Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,183 members, 7,822,005 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 12:46 AM

Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not - Programming (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not (5254 Views)

Pls Whats The Best Computer Professional Course To Do . ORACLE OR CISCO. / Team Humane App For The Blind Wins Microsoft Imagine Cup Nigeria 2016 / Whats the Basic Things To Know Before Learning Coding (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 7:48pm On Oct 03, 2016
On point, but me i know how to compile NODE.JS to EXE sha o.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 9:32pm On Oct 03, 2016
zzzzy:
Not disagreeing with what you said, since the mentioned ng.
But that's one of the problem in Nigeria, we lack innovation and creativity, outside, these languages are very important languages. But the way our economy is sef, you'd have to ignore that and go for what brings in money, in Nigeria it's more of money>passion while outside, it's passion first. We rather get a job than create a job. (and yeah, I know it's not everyone )
That is because outside people hardly go hungry or homeless even without a job, try being jobless in naija for just two months and let's see if you would still be choosing passion over food

1 Like

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by larisoft: 4:02pm On Oct 04, 2016
Badyear:

That is because outside people hardly go hungry or homeless even without a job, try being jobless in naija for just two months and let's see if you would still be choosing passion over food

As in eeeh... Badyear, e be like say you don see one or two bad years.

1 Like

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by islam1001: 7:26pm On Oct 04, 2016
dhtml18:

Really? well, I am just hearing that one now. Well, I cant be everywhere so I cannot really say sha. But in my world as a freelancer for 10 years+, I have not for once gotten a JAVA EE request. For now, I know that most of the JAVA request at the moment is ANDROID RELATED.

Trust me men, in nigeria java EE own d financial sector, if at all you want to make serious money in software dev in nigeria, java comes first
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 04, 2016
islam1001:

Trust me men, in nigeria java EE own d financial sector, if at all you want to make serious money in software dev in nigeria, java comes first
Well, I am very good with JAVA. However, it is native android apps that I have used my JAVA knowledge for - and that is trending in Nigeria. Like 99% of the money i have made as a developer in the last 2 years comes from JAVA/Android.
I am a full-stack developer, with proficiency in 10+ languages.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by islam1001: 7:50pm On Oct 04, 2016
dhtml18:

Well, I am very good with JAVA. However, it is native android apps that I have used my JAVA knowledge for - and that is trending in Nigeria. Like 99% of the money i have made as a developer in the last 2 years comes from JAVA/Android.
I am a full-stack developer, with proficiency in 10+ languages.

Well most times you build mobile apps, you build them to integrate wit something, and that something is usually written in java, at least most I have come in contact with
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 8:56pm On Oct 04, 2016
larisoft:

As in eeeh... Badyear, e be like say you don see one or two bad years.
Lol. Another sensible thread from Larisoft, thumbs up bro.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 9:38pm On Oct 04, 2016
islam1001:

Well most times you build mobile apps, you build them to integrate wit something, and that something is usually written in java, at least most I have come in contact with
That is not a requirement for building a JSON/SOAP API. I prefer NODE.JS, but i can work with any other platform be it php, python, vb.net or whatever is available.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 11:28pm On Oct 04, 2016
dhtml18:

That is not a requirement for building a JSON/SOAP API. I prefer NODE.JS, but i can work with any other platform be it php, python, vb.net or whatever is available.
Scala?

1 Like

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by islam1001: 7:39am On Oct 05, 2016
dhtml18:

Sorry sir, i would like to ask, have you ever seen any nigerian financial dealer, be it banks or payment platform using "NODE.JS","PHP"or "PYTHON"
at least i know of some asp.net, but if they where to go with those three above, security would be an issue!!! @OP am just saying
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 8:10am On Oct 05, 2016
islam1001:

Sorry sir, i would like to ask, have you ever seen any nigerian financial dealer, be it banks or payment platform using "NODE.JS","PHP"or "PYTHON"
at least i know of some asp.net, but if they where to go with those three above, security would be an issue!!! @OP am just saying
I know nothing about what language this sector uses but I know that in this case security issues should be blamed on the developer not the language, they could still face security issues on asp.net too.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 4:16pm On Oct 05, 2016
islam1001:

I have not seen any such thing - nor will I encourage such

If it is a blog, chat or social network now, ehen, you will find those boys there.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by dabigjoe6(m): 4:37pm On Oct 05, 2016
op c++ is not fading and is not going to be fading anytime soon
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by larisoft: 7:01pm On Oct 05, 2016
dabigjoe6:
op c++ is not fading and is not going to be fading anytime soon

lol. I didnt say its fading. I said its not 'hot' in Nigeria right now. Very very few job requirements mention it.

Thanks for reading and commenting, bro.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by melodyogonna(m): 9:19pm On Oct 05, 2016
i can't sight python there
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by dabigjoe6(m): 10:58pm On Oct 05, 2016
larisoft:

lol. I didnt say its fading. I said its not 'hot' in Nigeria right now. Very very few job requirements mention it.

Thanks for reading and commenting, bro.

You're right I get you now

1 Like

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 7:42am On Oct 07, 2016
larisoft:
What's hot, what's not series: languages:

This piece examines what’s reigning and what’s not for programming languages in Nigeria.

WHATS HOT

PHP: Hate or love it, PHP dominates Nigeria's programming scene. There are several reasons why this is so. One is the fact that PHP hosting is very cheap. With 3500 naira, you can host two PHP websites.
Another reason PHP reigns supreme, is the fact that the most popular content management systems e.g (WordPress, joomla majento) , used in Nigeria run on PHP. Finally, PHP is easy to learn. The Nigerian programming scene is filled with people who have very little time to learn, and yet; urgent money-needs. Hence, many Nigerian programmers start with it as a first language, and stick with it since it works.

Javascript :

Javascript is not just hot, it's on fire! Not only is javascript the undisputed king of the Web, it is fast expanding its Kingdom to previously untouchable platforms like servers, and mobile phones! Javascript is the language of mobile app frameworks like phone gap. Javascript is even used for unity game development. Javascript is the language of nodejs, angular js, ember js, and these frameworks are disrupting the Nigerian tech scene.

Apart from what javascript is already doing, it's clear that many frameworks yet to be released ll still be implemented in javascript since it's already so popular.

Javascript is so hot in the Nigerian tech scene that any programmer who refuses to learn it is seriously missing out

C#:
Gradually, c# has grown to become the dominant language of. Net (it used to be vb) . C# is also the default language for game programming (used to be c++) .

Also, c# is your best option for creating Windows desktop apps. It is also the language of xamarin which is the future of mobile app development.
The reason c# is boiling is that the language has so many frameworks and libraries that all you need to work with this language sometimes is forget coding and get a relevant degree. You ll learn the language within months after you've been employed for your degree. Also, the language has a ‘c’ in it. This means that even though its not nearly as hard as c, or c++, you almost always get the same ‘efizy’ ascribed to programmers of these other ‘fiendishly difficult’ languages.

Java SE: this is mainly for Android programming otherwise, Java is not so hot anymore. It's estimated that 70 % Nigerian smart phone users are on android so, anyone who intends to program for Nigerian Mobile phone users will sooner or later resort to java.

WHATS NOT

Java EE:
Knowing Java EE could be the distinguishing feature between a newbie and a pro, but the truth is that the demand for this skillset is shrinking. Few firms seek professionals in this segment these days and most of the projects that could be implemented satisfactorily in JAVA enterprise are now being implemented in C#. Net.

Visual basic: This is a classic case of the ‘efizy’ that characterizes the lifestyle of Nigerian programmers. There is no other reason visual basic is falling in popularity aside from the fact that it just doesn’t seem cool- not when it is rumored to be as easy as writing English Language and has a ‘basic’ in its name. Tech-savvy clients seem to have reservations about programmers that suggest to implement their projects in visual basic. And programmers tend to look down on visual basic programmers.

The guys who named this language really screwed up the language with that ‘basic’ in it.

C++:

who would have thought that c++ would eventually start fading? C++ was on fire when Symbian phones were in vogue. C++ used to be the only option for game programming, graphics simulation, and pretty much everything else that required acute optimization.

But today, a lot of factors are working furiously against this language, so much so that not only is the demand for it shrinking…but its also losing platforms on which it is relevant and will soon become a language reserved for extreme professionals in the trade.

One of these factors is the rise of the web and how every application written today aims to serve the 1billion+ users depending solely on their web browser for software. Now, its not that c++ cannot be used to make web applications, but your regular hosting company usually doesn’t have provision for that. And no; your regular programmer wouldn’t have the skill set to maintain that server either.

Another such factor is the decline of the Symbian platform: qt c++ used to be suuuper hot. Now, java android is the new black and ‘no one’ codes for Symbian anymore. Too bad for c++.

As if these are not enough, the introduction of unity game development engine which relies on c# and javascript issued yet another strong blow to c++’s market share. Unity Engine is awesome. With it, you can make awesome games and not know math. The company behind unity has a lot of money to throw around and they are winning hundreds of developers over to their platform each year, who would have otherwise relied on c++ for their game programming. Again: too bad for c++.

Please note that this is just an overview of whats trending and whats not in Nigeria; and is in no way to be interpreted as meaning that one language is superior to the other.

Did I miss a programming language that you consider hot? Please say so in the comment section

Its a bit wrong and this clearly shows that possibly you're doing alot of consumer apps or freelance apps, because someone in the Enterprise environment won't even drop PHP on that list and put Java EE on the not hot list. Are you kidding me , almost all bank apps run on Java, however though Spring is more hot than JavaEE but in the Enterprise world your list is wrong except for JavaScript. Infact Android /IOS Native development has dwindled more than anything GTbank and almost other bank apps are Hybrid because speed of development and quick time to deliver to market. Android Java SE is scarce unless your application is performance based or requires serious eye candy.

C++ has it uses inside enterprise world and now with the advent of IOT you're gonna see it alot infact in Cordova C++ is relevant because there are times you will need to create a plugin and trust me writing a plugin in different languages suck you can write the logic in C++ and use it but specific use cases sha.

This is what should be on your list

Golang is getting popular as you can build mad scalable apps and package easily. Alot of peeps in Nigeria use this but like I said if you are doing just website for normal customers you won't know all these. Spring is highly popular too , Nodejs is insanely popular , Xamarin and C# not that popular compared to Cordova and Java. Python too should be on this list not for web apps but for toolkits to handle some task migrations, configurations and stuff. Infact alot of Nigerians are using mad tools it depends on what type of project you are working on. I hoped I was able to help out
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 07, 2016
But to summarise things if you want to earn serious cool cash pls learn Java, its enterprise standard I don't know Java perfectly just enough to know what am doing. I never liked Java I preferred C# but Java is open source, runs everywhere ,has tons of library and support. Ita worldwide enterprise standard.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 11:57am On Oct 07, 2016
pcguru1:

Nodejs is insanely popular , Xamarin and C# not that popular compared to Cordova and Java. Python too should be on this list not for web apps but for toolkits to handle some task migrations, configurations and stuff. Infact alot of Nigerians are using mad tools it depends on what type of project you are working on. I hoped I was able to help out
Mind you, NodeJS is not a language, it's still JavaScript.
I agree that Python should be on the list, definitely a miss.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 1:39pm On Oct 07, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

Mind you, NodeJS is not a language, it's still JavaScript.
I agree that Python should be on the list, definitely a miss.

I never said it was one, I don't think i can call it JavaScript i just know you use JavaScript to write it, but let's just lump it under JS to avoid confusion. I think i am going to post more threads on NL,so many news and stuff to drop here. How u dey ?
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 1:41pm On Oct 07, 2016
islam1001:

PayStack might be a good example of Node but that's Payment gateway
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 2:45pm On Oct 07, 2016
pcguru1:

I never said it was one, I don't think i can call it JavaScript i just know you use JavaScript to write it, but let's just lump it under JS to avoid confusion. I think i am going to post more threads on NL,so many news and stuff to drop here. How u dey ?

I'm good man, I guess you could help grow friendosphere.com when it's fully upgraded and stable.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by FrankLampard: 5:56pm On Oct 07, 2016
islam1001:

U sef.

Voguepay.com was built with PHP, go and hack it.
http://builtwith.com/Voguepay.com

Same with simple pay

http://builtwith.com/simplepay.com

Paystack
http://radar.techcabal.com/t/customer-success-engineer-at-paystack/7755

QuickTeller.com is made with ASP.NET
http://builtwith.com/quickteller.com

Do some research before you argue.

1 Like

Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by talk2hb1(m): 7:05pm On Oct 07, 2016
islam1001:

Voguepay (Joomla Framework)
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by islam1001: 9:06pm On Oct 07, 2016
FrankLampard:

U sef.

Voguepay.com was built with PHP, go and hack it.
http://builtwith.com/Voguepay.com

Same with simple pay

http://builtwith.com/simplepay.com

Paystack

QuickTeller.com is made with ASP.NET
http://builtwith.com/quickteller.com

Do some research before you argue.

well good to hear , but i have still not come across anybody using "voguepay" OR "simplepay" , or do you use it , also etranzact do not use PHP for anything at all, they built quickteller with ASP and their payment platform etranzact.com with JAVA not PHP

And also i think you did not read the comments from users after reading that PAystack built their engine with PHP

Am not saying you can,t use PHP to build Applications, what am saying is it should not b used when working on Enterprise systems, may be you should check the meanings of enterprise software https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_software

and i think you should check this out https://www./20141114182637-12880086-php-vs-asp-net-what-you-should-really-be-comparing-instead
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by FrankLampard: 10:53pm On Oct 07, 2016
islam1001:

well good to hear , but i have still not come across anybody using "voguepay" OR "simplepay" , or do you use it , also etranzact do not use PHP for anything at all, they built quickteller with ASP and their payment platform etranzact.com with JAVA not PHP

And also i think you did not read the comments from users after reading that PAystack built their engine with PHP

Am not saying you can,t use PHP to build Applications, what am saying is it should not b used when working on Enterprise systems, may be you should check the meanings of enterprise software https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_software

and i think you should check this out https://www./20141114182637-12880086-php-vs-asp-net-what-you-should-really-be-comparing-instead

I don suffer oh. Someone is teaching me the meaning of Enterprise Software. Larisoft see wetin u cause. dhtml18 come and see.

NAwa oh.

Check this out http://builtwith.com/etranzact.com

https://www.similartech.com/websites/etranzact.com

https://w3techs.com/sites/info/etranzact.com

Come back and argue again.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 07, 2016
FrankLampard:

I don suffer oh. Someone is teaching me the meaning of Enterprise Software. Larisoft see wetin u cause. dhtml18 come and see.

NAwa oh.

Check this out http://builtwith.com/etranzact.com

https://www.similartech.com/websites/etranzact.com

https://w3techs.com/sites/info/etranzact.com

Come back and argue again.

The builtwith.com bot behaves somehow and can be tricked when trying to discover the programming language or technology used. Check this: http://builtwith.com/rangostudios.com
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by FrankLampard: 7:03am On Oct 08, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

The builtwith.com bot behaves somehow and can be tricked when trying to discover the programming language or technology used. Check this: http://builtwith.com/rangostudios.com

Where are you driving at? I didn't only used builtwith there.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 7:14am On Oct 08, 2016
FrankLampard:

Where are you driving at? I didn't only used builtwith there.
https://www.similartech.com/websites/rangostudios.com

I know, I'm just trying to show that those sites can't predict well at all times.
Why can't they tell me what that site is using?

They way it crawls websites isn't that nice for server side languages, e.g: I bet that If I upload a single PHP file with the '.php' visible in the url, those sites bot will say the site made use of PHP as it's server side language, whereas it may not be true.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by FrankLampard: 7:26am On Oct 08, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

I know, I'm just trying to show that those sites can't predict well at all times.

Just like I said in one of my comments in one of the threads. It is a new system so they are still gathering information about websites on the web.

So for now. Website's with Python and even some sites with NodeJs framework, can't show effectively.

But for sure if the platform can pick your site and say you used a particular technology. It won't lie at all.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by FrankLampard: 8:35am On Oct 08, 2016
DanielTheGeek:

They way it crawls websites isn't that nice for server side languages, e.g: I bet that If I upload a single PHP file with the '.php' visible in the url, those sites bot will say the site made use of PHP as it's server side language, whereas it may not be true.

You said a single PHP file. Again with .php extension. It is made with PHP afterall.
Re: Programming Langauges In Nigeria 2016: Whats Hot, Whats Not by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 08, 2016
FrankLampard:

You said a single PHP file. Again with .php extension. It is made with PHP afterall.
I don't understand this, be clear.

But I mean, If I have a Node based app and I check builtwith.com, I may not see the server-side tech used but if I decided to use WordPress for the blog, or build the support centre on PHP then builtwith.com will report that PHP is the main server-side language used for the web-app which is misleading.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Building A Word Scramble Game With Javascript (text Based) / Let's Be Honest Php Sucks When Building Enterprise Applications / What Is Your Favorite IDE [lately]?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.