Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:54 AM

Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres (6351 Views)

Should Our Religious Centres Be Made To Pay Taxes / Your Views On The Use Of Loud Speakers In Mosque And Churches / Lagos Orders Churches To Remove Loud Speakers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by TMemos: 8:55am On Jul 04, 2010
The Guardian Newspaper Sunday July 3, 2010

THE Special Adviser to Lagos State Governor on Religious Matters, Rev. Sam Ogedengbe, has directed religious bodies in the state to remove all speakers mounted outside their main auditorium.
The directive was part of the government’s efforts to reduce noise pollution and its attendant health hazards in the metropolis.
Speaking during an interactive session with religious leaders and the press yesterday at the State Secretariat, Ikeja, Rev. Ogedengbe said it was imperative for government to revisit the need for religious houses to comply with the directives on noise pollution.
According to him, “We have received more than enough petitions from affected Lagosians over the issue of noise pollution, caused by religious houses, and there is no alternative than to make it compulsory for people to comply.”
The Special Adviser dismissed insinuations that the action was a deliberate plan to clamp down on churches and mosques, saying: “This is far from the truth. The government has always chosen to dialogue with the people of the state, but people willingly decided to flout the directives.
“The significance of the session was to enable various religious leaders contribute to the new measures we are planning to stem the volume of noise generated through their activities.”
Ogedengbe also cautioned those who claimed there is no law against noise pollution in the state to desist, saying: “Law against noise pollution is clearly stated. The problem is that such laws have not been implemented over the years”.
He suggested that religious bodies should make use of soundproof materials in their centres to reduce the impact of noise in the neighbourhood.
According to him, “Sometimes we receive up to 50 complaints in a day, across the state; in fact, there was an instance we got a complaint from a community where there were 17 churches and three mosques. This is one of the reasons we are looking into the matter to avert social unrests.”

http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 05, 2010
allahuu akbarrrrr
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by DisGuy: 12:05pm On Jul 05, 2010
“Law against noise pollution is clearly stated. The problem is that such laws have not been implemented over the years”.

and the chances of this getting implemented? Nil

too much gra gra from these special advisers
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by manheim: 12:08pm On Jul 05, 2010
a welcome development. now we can all hear word again.
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by tithe(m): 12:09pm On Jul 05, 2010
Thats lovely, dat cry from the mosque wakes me up 4am every morning i can't but bear it.
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by Kx: 12:11pm On Jul 05, 2010
Will be just fine if implemented but will it ever be implemented?
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by HellaBella(f): 12:15pm On Jul 05, 2010
Good. Next time when I'm in Lagos I won't be subjected to testimonies of cheating death at 3 am. mschewwwwwwwww
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by xtremeidea(m): 12:20pm On Jul 05, 2010
thot they had done dis b4 n it yield no result. dnt tink datz possible in lagos!!!

So how will the mosques be able to call for prayers? undecided undecided
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by Nobody: 12:20pm On Jul 05, 2010
we need this in port Harcourt,ROTIMI AMAECHI pls emulate this.
where i leave in the Amadi axes of port Harcourt is an issue of its own.more than eleven mushroom churches (all in thatched houses ) with heavy speakers surround my apartment.some hold thier service with akwa ibom,while others use calaber ,yoruba or english.
if one is not doing all night ,it is prayer band meeting and another will be doing pregnant sisters prayer or another form of prayer or all night service.
it is obvious that there must be a program in one of the churches every day of the week. saturday is choir practice and a competition day for the various church choirs as every group will want to be heard in the community.i consider this a manace and the government should do something fast.
we all have our right and freedom but they should not infringe on other peoples right and freedom.

1 Like

Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by hardywaltz(m): 12:22pm On Jul 05, 2010
I wish it could be a nation wide ban!!! In Port Harcourt these churches no dey gree person sleep!!!
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by netotse(m): 12:24pm On Jul 05, 2010
coincidentally, my parents were discussing this on saturday morning, hopefully, abuja'll be next!
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by texazzpete(m): 12:25pm On Jul 05, 2010
tithe:

Thats lovely, dat cry from the mosque wakes me up 4am every morning i can't but bear it.

Churches are far worse. People will be blasting their loudspeakers, keeping innocent Nigerians up at night all in the name of 'night vigils'.
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by ChuckD2(m): 12:26pm On Jul 05, 2010
If this is indeed implemented, it wil be a welcome development. It's high time the noise STOPPED. It is a menace. Churches and mosques to start with then these CD merchants will be next in line.

Mr "Special adviser", this shouldn't just end with the "initial gra-gra" O. Ensure that it is implemented then Lagos state will score another first.
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by DIVA201: 12:28pm On Jul 05, 2010
But what would wake me up in the morning now? tongue
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by desgiezd(m): 12:31pm On Jul 05, 2010
This is a nice one. One often wonders the essence of these loud speakers as they are not useful to those who are worshipping right inside the worshipping centres.

DIVA20.1:

But what would wake me up in the morning now? tongue

I'll advise you combine the alarms on your hand set(s) plus that of your table clock.
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jul 05, 2010
Now we are free from those night vigil noises and can sleep well at night
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by dolu2007(m): 12:35pm On Jul 05, 2010
Good one. How can i wake up by 5am without using an alarm?
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by skyndyp(f): 12:36pm On Jul 05, 2010
Smart move by Lagos govt.I wish all state will follow suit.
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by GNBohr: 12:38pm On Jul 05, 2010
i don tire make somebody come rescue me from barking and no bite laws. can you all begin to give count and list all laws federal and state that has never been implemented in the country, you may restrict yourself to lagos state. and i start:

helmet for okada riders
parking on road sides
blocking of road during religious service
road side trading and hawking
overloading by commercial vehicles
ban of smoke emitting vehicles on the road
ban on use of bad tyres by vehicles
ban of okada plying dual carriage way
ban on carrying of pregnant women on okad
ban of carrying women with babies on okada

please join me,
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by Nobody: 12:43pm On Jul 05, 2010
make we dey see
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by Iceugwa(m): 12:44pm On Jul 05, 2010
I support this cos the noise level is becoming unbearable
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by honeric01(m): 12:50pm On Jul 05, 2010
I want this done with immediate effect.
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by greateliso(m): 12:54pm On Jul 05, 2010
soundproof materials should be use instead, i think it'll help
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by oisehumen(m): 12:57pm On Jul 05, 2010
Good move and it should be backed up with action
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 05, 2010
nice one
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by Spyker: 1:04pm On Jul 05, 2010
oisehumen:

Good move and it should be backed up with action
It will never work. By the time these new generation churches start calling the special adviser "Anti-Christ", he will shut his mouth up.
I also think the Special Adviser should merge some small churches and mosques together to form a bigger church and mosques respectively.
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by DisGuy: 1:05pm On Jul 05, 2010
GNBohr:

i don tire make somebody come rescue me from barking and no bite laws. can you all begin to give count and list all laws federal and state that has never been implemented in the country, you may restrict yourself to lagos state. and i start:

helmet for okada riders
parking on road sides
blocking of road during religious service
road side trading and hawking
overloading by commercial vehicles
ban of smoke emitting vehicles on the road
ban on use of bad tyres by vehicles
ban of okada plying dual carriage way
ban on carrying of pregnant women on okad
ban of carrying women with babies on okada

please join me,

Thank you jare!!
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by oluagness(m): 1:05pm On Jul 05, 2010
Just to eliminate noise pollution.
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by DisGuy: 1:10pm On Jul 05, 2010
Spyker:

It will never work. By the time these new generation churches start calling the special adviser "Anti-Christ", he will shut his mouth up.
I also think the Special Adviser should merge some small churches and mosques together to form a bigger church and mosques respectively.

Bros, you wan spoil business shocked
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by oisehumen(m): 1:14pm On Jul 05, 2010
@Spyker

You are very funny ooo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
How possible is it to merge churches of different denominations? grin grin grin grin grin grin

Winners and RCCG to merge into one abi? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Celestial and K & S to merge? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by Spyker: 1:19pm On Jul 05, 2010
oisehumen:

@Spyker

You are very funny ooo grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
How possible is it to merge churches of different denominations? grin grin grin grin grin grin

Winners and RCCG to merge into one abi? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Celestial and K & S to merge? cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

All i mean is all this small one room churches who claim bible believing should merge with other small bible beleiving churches, If na white garment church like cherubin, Olumba Olumba, make dem merge. After all, Soludo do am for banks, another person fit do am for churches and mosques. grin grin grin
Re: Govt Bans External Loud Speakers At Religious Centres by oisehumen(m): 1:23pm On Jul 05, 2010
I understand u my brother! cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
But e no go fit work at all.
Na so so fight dem go dey fight after service on Sundays cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy.

But seriously, as a Christian, i totally support this ban.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can A Born Again Be A Politician In Nigeria? / Primary Or Secondary Virgin? / Complete Biography of Pastor Stephanie Ike.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.