Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,718 members, 7,831,258 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:18 PM

Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students (2110 Views)

Tambuwal Grants Scholarship To Car-Designer, Aliyu, From Sokoto (Photos) / Kidnapped Lawmaker’s Daughter Jessica Edionwele Found With Lover - ThisDay / Fayose Commissions Lawmaker Dayo Musical Instrument (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by AloyEmeka6: 12:46am On Oct 16, 2009
Lawmaker offers scholarship to 50 students
By Eric Ugbor
Thursday, October 15, 2009
Aba—FIFTY students studying in different tertiary institutions in the country have benefited from the education endowment and scholarship scheme instituted by Mr Allwell Okere, representing Ukwa East constituency in the Abia State House of Assembly.

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/oct/15/300.html

Mr Okere disclosed this to newsmen at Akwete, headquarters of Ukwa East Local Government Area of Abia state, after presenting a vehicle and 16 motor bikes to the local government chairman and ward chairmen of the Progressive Peoples’ Alliance (PPA) in the council.

He explained that the scheme, which commenced last year cuts across all indigent students of the council, notwithstanding their political inclination.

According to him, the scheme which will run until the expiration of his present tenure in the state House of Assembly was part of the campaign promises he made to the people, to assist parents in his constituency as well as uplifting the development of education in the state.
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by AloyEmeka6: 5:06pm On Oct 17, 2009
This is what our politicians should be doing and not siphoning our money.
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by dedeike: 5:41pm On Oct 17, 2009
Aloy Emeka, you should find a better post. even you if you have been hired by PPA to deoderise the shit that their government has come to represent in Abia state, there are more intelligent ways to go about it.
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by AloyEmeka6: 5:47pm On Oct 17, 2009
Am I the journalist that wrote the report?. Also, what is wrong with giving scholarships to university students?
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by MrCrackles(m): 5:49pm On Oct 17, 2009
dedeike:

Aloy Emeka, you should find a better post. even you if you have been hired by PPA to deoderise the shit that their government has come to represent in Abia state, there are more intelligent ways to go about it.
Will you shut the fuc.k up!
What are you talking about, i mean did Aloy Write the report?
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by dedeike: 6:13pm On Oct 17, 2009
the report is petty. that a lawmaker gave schorlarship to 50 students in NIGERIA IS NOT NEWS. The member representing my constituency, in december, gave schorlarship to 100 students in university, paid 20,000naira bursary to 200 students and paid law school fees for 10 students. we hear such gist every day on NTA news. last week, olusola oke PDP rep from osun even rehabilitated schools in addition to schorlarship Awards. it is not something any serious minded NAIRALANDER should send as a post. the sum total of schorlarships given by that Abia law maker is less than 5% of the bribe money he collected inorder to sign the controversial 50 BILLION NAIRA BOND for the Abia governor.
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by AloyEmeka6: 6:18pm On Oct 17, 2009
Why not post the lawmakers who gave these scholarships and lets clap for them. You sound more like a disgruntled political rival of the lawmaker. Even if he gave 1 person a scholarship, it's something. But if he stole our money to do so, I prefer he returns the money. Lawmakers rarely see money in government anyway.
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by mekuslogan: 6:21pm On Oct 17, 2009
Dedeike= crassly moronic slowpoke
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by dedeike: 6:57pm On Oct 17, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Why not post the lawmakers who gave these scholarships and lets clap for them. You sound more like a disgruntled political rival of the lawmaker. Even if he gave 1 person a scholarship, it's something. But if he stole our money to do so, I prefer he returns the money. Lawmakers rarely see money in government anyway.
1. i gave you a few examples and will resist any attempt for you to reduce this forum into a praise singing session for politicians who sign away our millions and now turn around to dole out pittance in the guise of schorlarships to his supporters.
2. i am not from ukwa east hence there may never be a cause for rivalry between me and the lawmaker.
3.In Abia state, lawmakers not only see money, they live money. each of them got a prado jeep and over 15 million in one single deal which was intended to leave the state more indebted.
4. finally, there are more serious issues that should bother us as nairalanders. if you are in search of what to praisesing then explore thiese topics: "GHana wins u-21 world cup for the first time in Africa". "Akpabio completes an internatinal Airport with the biggest runway in Nigeria" "Fashola atracts investors from singapore"
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by AloyEmeka6: 10:14pm On Oct 17, 2009
dedeike:

1. i gave you a few examples and will resist any attempt for you to reduce this forum into a praise singing session for politicians who sign away our millions and now turn around to dole out pittance in the guise of schorlarships to his supporters.
2. i am not from ukwa east hence there may never be a cause for rivalry between me and the lawmaker.
3.In Abia state, lawmakers not only see money, they live money. each of them got a prado jeep and over 15 million in one single deal which was intended to leave the state more indebted.
4. finally, there are more serious issues that should bother us as nairalanders. if you are in search of what to praisesing then explore thiese topics: "GHana wins u-21 world cup for the first time in Africa". "Akpabio completes  an internatinal Airport with the biggest runway in Nigeria" "Fashola atracts investors from singapore"

Are these two gov's you mentioned clean from embezzlement?. Are you going to swear to that effect?
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by Kobojunkie: 10:23pm On Oct 17, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Before I join the praise wagon

a) Who is this politician? Anyone have inside info on the man and his history?

b) Has he, at any time, embezzled money from the Nigerian people or even government? ( I mean if Yes, then this will be all like Obasanjo's 6000 jobs to me, or Abiola's scholarships). If Yes, was he prosecuted for the act?
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by bibiking1(m): 10:33pm On Oct 17, 2009
Ok! really i appreciate the guys good gesture and seemingly kind natured conscience! However, what are his key result areas? For what purpose was he elected? To give scholarship? I really don't want to sound unappreciative but the fella was not elected for this!
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by illusion2: 11:12pm On Oct 17, 2009
Dedeike is making sense Aloy/Funmi isnt. tongue
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by phuckNL: 3:22pm On Oct 18, 2009
I weep for all the morons in Nigeria.
I hope the scholarships were not given from the lawmakers' pocket. It better be that he fought for the allocation from the govt because the last time i checked, that's his freaking job.
2011 is around the corner. They have started buying votes. Lawmakers are supposed to represent us in the house. They ought to enact laws that would ensure that kids get this scholarships. They are not supposed to be sponsoring kids themselves. Where do you think he will recoup his investment? Hmm gee, let me see, GOVT FUNDS? Nonsenstical allacritical and ignoramorontical shenanigansity. lipsrsealed
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by DisGuy: 3:31pm On Oct 18, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

how are we sure he actually offered students scholarship,
how did he choose them,was it advertised or he just picked his cousins?
Was there a competition or was it random
Where are the students now?
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by bibiking1(m): 4:02pm On Oct 18, 2009
phuck_NL:

I hope the scholarships were not given from the lawmakers' pocket. It better be that he fought for the allocation from the govt because the last time i checked, that's his freaking job.
2011 is around the corner. They have started buying votes. Lawmakers are supposed to represent us in the house. They ought to enact laws that would ensure that kids get this scholarships. They are not supposed to be sponsoring kids themselves. Where do you think he will recoup his investment? Hmm gee, let me see, GOVT FUNDS? Nonsenstical allacritical and ignoramorontical shenanigansity. lipsrsealed

On point boss! cos thats exactly what it is!
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by FBS: 12:38pm On Oct 19, 2009
Not a bad thing to do but hmmm the above^^^ is a very valid point.
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by cudos: 12:46pm On Oct 19, 2009
i think he tried, where ever the money come from, it is very few people, been it politician or not can do it.
if 5 percent of our politicians can do the same, better. please, minus that 50 poeple from the street.
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by edikanvic(m): 1:02pm On Oct 19, 2009
Good Thing.
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by Nezan(m): 1:04pm On Oct 19, 2009
@OP; May be the guy wants another shot at the Assembly seat. Nigerian politicians will never help you out without reason.
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by lawrence83: 1:04pm On Oct 19, 2009
Aloy~Emeka:

Are these two gov's you mentioned clean from embezzlement?. Are you going to swear to that effect?
yes for sure, they should be embezzling, atleast they have something to show for the 3 years they've bin there.
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by nethacker(m): 2:03pm On Oct 19, 2009
phuck_NL:

no be u just get scholarship 2 gostudy for princeton shocked shocked i guess no be with this grammar sha like patrick obahiagbon grin grin hw r u preparing for ur departure my guy
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by Seismic007(m): 2:51pm On Oct 19, 2009
phuck_NL:

Hehehe
Guy you go wound oooooh grin
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by chosen04(f): 4:00pm On Oct 19, 2009
But why did he have to wait until now that 2011 is around the corner to give just 50 university scholarship? what was he doing since he was selected[s][/s] elected?
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by emisun(m): 4:03pm On Oct 19, 2009
just 50 people and some people are already fooled.now the devil's incarnate OBJ also said he has created 6,000 jobs.and so we should forget all his evil deeds.these people are dumb but we are even worst.check out old men looting the nation's treasury and me and u are just doing practically nothing.we are really in a sorry state.
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 19, 2009
Whats there job,after cyphoning billions of naira and election time is around d corner,then they remember d constituentcy hospital need painting,d village transformer needs to be fenced.Hw much does it cost 2 sponsor a child to a govt university.Is it harvard.The cost is less than dat they use in feeding there dogs dailt.Fools
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by 55gal(m): 4:31pm On Oct 19, 2009
Another election is coming.This the beginning of another campaign. grin
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by nich(m): 5:06pm On Oct 19, 2009
55gal:

Another election is coming.This the beginning of another campaign. grin

ma guy, how u take know. e bi like say u be CID. grin
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by Utaroz(m): 10:20pm On Oct 19, 2009
Does anyone know how much these scholarship is worth in monetary terms to each beneficiary? I think the deed is worth extolling but somehow, vital figures were omitted in the report.
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by MUZBO(m): 12:27am On Oct 20, 2009
Yeeeeee!!! Soo because a greedy a$s megalomaniac used stolen funds to educate 50 phantom malnourished bookworms I should then throw my hands up and praise him? I dont give a rat's a$s what he does to steal votes; the shameless man should just sit his butt down, make sure govt money is channeled towards infrastructure and amenities. That way he'd have helped 50,000 real people.
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by Nobody: 8:16am On Oct 20, 2009
Its good.all the constituency millions allowance they collect can benefit d grassroot people
Re: Lawmaker Offers Scholarship To 50 University Students by Nobody: 9:38am On Oct 20, 2009
Starve a Nigerian for a week and enslave him for a decade!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Governor Babangida Dumps Ibb ( Major Blow to IBB Camp) / Developer Commissions N777m Estates In Enugu / Photo: THE EVILS POLICE Do---my Encounter!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.