Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,120 members, 7,818,360 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:25 PM

Updated: How To Write A Presentable And Job Winning Curriculum Vitae (CV) - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Updated: How To Write A Presentable And Job Winning Curriculum Vitae (CV) (1227 Views)

10 Words Never To Include On Your Curriculum Vitae / Including CGPA In Curriculum Vitae Or Resume, Necessary Or Unnecessary? / Updated-New Job Vacancies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Updated: How To Write A Presentable And Job Winning Curriculum Vitae (CV) by Getjobsng: 5:57pm On Oct 01, 2016
CV or Curriculum Vitae comes from
Latin and means “courses of life”.
It is not a CV if it cannot win you a job.
Your CV MUST stand out from that of others.
A CV is a biographic representation of your name, sex, address, phone number, e-mail address,education, background, work experience (If any), Honours and hobbies.
Of course you should know that having references in your CV helps a lot.

What is a reference?

A reference is a statement of the qualifications of a person seeking to be hired.
Most times you get this done by those you're familiar with.
It could be your family member or even your university lecturers.
This is the main reason why undergraduates need to maintain a good relationship with their lecturers while they are still undergraduates.

Types of CV

There are two major types of CV; Chronological CV and a Résumé

Chronological CV:

This type of CV is the most rampant curriculum vitae.
It mainly highlights your educational background, de-emphasizes on your skills and experience.

However, it contains more details than the résumé and is more acceptable in Nigeria for job application.

On the other hand, a Résumé is a skill based curriculum vitae and is usually called a targeted curriculum vitae because it emphasizes more on the skills and experience of the applicant.
A résumé is mostly used abroad, especially in America as well as European countries.

In writing either a CV or a résumé, your main aim should be to capture the interest of your employer, somewhat captivating him till the end of the write up knowing fully well that you are competing with thousands of graduates.

How to write a presentable and eye catching CV or Résumé.

In writing your CV or résumé, you need to use a language your recruiter will understand properly.
In Nigeria for instance, English language is being used as an official language by every establishment.

Write in plain and simplified vocabularies.

This is one of the places where most of the candidates get it wrong.
Considering the fact that every individual has got a level of understanding, you need to make your write up as simplified as possible.
Sometimes you'll even discover that your academic qualifications are higher than that of your employer.
Your employer may have ended in first degree but due to some circumstances of life, you have finished your Masters and you're currently running a doctorate degree program.
Do you expect your word bank and that of the person that ended in first degree to be the same?
You may actually think that you're playing smart by using it so that your employer will be nodding in affirmation while going through your CV unknown to you that you're ruining your application.
Using a word like Nebulous when you know that a word like vague or opaque can perfectly serve is not necessary.
Or using Preposterous when you know that the word absurd can serve perfectly and is more popular is not necessary as well.
So try and simplify your words to the minimum for a better assimilation.

Use good fonts and colours for your write up.

Your font size, style and colour matters a lot.
Make sure the font size and font style is consistent and same all through.
Black colour is preferable while writing/typing any official application.

Ensure that your CV is not stained.

Most times we try to do two things at a time.
You may be eating rice and at the same time drafting your CV.
There's every possibility that your work might get stained.

Do not make your work too long by writing irrelevant qualities.

Some candidates sometimes make the mistake of including so many points that are out of point why writing their CV.
Please be mindful of that.

A résumé should not exceed one A4 paper; while a CV shouldn't exceed two A4 sheets.

This should be so because you're not writing a letter to your childhood friend and you're not writing an argumentative essay.
You're only writing to sell yourself to the recruiter.
So, this standard should be maintained.

Sample of a CV

Read more: http://www.getjobsng.com/2016/10/How-to-write-a-job-winning-CV.html?m=1

Re: Updated: How To Write A Presentable And Job Winning Curriculum Vitae (CV) by Getjobsng: 10:58pm On Oct 01, 2016
Lalasticlala
Re: Updated: How To Write A Presentable And Job Winning Curriculum Vitae (CV) by shakol91(m): 11:53pm On Oct 01, 2016
Getjobsng:
Lalasticlala
pls can you help me review my cv and application letter for an internship job. I beg,it's urgent and I'll be glad if my request is granted. Thanks
Re: Updated: How To Write A Presentable And Job Winning Curriculum Vitae (CV) by Getjobsng: 6:43am On Oct 02, 2016
shakol91:
pls can you help me review my cv and application letter for an internship job. I beg,it's urgent and I'll be glad if my request is granted. Thanks

That's not a problem.
You can snap it and send to me on Whatsapp
But maybe you should first go through the full write up on the site because I shortened it due to the fact that they wouldn't look so good here and to avoid the stress of re-modifying it as well.
Re: Updated: How To Write A Presentable And Job Winning Curriculum Vitae (CV) by shakol91(m): 7:52am On Oct 02, 2016
Getjobsng:

That's not a problem.
You can snap it and send to me on Whatsapp
But maybe you should first go through the full write up on the site because I shortened it due to the fact that they wouldn't look so good here and to avoid the stress of re-modifying it as well.
thanks for your reply. I recently design this for a special internship job and I need experienced person to help me do the review. I only have the softcopy saved as ms word format. pls can you receive pm so that I can send the softcopy to your mail for proper review and correction. Thanks
Re: Updated: How To Write A Presentable And Job Winning Curriculum Vitae (CV) by Getjobsng: 8:10am On Oct 02, 2016
shakol91:
thanks for your reply. I recently design this for a special internship job and I need experienced person to help me do the review. I only have the softcopy saved as ms word format. pls can you receive pm so that I can send the softcopy to your mail for proper review and correction. Thanks

That's not a problem
I'd be glad to help out.

(1) (Reply)

Business Development Assistant/customer Service Representative / My Testimony / Graduate Recruitment At Fan Milk Plc

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.