on June 1, 2009. The Comptroller General of Nigeria Immigration Service, Mr. Joseph Chukwura Udeh, (OFR) was the Special Guest. Since then, the machine has effectively been in operation.

However, with the twilight of our long wait for passports, came a more nerving worry about the amounts and the legitimacy of what is to be paid as processing fees. There is the 110 USD, equivalent 15, 950 Naira payable to the central immigration account and another 150 Malaysian Ringit, equivalent to 43 USD, 6, 235 Naira, which is to be paid into the Commission’s coffers. Without paying both amounts, one’s passport will not be processed. In respect of the 43 USD payable to the Commission’s coffer, we have raised questions about its legitimacy but only to be told on the one hand that it is an administrative fee, and on the other, maintenance charges. Also, we have demanded for a Federal Government directive, which authorized such payment, but none was given.

Mr. President, we will like to know if there was any directive, issued by your office, which mandates the Commission to levy such extra charges. In the event there is none, we will be appreciative of your intervention to issue a directive that revokes such payment order and direct the Commission to make immediate refund to all those who have paid the money. However, if the amount, that is, the 43 USD is with your consent, then, we wish to raise the following observations.

To obtain the same e-passport in Nigeria, one is required to pay 8,750 Naira. Given the exchange rate of 1.00 USD to be 145.00 Naira, and British £1.00 to be 250.00 Naira, this translates to 60.35 USD and British £35.00 respectively. These, however, depends on the exchange rates. If one is to compare this with the US$110.00, (a whooping 15, 950 Naira), it is stark clear that we are paying as much as twice the amount required to process the e-passport at home. This, in itself is over charging, because the production cost in Malaysia will be lesser. This is because power is stable in Malaysia, unlike Nigeria where it is hyper erratic and the cost of internet is cheaper when also compared to Nigeria. This, in addition with other factors will reduce the maintenance and operational cost, thereby making it more rational that those in Malaysia pay a lesser amount. But surprisingly, this is not the case. On this ground, it is ridiculous to now ask us to pay another 43 USD as maintenance and administrative fees.

Again, Mr. President, if one may ask, is it the responsibility of the citizens to maintain the Biometric/E-passport machine? Is it also our responsibility to pay for the administrative charges being incurred by the Commission, considering the fact that the staff of the Commission are employees of the Federal Government? With due respect, we beg to disagree that this is not our responsibility as citizens. Another way to take a look at this, is to ask if this has not been accommodated in the 8,750 Naira payable at home, let alone in the astronomical 110.00 USD, which we are compelled to pay, just because we are staying abroad.

Further investigation reveals that, to the exception of Spain, where there is just one regime of application fees, which is the 110 USD, this exploitative culture has become a tradition of other Nigerian Embassies and High Commissions. In Ireland, there are the110 USD payable online to the central account and another 40 Euros payable to the embassy’s account. The Nigerian New York Consulate is reported to collect additional 20 USD payable to the consulate’s account, in London, there is the additional 50 pounds payable to the Commission. Same amount as it is with London is being paid to a dedicated account in Dublin.

Mr. President, we thereby place the following demands before you:

1. That a statement of rebuttal or acknowledgment of your consent in respect of the additional 43 USD fees be made known to the public.
2. That if your office is not aware of this additional levy, then, the EFCC and ICPC be ordered to probe the various Commissions and Embassies where such amount is levied on the beloved citizens of Nigeria.
3. The probe should not be a close door affairs as we demand all stakeholders’ involvement.
4. The outcome of the probe should be made public with appropriate sanction meted out to erring officers.
5. The Comptroller General of Immigration, Minister of Internal Affairs, Minister of External Affairs should be included amongst those to be probed.
6. That a broad based Committee comprising stakeholders in the Diaspora community be set up to look into the appropriateness of the 100 USD as passport processing fees payable by those abroad.
7. That the probe be conducted and completed as soon as possible, with its outcome published in all major Nigerian dailies.
8. That refund be made to all those who have paid the 43 USD, in the event there is no Federal Government directive mandating such payment.
9. That the 43 USD be canceled and the directive communicated to the Diaspora community.

Mr. President, while hoping that our requests will be promptly looked into, we hereby pledge our highest regards and commitment to the struggle of making Nigeria a heaven on earth.

Yours,
So our corrupt official has spread their corrupt-minded tentacles to our consulates in other countries as well as infect the officials of those embassies with the incurable-corruption-syndrome cry cry
Re: Open Letter Of Complaint On E-passport Exploitative Charges Abroad by josy2: 1:06pm On Oct 15, 2009
This is very typical of the Nigerian embassies in Europe.  If I remember correctly, I paid €400 for my Nigerian passport in Dublin.  Last year, I had to pay $83 into the embassy's account and €40 bank draft to the embassy before I could be issued with visas for each and everyone of my kids, even though the official amount was $83.  Thank God I will not have to do so again as I now hold dual citizenship.  Those guys and the Nigerian Government are a bunch of disgrace.
Re: Open Letter Of Complaint On E-passport Exploitative Charges Abroad by Arkison: 1:31pm On Oct 15, 2009
Even in Nigeria you pay the official money of 8,500 through a bank, I can't remember the name of the bank, and then you have to give the immigration guys another 8000. When I was in Nigeria last month I spend 25,000 to get a new pass port. Well at least that is cheaper than what we pay in UK.
Re: Open Letter Of Complaint On E-passport Exploitative Charges Abroad by nethacker(m): 2:08pm On Oct 15, 2009
josy2:

This is very typical of the Nigerian embassies in Europe.  If I remember correctly, I paid €400 for my Nigerian passport in Dublin.  Last year, I had to pay $83 into the embassy's account and €40 bank draft to the embassy before I could be issued with visas for each and everyone of my kids, even though the official amount was $83.  Thank God I will not have to do so again as I now hold dual citizenship.  Those guys and the Nigerian Government are a bunch of disgrace.
I can feel  u my sister.We need to use this medium to appeal to those scoundrels up there to PLLLEEEEEEAAAASSSSEEEEE!!!!!!  angry angry reshuffle d setup at 9ja embassies abroad especially in the UK where those embassy officials ride expensive cars that even  UK citizens only see in movies or magazines. Their opulent lifestyles need be curbed to save themselves frm further disgrace  grin

Arkison:

Even in Nigeria you pay the official money of 8,500 through a bank, I can't remember the name of the bank, and then you have to give the immigration guys another 8000. When I was in Nigeria last month I spend 25,000 to get a new pass port. Well at least that is cheaper than what we pay in UK.

@^^^ .Nigerians r helpless cos there is no one to take the matter n if u do, your passport application will be missin.As they r aware dat u need it urgently,those Idiots will intentionally delay the processing so that u will be FORCED to willingly offer them bribes since its time bound. In this respect,they tend to become so lackadaisical in discharging their official duties  angry angry
Do u think we should blame them? or we should blame our animals-in-starched-guineabrocade leaders 4 their greed,self-centredness n insensitivity. Consider wat would hv happend if corrupt leaders r being sentenced 2death,sharply everybody wil sit ryt . All we r agitating for is action n not this snail-like attitude of that thing called lecturer-turned-president  angry angry
Re: Open Letter Of Complaint On E-passport Exploitative Charges Abroad by Ilelobola: 11:35pm On Oct 16, 2009
In London it's the $110 + £50 admin charge which is payable in postal order which also incurs another £5 commission to the post office. Hence about £125 in total. Seems to be the most expensive thus far.
Re: Open Letter Of Complaint On E-passport Exploitative Charges Abroad by nethacker(m): 7:12am On Oct 19, 2009
Ilelobola:

In London it's the $110 + £50 admin charge which is payable in postal order which also incurs another £5 commission to the post office. Hence about £125 in total. Seems to be the most expensive thus far.
imagine angry angry
Re: Open Letter Of Complaint On E-passport Exploitative Charges Abroad by doshbass(m): 4:28pm On Oct 19, 2009
luckily for me in the UK, I only paid $110 equivalent in pounds, but my friend had to pay the £50 extra when he went there a few weeks after mine. There is no consistency in that place, the rules and procedures change everyday. There is no organisation in that place and they just pack people like sardines in their smelling basement while the staff enjoy big offices upstairs.

(1) (Reply)

How To Get GEJ And Others On Nairaland. / Why Is Nigeria So Disorganized? / Minor Tribes Of Nigeria : Who Are They And Where Can They Be Found

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.