Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,112 members, 7,811,129 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:16 AM

Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? (1090 Views)

This Recession Is A Blessing / Recession: Abuja Couples Sell Wedding Rings To Feed.. / Hilarious; Check Out The Recession Pampers This Baby Is Putting On. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by IgboGoat: 12:03pm On Sep 30, 2016
Good days peeps,

I decided to create this thread after a lenghty discussion with my colleagues in the office.

Different opinions were sample and almost everybody stated how the recession has affected not only their pockets but also their lifestyles.

Not withstanding the fact that things are bad generally and people's disposable income have lost value and is still losing value. Considering the fact that Naira is almost 470 to USD.

However, for the purpose of this discourse, I want to focus on only the positive impacts of the economic recession, with a view that when we eventually get out of recession we can continue to practice the good things we have learnt and save more.

The ladies seems to be the ones on the positive side of the effects of recession Nigeria is currently going through.

Amongst the points raised, they stated that they hardly eat out more. They prepare their food and bring lunch from home. Another lady stated that when her husband closes from work, he returns home directly and does not have to to hang out with friends unlike in the pre-recession days.

A guy, not minding the shame said that he visited a brothel to ease the tension. And the commercial Bleep worker gave him a price which before now he will pay without blinking. He said that after calculating the effect of losing that amount, he simply zipped up and went home. (though he never stated what happened afterwards).

On my own, I have learnt to explore different ways to generate income. I also trimmed my expenses. I learnt now to stick to my budgets and always draw a priority list for my needs and wants and treat them based on their urgency.

I think it is important I state this. I have to enroll my family in an HMO. This have saved me a lot for payment of health bills and other things...

Guys lets hear from you, what are the positives you have learnt during this recession?

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by Marxxx: 12:55pm On Sep 30, 2016
IgboGoat:
Good days peeps,

I decided to create this thread after a lenghty discussion with my colleagues in the office.

Different opinions were sample and almost everybody stated how the recession has affected not only their pockets but also their lifestyles.

Not withstanding the fact that things are bad generally and people's disposable income have lost value and is still losing value. Considering the fact that Naira is almost 470 to USD.

However, for the purpose of this discourse, I want to focus on only the positive impacts of the economic recession, with a view that when we eventually get out of recession we can continue to practice the good things we have learnt and save more.

The ladies seems to be the ones on the positive side of the effects of recession Nigeria is currently going through.

Amongst the points raised, they stated that they hardly eat out more. They prepare their food and bring lunch from home. Another lady stated that when her husband closes from work, he returns home directly and does not have to to hang out with friends unlike in the pre-recession days.

A guy, not minding the shame said that he visited a brothel to ease the tension. And the commercial Bleep worker gave him a price which before now he will pay without blinking. He said that after calculating the effect of losing that amount, he simply zipped up and went home. (though he never stated what happened afterwards).

On my own, I have learnt to explore different ways to generate income. I also trimmed my expenses. I learnt now to stick to my budgets and always draw a priority list for my needs and wants and treat them based on their urgency.

I think it is important I state this. I have to enroll my family in an HMO. This have saved me a lot for payment of health bills and other things...

Guys lets hear from you, what are the positives you have learnt during this recession?
Social science is funny science. Lack or slow rate of economic activities brought us into recession. So if everyone (government inclusive) decides to go on a lean budget and not spend much (cutting cost) how are going to get out of recession? We need to spend to get out of recession. Give the government 30bn dollars to spend and we are out.....is it not funny?

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by missjo(f): 4:07pm On Sep 30, 2016
IgboGoat:
Good days peeps,

All these things that people are experiencing now is WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS,nothing more.
Just the way an addict experiences withdrawal symptoms when in rehab.

Nigerians have gotten so used to extravagant way of life so much that we don't know what is normal and sensible anymore. Nigerians build the biggest houses,drive the latest and biggest cars,throw the biggest parties,wear and use the most expensive clothes, shoes and phones., eat in fancy restaurants and bars etc.
The funny thing is that these people usually fall in the middle-income bracket. Even ngozi that is a village girl wants to wear and use things that her father can't afford.

This recession is a blessing in disguise,and the only negative is the skyrocketed price of food items. But this should not be,considering how arable our lands are for farming and this is gradually being taken care of. I read a news yesterday that price of food items have dropped in one northern state because more people were farming and producing food, this is what will be replicated on the entire country somewhere down the line.
The only things that should be expensive in a country like Nigeria are things that we import, now tell me, why on earth should Nigeria be importing things like food, clothes, shoes, perfumes etc if not because we like to show ourselves that we have arrived by using foreign things.

Also our social system is flawed, do you think if people were taxed based on the type of house they build or on the type of car they drive,they would not become wise?
Why will someone build a duplex with 8 en-suite bedrooms when he has only 2 or 3 children?
Why will someone buy a car of over 10millon Naira to ride it on bad roads? undecided

The recession we are experiencing is not even the usual kind of recession,if it were, we would be in the same pit that Venezuela currently is because they also depend solely on oil..their inflation rate is over 100% right now, why? Because their country doesn't even have the arable land to produce their own food or the population to sustain itself.
We are too blessed in this country with good weather, good arable land, and the needed manpower to manufacture, But we have taken it for granted too long.

Nigerians prefer to live posh and big just to look bigger than the next person,very stu.pid way to live I tell you because you will continue seeing people that are living bigger and posher than you whether you like it or not, and as a result, you will continuously want to do things that don't correspond to your income just to live up to the silly standards you set for yourself. angry
Our mentality wasn't always like this,we need total baptism.

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by goodgate: 4:18pm On Sep 30, 2016
missjo:

All these things that people are experiencing now is WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS,nothing more.

Nigerians have gotten so used to extravagant way of life so much that we don't know what is normal and sensible anymore. Nigerians build the biggest houses,drive the latest and biggest cars,throw the biggest parties,wear and use the most expensive clothes, shoes and phones., eat in fancy restaurants and bars etc.
The funny thing is that these people usually fall in the middle-income bracket. Even ngozi that is a village girl wants to wear and use things that her father can't afford.

This recession is a blessing in disguise,and the only negative is the skyrocketed price of food items. But this should not be,considering how arable our lands are for farming and this is gradually being taken care of. I read a news yesterday that price of food items have dropped in one northern state because more people were farming and producing food, this is what will be replicated on the entire country somewhere down the line.
The only things that should be expensive in a country like Nigeria are things that we import, now tell me, why on earth should Nigeria be importing things like food, clothes, shoes, perfumes etc if not because we like to show ourselves that we have arrived by using foreign things.

Also our social system is flawed, do you think if people were taxed based on the type of house they build or on the type of car they drive,they would not become wise?
Why will someone build a duplex with 8 en-suite bedrooms when he has only 2 or 3 children?
Why will someone buy a car of over 10millon Naira to ride it on bad roads? undecided

The recession we are experiencing is not even the usual kind of recession,if it were, we would be in the same pit that Venezuela currently is because they also depend solely on oil..their inflation rate is over 100% right now, why? Because their country doesn't even have the arable land to produce their own food or the population to sustain itself.
We are too blessed in this country with good weather, good arable land, and the needed manpower to manufacture, But we have taken it for granted too long.

Nigerians prefer to live posh and big just to look bigger than the next person,very stu.pid way to live I tell you because you will continue seeing people that are living bigger and posher than you whether you like it or not, and so, you will continuously want to do things that don't correspond to your income just to live up to the silly standards you set for yourself. angry
Intelligent!
Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by missjo(f): 4:34pm On Sep 30, 2016
goodgate:
Intelligent!
Thanks,just from someone who loves this country so much and wants to see it better, even with the grace and luck to have experienced the west.
We just don't know how lucky we are,we don't.

People are busy reclaiming land from the ocean in a small state like Lagos that is highly prone to ocean surge in the future,just to build God-knows-what which won't even be affordable to majority of people.. and there are large expanses of land in many other places and states that can be developed into prime affordable real estate.
As if trying to make one area look like Manhattan automatically makes Nigeria a developed country.

The other one in P/H said he wanted to build high-speed trains suspended above street level,when there are still tracks on the ground that have been left to rot which can be recommissioned for half the cost.

Recession is a blessing in disguise as far as I'm concerned,people need to change their mentality and adjust.

4 Likes

Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by igboboy3(m): 7:21pm On Sep 30, 2016
missjo:

Nigerians prefer to live posh and big just to look bigger than the next person,very stu.pid way to live I tell you because you will continue seeing people that are living bigger and posher than you whether you like it or not, and as a result, you will continuously want to do things that don't correspond to your income just to live up to the silly standards you set for yourself. angry

This is absolute rubbish.
The fact that you think that the only negative effect of this recession is the increased price of food shows that you have a shallow understanding of the pains people are going through.
You think the bricklayers, danfo drivers and poor people are going through withdrawal symptoms?
You think those who can't pay their children' school fees are being extravagant abi?
You think the market women who sell curry have been living it big abi?
Hardworking people are seeing their standards of living drop drastically and you blame them for living posh lifestyles.
Food is the basic right of the common man and yet you describe it as 'only.' Please how do you tell those who can't afford rice, fish and beans to change their lifestyles?

I sincerely do not blame you. It is your elitism, arrogance and even self-righteousness that has clouded your vision

You write like somebody who is well-educated; probably the product of a wealthy home. Daddy can take care of you in this recession. No worries, sis You're safe.
Even the person that claims your post is 'intelligent' is well-to-do. You can see how like minds agree

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by haftob(m): 7:30pm On Sep 30, 2016
Marxxx:
Social science is funny science. Lack or slow rate of economic activities brought us into recession. So if everyone (government inclusive) decides to go on a lean budget and not spend much (cutting cost) how are going to get out of recession? We need to spend to get out of recession. Give the government 30bn dollars to spend and we are out.....is it not funny?
Wow!
Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by missjo(f): 8:32pm On Sep 30, 2016
igboboy3:

The fact that you think that the only negative effect of this recession is the increased price of food shows that you have a shallow understanding of the pains people are going through.
You think the bricklayers, danfo drivers and poor people are going through withdrawal symptoms?
You think those who can't pay their children' school fees are being extravagant abi?
Hardworking people are seeing their standards of living drop drastically and you blame them for living posh lifestyles.
Food is the basic right of the common man and yet you describe it as 'only.' Please how do you tell those who can't afford rice, fish and beans to change their lifestyles?

I sincerely do not blame you. It is your elitism, arrogance and even self-righteousness that has clouded your vision

You write like somebody who is well-educated; probably the product of a wealthy home. Daddy can take care of you in this recession. No worries, sis You're safe.
Even the person that claims your post is 'intelligent' is well-to-do. You can see how like minds agree
It's alright,im not the enemy.
Everything increases in recession,but I used food to make my point because that is what everyone needs and survives on.

Your anger shouldn't be directed at me,i merely stated a little bit of what brought us to where we are now. What you call a drop in standard of living is still pointing back to prices of food and imported things. Bricklayers, danfo drivers, and market women have also increased the price of their services in tandem with the rice in price of everything.

The recession is affecting everyone one way or the other and instead of you to pick one or two things I proffered as solutions,you coming at me with all your strength like the typical Nigerian you are.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by Nobody: 4:56am On Oct 01, 2016
missjo:

I have never seen this explained better. You did a good job.
Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by seunlayi(m): 8:23am On Oct 01, 2016
Nice thread
Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by missjo(f): 5:40pm On Oct 02, 2016
gustalnov:

I have never seen this explained better. You did a good job.
Thanks smiley
Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by baaliyah(m): 9:39pm On Oct 02, 2016
igboboy3:

That missjo is far more intelligent than you

3 Likes

Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by Ranchhoddas: 11:09pm On Oct 02, 2016
igboboy3:

No mind them. As a result of their relatively comfortable lives, they have failed to realize that the struggling familes, the ones who are really suffering, who live on less than a dollar a day and are on the brink of starvation, and whose kids are about to get thrown out of their schools constitute the majority. Anyone who was living a posh(whatever that means) lifestyle before is not going to stop living it as a result of this recession. The worst hit are those at the lowest rungs of the socio-economic ladder.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by missjo(f): 12:46pm On Oct 03, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
No mind them. As a result of their relatively comfortable lives, they have failed to realize that the struggling familes, the ones who are really suffering, who live on less than a dollar a day and are on the brink of starvation, and whose kids are about to get thrown out of their schools constitute the majority. Anyone who was living a posh(whatever that means) lifestyle before is not going to stop living it as a result of this recession. The worst hit are those at the lowest rungs of the socio-economic ladder.
SMH undecided

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by Ranchhoddas: 12:54pm On Oct 03, 2016
missjo:
SMH undecided
The default response when they have nothing to say.
Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by Nobody: 7:35am On Oct 04, 2016
Ave cut all my trips, I don't go out and have practically stopped drinking, only cost I bear now are cost of transportation while also trying to do some freelance online jobs for dollar. Times are hard my brother
Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by missjo(f): 11:22am On Oct 04, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
The default response when they have nothing to say.
Well I typed about two sentences and deleted em.decided you were never gonna understand it smiley

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by Ranchhoddas: 11:54am On Oct 04, 2016
missjo:

Well I typed about two sentences and deleted em.decided you were never gonna understand it smiley
Yeah right!
Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by missjo(f): 11:58am On Oct 04, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Yeah right!
It's the honest to God truth.
Okay to be sure,can you tell me which social class of citizens drive any/every economy?
Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by Ranchhoddas: 12:58pm On Oct 04, 2016
missjo:

It's the honest to God truth.
Okay to be sure,can you tell me which social class of citizens drive any/every economy?
Daaaahhhh. Even if I did not know it, I'd simply google it. ''Driving the economy'' cannot be attributed to any single class anyway so the question is invalid. It is even rendered more invalid by the fact that ours is a third-world hellhole that apparently does not conform to basic laws of economics. The poor constitute the majority here so I am at a loss as to the relevance of your inquiry.
Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by missjo(f): 1:04pm On Oct 04, 2016
Ranchhoddas:
Daaaahhhh. Even if I did not know it, I'd simply google it. ''Driving the economy'' cannot be attributed to any single class anyway so the question is invalid. It is even rendered more invalid by the fact that ours is a third-world hellhole that apparently does not conform to basic laws of economics. The poor constitute the majority here so I am at a loss as to the relevance of your inquiry.
SMH again. tongue
Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by ifyalways(f): 1:23pm On Oct 04, 2016
No more unnecessary waka.

A pot of soup is more important than the next gucci bag.

1 Like

Re: Is There Any Positivity In This Recession? by Ranchhoddas: 1:31pm On Oct 04, 2016
missjo:
SMH again. tongue

(1) (Reply)

This is What Happen's When You Drink And Drive (warning!!! Graphic Pic) / Just A Quick Reminder, Today's Mothers Are Becoming Lazy! Take A Look At This / Woman Goes Mad After Catching Her Cheating Hubby With Another Lady(pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.