Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,153 members, 7,860,131 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 06:22 AM

Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music (673 Views)

Taliban Islamists Behead 17 People Playing Loud Music / Zambian Pastor laments about Nigeria Gospel Junk exported all over Africa / Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music by Abuzola(m): 6:17pm On Oct 15, 2009
Church congregation dwindles after Muslim complains about noise

A church has been ordered to cut the amount of music played in its services after a Muslim neighbour complained that worshippers were too noisy

The Immanuel International Christian Centre, in Walthamstow, east London, can now only play music for 20 minutes on Sundays after it was served a noise abatement order.

However, the church claims that the move by Waltham Forest Council has left it lacking in soul and driven away almost three quarters of its congregation.

Pastor Dunni Odetoyinbo, 55, said the congregation has since dropped from 100 to 30.

"It has affected the life of the church completely," she said. "Most people want to come to church to sing hymns but now they can't do that. It's not such a lively place any more.

"We don't want to be a nuisance to the neighbour. All we want to do is use the church as a place of worship. We need to speak to our solicitor to see what we can do next."

The notice was served after Muslim neighbour Baha Uddin complained that he was unable to use his garden at weekends due to the noise coming from the church. He also claimed that his one-year-old daughter was disturbed by the amplified music.

He told London’s Evening Standard: “It's been a nightmare. I've not been able to use my garden or living room on a Sunday because of the church services. The amplified music, drums and the loud sermons made having a conversation impossible.

“We had to move my daughter Anisah from her cot into our bed which wasn't ideal because we want her to be used to sleeping in her cot. The noise made me depressed.”

The council said it took action against the church in May as a "last resort" and served the noise abatement order.

The church lodged an appeal, and appeared at Waltham Forest magistrates' court on Tuesday to fight their case.

But magistrates rejected their appeal and ordered the church to pay £2,250 costs.

A council spokesman said there had been no breaches reported since the notice was imposed.

"Our officers visited the church by invitation on October 23 2007 when it was explained that the noise they were generating was excessive," he said.

"Since then, we have worked extremely hard to try and resolve this situation amicably but, sadly, all attempts have failed. We are committed to protecting the quality of life for all our residents and only issue noise abatement notices as a last resort."

Speaking after the case, Andrea Minichiello Williams of the Christian Legal Centre, which provided legal advice in the case said:“Worship in a Church is to be expected.

"The Environmental Health Officers do not seem to have taken this fact into account. This is a vibrant Afro Caribbean community of Christian believers whose worship of God is fundamental to the expression of their faith.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/religion/6276099/Church-congregation-dwindles-after-Muslim-complains-about-noise.html
Re: Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music by Abuzola(m): 6:20pm On Oct 15, 2009
[b] Quran 5

77. Say (O Muhammad ): "O people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians)! Exceed not the limits in your religion (by believing in something) other than the truth, and do not follow the vain desires of people who went astray in times gone by, and who misled many, and strayed (themselves) from the Right Path."

78. Those among the Children of Israel who disbelieved were cursed by the tongue of Dawûd (David) and 'Iesa (Jesus), son of Maryam (Mary). That was because they disobeyed (Allâh and the Messengers) and were ever transgressing beyond bounds.

79. They used not to forbid one another from the Munkar (wrong, evil­doing, sins, polytheism, disbelief, etc.) which they committed. Vile indeed was what they used to do.

80. You see many of them taking the disbelievers as their Auliyâ' (protectors and helpers). Evil indeed is that which their ownselves have sent forward before them, for that (reason) Allâh's Wrath fell upon them and in torment they will abide.

81. And had they believed in Allâh, and in the Prophet (Muhammad ) and in what has been revealed to him, never would they have taken them (the disbelievers) as Auliyâ' (protectors and helpers), but many of them are the Fâsiqûn (rebellious, disobedient to Allâh).

82. Verily, you will find the strongest among men in enmity to the believers (Muslims) the Jews and those who are Al-Mushrikûn (see V.2:105), and you will find the nearest in love to the believers (Muslims) those who say: "We are Christians." That is because amongst them are priests and monks, and they are not proud.

83. And when they (who call themselves Christians) listen to what has been sent down to the Messenger (Muhammad ), you see their eyes overflowing with tears because of the truth they have recognised. They say: "Our Lord! We believe; so write us down among the witnesses.

84. "And why should we not believe in Allâh and in that which has come to us of the truth (Islâmic Monotheism)? And we wish that our Lord will admit us (in Paradise on the Day of Resurrection) along with the righteous people (Prophet Muhammad and his Companions)."

85. So because of what they said, Allâh rewarded them Gardens under which rivers flow (in Paradise), they will abide therein forever. Such is the reward of good­doers.

86. But those who disbelieved and belied Our Ayât (proofs, evidences, verses, lessons, signs, revelations, etc.), they shall be the dwellers of the (Hell) Fire.[/b]
Re: Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music by Nobody: 7:21pm On Oct 15, 2009
some churches dont do music.

Its not the lack of music that is affecting this particular church- most likely they were just discouraged. 20 mins music is enough for anything they want sing.

I'd move if I were them and let a mosque take over the building so the complainer can at least be woken up every day by a megaphone blasting out the morning prayer.

seriously though- they could try soundproofing the building or moving out of a residential area.
Re: Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music by Zikkyy(m): 8:00pm On Oct 15, 2009
I think they should move.
Re: Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music by Abuzola(m): 8:37pm On Oct 15, 2009
Tpia is not an excuse, their action simply show that they enjoy dancing i.e shaking their bottock and breast and chorussing in multitude while the men desire to watch it.

Is that how to worship God ? Did jesus sing and dance, don't tell me david did it, well david committed adultery according to the bible, why don't christiam legalize adultery

'they are those who have purchased error at the price of Guidance and torment at the price of forgiveness. So how bold they are (for evil deeds which will push them) to the fire' Quran 2 :175
Re: Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 15, 2009
Abuzola:

Tpia is not an excuse, their action simply show that they enjoy dancing i.e shaking their bottock and breast and chorussing in multitude while the men desire to watch it.

Is that how to worship God ? Did jesus sing and dance, don't tell me david did it, well david committed adultery according to the bible, why don't christiam legalize adultery

'they are those who have purchased error at the price of Guidance and torment at the price of forgiveness. So how bold they are (for evil deeds which will push them) to the fire' Quran 2 :175

is it better if they do Egyptian/middle eastern belly dancing?

Re: Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music by Nobody: 9:22pm On Oct 15, 2009
Zikkyy:

I think they should move.

I agree.

maybe to a non-residential zone.
Re: Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music by Abuzola(m): 12:00am On Oct 16, 2009
The problem here is that it is not church or the pastor, it is the member who are moving
Re: Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music by Abuzola(m): 11:13am On Oct 16, 2009
jesus said 'truly ! ALLAH is my Lord and your Lord, so worship Him alone. This is a straight path' Quran 3:51
Re: Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music by Abuzola(m): 6:59pm On Oct 16, 2009
Quran 4;174. O mankind! Verily, there has come to you a convincing proof (Prophet Muhammad ) from your Lord, and We sent down to you a manifest light (this Qur'ân).
Re: Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music by Abuzola(m): 6:56am On Oct 17, 2009
Manmustwac food, you are really a psycho, how dare you change the topic title. What a lousy fool
Re: Church Size Dwindles As Residential Area Laments Loud Music by PastorAIO: 10:23am On Oct 17, 2009
Obviously not in 9ja. In nigeria a church can even block up a whole major motorway and nobody will complain.

(1) (Reply)

Prophet Mohammed And Chriatians / Take Heed So That U Will Not Be Deceive. / Please Where Is Tudor, Ogaga4luv,tpia, Abuzola, Noetic And Others.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.