Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,673 members, 7,816,761 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water (13379 Views)

Here's What To Do If Your Smartphone Falls Into Water / What To Do And What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water / What Do You Do When Your Phone With A Non Removable Battery Falls Into Water?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by TechLector: 1:55pm On Jun 25, 2017
Any smart phone user or owner out there would agree that one of the most dreaded place(s) to hold and operate a smartphone anywhere in the world is that place with large volume of water; particularly if you don’t own a waterproof or water-resistant device.

Surely, an average smartphone user would have, one way or the other, had their smartphone drop in water. Could be swimming pools, drainage system, the kitchen sink, the toilet water closet, in the shower, on the beach, or could even be rain. There are really numerous routes via which your phone can get wet.

Thanks to the emergence and upsurge of waterproof and water-resistant devices (yes, there really is a difference) like the Homtom HT20, Samsung Galaxy S8 and S8+, Ulefone Armor 2, LG G6, Samsung Galaxy S7, Homtom HT20 Pro, Samsung Galaxy Xcover 4 etc., people have had to worry less about being overly careful when handling their devices near water bodies as they can just dip their hands into the water, remove their device, wipe it dry and they’re good to go.

However, for individuals without a waterproof device, you can do the following below to revive your smart phone back to life after the drowning experience.

WHAT TO DO

1. Firstly, whenever your smartphone drops in water, you must “quickly” remove the device out of whatever water it falls into, be it toilet water filled with urine. The faster you remove the device out of the water body, the higher its chances of survival. Reverse will be the case when you stand still, staring at your smartphone (or soon-to-be former smartphone) in awe before finally deciding to remove it after 5 minutes.
If the phone has a removable battery, the next best bet is to remove the battery.

2. If your device’s battery is non-removable, make sure you switch the device off as soon as it is out of water.

3. Afterwards, remove all other components that are removable. E.g SIM cards, SD card, back cover.

4. If you happen to know your way around disassembling a smartphone, you can go ahead and rip out every single part of the device carefully as this will hasten the drying up process. But if you aren’t tech savvy and do not have the tools or know-how to disassemble your device, skip this step and proceed to step 5.

5. Remove water on the surface with a dry cloth or preferably a towel. While doing this, be sure not to press any button or shake the device. This is to avoid the water from moving deeper into the phone.

6. Next step is to leave the smartphone to dry out for a relatively long period of time. Basically, the idea here is to put the device in an environment that will support its drying off.

7. A common practice is to dip the smartphone in a bag full of rice for 2-5 days. Rice is an effective moisture absorber, so it dries out the water in the smartphone quicker than leaving it on the shelves to dry.

WHAT NOT TO DO

When you have a smartphone drop in water, do not do the following as you could permanently damage your device.

1. Do not turn on the device immediately after removing it from water.

2. Do not, for any reason, plug the device to a power source.

3. Do not push any keys or button. You risk pushing water further into your device

4. Do not shake or blow air into the device. This also could push water into your device.

5. Do not apply any heat to the phone as excessive heat can do further damage to the phone.

source: http://go.techlector.com/sfbkx

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by TechLector: 1:56pm On Jun 25, 2017

1 Share

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by tripoli007(m): 2:01pm On Jun 25, 2017
Make I park well .. Uncle lalasticlala mynd44 . abeg make una do well

2 Likes

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by liftedhigh: 9:56pm On Jun 25, 2017
OK

1 Like

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Nobody: 9:56pm On Jun 25, 2017
Just passing
Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Bestchisom(m): 9:57pm On Jun 25, 2017
this space is not for sale.....check d space below
Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Riversides2003(m): 9:57pm On Jun 25, 2017
I remember when my 2 years old daughter was watching youtube on my IPhone6 in the washroom,after a while I did not hear any sound coming from the washroom, I rushed to check if she was doing fine only to find my phone inside the WC,a spirit inside me quickly deeped my hand inside not minding the poo, and guess what I immediately did was to run hot water on it to rinse for about 3 mins and that was the end of that phone till date. It never came alive. I have kept it and maybe by the time she is old enough to buy me a phone she will buy the latest iPhone then which might be iPhone13 plus extra.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Aare2050(m): 9:57pm On Jun 25, 2017
Kk
Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by iamVirus(m): 9:57pm On Jun 25, 2017
Story!
just put am on top zinc

1 Like

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by WORLDPEACE(m): 9:57pm On Jun 25, 2017
If your smart phone can't swim it's not that smart then, is it?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Lordseyad(m): 9:58pm On Jun 25, 2017
..nw

And my phone jxt fell into hot custard just now...

jeesu.

1 Like

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by ugopeter(m): 9:58pm On Jun 25, 2017
Hmmmmmnnnn...insightful
Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by sakalisis(m): 10:00pm On Jun 25, 2017
Okay
Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Hotfreeze: 10:00pm On Jun 25, 2017
TechLector:

1. Firstly, whenever your smartphone drops in water, you must “quickly” remove the device out of whatever water it falls into, be it toilet water filled with urine.

7. A common practice is to dip the smartphone in a bag full of rice for 2-5 days.

11 Likes

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Finger5(m): 10:00pm On Jun 25, 2017
I have personally tried that of dipping into a bag of rice and worked perfectly.

2 Likes

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by olumaxi(m): 10:01pm On Jun 25, 2017
Well..am smarter than my smart phone..i wont let it fall into water

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by maklelemakukula(m): 10:01pm On Jun 25, 2017
WORLDPEACE:
If you're smart phone can't swim is not that smart then, is it?
no it isnt
jst abandon it and get a smartphone. Problem solved
Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Bestchisom(m): 10:02pm On Jun 25, 2017
iamVirus:
Story!
just put am on top zinc
my guy
Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by ipobarecriminals: 10:02pm On Jun 25, 2017
sad i nor get phone wey go fall inside water.Wetin person dey carry phone go do inside restroom?

1 Like

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Achillesdam500(m): 10:02pm On Jun 25, 2017
Nice one Op,this kinda post should consistently be making fp not #Dayo amusa pictured in London

1 Like

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by hardeycute(m): 10:02pm On Jun 25, 2017
OP thanks for the post
Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by HeOrShe: 10:02pm On Jun 25, 2017
Nice tip

But the chances of the phone to work without visiting the a repairer is 5/100.
Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by OVA200(m): 10:06pm On Jun 25, 2017
The bestest advises are:

1. Try as much as possible not to let your phone drop into water.

2. Buy a water resistant phone

3. Try as much as possible to live without​ water grin
or
4. Don't buy phone in the first place.

5 Likes

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by enemyofprogress: 10:07pm On Jun 25, 2017
I forgoted all I read even before I finished
Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by Nobody: 10:09pm On Jun 25, 2017
I left mine in the fridge when it fell into the water,I was too impatient to clean or dry it in the sun and guess what? it spoilt! angry
Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by unknown87: 10:09pm On Jun 25, 2017
Hmmm...from toilet water to bag of rice. grin

5 Likes

Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by WORLDPEACE(m): 10:10pm On Jun 25, 2017
maklelemakukula:

no it isnt
jst abandon it and get a smartphone. Problem solved
Or just get an unsmart one.
Re: What & What Not To Do When Your Smartphone Falls Into Water by abdulhamid0(m): 10:13pm On Jun 25, 2017
What if there is sheet inside the toilet, wont you wash the device first grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

MTN SMS About N750 Recharge Card Is A Scam Beware / D / Etisalat Chat Pack Auto Renewal Cant Stop It, Why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.