Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,380 members, 7,812,113 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water (4858 Views)

What To Do And What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water / What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water / See What Happens When Your Smartphone Falls (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by matrixx9(m): 6:07am On Oct 01, 2016
Let's say you are at your house, your kitchen, or in a party and your phone slips into the toilet, pool, or sink. No worries.

The thought of using your hard earned money to buy a new smartphone hits like a brick.

It is quite true that your smartphone might be destroyed, but if you act very fast enough, you can easily prevent your phone from becoming damaged and save the extra cash . Before going to what you have to do, let’s have a look at what you should not do immediately after your phone falls into water.

Do not press any keys Do not turn the device on Do not bang, or tap the phone Do not blow it Do not take your phone apart since most device come with a Liquid Damage Indicator which when activated, could ruin your warranty, and this could be triggered by opening your device. Only open it if you absolutely need to.

Do not heat it (that includes microwaving it or using a blow dryer).

The heat from a dryer can damage your device’s internal components permanently. Do not blow on your phone. This may to send water into the internal parts of your handset that it had not reached thus causing more damage.

Do not cool it down
Now here are Things that you should do after your phones falls in water

1. Remove the phone’s battery

This is among the most important steps to saving it. Lots of circuits inside your smartphone will survive a water damage provide they’re not connected to a power source when wet. To check whether your phone is water damaged , look at the corner where the battery is. You should see a white circle or square, with or without red lines. If you see, a red or pink color, your smartphone is water damaged.

2. Remove the SIM card

Some of your valuable contacts and other files/data could be in your SIM. For some people, saving the SIM card could be worth of saving than the device itself. A SIM card tends to survive water damage quite well, however, it is advisable you get it out instantly and dry it.

3. Remove the SD Card, headphones, and other accessories

Remove all accessories and plugs that cover the slots, revises, and gaps in the device to expose them to drying . 4. Keep your handset with the screen pointing up.

One of the most vital things you would want to avoid is the water getting near your screen’s electronics. To prevent the risk of damaging your phone’s screen, keep it pointing upwards and gravity will do its thing to keep more moisture from getting near the screen.

5. Dry your device with soft paper towels.

Dry your smartphone with paper towels to remove moisture on the device. You can also wrap your handset in paper towels, and shake it up to get more moisture out of your handset’s core..

6. Get a drying agent
To dry your handset completely and as fast as possible, you’ll need to absorb all moisture from its core. Below are two effective drying agents that you can use to dry your handset: Silica Gel Pacs Rice

You should get enough of these two to cover your handset completely. From all sides. In case you don’t have access to these two, you can consider using a vacuum cleaner. It can as well save your device from becoming water damaged.

7. Wait for 48 hours If you really want to recover your phone from water damage you’ll need to be patient. Do not even attempt to turn it on to avoid short circuits. The above steps help your recover your phone from water damage.

Meanwhile, you should take a preventive measure by purchasing Rice or Silica Gel Packs to make sure you are fully prepared for such incidents.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by matrixx9(m): 6:07am On Oct 01, 2016
Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Nobody: 6:29am On Oct 01, 2016
What if my battery is inbuilt??
Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:41am On Oct 01, 2016
Stalker365:

Then It is gone (blackberry Q5)

1 Like

Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by kiddoiLL(m): 6:51am On Oct 01, 2016
ogbeni remove this,remove that....hian!! i was expecting other stuffs...cool sha...little things that matters
Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Vivos: 7:19am On Oct 01, 2016
Stalker365:
My bro's infinix note 2, which has an inbuilt battery fell into water, it was still repaired. When a phone falls inside water, its more safer to take it to the phone repairer immediately, many would say its un repairable or charge high money. But I just repaired with #3000
Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by clerkent(m): 7:31am On Oct 01, 2016
Stalker365:
just remove the back cover and put it inside rice that's what I do with my injoo max 2plus last week(with the battery inside
Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by AdeniyiA(m): 8:25am On Oct 01, 2016
clerkent:
just remove the back cover and put it inside rice that's what I do with my injoo max 2plus last week(with the battery inside
Pls wen you mention something uncommon nd 'weird' like putting phone inside rice try to expatiate ,not everybody understands the reason.
For those who wonder why rice, rice is a natural dessicant(drying agent), it'd absorb d moisture in the phone but make sure d phone is completely dipped in it

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Tallesty1(m): 9:44am On Oct 01, 2016
clerkent:
It did not stay long inside the water
Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by EzePromoe: 10:03am On Oct 01, 2016
Just here to learn something new.
Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Dapsonemmanuel(m): 10:04am On Oct 01, 2016
AdeniyiA:

Pls wen you mention something uncommon nd 'weird' like putting phone inside rice try to expatiate ,not everybody understands the reason.
For those who wonder why rice, rice is a natural dessicant(drying agent), it'd absorb d moisture in the phone but make sure d phone is completely dipped in it
.. Hmmm bro .. Rice .. I don't seem to get this part .. Is it the grain kind of rice we eat ??
Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by benueguy(m): 10:06am On Oct 01, 2016
Buy bag of rice because of handset. Tufiakwa. This is sacrilege
Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by DrayZee: 10:14am On Oct 01, 2016
Stalker365:
Most phones with an inbuilt battery usually carry a unibody design which should reduce the effects of contact with water. So, just cover the phone completely in rice and it should be fine. Better still, take it to a phone repairman as soon as possible.

1 Like

Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by freakthingz(m): 10:26am On Oct 01, 2016
Bag of rice straight

When i got my phone barely it two days as i was gettin out of the car it fell from my lap into a puddle come and see vexin

Immediately i got home i throw am inside bag of rice

2 yrs later na the same phone i they ust type now

I go do thanksgiving with the same bag of rice
Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Thisis2raw(m): 10:56am On Oct 01, 2016
Do I need to take all this measure for my Nokia 3310?
Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by matrixx9(m): 8:07am On Oct 14, 2016
benueguy:
Buy bag of rice because of handset. Tufiakwa. This is sacrilege

grin grin.
Re: 7 Things To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by henryobinna(m): 9:13am On Oct 14, 2016
the best thing, put your phone in a bowl of rice, fully immersed.

(1) (Reply)

Check Out The New Nokia 1 Smartphone That Cost Just N30,000 / More Blackberry Phones Available.... 3k / Transsion Phones Are Cursed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.